Sign in to follow this  
thisisPyro

Game needs a sniper heavier than 7.62

So you yield the realism argument. Good.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Now lets work on the balance. At this point, taking down a chopper and building a chopper are not equivalent. It takes much more gear, much more teamwork, and much more luck to shoot one down then to build one. I am not proposing we introduce stinger missiles that insta gib choppers, I am proposing a heavier caliber BOLT action rifle that can penetrate the glass on all the choppers and that can do render inoperable a rotor in a couple shots.(Not something you can do to a flying chopper)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      But that does not seem to be your problem, you seem to worry about pvp combat correct? I honestly do not see the difference between this and a m24 for pvp. Both would have sufficient damage to easily drop a player at range. And because its bolt action, it has the same fire rate problems. Besides would someone want to waste ammo on a non armored target or risk losing the gun for killing a couple survivors, a task they could do just as well with a m24 and probably better with a DMR?  

I entirely disagree that it takes more teamwork and gear to kill a chopper than to take one down. I've taken down a chopper crew with nothing but an M16 or an AK on several occasions, just by being patient; and like I've said before, I'm not a dedicated bandit and I don't often pvp. I have never once destroyed a chopper with a .50 weapon. That said, I've only a few times actually been able to repair a chopper and get it working. The reason you think it's more difficult to take it down is because of the game simply being glitchy, which is in its nature as a mod.

You don't see the difference between an m24 and an anti-material rifle? Really? It's only far more damaging, effective at longer distances, and has a faster rate (for the as50, which shouldn't really matter that much anyway because it's a sniper rifle, not a machine gun). If there's no difference, why would so many people have wanted to remove it from the game, so much so that it was? Why would the people that lost it be so upset that it was removed? Not many people are agreeing with you here.

Haha, your last statement. Wouldn't that make sense for somebody to do in DayZ? To not use their anti-material rifle on soft targets? I'm not quite naive to believe that; even for a second.

I once found a SVD camo with night vision scope on what looked to be a dead hackers body a while back..

that was a very special day in my life...

A night vision scoped SVD.. mmm so tasty.. it was a good as it was illegal in game

hacked scopage. 

*snip*

Saying that the SVD was issued during WW2 is just outright stupidity. The thing was introduced in the 1960s.

Again, saying that the SVD were ultilized for 'suppressive fire' is once again the definition of stupidity. 2 MOA @ 100meters means bullets will consistenly be within a group of 50mm at 100 meters. At 1000 meters it will be within a group of 50cm, which is the average shoulder width of an average male. And cheap construction you say, when most Eastern Bloc weapons are far more rugged and reliable than US/NATO equivalent. It's the design that ultilize cost-effective and efficient construction, reducing the unnecessary while maintaining the quality in which I believed that you Americans are not used to.

The SVD were a purposed-built sniper rifle. The M14 is a battle rifle which happened to be ultilized for conversions into DMRs, EBRs and all those rifle which essentially falls within the same category as the SVD.

For what you're saying is one shot one kill, every rifle can be the one shot one kill weapon. You just need the skills. Snipers are not snipers because of their weapons, it's due to all the hard work and training they have to do.

• Like 1

The MOA tests on the Dragunov didn't pass; the Soviets had to lower the bar to accept the SVD. The SVD was made to compliment a firing squad by suppressing targets the same way the AK47 was, albeit a little further away. And I'm willing to bet if Russia was better supplied when it came to the battle of Stalingrad, SVD snipers would never be called marksmen at all; the Dragunov shined as a "sniper rifle" only because in WW2, the Soviets didn't have industrial-military-transportation complex necessary to supply soldiers in the field, so for once in Russian history, every shot actually counted. The SVD doesn't compete with any sniper rifle made at its time by the US, Britain, or Germany. The Springfield, Lee Enfield, and (I'm not going to lie, I do have to google what the German snipers used) K98/Mauser absolutely blow the SVD out of the water. Accuracy and useful as a sniping weapon was sacrificed for light weight and inexpensive construction.

The SVD wasn't created until 20 years after WW2 lol. Where did you get that from?

.50 BMG sniper rifles could have a place in DayZ, but they would be incredibly impractical. 

• Like 2

.50 BMG sniper rifles could have a place in DayZ, but they would be incredibly impractical. 

I hope you can share a bit of your logic with the other people who don't think the same...

They're heavy, incredibly loud, and require you to set up in a certain position and stay there for as long as you're shooting. But it's not like you can't use them. 

