rocket

No DevBlog this week but here is some screens

That's a misrepresentation. Apparently it's more than a temporary place holder. Granted, Rocket said things such as the pure Red/Green buttons will change, but others, such as the font, won't. However, he has defended the way it looks here and on reddit/twitter as well.

Hopefully those buttons will change cause theyre rly horrible. Maybe adjust the size of those cloth-boxes/put them in a proper order but i dont care much about the other elements of the inventory for now but I Would appreciate some more changes in future patches.

Edited by Donlod

ha i want to quote something from Dean, from this very thread :D

Kinda reminds me of the time I wrote a proposal in the Air Force for how we handled our corporate insurance claims, which would have saved the my unit 250k per quarter and I handed it to my CO and he said "Why didn't you use a different font for the headings from the body?" and I felt like taking the proposal off him and saying "I think you've had enough internet for one day".

please read that thoroughly and think about it and think about where his priorites may lie

• Like 1

The UI does look terrible... Also Rocket tells us how open he is about this game and leaves us 2 months in the dark while on Everest or is simply afraid to tell the truth ( December 2012 ). Watching the leaked gameplay on youtube really shows that this is almost the same as mod but with some retarded zombie moves and edited chernarus map. But I will still be buying and playing the game because I enjoy the mod.

@gummy

i'm sorry, my conclusion is that whenever some good arguments are brought up against your construct of arguments you seem to totally ignore and dismiss them. Instead you pick and choose the most suitable ones and keep repeating your original arguments...

let me ask...are you politician?

Are you telling me there's something wrong being a politician? I don't get all the hate against Gummy when he's bringing up good points.

its not very similar to minecraft for example minecraft has way more ui slots, the clothes don't have ui slots and theres no gloves in minecraft

it is from minecraft or similar. dean has mentioned many times minecraft type this or that. its a grreat sales platform type game and probably why they produced a similar version. has seen a few similar type ui in recent games i play and most go with minecraft style becuase of its success.

i still say the actual original one is better on the eyes and probably to use . if they added that people would just say wtf have you been doing all this time and why should i pay money for something that was free ?

in my honest op it looks like something you would use with windows 8 and everyone knows about win 8 it sucks ass ! all the new developers like square boxes bla blah its so stream lined and what happened most hate it :lol: on platforms that it is useful like touch screen crap maybe but on big pcs just garbage. functionality first then design after.

also must say please dont include that dale winton gay jump i have seen :lol:

Are you telling me there's something wrong being a politician? I don't get all the hate against Gummy when he's bringing up good points.

to be honest, as long as they represent the beliefs of a certain party yes. i also think some are going too far with their rage. and gummys points are exactly not good points. repetitive at most and although some counter-arguments quite nicely take apart his arguments, he is still coming back as he was trapped in an endless loop

Edited by joe_mcentire

Can you show me the good arguements??? I couldn't find them.

Also lock thread? Seems derailed enough.

from other thread:

what strikes me the most is, that everyone from the beginning more or less knew what to expect, also with Dean all along telling us. Problem is that the gap between expectations and reality in the meanwhile is far apart. ppl suggest and suggest and dream a little bit. maybe it was an error not to bring infos with more regularity. in these time-gaps ppl started to assume and dream and so thats how this massive gap has been created for some. (at least for these early alpha stages)

it is easy i admit. just go to the suggestion-forum and look at some very awesome stuff. most of it is simply impossible to achieve in a fair amount of time. also Dean maybe made an error when confronted in interviews with "will we see/have this and that?" many times he responded with "yeah we're looking into that" or "we think about it" or "we have some ideas". this may also raised hopes for some. maybe at some point he should have said, that there are so many good ideas but they would struggle to implement even only a fractional amount of them.

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 2

It`s been a while since I have posted in here now, but I still check in from time to time.

The pictures that was posted looks okey. Many of us are already playing dayzmod alot (more than other "complete" games)

so release should be a high priority now (as I am sure it is).

There are however 2 problems that I can not find any good information on.

1. Helicopters. will they be in the release? Most players hunt for them or want them, makes the game alot more fun.

2. Foliage. Will the problem with loading foliage at range be adressed? I can see in the picture that even if the graphics are nice and it looks very good, the grass in the horizon is still not there. So a player in a ghillie suit would be very visible. Now, whenever you get in i fight with a ghillie suit player, most people know that you have to go far away so that you can see him. Metagaming like that ruin alot of the gaming experince, I can see other metagaming issues have been adressed several times. And perhaps these have aswell. But as I said, I cannot find any good information on it.

Best Regards.

Edited by Raventhorn
  • Like 1

Maybe they should just replace the ghillie suit with an invisibility cloak...

The UI does look terrible... Also Rocket tells us how open he is about this game and leaves us 2 months in the dark while on Everest or is simply afraid to tell the truth ( December 2012 ). Watching the leaked gameplay on youtube really shows that this is almost the same as mod but with some retarded zombie moves and edited chernarus map. But I will still be buying and playing the game because I enjoy the mod.

1)Dean had been planing the trip to Everest before the SA was in production

2)If you call these animations retarded, then you have clearly not played the mod enough

3)Edited Chernarus is a lot of work, and it's not even finished yet.

4)Maybe instead of just saying it's "terrible" and "retarded", you could provide some feedback as to WHY you think this is the case, and share your immense wisdom on how to improve them.

