SmashT

Gamescom - August 2013 - Interviews/Gameplay

I'm not excited to return to Chernarus though really, I'm so bored of it in Dayz, I haven't really played much since Sept last year and every time I try to go back I'm just bored of the map. Really you have Cherno and Elektro where everyone hangs and most of everything else gets ignored........ they really need to sort out spawn areas, they need to put a big city in the middle with a river going through, just to get people to move around the map. 

I'm wondering right now when Dayz will be on that big ARMA 3 map that is soon to be released next month and why isn't anyone porting that amazing take of helicopters map for Dayz?

Chernarus Plus is different. 

It may have the same names of towns etc but there are loads of additions, changes that will make exploring Chernarus worthwhile.   You have Utes off the coast, a totally new area up north and many things added in between. Rumours of a prison on Skalisty, a wrecked oil tanker, two large additions to the Cherno surrounds and 95% of buildings enterable.

For me Chernarus is still the best map and even though i have always checked out the new maps i always end up going back there.  Taviana and Lingor held my attention for a while but not so much the rest.

I do agree though i would love to see DayZ on Altis (Arma 3 large island) and a fully rendered Seattle from TOH would be awesome, but probably at this stage, impossible.  I have run through the streets of Seattle using All in Arma and the buildings are not nice up close!

• Like 8

Also, I think I might like it better if we had some UI rather than the game saying "You feel like having a drinky", or "you're bleeding". While I don't want the UI to take over the entire screen and look like a halo helmet, it still seems like a better choice to have a clean UI than a textbox stating how you feel.

They're place holders until suitable sound fx and such are added. Dean mentioned it recently.

I hate to break to you guys, but when the Standalone is finally out , everyone will just be busy playing Battlefield 5 or Call of duty 15 . So everybody chill out . You're talking about the game as if it's on your computer right now . In fact , you talk like you are ALT Tabing between DayZ and The Forums .

Who know how long this network bubble thingy is gonna take . And are you ready to walk around cherno with no vehicles . I'm sure Dean wants the best for his game , it's his baby , but Cherno is not small . Imo people will just hang out south till vehicles are finally in(it's an opinion, that's what I'd do) . Am not saying delay the standalone to the time of Battlefield 6 to get the new vehicles in , I think the old vehicle system is not that bad , I'm sure touching rocks and flying into the air can be overlooked , it's sustainable . I mean , would it hurt if the alpha is released with old vehicles . Some people *me* will keep complaining on the forums about it .

I'm sure there are bigger issues that vehicles like *co...zombies..ugh* *cou..zig zagging...gh* . ;)

I am pretty sure that you are very wrong about players staying south of the Map just because there are no Cars and such in the Alpha release.

While playing the Mod me and my friends have never used a Car or any other vehicle to get around the whole of the Chernarus Map.

A car makes you a huge target for everyone with a sniper rifle or any weapon. Way to loud and your paths are somewhat limited.

"Stay on them roads or we'll be slow as a dead cat in deep snow!"

Edited by NightmareGER
  • Like 8

nope ... they have been asked on Gamescom if a part of the team will move on to other projects after the "final" release and they clearly said NO. After releasing the map of Altis in september the whole team will be busy with working on the campaign dlc's, patching and bugfixing. Then they will start working on addons and new content and releasing the new dev tools etc etc..as they said probably for a few years...just think of how big Altis is... i don't think they are doing one campaign and then stop using it...

The DayZ team is expanding quite a lot, so much so that they are moving to a larger office next week (which they have already outgrown). Personally I think it's pretty doubtful that none of those new staff are from the ArmA 3 team - probably just trying to avoid a situation with the ArmA community getting upset because the campaign and other stuff still isn't done yet team members are being moved to other projects. Comparatively I expect the ArmA team to always be much larger (100-150 vs 20-30 for DayZ currently) but I don't believe for a second that nobody will be moved around after release.

The actual work on the bubble won't begin for another week, as we're moving offices as we don't have enough room for new staff. Hilariously, we're growing so fast we already know our new location won't be big enough, so we have to soon move again!

