SmashT

July Round-up: "I want the alpha" < "I want the alpha to be good"

i personally don't care where i get my infos from, we have top-notch mods in here who even deliver us anything ;)

i just think it would be nice/wise whatever you want to call it if he would honor us here from time to time with some constructive debates and talks. there are like 10 posts a day on reddit and...well two weeks ago he was "active" in here and before that...well i guess it was also two weeks.

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 1

He's not the Messiah.

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?!

• Like 1

There's no smoke without fire- we wouldn't have had this situation to begin with if dean wouldn't have gone off and talking about clearly impossible release dates, people don't go hyped without reason.

The devblog never gets updated then poff suddenly rocket comes out of the hiding and talks about release around the corner, and wanting to push out the game ASAP.

Ive followed the shit out of reddit, twitter, and the interviews and he's clearly stating a soon release in all of these, and this "internal week" is clearly bullshit because they obviously have no clue when to release the game since they broke the "stable alpha" they had in june.

And honestly why pissing on users when they are quoting and asking? Rocket himself has even admitted his faults and come with strange excuses like "I wasn't lying, I was just wrong" thus rage is inevitable so crying out "whiny 12yo" doesn't make you look any older or mature or put you in any "cool club" if anythings all I see is a bunch of try-hards.

All we want to do is to move on from the DayZ mod(s) and start playing the DayZ standalone, we wan't to support this game regardless of the bugs, we want to bring our friends into this, maybe record and post some game play on youtube, maybe even report bugs and give good feedback so that rocket and the rest can work on improving the game even more.

agreed totally

All we want to do is to move on from the DayZ mod(s) and start playing the DayZ standalone, we wan't to support this game regardless of the bugs, we want to bring our friends into this, maybe record and post some game play on youtube, maybe even report bugs and give good feedback so that rocket and the rest can work on improving the game even more.

And exactly this is the only reason you all are freaking out. Do you really believe anyone is angry because Dean said something wrong? The people just want to play the game, they don't give a single f*ck about how playable it is. They were whining 3 months ago and they will whine until the SA releases. Why? Because DayZ is one of the best games ever made. Simple and straight.

Stop telling us you are angry because Dean lied to you, he never did. Actually you just try to find a reason to get Dean to release the game sooner. Maybe you believe your own lie, who knows what your mind is capable of while waiting for SA.

My god, am I the only one here who is not brainwashed by all this "Rocket lied to us" bullcrap?

First world problems. :facepalm:

And exactly this is the only reason you all are freaking out. Do you really believe anyone is angry because Dean said something wrong? The people just want to play the game, they don't give a single f*ck about how playable it is. They were whining 3 months ago and they will whine until the SA releases. Why? Because DayZ is one of the best games ever made. Simple and straight.

Stop telling us you are angry because Dean lied to you, he never did. Actually you just try to find a reason to get Dean to release the game sooner. Maybe you believe your own lie, who knows what your mind is capable of while waiting for SA.

My god, am I the only one here who is not brainwashed by all this "Rocket lied to us" bullcrap?

First world problems. :facepalm:

I suppose you're one of those not following him on reddit, well basically people called him out on his comment on E3 "no longer than two months" and he confirmed it, you can even back up a little in this thread and have me asking about it and another user confirming and linking it.

But hey, it never happened right?

Right.

• Like 1

I suppose you're one of those not following him on reddit, well basically people called him out on his comment on E3 "no longer than two months" and he confirmed it, you can even back up a little in this thread and have me asking about it and another user confirming and linking it.

But hey, it never happened right?

Right.

Never thought I would write this on a forum: LMAO!

What never happened? Him saying that they got an internal release date which is not even 100% sure? Him saying that this release date is secret because he knows that problems could occur? Him saying that they are optimistic to release it within the next 2 months?

And what? Are you kidding me? What should he tell you? If he tells you nothing you whine because you want more informations. If he tells you that they got an internal release (which can change every moment) you say he is lying to you because he actually told you this release would be unstable? And when did Dean say that he won't release the game until then?

We should find a new word for these people. Whiners would fit but it is not creative, someone got a better idea?

Edited by Wayze

Never thought I would write this on a forum: LMAO!

What never happened? Him saying that they got an internal release date which is not even 100% sure? Him saying that this release date is secret because he knows that problems could occur? Him saying that they are optimistic to release it within the next 2 months?

