SmashT

Gamescom - August 2013 - Interviews/Gameplay

And I'm suggesting that, instead of ingame tutorials, we get a good old manual. Would probably be a good deal faster to make, and could be more informative.

I hope they utilise that professional writer, hinted at in an interview, to write a manual in the shape of a report or article full of lore and background.

Also to start the game you must use the manual to find the correct words on the correct pages, asked by the game on startup. Watertight piracy system!

• Like 2

Also to start the game you must use the manual to find the correct words on the correct pages, asked by the game on startup. Watertight piracy system!

How about a 'Dial-a-Bandit' wheel?

• Like 1

Is it EGAM3RS that has been the only one that discovered the readable books in Gamescom?

/Oh PurePassion also got some look about the books. http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/146143-my-detailed-dayz-standalone-report-from-gamescom-2013/?p=1447852

It's those little details that makes me love this game when it's released. Learning another language which wouldn't be even possible in the school that I educated is such a fun thing.

Edited by St. Jimmy

We should consider adding another phrase to our Dean Hall Dictionary. Inbetween "network bubble" and "server-client architecture" should be the entry "rogue-like feedback."

Currently you can load "virgin" boxes of ammo (20 cartridges in cardboard) directly into a magazine. I coded this change specifically on the basis of observing players on the first day at GC. You can load loose rounds into a magazine also. You can also load loose cartridges into ammo tins you find, which can hold up to 300 rounds. So, in summary, there are three ways to load a magazine. I'm also considering allowing "drag and drop" of one magazine onto another - to combine contents.

But, there are several factors to consider, and they are not trivial:

• magazines serve an important purpose, more magazines enable a player to engage in "easy" reload during combat... ergo they can sustain a firefight longer.

• extending ammo out beyond magazine frees magazines from being "fixed" in terms of their ammo. You can split out your ammo into a pile and divide it with your buddies.

• ammo can now be spawned in "less than magazine" amounts. i.e. piles of x rounds, such as 5 rounds or 2 rounds. This will create a real value in ammunition (currently in the mod, I routinely find myself not bothering to collect ammo). In SA, I foresee people ditching valuable medical and food equipment just to carry some ammo they found while carrying a full load.

• the demo gives you a heap of ammo at once and a single empty magazine. In other words, you have to load it all at once. The mission is essentially a deathmatch, with players reconnecting when they die. I believe this gives an artificial sense of having to load the damn magazine all the time.

• magazines can't be held in the hand yet - so you have to either drop it on the ground or put it in an empty space. We experimented with loading rounds directly into the mag on the weapon - but that resulted in the unintended consequence of never needing another magazine, or to reload. once we have magazines in hands, it becomes a bit easier. Not much, but certainly some.

• loose rounds, quite perhaps, meet the test for a currency. They possess a tangible value and they can be divided into any quantity.

One important thing I have learned, not just as a designer but in all my occupations, is: Don't forget to examine the positives, when you identify the negatives. The balance of the two is your design decision.

My current thought is while it a bit annoying to load your magazines, the positives of this new system grossly outweigh the negatives. It's still an open question.

source: http://redd.it/1l0r9t

and also very nice:

The plan we have is that different slots will have different selection times overall (not limited to just magazines). However, adding this kind of thing won't delay the alpha so I wouldn't expect it on the release of alpha.

So this means using an item from a vest would be faster than using one from your backpack.

source: http://redd.it/1l1h1o

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 5

I am not sure about the manual thing....when I started playing the mod It took me a good while ( days to be honest) to find out how backpacks work and how to make a campfire etc  :blush:  Imagine how long it will take now to learn everything with all the cool new game mechanics and micromanagement. You will probably find out new stuff even after weeks maybe months just by accident...that's great I think

• Like 5

I am not sure about the manual thing....when I started playing the mod It took me a good while ( days to be honest) to find out how backpacks work and how to make a campfire etc  :blush:  Imagine how long it will take now to learn everything with all the cool new game mechanics and micromanagement. You will probably find out new stuff even after weeks maybe months just by accident...that's great I think

Any kind of manual/tutorial should consist of,

Take all previously gained gaming knowledge..

Discard..

Apply common sense and logic.

• Like 4

I would like to know if attachments like the stock on the m4 would actually affect weapon handling, like recoil?

I don't see this mentioned in any of the videos, looked like it was more for aesthetics?

I would like to know if attachments like the stock on the m4 would actually affect weapon handling, like recoil?

I don't see this mentioned in any of the videos, looked like it was more for aesthetics?

This was touched on here http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/1ktf9o/gamescom_2013_dayz_standalone_all_new_gameplay/cbtcczg?context=3

Looks like we could see subtle differences to handling.

I think some things I'm concerned about are the walking and running animations. I have a feeling they are placeholder, but they just don't seem as 'in-depth' as the ArmA 3 animations were that they had originally. I have a feeling those animations are just there so they can start implementing the new skeleton without having to switch out the animations later... if that makes sense.

Also, I think I might like it better if we had some UI rather than the game saying "You feel like having a drinky", or "you're bleeding". While I don't want the UI to take over the entire screen and look like a halo helmet, it still seems like a better choice to have a clean UI than a textbox stating how you feel.

• Like 1

has this been posted before anywhere?

Some things I can confirm as currently implemented:

• you can fill water bottles in bodies of water, by placing the bottles in your hand and looking at a fresh water surface

• if you go into water, your clothes will get wet. This can cause you to get hypothermia or suffer other cold-related effects. You will then need to dry the clothes, such as by being near a fire or by just waiting for them to dry. If you are not swimming, just your boots and pants get wet. If you are swimming, all items get wet.

some things that are planned/in discussion:

• swimming being developed similar to A3. But realize A3 is using DX11 and DZ is not - so some magic is required.

