SmashT

July Round-up: "I want the alpha" < "I want the alpha to be good"

Actually, if that's the case, it'll not only reduce server load (Or at least the required bandwidth of the server), but also improve some preformance and reduce lag, on top of inhibiting hackers. Hope I can still snipe across the fields though. A 2km kill is not unrealisic for some people.

2km was just a conservative guess based on the fact that the current mod is limited to something like 1200 or 1600m view distance, can never remember how far it is exactly.

The SA is being held back to increase sales of ANNO 2070.  Fact.

What I am taking away from this statement is that Rocket is in cahoots with Ubisoft, and DayZ will now launch with UPlay. I'll alert the press!

• Like 4

What I am taking away from this statement is that Rocket is in cahoots with Ubisoft, and DayZ will now launch with UPlay. I'll alert the press!

Make sure to put your own personal opinion into quotation marks, it'll be official then.

• Like 1

Make sure to put your own personal opinion into quotation marks, it'll be official then.

I think I'll just preface my press statement with "DayZ insider 'Fraggle' proclaims..."

That makes it official.  ;)

• Like 7

Rocket said:

" I quit the day a PR person comes between me and the community. Not interested, don't care how much of a fuckup I am/become. It's just not worth it, rather go back to the army."

These sort of posts he puts up on Reddit and Twitter just puzzle me . Rocket the majority of your Community is here in the Forums yet you choose to ignore these very Forums and cater to Reddit and Twitter again and again . PR would have helped this project from the begining, limited funds would suggest it wasnt an option.

The current PR Person Rocket promised Weekly updates, not me, not the guy over there, not Fraggle not Cookie Monster, Rocket. But that never happened. The Interviews we see now are at times slightly embarassing, ( I have said this before ) Interviewers asking "so Rocket will we see the SA have Rocket Packs for players to wear and fly about with ? "  Rocket replies " It's something that we have discussed and down the track would look at adding it"  , Interviewer " Will Liberaces Piano be available in the SA ? "............. Answer to all the question would be NO , but he never says it not once, look at every E3 Interview , never " NO we wont be adding a Rollercoaster and FunPark to Chernarus because it's a fucking stupid idea, but thank you for asking " This is why I believe they need a PR Spokesperson , let Rocket focus on what he does best and I hope develop a great game. Dont try and be something your not or you may very well end up in that Army quickly than you thought

• Like 1

Rocket needs to stick to his (2) guns, tell people what he wants them to hear, Let them worry about twisted words and other crud.

Anyone who can't understand the delay is a bandwagon jumper or just impatient, games take time and a hell of a lot of resources which most of us could not muster even if we were Millionaires.

Reddit is a cesspit of Morons (99% from what i have read), why rocket uses it is beyond me when he has a dedicated Forum on His bloody

game.

If from what rocket describes goes to plan, not only will DayZ be a great game but I think it will revolutionise the way games are accessed and run online, and for that I tip my hat Sir.

• Like 3

Rocket said:

" I quit the day a PR person comes between me and the community. Not interested, don't care how much of a fuckup I am/become. It's just not worth it, rather go back to the army."

These sort of posts he puts up on Reddit and Twitter just puzzle me . Rocket the majority of your Community is here in the Forums yet you choose to ignore these very Forums and cater to Reddit and Twitter again and again . PR would have helped this project from the begining, limited funds would suggest it wasnt an option.

The current PR Person Rocket promised Weekly updates, not me, not the guy over there, not Fraggle not Cookie Monster, Rocket. But that never happened. The Interviews we see now are at times slightly embarassing, ( I have said this before ) Interviewers asking "so Rocket will we see the SA have Rocket Packs for players to wear and fly about with ? "  Rocket replies " It's something that we have discussed and down the track would look at adding it"  , Interviewer " Will Liberaces Piano be available in the SA ? "............. Answer to all the question would be NO , but he never says it not once, look at every E3 Interview , never " NO we wont be adding a Rollercoaster and FunPark to Chernarus because it's a fucking stupid idea, but thank you for asking " This is why I believe they need a PR Spokesperson , let Rocket focus on what he does best and I hope develop a great game. Dont try and be something your not or you may very well end up in that Army quickly than you thought

I'd also prefair it if Matt wasn't so...awkward on camera. The only thing I can't deny is the fact Rocket does give me confidence in this project as I surely can't be the only one who thinks he has bit off more than he can chew.

I'd also prefair it if Matt wasn't so...awkward on camera. The only thing I can't deny is the fact Rocket does give me confidence in this project as I surely can't be the only one who thinks he has bit off more than he can chew.

In terms of game development, i consider Rocket to be the only man for the job.

In terms of Managing peoples expectations and PR in general, He's far too casual with what he actually says leading to endless speculation and rumours.

I personally like that he speaks his mind as it gives an insight into the thought processes involved in developing a game, but sadly people take everything so literally that its got to the point that he ends up regretting almost everything he comes out with.

I imagine there's lots of other game devs out there watching DayZ unfold and nodding their heads saying "Yup, that's why we don't openly discuss game development with the public"

All true fans of Day zed should be patient, get better product in the end, complaining constantly will annoy devs then it takes longer.

The development stage hasn't taken too long - no game dev can really take too long; especially when you accept that they're focusing on the foundations before they even consider release of an alpha. 

The only reason it seems to have taken long is because of the hype that generated on the back of the original DayZ mod. If there wasn't exposure to the mod, and everyone wasn't aware that such an exciting game was in the works, then it would have been better for all but that's completely unavoidable when you realise the reason for the standalone was because of the success of the mod.