And what? Are you kidding me? What should he tell you? If he tells you nothing you whine because you want more informations. If he tells you that they got an internal release (which can change every moment) you say he is lying to you because he actually told you this release would be unstable? And when did Dean say that he won't release the game until then?

We should find a new word for these people. Whiners would fit but it is not creative, someone got a better idea?

Not really sure what you're on about, maybe his old comment about the opened and closed alpha in may/june, I'm however referring to this ->

"It's not going to be next week (jet lag, etc...). But it's not going to be longer than two months. It will be somewhere in between."  -- rocket2guns

"I'm just curious if the '1 week (post E3) to 2 months' statement still stands." -- lOldBoyl

"E3 was two weeks ago. And yes it does." -- rocket2guns

Also stop acting stupid, an internal date is simply a date kept private, there's no need for it to change unless they DON'T have an date but just use it like an excuse to say "Don't worry, we got this fokes!", also a milestone, for lets say a planned fix, is not the same as a release date, however! you might not remember/know this one but one big milestone was to fix the client-server architecture, this was the goal set for them prior to start pushing out the alpha release but then went for additional milestones.

Also not sure what more I can tell you, I suppose you don't feel the same way as I because you weren't watching the streams and lived through when rocket with gold in his eyes went on about how alpha would suck but be available asap, how they're almost done with the goal for alpha, how they then update that they complete the goal for alpha and then goes on about doing somethings else, that whatever they said before is now invalid.

Anyways, ive spent waaay too much on this, ive already explained don't listen to rocket about anything that hints a near release instead just wait for when DayZ SA finally pops up on Early Access.

Edited by SpecOpSpruce

I dont think he can be responsible for how others choose to take his words.

He's not the Messiah.

Damnit, better tear down my Dean Hall shrine before I make that mistake again.

they still have a month to release under that window.  i think rocket learned his lesson from the december speculation.  i think they will release it within that time. if they dont then it will be a great irony.

dean strives to be an honest open developer like he wishes other developers would be like. but then go down in history as the most confusing and misinforming dev of all time lol.  

if i was him i'd release no matter what by mid-august.  i wouldnt want that legacy.

but its his first time leading a project and look how much attention is on it.  you gotta feel for the guy i mean thats a lot of pressure for your first year on the job.  

deep breaths, it will be alright.

There's no smoke without fire- we wouldn't have had this situation to begin with if dean wouldn't have gone off and talking about clearly impossible release dates, people don't go hyped without reason.

The devblog never gets updated then poff suddenly rocket comes out of the hiding and talks about release around the corner, and wanting to push out the game ASAP.

Ive followed the shit out of reddit, twitter, and the interviews and he's clearly stating a soon release in all of these, and this "internal week" is clearly bullshit because they obviously have no clue when to release the game since they broke the "stable alpha" they had in june.

And honestly why pissing on users when they are quoting and asking? Rocket himself has even admitted his faults and come with strange excuses like "I wasn't lying, I was just wrong" thus rage is inevitable so crying out "whiny 12yo" doesn't make you look any older or mature or put you in any "cool club" if anythings all I see is a bunch of try-hards.

Could not have said it any better

Edited by YZ250

dean strives to be an honest open developer like he wishes other developers would be like. but then go down in history as the most confusing and misinforming dev of all time lol. 

I'm not even a native english speaker and yet everything he said so far was clear and not confusing at all. If you can't understand some subtlety, and jump on every mentioned date and take it as an "official release date", even when it's defined as an internal review date, then it's definitely your bad.

People that hear what they want to hear, have unrealistic expectations, and poorly informed journalists and youtube videos, are responsible for the confusion around DayZ SA and it's release.

Dean is doing an ok job, people should just start thinking a bit more and act less like impatient spoiled kids.

EDIT : So yeah, I totally agree with you, it would be ironic Rocket was remembered for being a confusing developer.

Edited by Bat
  • Like 1

I'm not even a native english speaker and yet everything he said so far was clear and not confusing at all. If you can't understand some subtlety, and jump on every mentioned date and take it as an "official release date", even when it's defined as an internal review date, then it's definitely your bad.

People that hear what they want to hear, have unrealistic expectations, and poorly informed journalists and youtube videos, are responsible for the confusion around DayZ SA and it's release.

Dean is doing an ok job, people should just start thinking a bit more and act less like impatient spoiled kids.

