Sign in to follow this  
thisisPyro

Game needs a sniper heavier than 7.62

yea again, i want a bolt action .50cal or heavier. The semi autos can be spammed.

M200 is .408 I think.

Not a full fifty, but it does the job.

M200 is .408 I think.

Not a full fifty, but it does the job.

I derped. I didnt mean a .50 cal or heavier, I meant a .50cal or a bullet heavier than 7.62. I would love to see a .408(to be honest I think it would be easier than implementing a .50cal cause you would get less backlash)

I derped. I didnt mean a .50 cal or heavier, I meant a .50cal or a bullet heavier than 7.62. I would love to see a .408(to be honest I think it would be easier than implementing a .50cal cause you would get less backlash)

I'd expect far more backlash because:

-no military force anywhere uses .408

-why do Chernarussians have $14000 American rifles chambered for American WILDCATS

-no plausible explanation whatsoever at all

-see point above

And for those concerned with "balance" it would still do about 25000 damage making any difference a moot point.

We have put a lot of thought into our weapon choices.

American/Western Weapons are almost non existent. Arma lacked a bolt action Russian rifle so we made the Mosin Nagant from scratch. Now if your lucky enough to find a hunting scope for it, it's a pretty powerful sniper. IT also lacked a good russian shotgun, so we made the Bekas from scratch too.

The SVD is also in Aftermath, but it's super rare. I know this will not appeal to all the AS50 wielding Elektro campers, but even they should appreciate the challenge.

Should make life a bit more interesting.

I'd expect far more backlash because:

-no military force anywhere uses .408

-why do Chernarussians have $14000 American rifles chambered for American WILDCATS

-no plausible explanation whatsoever at all

-see point above

And for those concerned with "balance" it would still do about 25000 damage making any difference a moot point.

Jordan, Turkey, and Poland use the .408. Why do they have american hueys?                                                       I find it a little silly that people have a massive problem with american weapons existing in dayz but no problem what so ever with the fact that there is ZOMBIES! Its a game, I can think of a number of reasons why american guns are in Russia, the simplest is that Americans/UN came to assist the Russians in fighting the undead but were unsuccessful leaving a stockpile of weapons. 

We have put a lot of thought into our weapon choices.

American/Western Weapons are almost non existent. Arma lacked a bolt action Russian rifle so we made the Mosin Nagant from scratch. Now if your lucky enough to find a hunting scope for it, it's a pretty powerful sniper. IT also lacked a good russian shotgun, so we made the Bekas from scratch too.

The SVD is also in Aftermath, but it's super rare. I know this will not appeal to all the AS50 wielding Elektro campers, but even they should appreciate the challenge.

Should make life a bit more interesting.

Havnet played aftermath and this comment seems more like an aftermath endorsment than a real discussion/opinion of the topic or another post. 

Jordan, Turkey, and Poland use the .408. Why do they have american hueys?                                                       I find it a little silly that people have a massive problem with american weapons existing in dayz but no problem what so ever with the fact that there is ZOMBIES! Its a game, I can think of a number of reasons why american guns are in Russia, the simplest is that Americans/UN came to assist the Russians in fighting the undead but were unsuccessful leaving a stockpile of weapons. 

Alright, you're correct, someone somewhere does use it. Still doesn't make it plausible. The fact it's an American weapon means nothing since the US doesn't use it...

Why do they have american hueys?   

Because it was one of the only helicopters not fitted with armor plates, miniguns and rockets... if "Hueys" are in the standalone I'll probably choke on my tongue. :|

Alright, you're correct, someone somewhere does use it. Still doesn't make it plausible. The fact it's an American weapon means nothing since the US doesn't use it...

Because it was one of the only helicopters not fitted with armor plates, miniguns and rockets... if "Hueys" are in the standalone I'll probably choke on my tongue. :|

Sure forget the .408 or the .416. But then .50cal semi autos would be there and I dont think that makes for a balanced game. So why not a .338 lapua?                                                                                   But Hueys are in there and the mils as well and they do have armor, a problem when you cant do ANYTHING to one. I am proposing a fix that I think will have minimal damage to the balance and yet still be realistic. 

Edited by thisisPyro

Sure forget the .408 or the .416. But then .50cal semi autos would be there and I dont think that makes for a balanced game. So why not a .338 lapua?  But they are in there and the mils which do have armor and quite alot are a problem. I am proposing a fix that I think will have mimilal damage to the balance and yet still be realistic. 

I would find a .50 more plausible than a .408/.416, they're not popular outside of a very small niche. I have suggested a .338 Lapua before seeing as they are relatively common, it should have hit = 17, the same as in ACE mod (OSK out to ~400m, then knockout).

Also I would like to see at least one hunting rifle along the lines of 7mm Rem Mag, .300 Win Mag, .338 Win Mag, etc.

However if they bumped all the damages we wouldn't even need more powerful rifles... even the SVD is quite effective at well over 1000 meters in Arma simply due to its higher damage, good luck with that in DayZ.

I would find a .50 more plausible than a .408/.416, they're not popular outside of a very small niche. I have suggested a .338 Lapua before seeing as they are relatively common, it should have hit = 17, the same as in ACE mod (OSK out to ~400m, then knockout).

Also I would like to see at least one hunting rifle along the lines of 7mm Rem Mag, .300 Win Mag, .338 Win Mag, etc.

However if they bumped all the damages we wouldn't even need more powerful rifles... even the SVD is quite effective at well over 1000 meters in Arma simply due to its higher damage, good luck with that in DayZ.

Its not really player damage that is a problem. Both the m24 and the Dmr are quite capable at dropping targets at ranges to 800m. But they cant do damage to choppers, in fact no one gun can really damage the military mil. 

