supercraft360

Dayz SA to be a failure

Hello there

As other tried to point out, even if folk stick with the mod they'll still have to buy a Bis product. Namely A2OA or possibly A3.

I doubt BI would release a product that would damage their own profits, they're a small organisation but not daft.

Rgds

LoK

Hello here Lok,

As I tried to point out in my previous posts people who have *already* Arma2 can enjoy dayz mod without generating a single USD/EUR of revenue to BIS.

And if there will be an official or un-official porting of dayz to Arma3, the same can happen with a better engine (Arma3). If I buy arma3 today, it is only the game engine I purchase, not dayz because there is no dayz available.

Will all those people, who have already Arma2 and/or Arma3 purchase SA as well giving *more* revenue to BIS?

Maybe yes, maybe not.

The more alternatives they have the lower the probability, that's basic math.

_Anubis_

Hello there

Ah, I see what you mean.

The two products are aimed at two distinct audiences (bear with me) and there will be a vast difference from the SA when compared to the mod, otherwise what would be the point? Some folk might just stick with the mod, but I dont see it having a major impact on their sales.

Other mods have gone "pro" and have been successful. The RO series for eg. I played both the UT mod and the series.

Rgds

LoK

Never liked private hives... Regular DayZ was always my favorite

Will all those people, who have already Arma2 and/or Arma3 purchase SA as well giving *more* revenue to BIS?

Maybe yes, maybe not.

The more alternatives they have the lower the probability, that's basic math.

You keep acting like the majority will not buy the SA even though it offers an entirely different set of features from the mod wether it gets ported to Arma 3 or not, I don't get that. Arma 3 still has the old server structure so hacking will be easy. Targeting the standalone is going to be much harder for hackers, not that they won't take up that challenge, they like it.

Multiple options might also mean people get each in their own time which would mean less money lost than you predict.

• Like 1

There is nothing "casual" about wanting 200+ vehicles in a map. I'm sorry, but people who think that is just lame. It adds to the realism. Rocket stated that Vehicles won't be in the SA initially, and I hope they make them more indepth in regards to repair and the parts they need to fix. There shouldn't be one-size-fits all parts, and we should be able to scavenge from other vehicles.

My major gripe with Day Z is that it isn't straying away from the Arma/DayZ mod formula in how it works the server. I don't think there should be any player-run servers, or private hives, period. This is a standalone game and they should invest in their own servers, even if that means us paying a subscription fee like a normal MMO.

I'd actually prefer a shitton of vehicles in the standalone, but nearly no fuel on the whole map and many of the vehicles broken. Would be authentic imo. I currently only play DayZ from time to time on a private Taviana Server with 500 vehicles or something, just to drive/fly around the world a bit, try not to DM to much and that's it. Very seldomly I join a regular DayZ Server, usually get bored pretty fast after getting shot by some KOS guy, I've had my time where I was new to Chernarus and enjoyed scavenging for ages and playing Running Simulator ;). Really hope the Zombies get incredibly dangerous in the SA, I'd probably play more Vanilla DayZ with less KoS and more challenges then just other players.

• Like 1

I also like having a shit-ton of vehicles. I mean why wouldn't there be after 90% of the world's drivers become zombies? The way it is now, what's the point of having vehicles if you have to walk hundreds of miles scouring the map to find when, then walk hundreds of miles scouring the map looking for parts, just so you can hide your trophy off in a far corner of the map for fear of it getting damaged or broken? I'm not saying it should be Grand Theft Auto: Zombieland, but if it were up to me, I'd have 1-5 vehicles in every town in various stages of repair and fuel. Quite honestly, running for hours in the woods is pretty boring.

• Like 1

I guess i'm the only one who enjoys 200+ vehicles. I find it really boring when finding a vehicle is the highlight of your stay on the server. Back in the early days where when you saw a guy on a bike you saw the grail... those were dark times.

• Like 1

please understand that by not appealing to more "Casual" users, you are missing out on a big audience which will make dayz the game of the year.

I think the solution here would be to have different modes that appeal to different audiences, such as the casual, hardcore, etc. people. He should by no means re-wire the workings of the entire game mechanics to fit the broad audience. Let people fine-tune their experience (with private-hives).