EDIT : So yeah, I totally agree with you, it would be ironic Rocket was remembered for being a confusing developer.

^^^^ THIS! enough said :)

Not really sure what you're on about, maybe his old comment about the opened and closed alpha in may/june, I'm however referring to this ->

"It's not going to be next week (jet lag, etc...). But it's not going to be longer than two months. It will be somewhere in between."  -- rocket2guns

"I'm just curious if the '1 week (post E3) to 2 months' statement still stands." -- lOldBoyl

"E3 was two weeks ago. And yes it does." -- rocket2guns

Also stop acting stupid, an internal date is simply a date kept private, there's no need for it to change unless they DON'T have an date but just use it like an excuse to say "Don't worry, we got this fokes!", also a milestone, for lets say a planned fix, is not the same as a release date, however! you might not remember/know this one but one big milestone was to fix the client-server architecture, this was the goal set for them prior to start pushing out the alpha release but then went for additional milestones.

Also not sure what more I can tell you, I suppose you don't feel the same way as I because you weren't watching the streams and lived through when rocket with gold in his eyes went on about how alpha would suck but be available asap, how they're almost done with the goal for alpha, how they then update that they complete the goal for alpha and then goes on about doing somethings else, that whatever they said before is now invalid.

Anyways, ive spent waaay too much on this, ive already explained don't listen to rocket about anything that hints a near release instead just wait for when DayZ SA finally pops up on Early Access.

You are taking his words totally out of the context. Quote the whole conversation and you will see that he meant an unstable release date. I just see someone who tries to make himself believe that Dean was actually lying to him. Sorry, but this is kind of childish right now.

And what the hell, what are you angry about? The 2 month release still stands, they never said they changed it.

He's not the Messiah.

He's a very naughty boy!

• Like 1

You are taking his words totally out of the context. Quote the whole conversation and you will see that he meant an unstable release date. I just see someone who tries to make himself believe that Dean was actually lying to him. Sorry, but this is kind of childish right now.

And what the hell, what are you angry about? The 2 month release still stands, they never said they changed it.

You should really realize the dilemma here now, I mean you really are all over the place with this, to me however it's very simple: either his words are accurate and holds value or they don't, they however can't be both.

The 2-month release does not still stand but you're free to believe so- I mean that's how Ive been the last 5 times the words "release date" has been brought up.

Also "mad"? You need to stop tossing that word around like kids do on 9gag and facebook and look it up because that's not what's going on, if anything you can't read me at all, friend.

Edited by SpecOpSpruce

You should really realize the dilemma here now, I mean you really are all over the place with this, to me however it's very simple: either his words are accurate and holds value or they don't, they however can't be both.

The 2-month release does not still stand but you're free to believe so- I mean that's how Ive been the last 5 times the words "release date" has been brought up.

Also "mad"? You need to stop tossing that word around like kids do on 9gag and facebook and look it up because that's not what's going on, if anything you can't read me at all, friend.

How about you all stfu and forget this self-indulgent "I'm right" BS. It does not matter one single bit in the scheme of things, except act as fuel for your ego.

Now can we please get back on topic and focus on actual information? 

This was posted 2 hours ago

I've been a bit wrong on how to describe this in the past, so I'll make sure I get this one right.

ArmA3 is the product of many years work, by a LARGE team of very dedicated people and programmers.

DayZ has only been around for the better part of a year, with a very small coding team.

Having said that... the approach with ArmA3, ArmA2, TKOH and DayZ is all the same, so your comment:

"ArmA 3 is using a completely new engine, based off of A2's engine. DayZ will be using an already coded engine. And it took years to change A2's engine to get it to A3 status."

Doesn't make any sense.

One of the "cool" things about DayZ, is that the original creators of the engine joined the team. Everyone is hopeful that this will actually cause some cool changes to flow back between all the projects (between ArmA3 and DayZ).

ArmA3 and DayZ have naturally taken different directions. As ArmA3 ramps down, resources can then move onto DayZ and other projects. This will see DayZ probably having the same if not more resources that were on ArmA3 assigned to it.

At the same time, ArmA3 has been pushing from strength to strength - and the lessons learnt there can be applied within DayZ.

I think you're glossing over the fact that Ondrej Spanel is working on the project, and saying this means we can change "some" of the things. It's a huge deal, and it's great news for ALL the RV projects, because Ondrej is a very smart guy... and I there is nobody in the world who has a better knowledge of the engine.