Edited by SmashT
  • Like 1

The DayZ team is expanding quite a lot, so much so that they are moving to a larger office next week (which they have already outgrown). Personally I think it's pretty doubtful that none of those new staff are from the ArmA 3 team - probably just trying to avoid a situation with the ArmA community getting upset because the campaign and other stuff still isn't done yet team members are being moved to other projects. Comparatively I expect the ArmA team to always be much larger (100-150 vs 20-30 for DayZ currently) but I don't believe for a second that nobody will be moved around after release.

Why don't they just reschedule the move to an even bigger office then?

Why don't they just reschedule the move to an even bigger office then?

Because the older is so small that anything is better for the time they've to wait for the even bigger office?

Because the older is so small that anything is better for the time they've to wait for the even bigger office?

Guess so. Maybe it would save them money? Who knows.

Cracked up roads with chunks of tar missing and the piles of leaves look cool. Nice and atmospheric :) 

• Like 2

Comparatively I expect the ArmA team to always be much larger (100-150 vs 20-30 for DayZ currently) but I don't believe for a second that nobody will be moved around after release.

The team working on Arma 3 consists of about 70 people and yes, a small number of them will be devoted to DayZ.

The team working on Arma 3 consists of about 70 people and yes, a small number of them will be devoted to DayZ.

the different teams are working together anyway and for sure a few resources can bet set free at BI for DayZ in the near future but people should not expect a big push because half of the arma team will work then on DayZ after Altis has been released in september...but who knows.. :)

I love that DayZ is third person, I really only use first person the odd time in a building.

I plead to Rocket don't force me to use first person, honestly makes me feel sick. After 15-20 minutes the game is unplayable. Had the same issues with Half Life 2.

Cheers.

I love that DayZ is third person, I really only use first person the odd time in a building.

I plead to Rocket don't force me to use first person, honestly makes me feel sick. After 15-20 minutes the game is unplayable. Had the same issues with Half Life 2.

Cheers.

Welcome to join the discussion. :)

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/145895-first-vs-third-person-discussion-dslyecxi-video/

Yeh, you might wanna put a tin hat on before jumping in though.  Turns out people are very passionate about cameras.

• Like 2

Yeh, you might wanna put a tin hat on before jumping in though.  Turns out people are very passionate about cameras.

yea cuz it only affects EVERY facet of ones playtime..

so yea its kinda big deal.

esp for me, im literaly 99.9% in 3rd person, it takes a VERY specific set of reasons for me to switch to 1st. and then its right back to 3rd.

cheers.

yea cuz it only affects EVERY facet of ones playtime..

so yea its kinda big deal.

esp for me, im literaly 99.9% in 3rd person, it takes a VERY specific set of reasons for me to switch to 1st. and then its right back to 3rd.

cheers.

Off topic but it has been for a fair few posts so I shall just say this.

I like 3rd Person primarily because it makes the mod easier. Which is nice because it's buggy as tits and on a platform that wasn't meant to be bent into a DayZ shape.

However, with the Standalone I hope they make sound more of an impact to gameplay and remove your 3rd person capability to be more immersive and intense. So for instance, in the mod you can 3rd person to look over a wall or around a corner to see if anyone is there.

Where as in 1st person you can lean around a corner to peak, or try and listen out for people. It would certainly be intense as fuck.

• Like 6

I am pretty sure that you are very wrong about players staying south of the Map just because there are no Cars and such in the Alpha release.

While playing the Mod me and my friends have never used a Car or any other vehicle to get around the whole of the Chernarus Map.

A car makes you a huge target for everyone with a sniper rifle or any weapon. Way to loud and your paths are somewhat limited.

"Stay on them roads or we'll be slow as a dead cat in deep snow!"

That's the point , I like being a target :D . That's how you get stuff done . I don't hide in bushes :D .

Ps: It's just an opinion opened for error . I know am wrong by the way . Human curiosity is way to strong of a force to be ignored . Adventure is what kept Man alive , even though it's just a game , the love of discovering is way too tempting to resist , even if you or anybody, is lazy as me .

Edited by kalashinkov

gotta leave third person in, it's just a more fun play style regardless of immersion

The reason I like third person is because first person feels too fidgety, like it feels like I'm fighting the animation which is still moving my screen. 

Hi All, I need new friends! I am glad to see you!

That spam, though