SmashT

October Round-up: #DayZDaily

So has 3000 on the server not been possible until now? Because '3000' was raised back in the March video/Devblog and they gave the impression it was working.

It may have been either theoretically possible back then, or hadn't been tested with all of the additions/changes they've made since then. I think the concept of serverside zombie spawns was working back then, but as to whether it was working in conjunction with the other systems is more questionable.

No, not really. 20-30 spawn around you within a 200 meter radius, they might follow you for a long while or run from afar when they hear gunshots, but they're certainly not endless.

When the server spawns them I think it will be great. As you said entering a place to get guaranteed Zombies from a script is not too great along with instantly give off a huge smoke signal, huge pointy Arrow more or less saying “ look zombies someone on is here”

Server side places can be cleared and stay clear for a while, You will never know if there is a few or many and if a human player is in the mix as well or even a whloe squad. New spawns (Human) it will be your Donald duck (Luck) entering a village or city if its clear or not.

I wonder what the dynamic is that attracts Zombies? Sound obviously but if a huge explosion goes off how far will that attract Zombies?

Will smoke attract them from afar?

Will they walk around or migrate out of cities and towns?

What will night mean to them in the game?

Edited by sav112

Now something different, i wish for an documentation maybe a video or even something like a movie in an "How-its-made" style after the full version of DayZ is released. I think it would be interesting to get some views behind the scenes of the development. I could just imagine those guys happily screaming after they have tested the server with 3000 zombies.

• Like 2

It may have been either theoretically possible back then, or hadn't been tested with all of the additions/changes they've made since then. I think the concept of serverside zombie spawns was working back then, but as to whether it was working in conjunction with the other systems is more questionable.

So basically in March it was only theoretically possible to do 3000. Maybe this explains why it's been delayed so much. Until Rocket or testers confirm that's the impression I'm left with.

Edited by -lOldBoyl-

So basically in March it was only theoretically possible to do 3000. Maybe this explains why it's been delayed so much. Until Rocket or testers confirm that's the impression I'm left with.

So, that's one of my interpretations of why Rocket is, potentially, broadcasting this success now. It is in no way based on fact, as I'm just speculating. Making the claim that this has delayed anything is a bit presumptuous at this point.

Again, the more important thing to note is that other things have changed since then (i.e. network bubble and server back-end). So not only have they been focused on other issues, but they might not have even been able to test it all working together simply because a variety of systems weren't complete.

Edited by Katana67

So, that's one of my interpretations of why Rocket is, potentially, broadcasting this success now. It is in no way based on fact, as I'm just speculating. Making the claim that this has delayed anything is a bit presumptuous at this point.

Again, the more important thing to note is that other things have changed since then (i.e. network bubble and server back-end). So not only have they been focused on other issues, but they might not have even been able to test it all working together simply because a variety of systems weren't complete.

Just have to wait and see I guess.

.... and wait.... and wait.

• Like 1

The "I read this on Reddit" line is getting old.

Reading and believing anything on Reddit, is like believing everything you read on the internet. And people who swear that Reddit is legit, needs to have their gene pool cleaned with bleach.

Seriously have some sense and get your facts from the DayZ forums.

Well Dean seems to spend most of his time there and abandoned the forums.

• Like 1

Like a bug attracted to light Rocket is attracted to indentation

I'm so excited...that zombie update teased me even more. I feel brainfisted! :o

Seriously, this is the game I always wanted to play. And I find it strange that I can't convince everyone of my friends to even get interested.

Outdated graphics and the zigzaging zeds were the two major reasons...animations third. Apparently, all these things have been fixed already.

Goddamn it this MUST be a brilliant game. Keep up the good work Dean Hall, guess some of the stuff on here can be demotivating, but I BELIEVE that in the end it all gonna be great! :beans: :beans: :beans:

Hopefully for some time to come, cause nowadays all things creative and extraordinary quickly becomes commerce. Hold on to your heart dude! :thumbsup:

• Like 3

I talk about this game a lot with my friends and they all say "It is still arma2" sad but still holds some truth!

Edited by Zanders
  • Like 2

Keep up the good work Dean Hall, guess some of the stuff on here can be demotivating,

Considering there has not been lot to discuss and frankly a bit of a communication black out I think he should be impressed we care enough about the game to still be in here. Yes we act demanding but that’s just chat on here with little bearing it at all.

