DemonGroover

First vs Third Person Discussion (Dslyecxi video)

Are you not able to immerse into movies or books?

Not?

Then why watching or reading?

Just think about and see how the "1st person = immersion" argument is nonsense.

Ever played Jagged Allience 2 to an extend? It can happen that if you dream or take a pie after a session you are actually thinking about how many action points you need to make your way to the kitchen. If a third person turn based game can create such a situation, then point is proven, doesn't it?

Movies? books? the hell you talking about, TPV is a cheap way of looking over corners and over things and not risking yourself, nothing more.

Here is another way to sum up the stupid of your argument.

You are comparing flying a RC areoplane to actually flying an aeroplane.

The words what you are searching for are "atmosphere" and "dense". Because that's what the 1st person view in DayZ means: the atmosphere for you is a little more dense.

You know, point is, your brains the same, regardless if watching a movie or playing a game. Fear is fear, its not sth entirely different, because you have another medium.

Edited by Ken Bean

The words what you are searching for are "atmosphere" and "dense". Because that's what the 1st person view in DayZ means: the atmosphere for you is a little more dense.

You know, point is, your brains the same, regardless if watching a movie or playing a game. Fear is fear, its not sth entirely different, because you have another medium.

Except that you do not control the character in a movie or a book.

Ha! Except for choose your own adventure!

I was thinking about that when I posted the comment lol.

Absolutely, this makes games different. I didn't say that games are movies.

Absolutely, this makes games different. I didn't say that games are movies.

I was essentially saying that your argument,

If you ever have been to a movie in the cinema, big one, like the old Indiana Jones movies, sth like Lord of the Rings or maybe Blade Runner or a film by Schwarzenegger or whatever, you can get sought in. Its not like "Huh, the movie is 3rd person, I'm not in 1st person the hero, I absolutely cant watch it..." Nope, 3rd person actually woks and even pretty well.

is completely invalid because the person watching the movie cannot control the character(s).

is completely invalid because the person watching the movie cannot control the character(s).

Unless you're insane and think you can.

Unless you're insane and think you can.

Well, that's a completely new level of immersion right there.

• Like 1

Nice assertion their though entirely baseless - how exactly does it "make sales"

I'll answer that for you - it doesn't. See how much more COD and BF sell and they're 1st person only, so by your own logic you have successfully shot yourself in the foot - well done, have a banana.

Banana-2.jpg

WOW that's a big banana - it took ages to peel it too :)

Having read your reply I must agree you must spend a lot of time playing with your banana .

cheers

Having read your reply I must agree you must spend a lot of time playing with your banana .

cheers

If pointing out one's contradictory text therefore means they play with their banana a lot...then yes, he deserves his banana play time.

We talked about immersion, not about control. I also din't say that you could control the film you are watching. Maybe there are interactive films, but let's don't even think in that direction. ^^

As said, the whole is more than the sum of its parts.

If immersion would be 1st person, they would have called it 1st person.

Edited by Ken Bean

We talked about immersion, not about control. I also din't say that you could control the film you are watching. Maybe there are interactive films, but let's don't even think in that direction. ^^

You stated that movies done in 3rd person are generally better than movies done in 1st person. Now obviously your statement is there to support your argument that 3rd person is superior to 1st person in DayZ, or to compare with video games.

You stated that movies done in 3rd person are generally better than movies done in 1st person. Now obviously your statement is there to support your argument that 3rd person is superior to 1st person in DayZ, or to compare with video games.

3rd or 1st person are nothing else but viewpoints, what perspective a cam has. What I tried to say is that immersion can be created with both. For being immersed the perspective is not the super-über-major factor, like 1st person fantics claim to times. Key element is dense believable atmosphere and a consistent world. You can have this in a book as well as in a movie. Yes, you probably can't control the movie, but this also is not the key element to immerse into sth. Can't be that difficult to  track my argumentation.

Edited by Ken Bean
  • Like 1

There are very few movies told from a first person perspective. A few interesting ones though.

3rd or 1st person are nothing else but a viewpoints. What perspective a cam has.

It's a narrative point of view as well. To be fair the most immersive would be second person perspective (from a narrative standpoint, pretty impossible to do in a game with a camera). This was used in the first text based adventure games for example.

These are written from a second person perspective as well. :)

Edited by Terrorviktor
  • Like 1

I keep going back to this:

It looks like a fix to me (if view height was locked at head height), at least mostly, and an acceptable transition between views. If the TPV was modified this way would it not be able to exist on servers with FPV enabled? I hope it is being considered at least as a starting point, as TPV is staying for the moment.

Edited by Jamz
  • Like 1

I liked Blair Witch Project and Cloverfield.

I recently saw The Bay, you should check that out too if you like the found footage genre :thumbsup:

• Like 2

I recently saw The Bay, you should check that out too if you like the found footage genre :thumbsup:

I've seen it, it's okay, very good. Interesting film, cause the perspective constantly switches the roles. You are either the cam of a tv team or a smartphone or security cams, webcams, cams of wittnesses and so on. Your are all-knowing like the NSA. :D

Edited by Ken Bean
  • Like 2

It looks like a fix to me (if view height was locked at head height), at least mostly, and an acceptable transition between views. If the TPV was modified this way would it not be able to exist on servers with FPV enabled? I hope it is being considered at least as a starting point, as TPV is staying for the moment.

Looks completely legit to me, what you 1st person guys say? Exploits everywhere?

If pointing out one's contradictory text therefore means they play with their banana a lot...then yes, he deserves his banana play time.

Ok Ill try and keep this simple for him , Arma 2 since release up untill DayZ mod came out had sold just over 1 million coppies , since then untill very recently the sales of Arma 2 have more than doubled in a much shorter space of time , solely because of the DayZ mod . I never said anything about COD or BF .

Oh and Inception I think you misunderstood my post I was politely calling him a wanker .

cheers

I never said anything about COD or BF .

No, but you said " 3rdp view works...it makes sales", to which he replied with his comment regarding CoD and Battlefield.

Oh and Inception I think you misunderstood my post I was politely calling him a wanker .

cheers

That part was painfully obvious. 

Cheers.

Indeed. This, I would also accept.

• Like 2

No, but you said " 3rdp view works...it makes sales", to which he replied with his comment regarding CoD and Battlefield.

That part was painfully obvious. 

Cheers.

Oh ok well I was talking about DayZ I assumed in a discussion about Dayz on the DayZ forum it would be kind of obvious , sorry my bad , I don't know anything about Cod or BF so I cant comment on those games .

cheers

Edited by SMLE

Oh ok well I was talking about DayZ I assumed in a discussion about Dayz on the DayZ forum it would be kind of obvious , sorry my bad , I don't know anything about Cod or BF so I cant comment on those game .

cheers

Sigh.

You said that third person works and it makes sales, so leave it in DayZ.

Mr. Wanker replied saying that Call of Duty and Battlefield are in first person only and they make sales, far more than most 3rd person games.

Do you understand?

Edited by Inception.
  • Like 1