Crewxxblah

I'm new and need tips

Hey everybody I'm new and I would appreciate some tips for day z like who to trust and where some weapons are and other things you may thing I would need to know thank you :)

DONT trust any one in Dayz, and look for weapons at fire stations, deer stands, barracks, military tents, militay hangers, control towers, and if your lucky, residential buildings

Hi and welcome!

You should trust no one. But that doesn't mean you can't be friendly to others, or others won't be friendly to you.

There are online maps where you can see what kind of loot is likely to be found at certain places. But it's more fun to figure it out for yourself.

edit: removed maplink

Edited by Elias

Don't go to the top (3rd) floor of fire stations; there's no loot and no cover from snipers.

Be FAST when running in and out of Cherno and Elektro. Don't worry about zombies chasing you, if you dart in and out of buildings (in the front door, out the back) the zombies will slow down inside. When you get out, crouch and stop running; you'll make less noise and the zombies will lose interest (so you don't have to deal with zombies).

Fire axes don't automatically equip as weapons, so don't think that because you see on the ground you can pick it up and hack everything chasing you. It's actually a giant pain in the ass to pick up and equip.

Don't use ladders as a zombie escape; you move so slow on them, your legs will be broken by the zombies chasing you by the time you're out of reach. Even if you make it to the roof without dying, the zombies will NOT leave, even if other players start making noise; they will outwait you.

Throw flares and smoke grenades at every building you aren't going to loot that's at least 30 feet from you. The zombies will go investigate those buildings instead of you, and bandits (the assholes with guns that kill new players) will be searching those buildings as well.

Do not say "Hi" to anyone unless:

1. It's an emergency
  2. You have a gun
  3. You're behind them

Tell them to drop their gun or you'll break their freaking legs. If they aren't holding a gun, tell them to stand still while your search their backpack for one. If they don't comply, kill them and run! Zombies will chase you.

Never trust your life to a pistol in DayZ. Ever. They are weak as can be vs players and zombies. ONLY use them in emergencies. If you've got at least 3 magazines for your non-sniper rifle primary weapon (AK mags, M16 mags, et cetera) don't even bother storing more than 2 pistol magazines; bandages will do more to save your life.

Even if you don't have the means of making a fire (matchbox/fireaxe) shoot and gut every animal you see when out of town (requires knife). Players will trade you for raw meat, and I've known lots of players to leave burning fireplaces behind and/or make them for other players. It's quite nice of them :) (also burning fires attract zombies/players so be careful).

Establish a loot route in at least 3 cities. Mine are Chernogorsk, Elektrozavodsk, and a city southwest of Stary Sobor I don't know the name of. All 3 cities have fire stations and supermarkets, where you find guns and food (respectively). They're the greatest places for supplies but NEVER go into one thinking it's safe.

90% of players will tell you the Lee Enfield is a really bad gun. It's fucking amazing. 1-hit kills vs anything.

• Like 6

Here's DIRTY CHEAT DELETED where you can see what kind of loot is likely to be found at certain places.

C'mon that's cheatin' mate. Make it interesting for the lass, let 'em figure it out on his own.

Edited by Applejaxc
  • Like 2

1. Whom to trust: There is no easy answer on that question. Basically nobody, but in general you cant trust Bandits and Heroes are rather trustable. You can differenciate the two groups by their appearence. You will often get shot just because you revealed yourself. Never the less I encourage anybody to not start that "Kill on Sight" thing, but try to interact with players. It adds a whole new dimension to the game.

2. There are lootmaps, which show you the position of different kinds of stuff, but I dont know if you want to use them, because its kind of like spoiling. For basic weapons I would try the bigger barns that can be found anywhere :)

3. Cook your meat and boil your water before you consume it, otherwise you get infected faster than you could ever think of. If you find antibiotics always keep them. You will need them.

4. Dont run arround in the bigger cities for too long. It gets you killed.

C'mon that's cheatin' mate. Make it interesting for the lass, let 'em figure it out on his own.

I agree, remove the link from your quote please.

Crawling is your best friend when around Zeds, take time and patience in Built up areas abd you will be fine.

Trust no-one, less even those who shout friendly with a weapon in their hands.

Scour the hills, snipers will take obvious positions

Medical supplies and food are a must, never discard them for too much weaponary.

Keep on the move.

Don't take risks, more often than not, they cause your death.

I agree, remove the link from your quote please.

No problem! :)

Enjoy yourself. Do not take your days as a noob for granted; they are a DayZ player's best days. I miss them.

• Like 6

Enjoy yourself. Do not take your days as a noob for granted; they are a DayZ player's best days. I miss them.

Turn the music back on. Instant nostalgia.

• Like 4

From my (Sadly short) experience with DayZ, I've come across a great tip that's saved me from more thing then I can imagine.

