Sign in to follow this  
Bororm

Don't Put Clearings Around Heli Crashes

So I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this, or if there's already a thread, but for the upcoming patch there is a change to add a clearing around helicopter crashes so you can see the loot easily. Here is the picture: http://i.imgur.com/uVDfGym.jpg

What is the point of this? It's not that hard to find items around crash sites, it adds a little bit of an extra challenge to try to figure out what's actually there and see what's going on. It also allows people to miss items currently, which is good because in the off chance some one does the next person along might still have a chance at finding something. This just seems like making it easy mode for the sake of making it easy, something I hate to see in DayZ. The completely artificial looking perfect circle is also pretty jarring. I think this shouldn't be put in.

Sorry if this has been covered already.

• Like 16

Surely it's where the explosion/fire destroyed the grass?

• Like 5

maybe, but it looks shit. :P Searching is fun and makes heart attacks, love the old way. No problems with black grass or changes in general, but please not like the pic.

Explosion to destroy the grass? the heli is intact to much for that.

reminds me of crop circles maybe aliens are shooting these heli's down.

and Borom get some food and water asap

Explosion to destroy the grass? the heli is intact to much for that.

reminds me of crop circles maybe aliens are shooting these heli's down.

and Borom get some food and water asap

I imagine the fuel tank would have leaked and there's a lot of smoke, so I'd assume there were flames initially.

Hmmm, have to agree. That nice little circle does look odd.

Perhaps there should be a small crater or blackened ground instead of a nice circle so all the loot can be snapped up easily.

I've never seen that before... surely some server options?

Normally I have to roll around in a circle to flatten the grass so i can ensure I didn't miss anything, but even then... doesn't ever look that "clear"

It's in the notes for the next patch, so I'm hoping enough people will speak up about it so it won't make it in, because it seems like a really lousy change.

It is simple enough to stand back a few hundred metres and scope all the goodies then make a beeline to them anyway. Making it simple like above pic seems even more uber easy.

Agreed, not only does it look dumb but its totally unnecessary.

• Like 1

Don't add this. The idea of finding an AS50 under that damned heli eject door is just too awesome. I've missed 5 AS50's like that. It adds a sense of suspence, and causes it to take more time to loot, increasing danger.

• Like 2

And where would the traces of the impact be...the ground must have been plowed quite a bit and the stuff should be scattered further or maybe even be hidden under rubble. It shouldn't just "fall out".

I had enough situations where i thought a crashsight has been looted but there were still a lot of things because the grass covered them.

Agreed, not only does it look dumb but its totally unnecessary.

true and a little bump

I dont agree with the OP.

Consider camping heli crashes less effective since now any potential customers will see that there is no loot from a distance.

If possible, change the big circle to a straight line, as if the chopper slid for a bit on the ground, then remove the loot spot near the tail and whatnot and put the actual helicopter crash rubble thing that spawns when you crash a chopper into a hill or something.

Just a thought.

November 1995, we had to collect pieces from a heli crash. It had crashed on a pine tree and half of it was still up there. The tree was not burned in the least, (although it was quite broken). We had to stay there for 2 days and criss cross 200 to 300 square meters to find all the items. All looked like garbadge and I would really doupt if anything worked. I would think that the in game dispersion should be far wider and the loot that actually works much scarcer.

Interest point: nobody died in that crash, but all 5 were hospitalized, think all kinds of broken bones.

Might as well just store all the loot in the chopper and make it really easy to get weapons. THIS ISN'T WASTELAND PEOPLE.

I dont agree with the OP.

Consider camping heli crashes less effective since now any potential customers will see that there is no loot from a distance.

What's the point of looking and beeing surprised then? How about we place a flashing neon sign above every loot position and not just crash sites so people can tell from 2km if there are things to loot at that place?

So I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this, or if there's already a thread, but for the upcoming patch there is a change to add a clearing around helicopter crashes so you can see the loot easily. Here is the picture: http://i.imgur.com/uVDfGym.jpg

What is the point of this? It's not that hard to find items around crash sites, it adds a little bit of an extra challenge to try to figure out what's actually there and see what's going on. It also allows people to miss items currently, which is good because in the off chance some one does the next person along might still have a chance at finding something. This just seems like making it easy mode for the sake of making it easy, something I hate to see in DayZ. The completely artificial looking perfect circle is also pretty jarring. I think this shouldn't be put in.

Sorry if this has been covered already.

Agreed. This looks dumb as hell, and removes some all the effort of looking for stuff at tye crash.

The crash site was the only lootspot where people actually missed good stuff if they didn't look properly.

In standalone, that will be expanded to all the other lootspots. In the mod, all the other lootspots are extended to the crashsite?

doesn't make sense.

I suppose the dev-team gets a lot of whining all the time, but seriously. Not being able to find loot easy enough? You can be at full gear in a day. Gear to hard to find is really the last problem there is.

I wouldn't hate it when it's there, but I see no point in having it.

yeah I mean sometimes crash sites appear on surfaces with little/no foliage anyway (like runway) so why make it even easier?