Sign in to follow this  
thisisPyro

Game needs a sniper heavier than 7.62

but its anti-materiel potential is limited, according to wikipedia

It can shoot through car doors, windows, and wood, but concrete and metal are effective deflectors.

I agree it is hard to destroy choppers but with a decent weapon (DMR, acog rifles and scoped weapons in general) you can shoot out the gunners and pilot quite easily.

I Think the decision to remove the as50 and m107 was drastic, they were massively overpowered but instead of removing them, perhaps they could have been nerfed to something like 10000 blood damage.

I don't really know if that is possible.

What is this obsession people seems to have of shootting down flying machines with their rifle...

I'm going to say no.

I agree they should add a diversity of long rifles, but adding in a .50 or .338 is too much.

No-one would lug around a heavyasfuck .50 or .338 all day. Not to mention that after firing a .338 or .50 a few times, your shoulder is damn near done.

You can take down a huey with a 7.62. Shoot the pilot (through the glass, or through the open doors from an angle), shoot out the engine, tail rotor, etc, etc.

Nothing anti-material should be readded. But I would be all for a larger diversity of rifles.

EDIT: I also think they should bump the damage that 7.62 does to players, because too many times I have seen someone take a DMR/M24, etc shot to the back or chest and keep running.

Edited by Statik

As long as these new rifles, and more importantly there ammo was sufficiently rare that it wouldn't be worth killing a poorly armed player or taking a pot shot at a little bird on its way past I think they would be a reasonable addition, although they certainly should not be added until duping and hacking is fully under control.

• Like 1

Russia didn't have "Marksmans" before the 90's. They had semi automatic rifles because of hold over in design and lack of an automatic design that was up to their standards. The SVD was a very rare suggestion, but that's already outdated for being inaccurate trash.

Really? Never heard of the Russian snipers in WW2? 

I'm going to say no.

I agree they should add a diversity of long rifles, but adding in a .50 or .338 is too much.

No-one would lug around a heavyasfuck .50 or .338 all day. Not to mention that after firing a .338 or .50 a few times, your shoulder is damn near done.

You can take down a huey with a 7.62. Shoot the pilot (through the glass, or through the open doors from an angle), shoot out the engine, tail rotor, etc, etc.

Nothing anti-material should be readded. But I would be all for a larger diversity of rifles.

EDIT: I also think they should bump the damage that 7.62 does to players, because too many times I have seen someone take a DMR/M24, etc shot to the back or chest and keep running.

Bringing down a Huey takes a combination of a bad Huey pilot, a couple attackers, and top of the line gear. But what about the mil? The Mil 17's pilot can NOT be shot out by any gun,and the hull/rotor/engine are extremely tough. 

What is this obsession people seems to have of shootting down flying machines with their rifle...

you don't find it silly that players can get fully operational military helicopters but asking for a rifle in a caliber above 7.62 is ridiculous?

The military Mils have bulletproof glass on the cockpit. Meaning you can not shoot the pilot out. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0xzSGkDb0U just an example of how strong the armor is on a heli. 

Wrong.  I have sniped a pilot out of the cockpit with an M24.

Well this sounds familiar.

Do keep in mind that private hives can re-enable any and all weapons within ARMA 2.

The official change-log only affect the servers connected to the official DayZ Hive. (And those servers that decide not to change the values.)

Unfortunately this is not true. DayZ forcefully bans many weapons.

Yeah, the SVD Camo is in the game which is rare as fuck, but not the regular SVD as far as I know. It would be great if they made the DMR extremely rare and made a regular SVD with it's old spawn rate because right now you can find DMRs everywhere, and thats pretty bad considering it is one of the best sniper rifles in the mod.

I have the normal SVD on my server & several other non-DayZ weapons -

arma2oa2013-08-1304-12-42-912_zps616192a

If anybody is interested in the server, you can check out the forum post -

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/144974-wolf-pack-dayz-server-crafting-clear-roads-no-fog-hero-bases-towingheli-lift-many-more-features-the-server-youve-been-looking-for/

Or join it directly at -

173.192.200.119:3357

Unfortunately this is not true. DayZ forcefully bans many weapons.

I have the normal SVD on my server & several other non-DayZ weapons

Now you're just confusing me.

Are you misinformed, bad at explaining, or a hypocrite?

• Like 1

Wrong.  I have sniped a pilot out of the cockpit with an M24.

not a military mil. Maybe a Huey. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0xzSGkDb0U like three players trying to kill the pilot out of a non moving military mil and they are all geared. Even with good gear it is hard to take down a heli. 

not a military mil. Maybe a Huey. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0xzSGkDb0U like three players trying to kill the pilot out of a non moving military mil and they are all geared. Even with good gear it is hard to take down a heli. 

Actually it really isn't that hard to take down a heli if you know what you're doing.  Any chance that guy in the Mi17 was hacking?  Because I myself have been hit by bullets while in the cockpit of an Mi17.

Really? Never heard of the Russian snipers in WW2? 

"Sniper" is a generous term.

"Sniper" is a generous term.

309 enemy kills including 36 dead German snipers all to one female Russian sniper. 