Fuck guys...you are asking for a specialized US round in a russian environment...you know how expensive a round for the M200 is? A backwater country like Chernarus ( why buy a 14k$ rifle if you can have a 50$ SVD that does the same job, you don't always need 10km range in a rifle since most of us can't even shoot straight for 100m ) or even the RL ex/soon to be revived soviet union would have their R&R facilites make their own weapon system.

Fuck guys...you are asking for a specialized US round in a russian environment...you know how expensive a round for the M200 is? A backwater country like Chernarus ( why buy a 14k$ rifle if you can have a 50$ SVD that does the same job, you don't always need 10km range in a rifle since most of us can't even shoot straight for 100m ) or even the RL ex/soon to be revived soviet union would have their R&R facilites make their own weapon system.

I said I would just prefer it to AS 50 spam rifle or DMR spam rifle really :/

But ur right, I don't want this to be about just whatever guns they wanna toss in, I'd rather have some civilian and extra sensible military weapons that you would expect to find there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_of_the_Czech_Republic

If we see anything else other from things in that I want some clear backstory from what you see.

Eg. Destroyed US / UN convoy with zombie soldiers, maybe held up by something across road? Maybe a death trap sort of event, for example. try to drive past stopped cars and through zombies, realise there's a blockage ahead and there's barely any room to turn back leaving you dangerously exposed to zombies reaching in and scratching u.

Edited by AP_Norris

1 question, how kill an hely ? flying with pilot + 2 mg's at 300-400 mts high ?

... My suggestion to these problems is the introduction of a bolt action sniper in a heavier caliber than 7.62. A 50.cal bolt action could penetrate armored glass of pilot seats and could take down a main rotor in a couple of shots. But it does not even need to be a 50. cal, other calibers like the .416 barrett or the .338 lapua could do the job. 

http://www.barrett.net/firearms/model95

http://www.barrett.net/firearms/mrad

two Barrett example of what I am talking about. 

I'm playing in a epoch mod server and i've seen (but not tried) a .338 lapua bolt-action 5 shot magazine rifle, slowly to fire and reload, can be a good replacement for as50 and m107

A better question.

Why do you even want to attempt to shoot down a chopper with 2 gunners from 300-400 meters away?

You don't HAVE to shoot them from the air, the easiest way is to wait when they land or try to refuel, when they are at their weakest and most exposed

If you hit the pilot or the main rotor while they are flying they are also pretty much screwed, easily done with even a Lee Enfield - door gunners are pretty exposed too - it's not hard at all, using the high-end sniper rifles just make it ridiculously trivial which it shouldn't really be if the chopper is meant to be the 'end-game' level of vehicle.

• Like 2

As50's are impractical

A n00b sniper

They are ridiculously heavy to lug around

They require no skill

Are worthless to 90% of GOOD players

Spawn rate would be too high

I sense the op is a SOS player, one which is not welcome here, Rossums demonstrates the point very well that you shouldn't be trying to gun down a choipper with 2 mg's in the air, anybody with common sense would leave it.

Most of them will crash while trying to focus on you and most of the time they won't hit anyway. A lot of people don't know deflection shooting. We were forced to eject in the north of Cherno while driving a Landrover ( the Handover thingie ) because my passenger saw a UH-1 ( we were playing wasteland on the 1st person server btw. ) So this gunner couldn't hit the broadside of the barn even with a minigun, it took him quite some time to actually hit our ( standing!!! ) vehicle which burned up a couple of minutes later while we used the woods for cover. They were shot down because they were focused on us and didn't see the small group of friendly players creeping up on them.

Most will not hit you flying fast and high and if they want to hit they have to fly low and slow = easy target.

• Like 2

If people are discussing it's damage. You can fire the makarov 15 times before you'll bring another human down. Weapon damage is not realistic.

If people are discussing it's damage. You can fire the makarov 15 times before you'll bring another human down. Weapon damage is not realistic.

Actually the all weapon damages in all games are unrealistic. If you wanted realistic damage you would need a simulated body with all the organs in place and every time a bullet strikes you all the data ( strike point, velocity, caliber, muzzle energy, current energy, angle etc. )  is sent to your local supercomputer to calculate the damage and then sent back to you. Real life has proven you can die with a .22 shot to the leg after a while, a .50 can rip off your arm and you are in shock but still alive. People have been in a hand grenades lethal zone and survived with thousands of shrapnell in their body...what is realistic? Imo ArmA simulates a wide variety of things quite good compared to other games which specialize in a fraction of what is simulated in ArmA.

• Like 1

Actually, it's only 13.5 times. 12000/889 = 13.49.

Actually, it's only 13.5 times. 12000/889 = 13.49.

Rossums demonstrates the point very well that you shouldn't be trying to gun down a choipper with 2 mg's in the air, anybody with common sense would leave it.

True...

And for that matter, why would someone be trying to shoot it down with a bolt-action rifle?

Wouldn't one of these have a much higher chance of success?

lo9JKEK.jpg?1

True...

And for that matter, why would someone be trying to shoot it down with a bolt-action rifle?

Wouldn't one of these have a much higher chance of success?

lo9JKEK.jpg?1

But it would be pretty stupid to shoot down a helo instead of waiting for a chance to capture the whole thing and take it for yourself. Shows how immature and rash a player is to only think of the "shooting option" and shows their tendency in DayZ. Shoot first...even if you don't need to. If i would play like that i would already have shot a couple of friendly players because i asked where they were when i saw a player who didn't see me yet and they told me wrong and i kept pressing until i was sure who i was watching.

Because if they cannot have it, neither should you :/

That's also why i'm more in favor of civilian helicopters, not flying bullethoses.

tumblr_mcrpnzLPoQ1rk5dywo1_r6_500.jpg

Who remembers this?

• Like 1