It’s a sounding board for our hopes, our concerns and considering he’s not been on in months although I guess you can pop on as another account its probably had little effect anyone’s rants on here. But if the person having a wee rant can get it off his or her chest fair play.

Dean will pull it off and he's a star for giving us this kind of game and he knows we all appreciate what the team is doing. Could it have been more organised hell yes! But for shear seat of the pant developing its entertaining.

• Like 1

It’s a sounding board for our hopes, our concerns and considering he’s not been on in months although I guess you can pop on as another account its probably had little effect anyone’s rants on here. But if the person having a wee rant can get it off his or her chest fair play.

It hasn't been months, he posted here a couple of days ago. He was here today. Get your stalk on!

Edited by Max Planck
  • Like 5

It hasn't been months, he posted here a couple of days ago.

Yeah and don’t the whole world know it the way this thread lit up !  But till the last few days as most would understand what I meaning its been a long long silence from the main man.  

And going on what went on last year it with him going to ground some feared the worse.

So I guess based on the tweet that the new zombie engine will be part of standalone?

If that happens to be true I don't know if I agree. Features often add instability and while the multiplayer test was a sucess. I can't help but wonder if the Alpha could have been out earlier without it.

All I am saying is eventually it gets to be feature creep. What if a bad bug is discovered during public testing that requires them to make large changes to the code driving these features?

Lets face it and all I can comment on from watch twitch is that zombies were rubbish, very little threat and at worst a annoyance that gave away your position or presence in an area.

Glad they pulled out all the stops on the Zombies . If the Z’ds are weak and don’t work then  the rest is papering over that massive crack that will never go away. Get the basics right and build.  

Edited by sav112

So I guess based on the tweet that the new zombie engine will be part of standalone?

If that happens to be true I don't know if I agree. Features often add instability and while the multiplayer test was a sucess. I can't help but wonder if the Alpha could have been out earlier without it.

All I am saying is eventually it gets to be feature creep. What if a bad bug is discovered during public testing that requires them to make large changes to the code driving these features?

Nah, I think it is the best way to go, even if some of what you write will come true. I mean, imagine the alpha coming out with zagzagzeds - guess every gamesmag print and online would tear it apart even if it is ALPHA. Which is what we have to keep in mind here. Software in alpha stage is prone to be an annoying piece of code. They're making the best of it, I'm convinced they're really pushing their limits. When it finally comes out though, it will need a strong community to support them and make things special.

After all, I must agree that the information blackout was a bit unfortunate. Maybe not all is happening at free will though.

Oh sure, it could have been out earlier, but you would have had either badly broken zombies, or no zombies at all in a zombie game.  And that is part of public testing, finding the bugs so they can quash them.

Not planning in having a rig till march to play this so you guys testing and bashing it are taking a hit for the team but I appreciate it.  Just make sure you bash it good!

Surly Zombies hitting through walls must have been fixed :)

So reading back They hoped to have 3000 Zombies on the map - Wow.

The only thing that's confirmed by rocket's post is that the server handles the zombies now

Nowhere did he say that they already reworked the AI. It could still be the same old zigzaggin superhuman zombies, except the server controls them now

The only thing that's confirmed by rocket's post is that the server handles the zombies now

Nowhere did he say that they already reworked the AI. It could still be the same old zigzaggin superhuman zombies, except the server controls them now

Well, they've demonstrated a while back that they worked on zombie pathing. I'm not sure if they've scrapped that entirely toward their new zombie AI initiative (nor are we sure how far along that is).

But yes, all he said is that serverside zombies are working en masse.

Well, they've demonstrated a while back that they worked on zombie pathing. I'm not sure if they've scrapped that entirely toward their new zombie AI initiative (nor are we sure how far along that is).

But yes, all he said is that serverside zombies are working en masse.

I got the impression they scrapped the whole AI system (I think that would include pathing). I think it was in March they released a video of the improved pathing system... but then in June or July (at one of the events) it was clear that the zombies still had severe pathing issues.

Fix that Alt F4 thing as well :) hate to see players bail out when the fight turns to crap for them too.

Edited by sav112

I got the impression they scrapped the whole AI system (I think that would include pathing). I think it was in March they released a video of the improved pathing system... but then in June or July (at one of the events) it was clear that the zombies still had severe pathing issues.

Would not be surprised if someone joined the staff from ARMA III and thought ok the Zombies are shit because they are based on XYZ that was never meant to zombie actions.

Lets start again and nail it!