.50 BMG anti-material rifles work like any other gun, they're just WAY more powerful 

• Like 1

I once found a SVD camo with night vision scope on what looked to be a dead hackers body a while back..

that was a very special day in my life...

A night vision scoped SVD.. mmm so tasty.. it was a good as it was illegal in game

hacked scopage. 

It mite not have been hacked. I found a svd npsu(night vision scope) at a chopper crash. 

I entirely disagree that it takes more teamwork and gear to kill a chopper than to take one down. I've taken down a chopper crew with nothing but an M16 or an AK on several occasions, just by being patient; and like I've said before, I'm not a dedicated bandit and I don't often pvp. I have never once destroyed a chopper with a .50 weapon. That said, I've only a few times actually been able to repair a chopper and get it working. The reason you think it's more difficult to take it down is because of the game simply being glitchy, which is in its nature as a mod.

You don't see the difference between an m24 and an anti-material rifle? Really? It's only far more damaging, effective at longer distances, and has a faster rate (for the as50, which shouldn't really matter that much anyway because it's a sniper rifle, not a machine gun). If there's no difference, why would so many people have wanted to remove it from the game, so much so that it was? Why would the people that lost it be so upset that it was removed? Not many people are agreeing with you here.

Haha, your last statement. Wouldn't that make sense for somebody to do in DayZ? To not use their anti-material rifle on soft targets? I'm not quite naive to believe that; even for a second.

Again the mil can not be taken down by an ak or an m16. Look at the video if you don't believe me. And that inst a glitch that's intentional. As for difference between an m24 and an antimaterial rifle, what does it matter the damage if both one shot kill? If I shoot you with an m24 and it kills you instantly and I shoot you with a .388/.50cal and it insta kills you does it matter which one does more damage? Rate of fire would be slower or equal on a .50cal bolt action, and yes the range would be a couple hundred meters farther. 

Again the mil can not be taken down by an ak or an m16. Look at the video if you don't believe me. And that inst a glitch that's intentional. As for difference between an m24 and an antimaterial rifle, what does it matter the damage if both one shot kill? If I shoot you with an m24 and it kills you instantly and I shoot you with a .388/.50cal and it insta kills you does it matter which one does more damage? Rate of fire would be slower or equal on a .50cal bolt action, and yes the range would be a couple hundred meters farther. 

If it's design flaw and not a glitch, the chopper glass should be changed to be penetrable by 7.62 rounds; like most other choppers in the game.

I really doubt it's intentional that they wanted the chopper to be bulletproof. I really doubt it.

The M24 is not a one-shot kill unless it's a headshot. I don't know where you're getting that from. 

You have 12,000 blood. The M24 deals 8,000 blood damage.

The AS50 deals 174,000 blood damage. It can be zeroed for twice as far, it has a faster fire rate, and it makes less noise. They're not even close to equal.

If it's design flaw and not a glitch, the chopper glass should be changed to be penetrable by 7.62 rounds; like most other choppers in the game.

I really doubt it's intentional that they wanted the chopper to be bulletproof. I really doubt it.

The M24 is not a one-shot kill unless it's a headshot. I don't know where you're getting that from. 

You have 12,000 blood. The M24 deals 8,000 blood damage.

The AS50 deals 174,000 blood damage. It can be zeroed for twice as far, it has a faster fire rate, and it makes less noise. They're not even close to equal.

When did I say as50? I have one shot players with a m24 on upper body shots all the time. 

When did I say as50? I have one shot players with a m24 on upper body shots all the time. 

I've shot people with m24's and DMR's that haven't died in one shot plenty of times. They both effectively do 8000-10000 damage, unless it's a head shot. If the player is already injured, which is often the case, then most rifles will kill them in one shot.

I haven't included this before, but I've always thought the amount of sniper rifles in DayZ should be drastically reduced. It takes very little effort to obtain one for how deadly they are, and when literally every server with 20+ players has at least several people sniping cities and the airfield, something needs to be changed. The amount of griefers in this game is absolutely ridiculous because of how easy these weapons are to acquire.

AS50 is the example of a .50 rifle that I've been using the whole time, because it's something that has been in the game and used extensively.

.50 weapons previously in the game didn't have enough repercussions for using them. If they were implemented with realistic qualities, I'd argue they'd be obsolete anyways.

I've shot people with m24's and DMR's that haven't died in one shot plenty of times. They both effectively do 8000-10000 damage, unless it's a head shot. If the player is already injured, which is often the case, then most rifles will kill them in one shot.

