rocket

IMPORTANT: Tents will be wiped in update 1.7.1.5

What's the point of spawning vehicles if a small group of players can swoop in' date=' repair them and drive them off of the map, effectively removing them from gameplay. There's only so many vehicles... Hide them within the borders and defend them if you care so much about them..[/quote']

This X3. I hope vehicles get wiped next.

I came to the same thought. if people use vehicles just to get to their tent camps outside the game zone, wouldn't it be reasonable to wipe the vehicles out? I play for a month, and I haven't ever seen any choppers or cars passing by. not a single time

or just build a wall outside the map. like, it's a quarantined infected zone we are playing in

Sorry for sounding noobish' date=' but the extent of my time in Dayz has seen nothing more than a few people in the same city at the same time. This talk of tent cities and working vehicles, what the crack there? Where do you see such things? Is there a synopsis around the net which tells of the purpose of this game?

[/quote']

Synopsis: Survive.

Hint Chernarus is 225km2, there is more to Chernarus than Cherno/Elektro. Travel, all over the beautiful Chernarus, stumble over hidden tent cities in remote areas, loot their stuff, get free NVGs.

Rocket! Please just wipe tents who's owners are currently dead... We have tons of legit equipment stashed in the map borders...

Tents should always be deleted when their owners die, IMO.

To all of the people claiming this hurts people with "legit" tents, I just want to point out that very few people actually know whether or not their tent setups are legit. Tents you found on the ground and especially those on player bodies could easily have come from the results of a duping fest. Perhaps you personally were not at fault in the duping, but that doesn't mean your tent is legitimate. It could very well be a copy of a copy of a copy 10 generations removed from the original tent - the only one that was actually supposed to exist.

And, yes, I realize some of you found tents long ago in grocery stores and you've probably got a 95% or better confidence level that it's a legitimate tent, and you're probably right, so you don't have to pen up a long-winded response lambasting me for making false accusations and painting you with too wide a brush.

This is a time when "it's Alpha" can never be spoken more truly. Advanced mechanics like tents, vehicles, etc. are under constant threat of wipe in my opinion - and should be. These items are the "end game" of DayZ if anything is. They are a turning point between the initial struggle for survival and supplies, and the "late game" hunt for vehicle parts, working vehicles, and advanced weaponry and equipment. With a tent, it's easier to get a vehicle, and with a vehicle - more tents and other vehicles.

Long story short tents are a fulcrum in the game. An absolutely critical mechanic that effects game play behavior in a myriad of ways. If we want the play experience we have to be reflective of the actual game - and more importantly for the data rocket is gathering on our activities in the game to be accurate and informative, then we must accept the wipe and understand that all benefit by playing in a "legitimate" environment free of an over-saturation of what is really supposed to be a very rare item. Expecting them to somehow mine the data and tease out which tents are "real" and which ones dupes, well, that's simply an unreasonable level of effort to maintain data integrity at a time (Alpha) when data integrity is simply not a priority on the plate.

It's easy to get emotionally invested, I realize. You just have to try and remember we're all flying through the air at supersonic speeds in a plane that's held together with chicken wire and bubblegum and missing half a wing. Things are libel to get bumpy, and every once in awhile some of us are going to fall out.

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=15849

Rocket' date=' i'm posting this here, because i'm really hoping youll read it.

This is in my eyes vital to any survival game, and especially to a game that's doing so many things so good already! Things can only get better!

[/quote']

Unrelated to subejct.

Excellent news! Due to the bug of tents never being removed from database when you pack them, many of our camp sites have been ruined due to becoming tent cities.

However, as long as the bug is not fixed, there will soon be tent cities again :(

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=3402 | https://dev-heaven.net/issues/31449

However' date=' as long as the bug is not fixed, there will soon be tent cities again :(

[/quote']

True enough. Though, just because we don't have a cure for the cold doesn't mean we shouldn't blow our nose occasionally. :P

We have visited site after site looking for vehicles but not a single one' date=' i guess because they are all sat off map where we cant reach them.

Definitely needs looking at imho.

[/quote']

Not as common as all that. Been hugely successful in this past week stealing vehicles from camps and relocating them. My merry band of cutthroats have vehicles stashes on three servers all on map, all either repaired by us or raided by us from on map camps.