I've not played the mod in ages because I'm using this dev period to forget about it - so when it comes to the actual release, I'll be like so when I come to discovering Standalone is out, and as badical as I had ever hoped for. Maybe other people should consider doing the same

ah fink evry1 just got2 chill in da meentime kk?

• Like 2

You all need to calm down, Rocket owns us nothing and he has the right to release it whenever he wants. He also is not required to answer your questions or post a weekly update. Give the guy a break he's doing his best and the standalone will arrive eventually.

Edited by Serova

This may sound bad, but its almost like Rocket has gone over to the business side of things, totally ignoring fans and speaking on mainstream sites like twitter and reddit, sites which get a tonne of money in advertising... 

Do you know what languages are going to be available?

Rocket said he wants to have localization done for as many languages as possible. 

"We've made a method to translate it into any language with help of community, so yes :)"

https://twitter.com/rocket2guns/status/340765964805218304

• Like 2

All true fans of Day zed should be patient, get better product in the end, complaining constantly will annoy devs then it takes longer.

We have been patient. The developers aren't some god like entity who slow down the process of game development when complaints about release dates are made, or do they speed it up when we all sit on our hands. It'll be done when it's done but the hype is fading so for the games sake I hope it's done soon.

Edited by Victus Mortuus

The hype won't transfer into long-term success of the game though.  Nor does it mean they can ignore fundamental issues with the current build.  I know it's an obvious example but WarZ's whole business model was to try to take advantage of the hype for DayZ, it didn't end well for them.  Why?  Because the game sucked.

Less hype is a good thing.  Build it and they will come.

Edited by Fraggle

Thats part of the new server structure but thats not what he's talking about regarding the client bubble,

The basic system is that all information sent from the server to the client is currently sent to all clients, even if they are opposite ends of the map, not only is that a waste in terms of data being sent but that info could also be used by hacked clients for esp cheats.

Say for example someone accesses a tent in Skalka, the client sends a request to the server and the server responds, that response from the server will also be received by all other clients on the server which means someone with esp could detect this action from Skalisky..

The client bubble as i understand it basically means that the client will only receive info from within a certain area around them, maybe 1.5-2km radius at a guess, drastically reducing the amount of info that esp hacks can see in one go.

Its not an end to esp by any means but it will certainly help.

THIS/\

The Client Bubble is the single most important feature of the SA and well worth waiting for. Nothing breaks the immersion or steals the "End Game" feel  of DayZ more than ESP/Aimbot using script kiddies teleporting around the map and ruining everybodies game with nuclear weapons. I'd wait another year for this feature if I had to.

THIS/\

The Client Bubble is the single most important feature of the SA and well worth waiting for. Nothing breaks the immersion or steals the "End Game" feel  of DayZ more than ESP/Aimbot using script kiddies teleporting around the map and ruining everybodies game with nuclear weapons. I'd wait another year for this feature if I had to.

It's not going to solve the problem. It will help, but ESP/aimbots don't have to have access to the entire map in order to function.

The hype won't transfer into long-term success of the game though.  Nor does it mean they can ignore fundamental issues with the current build.  I know it's an obvious example but WarZ's whole business model was to try to take advantage of the hype for DayZ, it didn't end well for them.  Why?  Because the game sucked.

Less hype is a good thing.  Build it and they will come.

Less hype is a good thing, but more transparency and notability are not bad things.

Subs-2.png

Take special note of Age of Conan, and Warhammer online. Now compare those to the slow build up of, for example, Eve online, which grows in subscriptions every day. I know this only applies to subscription based models, but think of them as active communities in general. The larger the spike, the harder the crash.

• Like 3

But didnt rocket say that the server side stuff was finished and its allmost ready for release?

Ill go find the video, and that was months ago.......

Something just isnt right.

But didnt rocket say that the server side stuff was finished and its allmost ready for release?

Ill go find the video, and that was months ago.......

Something just isnt right.

Here's a recent quote from rocket

Why has Alpha been delayed (don't just say missed targets, specifics would be nice)

Because core multiplayer functionality is not working to the point large-scale testing is worthwhile. During development we have been continually identifying vulnerabilities and performance issues. Some of these are considered "blockers" and need to be solved for Alpha.

For example, network "bubble". Originally wasn't scoped a requirement for the first build released... but since we realized it must be for both performance and security. This bubble means players only receive updates to things inside that bubble.

Each week we identify, and often solve, blocker issues. Once there are no blockers left, we release the alpha.

There's no mystery or big conspiracy going on, they changed something and it has set things back a bit.

Edited by Fluxley
  • Like 2

Hello there

Why all the conspiracy theories?

It'll be released when its released.

Cast aside your tin hats. Get on with your lives, enjoy the board.

There are other things to do.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 2

icemotoboy wrote on reddit again

Imagine you're cleaning your room or packing up your house to move.

You know how pretty quickly, you get most of it sorted. But you're always left with about 10 or 20% of this crap that just doesn't belong anywhere - and it's really annoying because you either just shove it under the bed, or you take the time and do it properly. They call that the 80/20 rule and we're absolutely in that.

We've sorted out the majority of the big stuff, but now we're left with all the little crap. Some of that stuff is pretty important, time consuming, and difficult to estimate (as one task leads to another... like pulling a loose thread).

• Like 2

Here's a recent quote from rocket

There's no mystery or big conspiracy going on, they changed something and it has set things back a bit.

like allways lol