SmashT

July Round-up: "I want the alpha" < "I want the alpha to be good"

Btw those "kiddos" are actually not "kiddies" and they actually do represent most of the community. People did not get mad cus of the game not being released in the first place.

Yes they did, and no they don't represent most of the community. Maybe they represent you, but that is something we really don't care about.

Btw those "kiddos" are actually not "kiddies" and they actually do represent most of the community

how can you be so sure?

from what i've seen on reddit, which seems to be the biggest sub-community, the by far most upvoted posts are these most eloquently put posts against "that very whining majority" 

Edited by joe_mcentire

how can you be so sure?

from what i've seen on reddit, which seems to be the biggest sub-community, the by far most upvoted posts are these most eloquently put posts against "that very whining majority" 

Because I follow the news as an ordinary member of a community. I am in a position to be able to realize the reason why people got mad, which was the misleading of the infos at gaming meetings (not the "kiddos" or "the media".). It is clear what's said around. People who seemed mad at that moment made posts "elaborating the reason why they got mad" instead of going all around crying rivers in the first place.

In such a place like reddit, such childish actions would not be appreciated anyway. After Dean elaborated the case that he and the development are in and took actions what he believed needs to be done, people then got calmed down after a while. <- That would not happen if those "kiddos" are ordinary known "kiddies" who just cry for everything anyway..

There are still people crying to see a release, which does not mean that all the whining always belonged to them. If there are people who seem upset for some reason making posts elaborating the reasons of them being upset, then they really think there are some issues they'd not like to see happening.

You cannot judge people just because they think different. As a tip, if you would see more whining around than there is supposed to be, there then is a real -and probably growing- issue.

Edited by SoulHunter
  • Like 1

It's just my opinion but I think it's the "entitledness" of some posts that gets peoples back up.

Of course people care about the game and they feel invested in it because they may have sunk a lot of hours into the mod.  There's many genuine concerns raised daily, and there's usually answers to those concerns.  I'm an older gamer (36 now :/) so was bought up in a time when the only info you would have on development of a game would be one article a year in a gaming magazine so I won't lie, it raises my heckles a bit when I see the constant demand for information.

I'm not saying that now days that info shouldn't be there but maybe it explains the split between people that are happy to just chill and wait to see what happens and people that demand constant answers or expect rolling news on the progress of the game.  Maybe not, it's just an observation.

Anyhoo, in the near future it looks like the devs will be shifting into a more structured and traditional development process, so far nothing about the inception of DayZ has been traditional and maybe it's that that upsets or confuses some people.  So far it's been a small team working on some very experimental stuff, hence the inability to give solid time frames.

Hopefully as development moves up a gear people will start to understand why they've had to wait for what is still a relatively short amount of time in game development terms.  Of course there's the vocal minority argument and it's a valid one, in fact in the past it's been the bane of game development as devs try to cater to these peeps whilst overlooking the content majority.  Most gamers just play contently or wait without posting a thing or even reading a forum.

Anyhoo, good times ahead.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 3

Yes they did, and no they don't represent most of the community. Maybe they represent you, but that is something we really don't care about.

Community = 15% vapid fanboys who think no wrong can be done by Rocket, 15% ready to hate Rocket now matter what he does, and then there's the 70% that are somewhere in the gray area between, "couldn't care less if it ever comes out" and "really excited to play when it does."

I think a large part of the community was upset because information was unclear. If you are in the first 15% that I listed, it is impossible for you to empathize with these people in any way. Just saying...

• Like 5

You cannot judge people just because they think different. As a tip, if you would see more whining around than there is supposed to be, there then is a real -and probably growing- issue.

nevertheless it is dangerous to suppose so, it would be like saying: because the majority...it must be right/true/okay

history has shown us over and over again that the majority is not always right

Edited by joe_mcentire

nevertheless it is dangerous to suppose so, it would be like saying: because the majority...it must be right/true/okay

history has shown us over and over again that the majority is not always rigt

I was not pointing out that what the "majority" might have thought was right, but calling people "kiddos" or making conclusions without making a proper research about the people complaining about something was wrong.

What I elaborated afterwards was meant to point out that in any community (gaming, tech, art or w/e) there are always problems caused by natural mistakes/trolls/anything else. No one can expect a community to be problem-free ever. Knowing that there is a group of people ready to cry for everything popping up should not mean that all the problems appear in a community caused/trolled by them. Problems appear/are resolved everywhere as the history has shown us over and over again.

If it is not liked to see people seeming to have problems as they try to point them out, then they should be pointed out, not over-drawn just because "kiddos" also cry somewhere else as they have always been doing since the creation of the reality.

