SmashT

July Round-up: "I want the alpha" < "I want the alpha to be good"

DayZ is a game with so much potential and it has such a great concept ... but it seems Bohemia is just lacking good programmers. There should be (should have been) enough money in the standalone to hire some more and better staff.

Currently there is around 20 people working on Standalone, and bohemia called it a "black ops team", and devs from TOH and ArmA 3 are helping them so they got really experienced programmers helping them Edited by Henryllex~
  • Like 1

DayZ is a game with so much potential and it has such a great concept ... but it seems Bohemia is just lacking good programmers. There should be (should have been) enough money in the standalone to hire some more and better staff.

-sarcasm- Yeah cause Rocket and his team sucks. :o

2mq2tyv.jpg

That's funny, since they are in the mod which is also alpha, and a mod.

Whoa whoa the mod has nothing to do with this. I'm not saying vehicles can't be in the (or any) alpha. I'm saying if they have reasons for removing or adding certain features, that's what the hell an alpha is for. You can't just say that anything in the mod should be in the standalone alpha release. That's ridiculous.

Not impatient for the alpha at all.

I will buy it when it is released to make a saving but I won't play it until full release.

Like others have said I just don't want to tire of it before it is even completed.

I was refering to the fact you said it would be released without vehicles. Nothing has been confirmed. The latest info was that they may port the vehicles in as they are now and then remove/swap them later when they get overhauled to allow for customisation etc.

The last I heard of it Matt said that vehicles are cut from the initial release during his E3 DayZ reveal video. Is there new news on this?

If you're expecting them to handle like they do in GTA then you're setting yourself up for disapointment. That's one of the biggest games in the world with a massive focus on driving :/. The carpets for the new interiors probably won't look as good as The Sims either.

I was just using GTA as an over the top example there...

Whoa whoa the mod has nothing to do with this. I'm not saying vehicles can't be in the (or any) alpha. I'm saying if they have reasons for removing or adding certain features, that's what the hell an alpha is for. You can't just say that anything in the mod should be in the standalone alpha release. That's ridiculous.

No of course not... But it doesn't do the game any favors to have features cut out compared to the mod does it?

Edited by intensity

...................The carpets for the new interiors probably won't look as good as The Sims either.

Proof that Standalone is doomed to failure.

• Like 7

No of course not... But it doesn't do the game any favors to have less features than the mod does it?

It honestly makes zero difference to me. I don't think anyone developing the game is deliberately trying to hold certain features back for the hell of it. If it's not in the game there's probably a good reason for it. The alpha release will have what it has and I'll give my feedback and advice as best I can to help develop it further. My expectations are in line with what I think and alpha release is- a glitchy fraction of a game. If you or anyone else doesn't like that, then lucky for you you don't have to buy it! Or, as Feral mentioned, buy it now and play it when it's fully released.

The last I heard of it Matt said that vehicles are cut from the initial release during his E3 DayZ reveal video. Is there new news on this?

I don't think they have decided tbh, depends which interview you watch. I don't think they want to put them in for the alpha because it just means they are going to have to rip it all back out again in a few months when they redo them so it would just be waste of time, maybe they will put a couple in to satiate demands but who knows.

Edited by SmashT

and devs from TOH and ArmA 3 are helping them so they good really experienced programmers.

lol, they must be such a big help ... just look how great ARMA 2 & 3 turned out :rolleyes:

It's just sad that a great game like DayZ can't reach it's full potentical because of Bohemia and their lack of good programmers.

We dont want the alpha to be good, we want it to be an alpha. THATS WHY ITS AN ALPHA!

We want to be part of the developement. Rocket said he wants input. You aint gonna get that if you dont release. Zzzzzzzz

We want to be part of the developement.

Yeah...im glad people like this aren't part of it. Good work Rocket and co, never seen such a needy petty crowd of "i want i want" yet they take to time to adress them directly.

Edited by Trizzo
  • Like 1

wait a minute why does rocket <3 reddit? arent we the OFFICIAL forums for dayz? why doesn't rocket post here reddit isn't even made for dayz when this forum is!!!!

wait a minute why does rocket <3 reddit? arent we the OFFICIAL forums for dayz? why doesn't rocket post here reddit isn't even made for dayz when this forum is!!!!

I don't think we need to get a complex about it - Rocket does lots of QA sessions and Reddit is his preferred choice.

