The Jackall

ARMA 3 DAYZ VS STANDALONE

So this is just my opinion on what makes DAYZ so great and why the standalone will leave us feeling empty, and why more time should be spend getting DAYZ over on the Arma 3 engine.

1. Real guns. This I think this is one of the top attraction of the game for me. I love calling a Glock G17 a Glock G17 and not a watered down pistol to save some polygons. I love looking at the textures of my gun and feel like a am running around with a real gun in my hand. With the standalone they are trying to make guns look simple so they are better for online play and don’t kill the servers with data. This to me will take a big hit out from the standard DAYZ we know and love. In Arma 3 the guns are just amazing, and I personally haven’t played a game with such realistic guns in it. The sound the guns produce are simply breath taking.

2. Survival. I love taking one or two friends and we just survive with our hatchet, matches, skinning knife, water bottle with empty can to cook the water. I think some people enjoy the rush of the kill (pvp) and others love surviving with the bare minimum. They should have added some predatory animals like lions which you have to stalk in order to kill. Maybe even have tracking skills, so you can follow tracks of people and animals. Anyway imagine having to hunt certain animals to make gun straps, amo packs and backpacks?

3. Realism. Another major hit with the Arma engine is that everything is realistic. I don’t give a shit about the shoes that I wear and that this will impact my health if I decided to run bare feet. In Africa there are tribes called “Boesmans” that live of the Kalahari Desert and they only run bare feet. Your feet adapts and goes hard eventually after running with no shoes. Stop putting in shit that will spoil the game. Maybe add army boots that will make less noise and running shoes that boost your running speed. This way when you in attack mode (PVP) you wear your amry boots, and when you running across vast lands you wear your running shoes. In fact just drop the shoe thing its silly.

4. Loot. First of all what is so cool about running around with a Motorbike helmet? Rather give me an hat, balaclava, or army helmet so I can be slightly protected from headshots, cold and the sun. And maybe add some spray or marking system so you can recognise your friends or clan members. No I don’t want a radio in the game and I think it’s a silly idea. Who will even listen to the piece of shit as it will only give away your position.

5. Roles. The major hit of the game is that everyone starts of the same. You’re a nothing until you can find some gear. Other games forces you to select a role whereas Dayz putts you as close to being human as possible. Reward players with gear if they do select a role which they prefer playing. Some people might prefer being bandits and should get clothing unlocks for this. Some might prefer being a Dr and they should get their own clothing unlocked for this. Others might prefer the survival aspect of the game and should maybe get Ranger outfits. Imagine we get marines, Dr’s, special forces, rangers, looters and spy’s.

Anyway my rant is this. I think once the standalone gets released, it will die a slow death and people who are working on Arma 3 Dayz (Zoombies) will benefit more from people coming back, lacking the taste Arma 2 Dayz left in their mouths for years to come.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 4

I agree with point 1 and 2. The rest I think is wrong. I think dayz arma 3 will be successful as well however I do not believe the zoombies mod will be as polished

Edited by Felixthefriendlycat

I really hope none plays DayZ in Arma 3. If you want DayZ, play it in Arma 2 or play standalone when it comes out.

• Like 1

I really hope none plays DayZ in Arma 3. If you want DayZ, play it in Arma 2 or play standalone when it comes out.

People should play the best version of dayz. That is the only way for dayz to move in the right direction. If the dev team makes a huge mistake with standalone then people will play something else. That is the feedback that makes developers change their game.

• Like 2

I think you may have misunderstood the point of the game. I kind of agree with the first two points but I don't think there are lions in where it's set, maybe bears and wolves would be more fitting.

About number 3 and the shoes. Yes your feet will adapt but it will take a long long time IRL and usually in game you will not survive that long, in that time it will be painful to run barefoot everywhere over all terrain. Go outside and do it now. You will not come home with hardened feet, you will come home with sores and cuts.

About number 4. Why not wear a motorbike helmet? It will probably offer some protection against zombies if they hit your head. And a lot of the loot will not be ingame for you to use. You will be able to use it but there is little point for a lot of it. It is more of an immersion thing so you run into a house and it feels like someone actually lived there.

Number 5, what you have proposed would kill the game. There should be no unlocks, unlocks make no sense.

Edited by JoeM
  • Like 3

Oops ignore

NOW I'M INTRIGUED

The images of the guns shown at rezzed are not how the guns will look when finished, they were just work in progress shots without the full textures maps, the AK that rocket was using in game look pretty good to me, though its hard to get a good idea without actually playing it.

Also the sounds are just placeholders, they have confirmed that all the sounds will be redone at some point but for now are just using the arma 2 sounds so they can concentrate on more important things.

Arma 3 dayz will always be limited in what it can achieve due to it being a mod.

With the new standalone engine they will be able to,

Spawn zombies and loot at the server start. eliminating the issues of loot cycling and using zombies as a player radar.

Every item will have its own values allowing them to add damage and diseases to individual items,

Dramatically increase the amount of zombies and players on the server.

Totally redo the vehicle system.