Most people get it that stashing off map is an exploit.

The only issue i have is that i have like 3 tents on this server that has not been up in 2 days as of today and has not said anything.......... i have a few rare weapons in there, is there anyway i could save them? i know since this is alpha there is bound to be a complete data wipe sooner or later so im not worried about losing them now, but if i could prolong losing my guns then i would lol.

The amount of people not understanding the basics of Alpha testing is astonishing.

It's what happens when you have Alpha/Beta stages with no barrier to entry such as an application and wait list. The majority of people think I paid money to play this (even though they actually didn't, they bought ARMA2) I should have my way!

@rocket Wipe away, please hit vehicles next! Also, would you consider a complete wipe (characters) each time a major feature is introduced to test viability?

Looks like these two guys will be out of a job for a while. lol.

We have visited site after site looking for vehicles but not a single one' date=' i guess because they are all sat off map where we cant reach them.

Definitely needs looking at imho.

[/quote']

Not as common as all that. Been hugely successful in this past week stealing vehicles from camps and relocating them. My merry band of cutthroats have vehicles stashes on three servers all on map, all either repaired by us or raided by us from on map camps.

Most people get it that stashing off map is an exploit.

What do you call off map anyway? If there's grass it's still part of the map, right?

Anyway, I don't mind having to relocate a camp, it's just that I wish you could place them normally between trees or so. It's a pain in the ass to make a camp that's not completely obvious to everyone. I really wish the tent placing would change all together. The best thing would be to press the Pitch Tent button and then get a green square in front of you where you're going to place it... if you press Enter one time it places it right there. If the location is invalid the square turns red...

the way to work out the "off the map problem" is to make these in-game territories quarantine zone. on attempt of passing beyond the walls surrounding Chernarus you get extreminated by drone or blown up on the infinite minefield

Also' date=' would you consider a complete wipe (characters) each time a major feature is introduced to test viability?

[/quote']

This is senseless. There are tens of thousands of people spawning on the beach every second of every day to test the "viability" of early game changes. Many are very experienced players of both DayZ and ARMA 2.

Adding a couple thousand more to the beach by wiping the database seems like unnecessary effort and actually results in a less comprehensive test. Leave players intact and you get a much better spread across the map and a variety of gear and equipment configurations. Make everyone the same and you get a lot of the same data over and over again. Not very helpful.

I can see this being important if character data changes in some significant way - but considering there aren't really that many attributes that make up a character and no sense of "progression" to speak of, I don't see this really happening that often.

Hahaha, this is Alpha guys, u didnt expect a wipe?:D

fa043ad2c0.jpg

Rocket! Please just wipe tents who's owners are currently dead... We have tons of legit equipment stashed in the map borders...

Tents should always be deleted when their owners die' date=' IMO.

[/quote']

That's plain retarded. I play with friends and we share our stuff, equipment and beans.

People that "alpha go qq" is the stereotypical 30 min survivor with NOTHING to loose. you underestimate how many hours have been put into filling those tents with gear. I had 7 legit tents packed with only military loot and that shit took me a good 1.5 week just to find the tents.

I understand it's alpha, but a little more notice would've been nice. I've never duped an item in my life and now (because I have a job and can't run home from work right now) I'm probably going to lose all my equipment due to some exploiter. Again, I get it's alpha, but that doesn't mean i want to lose all my stuff :P

Why u don't remove only empty tents? Is it so hard? Now why you have to punish the player because of bugs?

When will you guys understand that we are players second and testers first?

Chard' pid='154084' dateline='1340199979']

... Hide them within the borders and defend them if you care so much about them..

I do...

the way to work out the "off the map problem" is to make these in-game territories quarantine zone. on attempt of passing beyond the walls surrounding Chernarus you get extreminated by drone or blown up on the infinite minefield

And then you spawn in debug ocean/desert and instantly die instead of having a chance to make it back to the map?

This + PLEASE make it so that no tent or vehicle would save beyond map borders.

That would hurt hoarders a lot and give us all a fresh start (within boundaries of REGULAR map space).

Also alfa is alfa, many guys (hoarders?) ar sooo attached to their gear which ofc would not transfer to full version of mod in any case.