So let's say you have a hatchet, and you find a winchester with 2 16 RND slug clips. That's great and all, but guns are VERRRRYYY loud. So what do you do? Simple, put the gun in your backpack. People are more bound to shoot players with a winchester on their back instead of a hatchet. And zombies love loud noises. Now, if you are up north, just put the gun in your primary slot. But if you are down in the coast, in, let's say Cherno, put the gun in your pack. I know what you guys are thinking. "But melee weapons are weak as shit," Yes they are, due to the fact that they sometimes don't want to cooperate, but if you aggro a zombie, then start crouch-walking backwards while swinging at him, 70% of the time you'll come out unscaved, perfectly fine. I've once had a conga-line of zombies chasing me, so I went to a field, started crouch-walking backwards, and SWINGING AWAY LIKE THERE'S NO TOMORROW. I had 12K blood when this started, and when it ended, came out with 11.8K blood. S key does wonders. :lol:

Edited by RyanTH
  • Like 1

Don't trust anyone, who says: "Don't trust anyone."

• Like 1

Always crouch walk

Always double hit shift when you first spawn in (so default movement is walk and hold shift to run.)

Always walk on roads never run.

Always lookout for zeds.

Do not fire weapons in town's unless you like to die.

Stay away from zeds.

Only attack on your terms.

Look for loot every place you can. (where would you place something if you had to hide it quick)

Don't panic and start running. control the situation and attack back on your terms. < Panic only causes you more pain.

• Like 1

Find a hatchet, if possible. Open inventory, right click on it, select 'remove from toolbelt'. Master it.

"He who masters the way of the hatchet, masters the universe." -Ghandi

• Like 8

How can you miss them when you're still living those days Inception ;)

• Like 1

Find a hatchet, if possible. Open inventory, right click on it, select 'remove from toolbelt'. Master it.

...And the Lord said: "Let there be the Hatchet!" And all of Mankind rejoiced in happiness. And all of Zedkind came to know the name of fear. And the Lord saw, that it was good.

• Like 2

90% of players will tell you the Lee Enfield is a really bad gun. It's fucking amazing. 1-hit kills vs anything.

I beg to differ. The Lee Enfield will bring more zombies than you can kill. I shot my AKM once while I was in the 2 story hotel in Elektro, and about 15 mins, and maybe 50-60 zombies later, I finally got out of that building. I doubt you'll have enough enfield ammo to kill every zombie, and eventually you'll run out and die. Luckily, I had plenty of 30 round AKM mags.

Use a hatchet, it's one hit kill, and it's silent. c:

Don't listen to the guys who live the paranoid 'trust no one' life. It's more fun to give people a chance. There aren't many games where you actually have a chance to run for your life, don't rob yourself of the experience.

• Like 3

I beg to differ. The Lee Enfield will bring more zombies than you can kill. I shot my AKM once while I was in the 2 story hotel in Elektro, and about 15 mins, and maybe 50-60 zombies later, I finally got out of that building. I doubt you'll have enough enfield ammo to kill every zombie, and eventually you'll run out and die. Luckily, I had plenty of 30 round AKM mags.

Use a hatchet, it's one hit kill, and it's silent. c:

The Lee Enfield is one of the best weapons in the game. You're an IDIOT if you put yourself in a position where you'll be cornered upon firing. I'm sorry that you used your AKM at the wrong time and wasted so much ammo but if you shoot-and-run and don't get trapped in the apartments you're fine.

For me the two things i want straight away are a hatchet and a bigger backpack. British Assault packs seem all the rage nowadays and can be found quite easily in cities. Hatchets are ideal for zombie killing - there's no finer weapon against the Infected if you want to remain quiet.

Once i have that backpack the best weapon i can find for player "interaction" (usually an AKM or Enfield) gets put inside. Then you have time to find a few items (water bottle, matches, knife, map and compass) and you are good to go anywhere you like.

Oh, and antibiotics, don't forget those.

With the new patch, now you can't ever get hit by a zombie or you will get infected in a couple of hits if its from an infected zombie (I think these are the ones with blood stains on their front). If you get infected you start coughing so everyone around can hear you, and they will shoot you (don't trust anyone as everyone else said). Also it drains your blood slowly until you die, over time. Eat food to regain lost blood from the infection. Only eat one food item at a time. When the up arrow goes back down on your blood icon, can can eat another food item. Do not eat more food if the blood level is full, even if you are hunry (unless it is blinking), wait until you lose some blood before eating.

Don't listen to the guys who live the paranoid 'trust no one' life. It's more fun to give people a chance. There aren't many games where you actually have a chance to run for your life, don't rob yourself of the experience.

Sounds like you haven't played the game yet.

You don't have to kill people you see, you could also run away. This is unless you have a death wish ('giving them a chance'),

Edited by Noface