Create a complex medical system

And lets not forget the new server architecture will make hacking much much more difficult.

Edited by Fluxley
  • Like 7

NOW I'M INTRIGUED

Haha, I accidentally clicked 'Quote' on my post instead of edit. So I ended up just quoting the whole thing again.

I'm gonna be a bit lazy here and quote myself from another post a made on a similar topic a couple of weeks ago because I feel it applies equally to your post and the points you've made:

The mod and all of the variations of it have one thing holding them back, they are mods. With that comes many problems, even if ported into Arma 3 for improved visuals these problems will remain or even get worse as Arma 3 is still in heavy development itself and it will introduce many more issues that the modders aren't familiar with, that's why DayZ is using it's own variation of the RV engine.

Seemingly "small" things being added to the SA will change the overall gameplay immensely. Some mods have basic crafting but it will always be fighting against the engine because as a mod, the developers can't change that, they can just tweak code. The SA devs can actually re-code the engine itself to suit the needs of a game like DayZ, they have people on the team that helped make the engine itself so understand it better than any modder could ever hope to.

For the SA the devs will eventually be adding THOUSANDS of new items ranging from survival equipment, crafted melee weapons, weapon modifications such as butt-stocks and fore-grips, vehicle parts to hundreds of new items of clothing all of which will have their own advantage/disadvantages and not just be there to look nice.. The new server architecture means that the scripting/hacking you see in the mod will literally no longer be possible although of course hacking will always be present as with any other mutiplayer game. It also adds the possibility of GLOBAL loot tables.

The new disease mechanic that's been discussed by Rocket has never been attempted in ANY other game. Ever. It will be complex and a gaming first, it will dramatically change the way we play. The weather will become more important too.

There's so many "small" things being changed that when added together form to make a very different game in terms of how we will approach survival within the game. I haven't even mentioned the plans he has for base-building, vehicle customisation, in-game streaming of live official radio stations or new maps yet but they're ambitious and a million miles beyond anything you've seen in the mod or any of the variations of it.

For me it's pretty simple, the mod and all of it's spin-offs are going to be left far behind the SA. It will take time though, initially the public alpha will be released and some my not see the fundamental differences because content WILL be limited. As content gets added over time it will become apparent that the mods just won't be able to compete or keep up, they won't even be close, they'll be forever trapped in their constant cycles of patching and bugfixing where adding the simplest thing or making the smallest changes can break the whole mod whilst the SA strides forward offering us new and varied ways to play DayZ

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 12

How are points 2, 3 and 4 at all a comparison between Arma 3 and the DayZ Standalone? The only point comparing the Arma 3 DayZ Mod and the Standalone, is point 1. The rest is basically your suggestions.

Edited by Inception.
  • Like 3

Rocket and his team simply don't have as much brainpower as the entire modding community. So yeah it will never beat the mod.

Regrding motorbike helmets please, please....PLEASE try and understand that what you have been shown is a development build. Yes they will exist in game as will many other types of clothing. Many of your points seem to be a result of looking at a PRE-ALPHA DEVELOPMENT BUILD and thinking that's the final product.

Use your imagination about what will be added over the next few months and the potential that will have for gameplay.

• Like 3

This is why most games developers dont like giving out too much info about a game before its released.

So this is just my opinion on what makes DAYZ so great and why the standalone will leave us feeling empty, and why more time should be spend getting DAYZ over on the Arma 3 engine.

1. Real guns. This I think this is one of the top attraction of the game for me. I love calling a Glock G17 a Glock G17 and not a watered down pistol to save some polygons. I love looking at the textures of my gun and feel like a am running around with a real gun in my hand. With the standalone they are trying to make guns look simple so they are better for online play and don’t kill the servers with data. This to me will take a big hit out from the standard DAYZ we know and love. In Arma 3 the guns are just amazing, and I personally haven’t played a game with such realistic guns in it. The sound the guns produce are simply breath taking.

2. Survival. I love taking one or two friends and we just survive with our hatchet, matches, skinning knife, water bottle with empty can to cook the water. I think some people enjoy the rush of the kill (pvp) and others love surviving with the bare minimum. They should have added some predatory animals like lions which you have to stalk in order to kill. Maybe even have tracking skills, so you can follow tracks of people and animals. Anyway imagine having to hunt certain animals to make gun straps, amo packs and backpacks?

3. Realism. Another major hit with the Arma engine is that everything is realistic. I don’t give a shit about the shoes that I wear and that this will impact my health if I decided to run bare feet. In Africa there are tribes called “Boesmans” that live of the Kalahari Desert and they only run bare feet. Your feet adapts and goes hard eventually after running with no shoes. Stop putting in shit that will spoil the game. Maybe add army boots that will make less noise and running shoes that boost your running speed. This way when you in attack mode (PVP) you wear your amry boots, and when you running across vast lands you wear your running shoes. In fact just drop the shoe thing its silly.

4. Loot. First of all what is so cool about running around with a Motorbike helmet? Rather give me an hat, balaclava, or army helmet so I can be slightly protected from headshots, cold and the sun. And maybe add some spray or marking system so you can recognise your friends or clan members. No I don’t want a radio in the game and I think it’s a silly idea. Who will even listen to the piece of shit as it will only give away your position.