I haven't included this before, but I've always thought the amount of sniper rifles in DayZ should be drastically reduced. It takes very little effort to obtain one for how deadly they are, and when literally every server with 20+ players has at least several people sniping cities and the airfield, something needs to be changed. The amount of griefers in this game is absolutely ridiculous because of how easy these weapons are to acquire.

AS50 is the example of a .50 rifle that I've been using the whole time, because it's something that has been in the game and used extensively.

.50 weapons previously in the game didn't have enough repercussions for using them. If they were implemented with realistic qualities, I'd argue they'd be obsolete anyways.

At no point have I ever argued to put the AS50 back into the game. I am offering a bolt action rifle chambered for a caliber above 7.62. So argue against that if you want. But I wont address your balance problems if you use the AS50 as your strawman.

nope, there's no need for any sniper heavier than 7.62.

Actually i dont think 7.62 snipers should be in the game, civillian scoped rifles seem more compatible to the game atmosphere.

only crybabies want their portable canons back.

Just make the vehicles (specially helicopters) less resistant to bullets.

Edited by lipemr

nope, there's no need for any sniper heavier than 7.62.

Actually i dont think 7.62 snipers should be in the game, civillian scoped rifles seem more compatible to the game atmosphere.

only crybabies want their portable canons back.

Just make the vehicles (specially helicopters) less resistant to bullets.

saying 7.62 shouldn't be in the game is saying that the mosin-nagant shouldn't be in the game.  7.62 is .30 cal approx.  It is extremely common for civilian guns to fire .30 cal and similar calibers.  .30-06,  .300 Magnum, .303 Brit, 7.62x54mmR, etc etc.  Saying no 7.62 and only civ calibers is impossible.  

EDIT:  No 7.62 eh?

I guess we can't used any of these 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rifle_cartridges#.30_caliber_.E2.80.93_.40_caliber

and the metric 7mm's too

Edited by Vindicator
  • Like 1

saying 7.62 shouldn't be in the game is saying that the mosin-nagant shouldn't be in the game.  7.62 is .30 cal approx.  It is extremely common for civilian guns to fire .30 cal and similar calibers.  .30-06,  .300 Magnum, .303 Brit, 7.62x54mmR, etc etc.  Saying no 7.62 and only civ calibers is impossible.  

EDIT:  No 7.62 eh?

I guess we can't used any of these 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rifle_cartridges#.30_caliber_.E2.80.93_.40_caliber

and the metric 7mm's too

jesus dude, i'm talking about the MILITARY CATRIDGE 7.62X51MM used in MILITARY RIFLES like m14 (DMR), m24 and so.

the old nagant like catridges add to the atmosphere but should be rare as heck.

I'm saying that .22LR, .380, and russian common military scoped rifles should be in the game instead of all of these american bullshit.

the only weapon heavier than that should be a bolt action single shot .50 like the m99, that should be rare as fuck and the ammunition even more.

Maybe we could introduce a few 9.3x64mm Brenneke? Good anti-personel quality yet limited anti-materiel quality.

Very common in Russia, with Mauser 98 rechambered for them everywhere and the clip can be converted into SVDK magazine. ( the 9.3mm SVD, used for hitting armored target and infantry in cover. Essentially a SVD that lifts weight )

Or we could introduce the PTRD/PTRS range of anti-tank rifle. It ultilize the 14.5mm cartridge, availability is not a question, but not very accurate ( it was designed to hit tanks and bunker, not individual) So a huge damage but accuracy reduction, making it best for common sniper range engagement with the plus side of hitting armored helicopter and so on. PTRD magazine can be converted for PTRS clip, with the PTRD being the semi-automatic but inaccurate against human target one while the PTRS is the very accurate but slow-firing cousin. Both should be in iron sights by default, with options to mount a 1N34 night scope, PK/PU/PSO/POSP telescopic sights. (Satisfy the need for a large 'big fuck off' rifle, yet only for those who are up for the challenge of getting one and make one operational)

And I personally thinks the helicopters should be extremely tough (but not resistant against heavy machine gun caliber), with limited areas where you could take them down (say rear rotors, fuel tanks, main rotors. Or you could even try and shoot through gaps between the seats, which could potentially take the pilot out.

There should be more explosives in the game though, for taking out vehicles. The Soviets even had a tree mounted 'anti-helicopter' mine, which basically detonates upon disturbance by a hovering helicopters.

jesus dude, i'm talking about the MILITARY CATRIDGE 7.62X51MM used in MILITARY RIFLES like m14 (DMR), m24 and so.

