rocket

No DevBlog this week but here is some screens

an AK-47... ewe

oh god do I hate the AK-47, and for that matter, the whole god damn Kalashnikov family of fire arms. There is absolutely nothing sexy about the design. No redeeming grace whatsoever.

These screenshots would have been so much better if you had placed the righteous Lee Enfield "Point Three 'oh Three" instead.

Just my two cents... <_<

P.S. and behold... is that part of a Lee Reloading Kit I see at icon 8 of the inventory? It better be.

Edited by codestargod

hello, wanted to know if DayZ work with Oculus Rift ?

No, it needs solid 60 fps.

I have an idea for Rocket that will probably help him speed things up on the visual side, and also give him some time away from complainers.

Why don't you allow members of the community (forums/reddit/twitter) to work on some graphics, like the UI for instance.

I'd assume that it's just a semitransparent .png. The forums have already proven their capacity of using photoshop based on the work posted on the "I saw rocket" thread.

And I'm pretty sure they would be more than glad to help designing something cool for the UI, the main menu, etc.

It's a type of dev-players relation that's always beneficial for the game.

It could even be made in sort of a competition way, where everyone have a deadline to post their .pngs on here and/or reddit on a specific topic, and then people vote on the best entry.

And it could even be expanded for game assets, like guns, food, etc.

Take as example the game Team Fortress 2.... it's almost a decade old, but it is still one of the most played games of steam. A lot of it is due to the community creating content for the game.

Players there that know modelling/texturing can make their own custom hats and packs (which are sold, but this wouldn't be the case here).

Why can't we help making assets for DayZ SA?

With some people busy working on helping making the UI look better, not only there would be less complaining about it not getting better, but people would feel connected to the development.

And after the winners are put into the game, people wont' have what to complain. "If you don't like it, you should have tried making it better".

hi rocket,

is there going to be a notice of when the public alpha will be available before it actually releases? (so ppl like me could arrange some vacationsdayz from work) Also got a spot free in the closed beta for an avid gamer? :)

keep up the good work

-snip-

I actually saw that one on reddit. It's looking way better than the "original" one.

Yeah, I am aware it's W.I.P.

I hope the new inventory system works better than the Arma 3 one its ripped from, you still can't pick up ammo from a car etc. Loooking good though. :)

Seems lazy for the player. I'd much, much more prefer a "point cursor -> click" to pick up an individual item, not open up a menu and drag and drop stuff. Takes me out of the game a bit.

You should never be able to just stand in one spot and pick up multiple items, people should have to dig deep and spend lots of time on looting items. Imagine if you have 3 zeds bolting after you inside a building and you just have to have that can of beans and bandage. Well, if I can see both of them, I can just open up a menu and drag and drop both fairly quickly.

It'd feel much more rushed and precise if I had to point my "hand" (cursor) at one individually and grab it. The only time you should be able to manipulate items in a menu is if you already have them.

For example, in DayZ mod, if you have a loot pile on the ground and zeds are trying to attack you, you can just keep the menu open (having the items in sight) and shuffle back and forth without really even looking at the times - you just somehow get grab the items via drag and drop...doesn't seem right

this way it would be far more immersive...but imagine two different types of "grabbing stuff"

- rushed grabbing:

point and click; you'll get the item and it is automatically stored randomly in one of your free pocket/slots. You'll have to open your backpack later manually by pressing a button to take a view. more immersive way, when rushing through buildings or in genereal areas where possible hazards may be or when being chased.

- calm scavenging:

manually open your backpack and you'll have it the way like in the currently envisaged inventory: the vicinity window. You see a list of all objects in your vicinity and reach(radius=Xm). nonetheless immersive, imagine you stand in front of a table sweeping it clear with one move of your hand straight into your backpack.

Now you can decide

edit:

are these eyewear, gloves, etc. slots necessary or can you just drag and drop directly items onto the avatar? did i overread that part?

Edited by joe_mcentire

Well, the game looks really nice and I hope it will be as great as the mod in his starting times. :D

But, I've one question!

How will the serversystem be handled ?

Will everybody be allowed to rent a server, and will every server has its own hive ? Like now. I hate that. Everybody rents his own server with an own hive. Thats shit.

If everybody can rent a server, they have to connect to "your" original hive, thats my opinion.

Greetz :)

Well, the game looks really nice and I hope it will be as great as the mod in his starting times. :D

But, I've one question!

How will the serversystem be handled ?

Will everybody be allowed to rent a server, and will every server has its own hive ? Like now. I hate that. Everybody rents his own server with an own hive. Thats shit.

If everybody can rent a server, they have to connect to "your" original hive, thats my opinion.

Greetz :)

To start with it will all be centrally hosted.

haha by the way pretty nice post on reddit

DayZ players in a nutshell: "Please Rocket, we want to see stuff from SA. Please! Anything!"

Rocket: "You really don't want to see it, it's not finished."

DayZ players: "we don't care. Anything is better than nothing. We understand its not finished, we just want to see what you have and we'll be happy."

Rocket: "Well, ok. Here are a couple of things we've been working on recently, but mind you it's still not done yet."

DayZ players: "THAT LOOKS LIKE SHIT! FIX IT!"

Seriously people. Give the guy a freaking break!

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 14

I like how the mod and the standalone are going to be very different so no one can complain about paying for the standalone if they bought arma2 for dayz.

What about weapon swaps, because with ammo being scarce for many of your guns, mid battle you will most definitely have a few where you must swap weapons . will it be quick and easy?

---Looks awesome by the way, keep up the great work!!

Edited by SonicRaptor

This looks so awesome! Can't wait for SA, I've been checking all of your(Rocket's) twitter posts for news and I like what I see! :D

haha by the way pretty nice post on reddit

Lol, yeh that pretty much sums it up. Peeps are griefing him on Twitter about the UI font ffs.

says it all, people are never happy...

I'm not very happy with you saying that at all... Take it back. >:(

Edited by codestargod

I love WIP pics. The whole process of making a video game is fascinating, and I like seeing the thing progress. Thanks for the pics Rocket, SA looks to be shaping up nicely.

The spray is disinfectant i believe,

No man, its a healing potion. 25HP

• Like 3

So, the environment looks 10x better, AND we're getting an FPS boost?

omigod omigod omigod omigod omigod

• Like 1

Personally, I think the UI looks brilliant. Compared to Arma, this looks much more user-friendly. Loving the slight details in the asphalt on the second screen too. Looks aged a bit. Can't wait to try SA. I could care less how buggy it is at this point. As long as it's got better hacker protection, I'm good.

I do have a question though Dean. You said that a seperate animation is going to be put in place for accessing the backpack. I'm just wondering if there will be a way to cancel out of that quickly and pick up your gun to defend yourself. Nothing like being stuck in a lengthy animation only to get killed b/c your character isn't doing what you would do IRL. Perhaps he just drops his backpack and picks the gun up quickly?

• Like 1