• Like 1

The whole thing is a shit show at this point. Zero PR skill all the way around. Why is the head developer in charge of social media anyway?

I would say they need to hire a marketing manager but it seems a little late for that at this point.

People still going barking mad about how we don't have anything?

I couldn't have been the only one that LOST excitement because of the E3 interviews and gameplay...was I?

2mq2tyv.jpg

That's funny, since they are in the mod which is also alpha, and a mod.

The mod is a feature cul de sac because it can't deal with hacking.

DayZ SA is a reboot.

But you win the internet today because your picture is awesome and made me giggle!

• Like 8

Is it just me or where other people excited when the initial release date was scrapped?

I was stoked! I was informed about the development and new it was a repackage of the mod set for a december release. Hearing that it was going into full blown standalone development was almost as exciting as a release for a long awaited game :lol:

I enjoy the nerd rage over the delayed release date, your tears and impatient anguish give me the greatest joy.

you know who you are fuckers. :lol:

Edit: holy shit rocket posted, are you high? go back to reddit where you came from :P

Edited by TurkishMonkey
  • Like 3

The whole thing is a shit show at this point. Zero PR skill all the way around. Why is the head developer in charge of social media anyway?

I would say they need to hire a marketing manager but it seems a little late for that at this point.

I hate hearing stuff from PR managers. I have no interest in making this game if I had to deal with a PR manager and some kind of PR strategy. Neither does bohemia.

I'm sure there are plenty of companies that would be glad to cater for you what you seem to want, but I am certainly not one of those people - for better or worse.

• Like 13

Look guys, lets give Dean (Rocket) a break shall we.

Lets face it, none of you really understand game development.

Things can be great 1 minute and a broken mess the next with all kinds of physics bugs, game breaking bugs etc etc...

Play the mod if you really need a DayZ fix and just wait for the Alpha to be released. Just be patient.

I feel pretty sorry for the guy.

Edited by nicefish
  • Like 1

Hi Dean,

How many of you are working on the SA if you don't mind me asking?

Cheers.

Look guys, lets give Dean (Rocket) a break shall we.

Lets face it, none of you really understand game development.

Things can be great 1 minute and a broken mess the next with all kinds of physics bugs, game breaking bugs etc etc...

Play the mod if you really need a DayZ fix and just wait for the Alpha to be released. Just be patient.

I feel pretty sorry for the guy.

nah bullshit bro, i want it NOW NOW NOW

In all seriousness, I've seen the stuff that ARMA guys do with scripting missions and such and it basically makes my brain melt, i cannot begin to imagine the work involved with modifying a complex engine like this into doing things that it was never intended to do.

If anyone says anything negative about this game based on the fact that its not released after only 6 months of full blown dev work, they are basically telling everyone that they have zero clue about how this stuff works.

• Like 3

nah bullshit bro, i want it NOW NOW NOW

In all seriousness, I've seen the stuff that ARMA guys do with scripting missions and such and it basically makes my brain melt, i cannot begin to imagine the work involved with modifying a complex engine like this into doing things that it was never intended to do.

If anyone says anything negative about this game based on the fact that its not released after only 6 months of full blown dev work, they are basically telling everyone that they have zero clue about how this stuff works.

Exactly.

Hi Dean,

How many of you are working on the SA if you don't mind me asking?

Cheers.

Around 25, probably going to double in next few months.

• Like 8

Around 25, probably going to double in next few months.

wow that's exciting,

when you say double, what kind of people will be brought on board? What skillset do you think the team is lacking to warrant the need for that many more people?

Really exciting news mate.

wow that's exciting,

when you say double, what kind of people will be brought on board? What skillset do you think the team is lacking to warrant the need for that many more people?

Really exciting news mate.

Pre-production / experimental pre-alpha is not the time for shitloads of people. You need creativity. The guy who does a bit of programming might also do some art, some design - and sits beside a guy doing some similar stuff... they work together with rapid development iterations.

We've done that bit, now we start full on production.

• Like 4

Pre-production / experimental pre-alpha is not the time for shitloads of people. You need creativity. The guy who does a bit of programming might also do some art, some design - and sits beside a guy doing some similar stuff... they work together with rapid development iterations.

We've done that bit, now we start full on production.

Great, pretty good to see that your getting a bigger team to work with, cheers.
  • Like 1