• cleaning items is being considered, but is unlikely due to seeming to be unnecessarily complex without any real benefits to gameplay.

• fishing is planned but nothing has been done yet

• filling salt water into bottles for nefarious purposes and "player freedom to choose the bad way", is being considered

source: http://redd.it/1l0t22

loooove the bold part ;)

edit: so maybe this again could be a time to help on this topic: http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/142873-give-us-full-control-darwins-dream/?p=1407980

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 1

This has one source, pure and simple:

Simulation for damage has been moved to the server in its entirety. In SP, the DayZ mission *chugs* badly. I asked the test team just before and they have reported them being smooth to.

Basically, it makes the game run at similar to as it does in the editor.

What impact does this have on hitboxes? Most FPS games I play the hitboxes seem to lag behind the body a lot, you'll run past a corner and then die....

I've never experienced this with Dayz and don't want it to end up being bad like BF3 is or even every frigging Source game I've ever played.

I'm not excited to return to Chernarus though really, I'm so bored of it in Dayz, I haven't really played much since Sept last year and every time I try to go back I'm just bored of the map. Really you have Cherno and Elektro where everyone hangs and most of everything else gets ignored........ they really need to sort out spawn areas, they need to put a big city in the middle with a river going through, just to get people to move around the map. 

I'm wondering right now when Dayz will be on that big ARMA 3 map that is soon to be released next month and why isn't anyone porting that amazing take of helicopters map for Dayz?

I'm not excited to return to Chernarus though really, I'm so bored of it in Dayz, I haven't really played much since Sept last year and every time I try to go back I'm just bored of the map. Really you have Cherno and Elektro where everyone hangs and most of everything else gets ignored........ they really need to sort out spawn areas, they need to put a big city in the middle with a river going through, just to get people to move around the map. 

I'm wondering right now when Dayz will be on that big ARMA 3 map that is soon to be released next month and why isn't anyone porting that amazing take of helicopters map for Dayz?

problem really seems that they have a fairly small team. smaller than i.e. i've personally expected. There will be villages, fields, even new towns and mountain villages in the new northern area from what i've heard and then again the new revalued locations, stary sobor as THE example for the moment. i i.e. really expect elektro and cherno to become and feel like  major towns. they seemed far too sterile and hmm.."plastic" maybe the wrong term... just not authentic i guess. more like  a "nuketown" ;)

well there is my proposal: http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/142995-more-atmospheric-towns-places-with-their-own-design-and-character/?p=1409225

and they really try to change the character of the forests and large wilderness, to provide more opportunities for firefights etc. i am really looking forward, especially when - eventually - "all" forces from arma3 will come to aid Rocket and his team of Spartans ;)

Edited by joe_mcentire

I still enjoy playing on Chernarus even after over a year? I find it by far the most interesting map.

But is that just me being weird I wonder, cos I can understand people getting bored of it.

filling salt water into bottles for nefarious purposes and "player freedom to choose the bad way", is being considered

has this been posted before anywhere?

source: http://redd.it/1l0t22

loooove the bold part ;)

Doesn't have to be the "bad way" though. I could keep two bottles, one with fresh water and one with salt. People asking for water will get the fresh one. A murderer have 50% chance of taking the wrong one (if he only take one).

and they really try to change the character of the forests and large wilderness, to provide more opportunities for firefights etc. i am really looking forward, especially when - eventually - "all" forces from arma3 will come to aid Rocket and his team of Spartans ;)

this will not really happen....as stated BI is planning to work on A3 for the next couple of years...

this will not really happen....as stated BI is planning to work on A3 for the next couple of years...

Work on it and support it, yes. But once the game is fully released some of the team will move to help Dean and Co in developing DayZ while core members will stay on A3.

I see nothing boring about micromanaging my ammo. 

I've always enjoyed, and look forward to, those moments when you're with your team dividing up loot, micromanaging gear. 

I hate to break to you guys, but when the Standalone is finally out , everyone will just be busy playing Battlefield 5 or Call of duty 15 . So everybody chill out . You're talking about the game as if it's on your computer right now . In fact , you talk like you are ALT Tabing between DayZ and The Forums .

Who know how long this network bubble thingy is gonna take . And are you ready to walk around cherno with no vehicles . I'm sure Dean wants the best for his game , it's his baby , but Cherno is not small . Imo people will just hang out south till vehicles are finally in(it's an opinion, that's what I'd do) . Am not saying delay the standalone to the time of Battlefield 6 to get the new vehicles in , I think the old vehicle system is not that bad , I'm sure touching rocks and flying into the air can be overlooked , it's sustainable . I mean , would it hurt if the alpha is released with old vehicles . Some people *me* will keep complaining on the forums about it .

I'm sure there are bigger issues that vehicles like *co...zombies..ugh* *cou..zig zagging...gh* . ;)

• Like 1

Work on it and support it, yes. But once the game is fully released some of the team will move to help Dean and Co in developing DayZ while core members will stay on A3.

nope ... they have been asked on Gamescom if a part of the team will move on to other projects after the "final" release and they clearly said NO. After releasing the map of Altis in september the whole team will be busy with working on the campaign dlc's, patching and bugfixing. Then they will start working on addons and new content and releasing the new dev tools etc etc..as they said probably for a few years...just think of how big Altis is... i don't think they are doing one campaign and then stop using it...

Edited by Private Evans