Edited by Lepryy

They don't need to appeal to more "casual" audiences, they shouldn't and won't, doing so ultimately only hurts the game. There are plenty of other developers out there that already do that if that's what you are after or just stick with the various ArmA 2/3 mods, just know you aren't playing DayZ. Personally I hope we don't see private hives for a long time if ever in the standalone. I admit they were necessary in the mod due to the problems with hackers but for me they have ultimately killed the mod with every server nowadays having 500 vehicles, custom loadouts, donation rewards etc.

• Like 12

They don't need to appeal to more "casual" audiences, they shouldn't and won't, doing so ultimately only hurts the game. There are plenty of other developers out there that already do that if that's what you are after or just stick with the various ArmA 2/3 mods, just know you aren't playing DayZ. Personally I hope we don't see private hives for a long time if ever in the standalone. I admit they were necessary in the mod due to the problems with hackers but for me they have ultimately killed the mod with every server nowadays having 500 vehicles, custom loadouts, donation rewards etc.

For me it did the opposite, it only enhanced the experience. I never play on private hives with hundreds of vehicles and so on. I play on vanilla private hives with small tweaks to enhance the experience. Private hives are superior to public in this game for me because they have smaller, more friendly communities. Everyone knows each other and people form small alliances. Just my preference, and it would be a damn shame if private hives are never supported in this game because that's how I enjoy it.

Just a couple thoughts.

A lot of the new population has never really experienced vanilla dayz which is a little sad. A huge thing that this game has going for it is the pace. It causes those those moments of intensity/action to seem amplified. The reason is due to the pace of the game.

Sometimes the community is just wrong and you should not listen to them. Take music as an example. Take whatever your favorite album of all time is and then try to imagine what it would have become if everyone had a say in the final product. I bet it would not be your number one jam.

For anyone who is worried that the game will be too hard and that will keep people away. There are plenty of hard games but once again just an example. Have you ever played Dark Souls? Truly one of my favorite games but at the same time a brutal journey. There are so many mechanics that could have been deemed "too hard" or that it would push away possible revenue or whatever. But in the end they made an evil masterpiece that would have you cursing the game one night vowing to never play again to only find yourself cursing the game the next night. That is what dayz should be like. A game that is always punishing you so that when you do prevail it is all the more rewarding for you the gamer.

Just keep gaming and we will wait and see. Dayz needs to be born first before we start calling out the defects.

• Like 5

Hello everyone,

Over the past few months, I have been closely watching twitter updates, devblogs and just stuff about standalone posted by rocket in general. Rocket has the idea that everyone is into scarce starting loadouts and low vehicle spawn rates, which I have nothing against, BUT, this also means there will be no private hive dayz servers which I am extremely unhappy about. If this is to happen, I probably will not buy SA and stick with the mod - where it all started. I am quiet honestly confused with rocket's decisions as they will impact the future of his career. Because if he messes Dayz Standalone up, who is going to actually want to be in associated with him? Yeah - give him a chance, but this game is highly anticipated and if OP does not deliver, all hell goes loose. This will probably get deleted, but I am entitled to make my own suggestion about how standalone should run.

Yeah - standalone will be good, but will it rise above the mod? Or will it turn into a lame warz like game. Rocket, if you read this on MT Everest, please understand that by not appealing to more "Casual" users, you are missing out on a big audience which will make dayz the game of the year.

Thanks for reading,

Josh

Sorry to be blunt. Casual players are not welcome. F off. If they don't like it we won't bend to meet their needs.

OR rather Rocket will not derp the core game so people can play with side chat, spawning with a helicopter in la la land akin to SDK for people who want to dick around. That might come later. Get the core right first, then this might come. I'll take an unbroken, unhackable game over admins spawning free shit.

Edited by Trizzo

what a crap opinion.

it's ur opinion man, but its like, uhm yeah, CRAP.

appeal to the masses? HAHA GO F OFF with the rest of the dumbed down gaming society!

this here is OUR LAND, OUR RULES.

ur just like the bunch of "gaming market analyzer" that talk bullshit into most game companies.

Having no effing clue, just talking as mutch rubbish as possible, telling shit like "if its too complicated, people wont like it."

get off ma interwebz please.