5. Roles. The major hit of the game is that everyone starts of the same. You’re a nothing until you can find some gear. Other games forces you to select a role whereas Dayz putts you as close to being human as possible. Reward players with gear if they do select a role which they prefer playing. Some people might prefer being bandits and should get clothing unlocks for this. Some might prefer being a Dr and they should get their own clothing unlocked for this. Others might prefer the survival aspect of the game and should maybe get Ranger outfits. Imagine we get marines, Dr’s, special forces, rangers, looters and spy’s.

Anyway my rant is this. I think once the standalone gets released, it will die a slow death and people who are working on Arma 3 Dayz (Zoombies) will benefit more from people coming back, lacking the taste Arma 2 Dayz left in their mouths for years to come.

1. I don't think that the look of a gun is more important than decent FPS

2. DayZ mod is nothing compared to SA in terms of surviving, now it actually has a proper health system, the items are rare and spawned by a global server. And lions? Are you kidding me? How do you explain a lion in chernorgsk? It escaped a zoo?

3. But we are not in a Kalahari desert. There are broken glasses on the streets, rocks, things that will hurt you. Besides that the people in the Kalahari desert are walking bare foot their entire life. Go out and try it out. Running 2 hours without shoes on the streets. It will take you months or years to actually get decent feet. Your feet were wearing shoes their wholes lifes.

4. I don't think you will find these motorbike helmets everywhere, but DayZ is supposed to be authentic, and do you really think you would find army helmets everywhere? Probably there will be army helmets, but finding a motorbike helmet is much more likely. And nobody is forced to use the radios, if nobody uses them they will probably removed from the game.

5. Choose a class in DayZ and unlock clothes? Dude, this game is about finding your clothes, it is about being who you want without restrictions. There are simply no classes needed, because you can create your own by doing what you want and wearing what you want.

Edited by Wayze
  • Like 4

I think OP trys to make advertise for friends mod. <_<

I think that the dayz team understand when arma 3 is released somebody will make dayz for this.

This is why so many guys post WHERE IS FUCKING STANDALONE??? I see maybe 100 threads the same

maybe because dayz team want to make standalone better than dayz for arma 3 so they taking a long time?

I personally believe ArmA 3 DayZ will be much better than the standalone, because the zombies will be base coded as future Iranian soldiers and also such as hover tanks with rail guns.

• Like 7

Got to agree that it was a surprise to me that they'll lower the polygons but I don't mind that much because I'm not a gun freak myself. Let's just hope that the sounds will be good because vanilla sounds aren't IMO that good in Arma 2. Arma 3 is another thing in the sounds but the system is still W.I.P. and you can hear it if you've played for a while.

Sounds cool but I'm not sure about the performance of tracking. Btw you can already see where your friend has crawled for maybe a minute and in vanilla Arma 2 bleeding person leaves blood trails for a while but none of those last long.

But you're a western guy in Chernarus that is used to wear shoes when running outside and that's what Rocket is simulating. I've understood that those healthy issues are only long term things. He said that even cholera doesn't impact that much instantly but if you're having a long term character then there might come some trouble.

Motorbike helmet is only one item of many. In Rezzed he wore ushanka hat that is a warm winter hat. Rocket has said that they want to add some kind of marking system to recognize friends. Radios are cool but nothing forces you to use them if you're camping on a sniper hill. Most of the time I don't care if people know where I'm because I want to meet people but if I feel that I'm in the danger zone then I'll keep radio silence. And not everyone likes to use 3rd party chat because it kills the immersion.

I don't like DayZ to have pre-defined classes or roles. I'd like that the inventory system is enough harsh that you can't carry all the medical, mechanic, army etc. stuff but you can of course mix those in some level. In mod you can have really unrealistic amount of stuff with you.

Edited by St. Jimmy
  • Like 3

Need to make a new message because the last paragraph didn't fit Oh it was blacked somehow. Well now it's there :D

DayZ will be hardcore zombie apocalypse survival that attracts people who really wants a challenge and DayZ mod(s) are really the easy modes and easy modes always attract the masses so you can be right. Only thing is that the dedicated people including Rocket himself couldn't care less about it.

Edited by St. Jimmy

ArmA II is a terribly unstable game with terrible performance and bad overall optimization. (It's still a good game don't get me wrong)

I've played the All in Arma mod for Arma 3 and its much more fluent and looks nicer than A2, and it feels alot less clunky

Edited by Frell

Army boots that make less noise.... >>>> You think the sound of 40 soldiers standing to attention is as loud as a rifle shot for some other supernatural reason.

Footwear that aids stealth would be as soft as possible and as flexible as possible like Jikatabi or even soft trainers.

Why would you compare an un-finished game to a buggy port?

Edited by DayzForumer

Meh, I won't be playing Arma 3, I won't be playing Zoombies, I only have eyes for the SA which will sorry to say develop further than the material you are basing your opinion on.