Actually it really isn't that hard to take down a heli if you know what you're doing.  Any chance that guy in the Mi17 was hacking?  Because I myself have been hit by bullets while in the cockpit of an Mi17.

Mite have been a civilian MI 17 their glass is weaker. I have put 3 clips of SVD into one pilot seat of a mil taking off and nothing. I also put 4 rounds of m40 in another case into the pilot seat and nothing. I had a mil 17 try to land on my fortress where both me and a friend dumped 4 mags each of DMR into it. It was smoking but if still flew away. 

Bringing down a Huey takes a combination of a bad Huey pilot, a couple attackers, and top of the line gear. But what about the mil? The Mil 17's pilot can NOT be shot out by any gun,and the hull/rotor/engine are extremely tough.

Blast a 240 through the window.

Anti material rifles don't have a place. They're unpractical.

Now you're just confusing me.

Are you misinformed, bad at explaining, or a hypocrite?

Sorry, I should of explained better... 

There are weapons that are allowed in DayZ, but just not in the loot tables. The normal SVD is not banned. So I can put it in my DayZ server.

These are the unbanned weapons for DayZ 1.7.7.1

M9

M9SD

Makarov

MakarovSD

GrenadeLauncher

Rifle

M16_base

M16A2

M16A2GL

m16a4

m16a4_acg

M16A4_GL

M16A4_ACG_GL

M24

M40A3

M240

Mk_48

M249

M4A1

M4A1_Aim

M4A1_Aim_camo

M4SPR

M4A1_RCO_GL

M4A1_AIM_SD_camo

M4A1_HWS_GL_SD_Camo

M4A1_HWS_GL

M4A1_HWS_GL_camo

MP5SD

MP5A5

PK

SVD

SVD_CAMO

Launcher

PipeBomb

SmokeLauncher

FlareLauncher

M240_veh

M240_veh_2

M240_veh_MG_Nest

SEARCHLIGHT

AK_BASE

AKS_BASE

AK_107_BASE

AK_47_M

AK_47_S

AK_74

AK_74_GL

AK_107_kobra

AK_107_GL_kobra

AK_107_pso

AKS_74_kobra

AKS_74_pso

AKS_74_U

RPK_74

bizon

bizon_silenced

Colt1911

DMR

M1014

huntingrifle

PKT_2

BAF_L2A1

BAF_M240_veh

BAF_L7A2

BAF_L94A1

BAF_static_GMG

BAF_GMG

L85A2_base_BAF

BAF_L85A2_RIS_Holo

BAF_L85A2_RIS_SUSAT

M242BC

M240BC_veh

Sa61_EP1

UZI_EP1

revolver_EP1

glock17_EP1

M60A4_EP1

Mk_48_DES_EP1

M249_EP1

M24_des_EP1

SVD_des_EP1

SVD_NSPU_EP1

Sa58P_EP1

Sa58V_EP1

Sa58V_RCO_EP1

Sa58V_CCO_EP1

M4A3_CCO_EP1

M4A3_RCO_GL_EP1

AK_74_GL_kobra

AKS_74

FN_FAL

FN_FAL_ANPVS4

G36C_camo

G36A_camo

G36K_camo

G36C

G36a

G36K

LeeEnfield

M14_EP1

m240_scoped_EP1

SCAR_L_Base

SCAR_L_CQC

Edited by prominentalex

? unpractical as in every major army uses them?

Mite have been a civilian MI 17 their glass is weaker. I have put 3 clips of SVD into one pilot seat of a mil taking off and nothing. I also put 4 rounds of m40 in another case into the pilot seat and nothing. I had a mil 17 try to land on my fortress where both me and a friend dumped 4 mags each of DMR into it. It was smoking but if still flew away. 

Nah, man, it was the regular military one.  Sounds like you just have some bad luck.

Nah, man, it was the regular military one.  Sounds like you just have some bad luck.

Bad luck twice, and captured on video once? That doesn't sound like bad luck that sounds like the glass is bulletproof. Plus I was on ts with the admin when they both happened, it wasnt hacking. 

I think what he was trying to say is that he doesn't want them in the game because they'd be an easy answer to what is supposed to be a tough problem.

Neither is an M24 in Russian Chernarus, or all the other American Vehicles/Guns. And unlimited fuel for fuel tanks. Just for the sake of it, Anti-Material weapons should be re-added. My opinion.

I think what he was trying to say is that he doesn't want them in the game because they'd be an easy answer to what is supposed to be a tough problem.

Well is this a balance question or a realism question? In most fps, balance trumps realism but here realism is seen as important. So from realism yea there should be as 50s and m107s. What I am suggesting is a balance. There should be heavier caliber rifles but that doesn't mean choppers become easy mode to take down. You still need to hit the pilot or the rotor so either an extremely skilled shot or they were landing/taking off. Plus because it would be bolt action you couldn't spam fire. 

But this isn't a military game. This is a survival simulator. No-body is going to lug around a .50 or a .338. Its unpractical in this scenario.

I don't even think helis really have a place in this game, but that's IMO. Even so, they should be powerful. It shouldn't be "Wow, it's a Huey! Let me grab my 30+lbs gun and take it down". It should be "It's a Huey! Shit, run."

• Like 5