So seems to me that this thread has changed into a debate over the terms "Hardcore" and "Casual" or "Mainstream" or "Off the beaten path".

Years ago I told me oldest son that games will all be morphing into a sub type of RPG, that will include action shooter, first person, free roam open world environments. I also explained the gaming industry will be phasing out complex and highly intricate, difficult niche gaming. We all know the reason for this is to cater to the masses, mainstream, casual and all ages. Guys I have been gaming for 34 years, and it has been one of my favorite hobbies. I was gaming when my piers said it was childish but I still loved the immerse environments that were created. Turns out, it is an entertainment industry that rivals the film/art people the world round.

My point is one I do not relish, or feel helps the more hardcore/dedicated video game hobbyist. The gaming industry has: Loot level/Mob level, remove mind puzzles, take away tons of great stats, wipe clear the Hud, remove Races/classes.... it goes on

Here are a few that have been morphed into "Games that everyone can play". Throughout their development, they were changed from what made them great, into what makes them MONEY...

1) Elderscrolls.

a. Arena

b. Daggerfall

c. Morrownind (My Personal Fav)

d. Oblivion

e. Skyrim

2) Fallout

a. One

b. Two

c. Three

e. New Vegas

3) Fable

a. Fable I

b. Fable II

c. Fable II

e. Future installments Fable the Journey

f. Future installments Fable V

4) Every fucking MMO left on the planet

a. To many to list, but all following the model, "simple sells better".

Anyone that has played these games(all of them)see a disturbing trend, that money will always trump quality. How they achieve that, is by making games that everyone can play. The numbers dictate what is created. As for Bohemia Interactive, they have stayed within the "Quality games, for Quality gamers" model and I don't give a fuck about people who fall outside these lines, and if you are a hardcore gaming enthusiast, then you shouldn't either. The OP has an opinion that seems to fit within the general populace of Casual gamers. It is his opinion, which seems to fit within the mass market Model. But again, I don't fit their, and Dayz is NOT meant to fit either. Rest at ease, Rocket will not sacrifice what he wants, just to become a millionaire..... hmm, I hope not.

• Like 9

I think everyone just has to think about the challenges of actually creating something. Anything that you take the TIME to CREATE will have setbacks, frustrations,, problem solving, and over issues. At some point along the timescale you usually even question and have self doubt about the creation. Months and months of working on anything is grueling at times and makes you wondering if it is the right course. All of these things can and usually due occur along the creative process. If they didn't then the idea/creation wouldn't grow into more.

Basically patience is a virtue. We need to wait until the game comes out and then wait some more. It will take time for the game to grow into its own and really get into its proper state.

Hello there

I'll think you find casual players ARE welcome, but the game may not suit them. Everyone is welcome to try it.

As for our game our rules? Nope, Rocket's** Game HIS Rules.

Rgds

LoK

**inc devs etc

Edited by orlok
grammar
  • Like 1

Private servers and customization to the DayZ mod seem to have become more popular recently, probably because people need a change.

However, with SA - its an entirely new game with new content releases along the road, something that this MOD would never be able to achieve on the scale the SA will.

Please excuse me if you thought I was the kind of guy that likes starting with a mp5sd with steak and walking around corners finding vehicles, no. I like having barely any vehicles on my server, and higher zombie spawn rates. What I don't like is going on to public servers and having fuckhead scream on side channel and just camp spawn, which will still be a issue in SA. Trust me, the first thing you will hear when you first logon to standalone, is prebs shouting the their microphones and camping spawns... This will always be a issue, unless rules are put in place, and since their will be no private hives at first, we will have to deal with prebs. That's why disable side channel and have teamspeak so I can monitor it much easier. Dayz would be nothing without custom maps, on youtube over 50% of videos are taken on custom maps, so are live streams, and rocket has already said that community made maps will not be avaible as they can open holes to hackers, but isn't battleeye and VAC getting upgraded and put in? Regardless, I see his concerns, but it's just another reason for no private hive servers, done deal.