I'm saying that .22LR, .380, and russian common military scoped rifles should be in the game instead of all of these american bullshit.

the only weapon heavier than that should be a bolt action single shot .50 like the m99, that should be rare as fuck and the ammunition even more.

You might have meant 7.62x51mm but you said just 7.62.   Specify next time  ;)

M14 and DMR aren't too out of place.  Increased rarity would be nice but removing them entirely seems lazy.  

The Mosin-Nagant isn't rare as heck.  It should probably be the most common long arm in all honesty.  They were made in the millions.  The Nagant and the AKM would be very rare, but more common that most other long arms

Why? It's still the standard cartridge for former Warsaw Pact general-purpose machine guns and sniper rifles, which are not exactly uncommon...

Again the only problem is the hitpoint system. A single 7.62 has no chance of killing in one shot unless you hit the head, and that sucks. In ArmA, most of the rifles will kill in one shot - the difference is just the range they will do it at.

• Like 2

After the removal of the as50. and the m107 both incredibly powerful, accurate, death machines. I have felt that the left over snipers were both unrealistic in diversity and left a need for a heavier caliber. Also the only NV compatible sniper left is the DMR. This basically limits certain players to use the DMR simply so that it works with their NV. Also no guns in the game currently can reliable disable a military vehicle. I have played on servers where a group of players would fly around in a Huey, essentially invincible, gunning down survivors. My suggestion to these problems is the introduction of a bolt action sniper in a heavier caliber than 7.62. A 50.cal bolt action could penetrate armored glass of pilot seats and could take down a main rotor in a couple of shots. But it does not even need to be a 50. cal, other calibers like the .416 barrett or the .338 lapua could do the job.  Also it could be NV compatible so players have a choice other than the DMR. Essential what is needed is a way for players to fight back against armored vehicles even if they don't have an armored vehicle, yet keep it balanced by making it a bolt action and a rare spawn either at chopper crashes or a small chance in the barracks. 

http://www.barrett.net/firearms/model95

http://www.barrett.net/firearms/mrad

two Barrett example of what I am talking about. 

Ignored everything. They removed BOTH THE AS50 AND THE M107?

What's next? the Rocket launchers?

Oh no, Rocket would never remove those. I wonder why...

Reminds me. I hate to say it, but there are a few games that have DayZ beat sniper wise.

WarZ and it's Predator sniper rifle, the TAC .50 sniper etc.

Both of those are overpowered 1 hit kill snipers that use .50.

Maybe those could be added. But, rename them, so WarZ doesn't get any monies off of a sue or some crap they'd pull

Maybe we could introduce a few 9.3x64mm Brenneke? Good anti-personel quality yet limited anti-materiel quality.

Very common in Russia, with Mauser 98 rechambered for them everywhere and the clip can be converted into SVDK magazine. ( the 9.3mm SVD, used for hitting armored target and infantry in cover. Essentially a SVD that lifts weight )

Or we could introduce the PTRD/PTRS range of anti-tank rifle. It ultilize the 14.5mm cartridge, availability is not a question, but not very accurate ( it was designed to hit tanks and bunker, not individual) So a huge damage but accuracy reduction, making it best for common sniper range engagement with the plus side of hitting armored helicopter and so on. PTRD magazine can be converted for PTRS clip, with the PTRD being the semi-automatic but inaccurate against human target one while the PTRS is the very accurate but slow-firing cousin. Both should be in iron sights by default, with options to mount a 1N34 night scope, PK/PU/PSO/POSP telescopic sights. (Satisfy the need for a large 'big fuck off' rifle, yet only for those who are up for the challenge of getting one and make one operational)

I like your thinking.  The PTRD/PTRS would only be used my large teams that had the resources to repair one.  The guns are VERY heavy.  The PTRD is 17 kg I believe.  Large clans could use them successfully for defensive purpose but the average survivor would have no use for one.  

As for the SVDK, I have no knowledge on the subject so I can't comment.  It would be cool to see Mausers rechammbered. 

• Like 1

Reminds me. I hate to say it, but there are a few games that have DayZ beat sniper wise.

WarZ and it's Predator sniper rifle, the TAC .50 sniper etc.

Both of those are overpowered 1 hit kill snipers that use .50.

Maybe those could be added. But, rename them, so WarZ doesn't get any monies off of a sue or some crap they'd pull

No.