5) I didn't want to do this, but you made me:

a731122bc22d7210ee838c3314d8cb36.jpg?1332017922

• Like 1

Gummy, can you post the picture one more fucking time? for fuck sake.

WIP mean anything to you?

Then people wonder why Dean is reluctant to post any WIP pictures

TEH FONTZ IS HORRIBLESS!!11

I WANT MAH CAAANZZZZ

THE INV LOOKS WORSE THAN MS PAINT

Really? are you THAT lonely or something? Do you feel better about yourself because your sticking your neck out of the crowd and saying something is bad when most people are positive and excited?

Don't forget for a second the humble beginnings of this game and where it is now. One of the most anticipated games of E3, and there you are....complaining about how something looks DURING ALPHA!

Nice one man,people that think that small never really amount to anything, usually have pretty lonely and miserable lives.

I genuinely hope Dean stone walls any further dev info from this point on. You know why? Just to make you neckbeared nerds rage until you all lose your minds and hopefully go and play something that strokes your ego.

fucking peasants.

Anyone that complains about something so insignificant has my blessing to go fuck themselves.

Because you disagree with him there is no need to get personal about it, i think you need to check where you are and act accordingly

Posts like these are not constructive. I have to ask; where is the moderation team?

Sorry. I was in bed :/

Anyhoo, let's all refrain from personal attacks.

The leaked "gameplay" is an old build.

I really don't understand why anyone cares about how graphically good something looks

you are playing a what 8 year old game?

or however many years old ARMA 2 is

I don't want to hear crap about "how ugly the font is"

I really don't understand why anyone cares about how graphically good something looks

you are playing a what 8 year old game?

or however many years old ARMA 2 is

We're talking about the SA pictures, not ArmA 2.

It`s been a while since I have posted in here now, but I still check in from time to time...

2. Foliage. Will the problem with loading foliage at range be adressed? I can see in the picture that even if the graphics are nice and it looks very good, the grass in the horizon is still not there. So a player in a ghillie suit would be very visible. Now, whenever you get in i fight with a ghillie suit player, most people know that you have to go far away so that you can see him. Metagaming like that ruin alot of the gaming experince, I can see other metagaming issues have been adressed several times. And perhaps these have aswell. But as I said, I cannot find any good information on it.

Best Regards.

This is one of the biggest issue that Bohemia really need fix in their games. This and better mid-range textures are one of the most wanted features in Arma and it'd nice also in DayZ. But Bohemia hasn't really said that they'll try to fix this which is dissapointing.

it doesnt matter since u can enter ANY server without the grass textures

it doesnt matter since u can enter ANY server without the grass textures

I'm hopeful that the new server architecture will fix that particular exploit.

• Like 2

Because you disagree with him there is no need to get personal about it, i think you need to check where you are and act accordingly

Check where i am? act accordingly? This is the DayZ Mod forum habib, if i did that i would be in a constant state of prepubescent nerd rage over UI 'issues' pre public alpha :lol: . I'd much prefer spending my time discussing things about the mod/standalone and giving it back to the forever alone broken record trolls.

I stand by what i said regardless of you reporting it or the post getting deleted.

If that means i get banned then so be it, i wont however compromise what i think of someones thoughts or in a certain forum members case, their mental state :lol:

I don't visit the forum much anymore, but as a professional digital artist I thought I had to put in my 2 cents on the subject of graphics and functionality.

To say visuals in games aren't important as long as there is good gameplay is to say cinematography in movies isn't important as long as there is a good story. Dumb. Visuals are a key PART of a WHOLE, and like audio or storyline or animation or any other part of the production, graphics are an essential link in a chain that if weak, will cause the chain to break. The concept of the game is solid. The ideas are revolutionary. The coding is moving along great. There may be one or two artists at your disposal, BUT... there is no competent art direction that I can see, and that will be horribly noticeable to those who will be looking for a polished, professional product when it goes to market, and which is already becoming sadly obvious in screenshots and developer comments.

Lets face it, coders can't design worth shit. Artists can't code worth shit. Coders are about as visually minded as artists are syntax minded. It's hard to see the good each other does when we are so wrapped up in the benefits of our own skills but to understand the importance of our different disciplines and to work together to implement them equally is paramount to success. Right now Dean the functionality is fine, but steering a project with code just makes it look like your artists simply aren't competent enough to pass off your game as a professional looking product. Too many amateurish mistakes are being made. It isn't the font itself, or the dark underexposed levels that look like our monitors are on energy-saving, or the unrefined UI, it's the fact that having to implement these things in the first place to fit in with code limitations just make the artists look childish and incompetent. The process desperately needs some direction in there to work artists and coders together so it DOES work, BOTH WAYS. In this day and age when expensive graphics cards are pumping out gorgeous frames by the bucket load in Crysis 3, Arma 3 and Metro Last Light, it IS possible to have the full package. Even Minecraft with its Sonic Ether shaders looks amazing now and plays well.

So Kind of begs the question: what are people buying top dollar graphics cards for if graphics really aren't important?

In the end, compromising visuals because they don't scale well with the coding is never a reason, any more than restricting functionality in favour of pretty pictures. Make it all work together and you have a winner.

• Like 19

^^You should visit more often.

Agreed!

Great post!

Logic is undeniable.

Explains why a large portion of arma fans can code :P

• Like 1

dean on livestream:

-talking squirrels with rabies confirmed

-hello kitty contracts to use ingame hello kitty backpack for $ 1,99-- confirmed

Edited by joe_mcentire