Edited by J-dub

Please excuse me if you thought I was the kind of guy that likes starting with a mp5sd with steak and walking around corners finding vehicles, no. I like having barely any vehicles on my server, and higher zombie spawn rates. What I don't like is going on to public servers and having fuckhead scream on side channel and just camp spawn, which will still be a issue in SA. Trust me, the first thing you will hear when you first logon to standalone, is prebs shouting the their microphones and camping spawns... This will always be a issue, unless rules are put in place, and since their will be no private hives at first, we will have to deal with prebs. That's why disable side channel and have teamspeak so I can monitor it much easier. Dayz would be nothing without custom maps, on youtube over 50% of videos are taken on custom maps, so are live streams, and rocket has already said that community made maps will not be avaible as they can open holes to hackers, but isn't battleeye and VAC getting upgraded and put in? Regardless, I see his concerns, but it's just another reason for no private hive servers, done deal.

You know side chat was taken out from the mod a few updates ago right? if you play on a server with side chat ON you're playing on a modified one (even if it is public). Change server and no more mic idiots.

Back when the mod first took off the official hive had a no side chat rule meaning all servers (should have)had this blocked. Going off this i would expect to see SA have no chat based systems at all meaning all voice com's well except direct will also be removed. Rocket has always been very clear about that side.

But lets wait and see.

I'd rather a game that shoves me against the wall and continuously kicks my head in till i understand it. The mod when i first started did that for me, i got owned constantly but i learned and became what i am. Standalone will be the same, this isn't some fancy film set, Rocket wants the full "you're in the shit now fella" experience, a game that changes the way people think and play, Keyword there is "Think".

That's the problem with todays game, they require about 2% thinking time at a push and the other 98% is madly bashing you're mouse and keyboard while screaming "OMG U GOT OWNED NOOB" at you're pixilated foe across the internet. SA will be massive because it's changing the way people play games, bringing back what i would call the "Broken Sword" age where in order to get through the game you need to think and i for one want Standalone to kick my skull in till i learn.

• Like 14

I disagree with most of what OP said. In fact I don't think OP offered up a single logical explanation to his thread title.

I do think this game will not live up to the hype however. Rocket should have stuck with his base game plan in my opinion. It should have been released back in december like he said it would be for 100% certain, and allowed to grow in the 'minecraft' model.

Instead here we are in April with still no release date, no real idea of what is going on, and as a whole having spent many millions of dollars buying arma keys, renting servers, donating to streamers etc....etc....etc...

This game has literally been played to death. It's old news now, overwhelmingly attributed to the brilliant ideas and actions by the community, rather then the developers.

I had a great time playing DayZ Mod, and the mods that spawned from it, but the season has come and gone for the whole zombie apocalypse thing.

I'm sure I'm commign across to many of you as being a dick, or what have you, it really isn't my intent. I'm just being realistic here. Mr hall & Co. had a great idea and they offered up countless hours of gameplay to us. They had the bull by the horns and they simply let go of it.

What I'm saying here was put into very easy to understand terms by Dean Hall himself speaking before an audiance. The video is readily available all over the internet and I couldn't agree with Dean Hall more. He really messed up by letting us all down with that December release date and never even commenting on it until it had long since come and gone.

For this game to be even remotely as sucessful as it could have been, the whole thing would need to be remodled and repackaged from the ground up adding years to a potential released date.

I had a boat load of fun with this game, but now after coming back many months later and seeign that heads have still not been removed from asses and there is still not even a release date...

It's time to move on. Lots of interesting games comming out with technology vastly superior to anything a game based on the Arma II engine could ever hope to offer, Arma III script injecting or not.

Dean Hall, if your reading this you really should drop what your doing right this second, Pickup DayZ for Arma III and completely repackage, rebrand, and remodel it. You will be rewarded handsomely.

I read the original post, and a couple pages afterwards before it turned into everybody saying the same thing repeatedly. So I'll say this again.

If the 'casual players' all drop and disregard DayZ because of the time frame/content, I'll be happy.

The original fanbase and the community that propelled this game into the spotlight are what made this game awesome. Personally, I'll enjoy it getting back to its roots. The way Rocket intended.

Call me a fan-boy, because I admit to it. Go away, you 'casuals', because honestly, in the long-term, you just make this game suck.

• Like 1