I would say, that the fact ArmA3 exists really helps the DayZ project. And I think the fact DayZ exists really helps future RV titles, and possibly even ArmA3.

I think it is difficult for you to argue for or against your hypothesis because you don't have the information, and you're making very wild assumptions about:

the engine (without seeing the source)

the resources (you don't even know his name...)

the history behind both development

It's no wonder Rocket steers far away from these forums with all the crap he'd have to sort through to get anything useful out of his time..

*Also

"I wanted to know if the engine they're using is capable "

This is probably the root of the issue.

Essentially the concept of "engine" is just that, a concept. Physically speaking if you have access to the source - it's just a program. As a programmer, what can you do with a program? Theoretically, you can do anything, right?

The limitation is time. Both the resource used to generate functionality, and CPU time (frames) to deliver the functionality. I could write a program today that models the movement of every electron in the universe, but it would take forever to write and because it must run based on the system it's modelling - it would be (much) slower than realtime.

It's kind of semantics, because the practical implementation of the above suggests that when facing engine limitations, it's impractical to change them. But suggesting that it is impossible is absolutely false, and suggesting that it is unlikely is incorrect.

As an example, OO inventory was non-existent in the "engine", in any branch. This was made from scratch. Same with the server/client architecture.

So, in summary. Practically speaking your engine rule-of-thumb is correct more often than not, but (particularly when the author of an engine is involved) also regularly you would be proven wrong.

Edited by CapricornOne
  • Like 8

No its not , attitudes like yours is Very annoying. Stop Whining, what are you hear to advise everyone what to say and not say ? Nothing to do with us v them, look a bit deeper at the point some of us were making , but Ahhh why bother , we're supposed to think like you do

You are allowed to think however you wish, but I kind of had enough after seeing ten plus posts earlier today about how every reddit user should be shot and how the entirety of reddit is a cancer on the internet. I really thought we should stay above that kind of behaviour.

If you can't figure out the reason why rocket posts over on reddit, because it's very very easy to figure that one out (even before rocket himself explained why), well then that's your problem. Think about it for a while. Figure it out. It's simple.

the latter quote from rocket "sounds" at least epic.... don't know if he want sto imply something or not...he should be careful with the words he chooses

You are allowed to think however you wish, but I kind of had enough after seeing ten plus posts earlier today about how every reddit user should be shot and how the entirety of reddit is a cancer on the internet. I really thought we should stay above that kind of behaviour.

If you can't figure out the reason why rocket posts over on reddit, because it's very very easy to figure that one out (even before rocket himself explained why), well then that's your problem. Think about it for a while. Figure it out. It's simple.

It is not the problem where Dean posts, but who he is talking to. Why is he listening to the 10% kiddos who are crying for the SA? He could just ignore them and concentrate on the actuall community. It does not matter if it's reddit, the forums or his twitter account.

• Like 1

It is not the problem where Dean posts, but who he is talking to. Why is he listening to the 10% kiddos who are crying for the SA? He could just ignore them and concentrate on the actuall community. It does not matter if it's reddit, the forums or his twitter account.

The vocal minority sometimes seem like the broad majorities.

Be nice towards people. If there is no problem, then there would be no whining. Dean admitted that it was a mistake to put the "2 months" release limit and apologized for it after the reaction bumped up anyway.

Btw those "kiddos" are actually not "kiddies" and they actually do represent most of the community. People did not get mad cus of the game not being released in the first place. Do your research well before attempting to make conclusions and blame people around who you have mostly no idea about.

Thanks

Regards

Edited by SoulHunter

If there is no problem, then there would be no whining.

Hmmm, not too sure about that one.  I agree with the being nice to people part though.

Hmmm, not too sure about that one.  I agree with the being nice to people part though.

It was not said to be in literal. The amount of people who generally make up weird problems for no reason is not really something that needs to be considered as an important issue in any community. They are most likely trolls that come from other communities..

By that said^ I did not mean that Dean might have caused the issues we had around before.. Many things can cause many other things. Everyone on this planet is not from the same country. People of the world have different cultures, different languages, different lifestyles, different ways of analyzing/understanding things etc. Even a small communication mistake could cause big problems, which doesn't mean that the fault is at the community or it's rulers.

PS:What's up there stated is purely MO.

Regards

• Like 1

I like your philosophical way of looking at things.

• Like 1