Edited by SoulHunter
  • Like 1

As much as i cant stop fantasizing about it I'm still happy for it to be delayed so i can focus on my visual effects film studies 

ahhaha wow this thread is really packed to the brim with folks that are a bit ..childish and pathetic.. 

GOOD DAY SIRS

I don't know about everyone else, but I'm willing to wait longer for the Alpha to be released. If they rush it and release it now, there will more than likley be multiple posts on why it could have been better. And the people that post these complaints, will be the people that wanted the Alpha rushed.

Well the bottom line is that we are on a forum arguing over a man's video game project and his personal intentions with it's future.

Frankly it is INCREDIBLY silly no matter what "side" you are on.  In fact the only people who aren't nuts are the ones not reading this forum...

Surely we can all agree on that?  I can argue all day about this, and you can counter all day with that, but at the end of the day, its a game.  It doesnt even exist yet, and we just spent a part of our lives arguing about it with people we have never met, who in different circumstances we might find their opinions comparable, or their interests similar.   After all, we all must like the game, its why we are here on this forum, and therefore the "fanboys" and the "haters" have more in common than they seem to think,  despite our differing ideas about poor Dean's intentions.

Sorry, retarded post i know lol,   but I suddenly felt a wave of shame for ever even arguing about something so trivial as this.  it is quite trivial after all.  

Well the bottom line is that we are on a forum arguing over a man's video game project and his personal intentions with it's future.

Frankly it is INCREDIBLY silly no matter what "side" you are on.  In fact the only people who aren't nuts are the ones not reading this forum...

Surely we can all agree on that?  I can argue all day about this, and you can counter all day with that, but at the end of the day, its a game.  It doesnt even exist yet, and we just spent a part of our lives arguing about it with people we have never met, who in different circumstances we might find their opinions comparable, or their interests similar.   After all, we all must like the game, its why we are here on this forum, and therefore the "fanboys" and the "haters" have more in common than they seem to think,  despite our differing ideas about poor Dean's intentions.

Sorry, retarded post i know lol,   but I suddenly felt a wave of shame for ever even arguing about something so trivial as this.  it is quite trivial after all.  

but that's the great thing we are all crazy enough to come in here on a regular basis and talk the hell out of everything :). it would be pointless to have a forum then and i would be very sad again alone in cellar of sadness..

Edited by joe_mcentire

It can not come as a surprise to anyone, that Rocket will make a few mistakes, because he's not shielded by two layers of PR managers, who filters and censors everything he says, to make sure he isn't offending the delicate sensibilities of his potential consumers. 

Whenever Rocket posts or speaks we get unfiltered access to his aspirations and philosophy, which always inspires us, but also get him into constant trouble, because an idle gaming community will interpret every word as if it was a newly discovered Jim Morrison poem. It seems like Rocket has learned the necessity to chose his words with more caution, but it seems like some people are still stuck taking every word uttered by Rocket so very literal, that they relive the December release date trauma over and over again, also known in psychology as Delayed Release Date PTSD.

Edited by Dallas

WHY IS HE TALKING TO REDDIT?!?!!?!

We are the proper fans, we are the ones WHO ACTUALLY TALK ABOUT THE GAME! WE DON'T SIT ON A COMPUTER TALKING ABOUT PEOPLE TURNING 112! WE AREN'T THE CRAZY IDIOTS WHO THINK THAT A REDDIT POST WILL CHANGE THE WORLD, WE ARE THE FANS, WE DESERVE THE INFORMATION! INSTEAD OF HAVING TO GO AND FIND OUT OURSELVES!

ROCKET ISNT EVEN TALKING TO THE MODS FOR ALL I KNOW! HE SAYS HE'S BUSY! WELL HE'S BUSY ENOUGH TO POST ON REDDIT ISNT HE? WHY NOT US?!!!

" Because devblogs get extensive media coverage, and I don't think that is a good idea right now. Also, we won't do devblogs in a middle of a milestone as most time is spent explaining why something isn't finished or is placeholder. Only time to "show" anything is at the end of a milestone. "

AND THERE HE IS! TALKING ON REDDIT! A MAINSTREAM WEBSITE THAT MEDIA USE!

Ahem...

I don't hate him, I just want him to talk to us fans...instead of REDDIT...I'm still very exited for the SA though...

I'm still gonna wait, even if its centuries for the SA, I'm still gonna wait...

Here's a solution for you: 

Step 1: Bookmark Dean's Reddit profile.

Step 2: Check it constantly

Step 3: ???

Step 4: Profit!!!

• Like 1

Here's a solution for you: 

Step 1: Bookmark Dean's Reddit profile.

Step 2: Check it constantly

Step 3: ???

Step 4: Profit!!!

DAMN IT FEIGLIEN!...

When did you become so smart?...

Thankyou, this thread has cleared up a lot for me. Before this I was running off tweets and devblogs assuming the Alpha was being released in June, however now I see the era of my ways and why its still being held off.

Can't wait to see this Milestone build at Gamescom!

rocket should really hire Rossymond he has developed a fully customizable series of weapons in a week

Edited by beatSTV
  • Like 1

See, I think it's because people think the devs keep missing release dates that their impatience grows out of control. When you ask people which dates they mean they usually quote somebody that was just speculating about a date based on a mis-quote.

6 months is a VERY short time in terms of game development.

its already shorter than COD and its basically a yearly copy and paste,it will be in alpha by October from the progress that we can deduce from the devblogs in contrast to the present

so don't get your jimmies rustled!

rocket should really hire Rossymond he has developed a fully customizable series of weapons in a week

they already have the attachment system working? plus it's a total rewrite of how the engine handle items ingame, not just some hacked in feature. Now please explain me again why they should hire this guy?

they already have the attachment system working? plus it's a total rewrite of how the engine handle items ingame, not just some hacked in feature. Now please explain me again why they should hire this guy?

lol hacked in what are you talking about. He has re-written the code to allow creating your own weapons, add attachments and remove them.I'll give you an example you can now build an M21 add the attachments you want and then dismantle them again to the upper and lower receiver barrel etc. Pretty damn impressive.

I think the key thing with what they've done engine side in the SA is that each weapon is now an individual entity, meaning it can carry it's own stats.  So the attachment system is very cool but more importantly it allows for weapon degredation, customsation and each individual weapon to have it's own traits, for example it could pass on a disease/infection to another player that picks it up if the previous user had that infection.

That can't be achieved in the mod because it's an actual change to the way the engine handles information, as I understand it anyway.

I'm not dissing that other guy's work btw, I'm in awe of anyone with any modding skills especially if it's true that he's written a weapon modification system within a week not using someone elses work.  I just wanted to clarify the difference between modding something and changing the fundamental way an engine works.

People have been making mods that allow for weapon modification in Arma 2 for years, here's one example from 2011:

ASC_WP_zps4eccdb79.jpg

And here's their website:http://warmod.webs.com/ascweaponpack.htm

There's many other examples too so really if someone wanted to implement that into their own mod they just need to pop over to Armaholic.

So that in itself is nothing new or ground breaking.  It's changes to the engine itself that will have a massive impact in the game and how we play it, none of the mods will be able to do that by their nature of only ever being able to modify and tweak other peoples work.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 4

ACS is damn good have to admit but the new system rossy has made allows you to actually find the 3D models on the floor and attach them to the weapons and more importantly remove them allowing you to pass on a sniper scope to a friend for example. Saying that changing the engine to allow for weapons to be there own entity is very impressive

• Like 1

Yeh, as I say I didn't want to dis-respect someone elses work, I just wanted to highlight the fundamental difference between how it would work in the mod compared to the SA.  In this case I'm sure it's all his own work but often I see comments saying "Wow, look what this guy's managed to do with his mod!" when really he's just popped over to Armaholic and grabbed someone elses code.  

The point I'm trying to make is that people have been modding Arma for over a decade so if there's something you need or want to incorporate into your mod you can usually go and find then use it yourself as long as you credit the original author.

It's when that pre-existing work is used and passed off as original code that peoples jimmies get rustled.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 2

Thanks Steve, but what I have made is nothing on the new version. Obviously BIS has a team of very skilled guys, i'm just one man with a hobby. My system is just a simple crafting type system. The script is very simple and the items defined by an array. The 3D models are reconstructed variations of open source models and textures, I did make a few myself though :) We have about 15-20 3D models. I have lost count now. Making the player able to brag a barrela/stock/receiver and combine them together to form an AKS for instance. Then find loose ammo and combine it with an empty magazine also. It's just all part of my version of DayZ, and it fits very well with the storyline :)

The thing with Arma 2 is no matter what you do, someone has already done it in some form. Weapon packs for instance, people like Robert Hammer and Vilas have nailed it, so why reinvent the wheel? Passing anything from sites such as armaholic off as your own, is just wrong though!

• Like 6

Hi mate, lovin your work.

As I say I've got endless respect for peeps that can mod games, especially using the RV engine so keep up the good work.  It's peeps like you that have kept Arma and now DayZ alive for longer than anyone could have expected.

• Like 4