willey.erd@oundleschool.org.uk

DayZ Alpha won't launch until launched !

because that happens a lot in RL :rolleyes:

Probably depends how much water you drink.

...and how much you run.

• Like 2

anyone ever did any sports? try to trink way too much water before or in a break...you're going to have a bad time when you'll start/resume

Edited by joe_mcentire

anyone ever did any sports? try to trink way too much water before or in a break...you're going to have a bad time when you'll start/resume

Never mind cross-country running for hours on end :lol:

It could be an alternative to a stamina system.

i dont get why anarchybrownies cant understand that people are confused. I will start by saying that I personally do not care when it is released, but stop pretending like rocket doesnt trip over his words every dev blog/interview.

He says things like "release right around the corner" or, "we just finished x, and now we are ready to release so it should be anytime now", or "large scale alpha testing will be out imminently." or just mentioning dates or time frames that shouldnt be mentioned at all since they arent relevant to release.

He doesnt need to say july 15th to make people think release is coming. its all in his wording and he DOES dangle the carrot from our heads. so stop pretending like its so obvious what rocket means or intends, because it isnt.

The standalone has been the most convoluted development I have ever heard of. I am not saying its rockets fault or that he intends to confuse and dismay everyone. I am however saying that is unintentionally exactly what he does.

they are obviously anxious about releasing it without a shitload of new shit because they fear that people will say "we waited all that time for a slightly altered mod?" if i was on the dev team i would be thinking that. i mean you cant SEE server architecture changes so to the public it appears that the game has barely changed except for motorbike helmets...

i will say that when i saw the demo, it was gut wrenching to watch those stupid ass zombies STILL glitching around and being utterly useless. not to mention 100 times sillier now that they can fly around (apparently supposed to be jump attacking)... so i dont blame them for their hesitation.

My point was that if there's any confusion that it's from misunderstanding, meaning there's no confusion about what he actually meant just about what people thought he meant. I said that because earlier there was a tone suggesting that there were multiple ways of interpreting what Rocket said, and that was wrong. There is true and false for what he said, it's not something that's up for interpretation and analysis.

We've only been waiting for the alpha release of the standalone for 6 months. Is that really that long to wait for a brand new game? I don't feel like it is. I also don't feel like any date has been pushed back ever. He said mid-June they would re-evaluate the situation and they did. At E3 he said no more than two months and probably a lot less. Even with "stumbling over his words" it's quite clear what he means if you watch the millions of videos of him repeating the same thing. By the way, he has never said anything close to "it's ready for release so release should be any time now." That's crazy. They may be making sure it's ready for release, but if it was ready it would be out.

When you talk about development being convoluted that's also quite unfair. What about the development is convoluted? What they tell us? They don't have to tell us anything at all. We're lucky they've kept us in the loop even a little bit! Or are you talking about the literal development of the game? If so then you're going to have to enlighten me on what you know about what goes on with the actual development team. It sounds very self-entitled to sit here and say you deserve to have information in the way you want it (not convoluted) when no one has to give you that information in the first place. They could release a devblog 1 letter at a time every hour of every day if they wanted to. Personally, I think they've given us a huge amount of insight and information. I think the fact that the information is kind of fractured between sources is just a testament to how lucky we are to have it. It shows that they just throw whatever they can out there, whenever they can. Like I've said, if you want clarification on something you find confusing then come here. The only people I've ever given a hard time are people who show up on the forums having emotional fits about what they demand to know or about how disappointed they are with this or that and most of it is based on bad information. Anyone with a question or who is confused by something and asks for clarification is NEVER given a hard time.

I made a post in another thread about the shitty looking zombies where I basically outlined the fact that the pathing seems off despite a previous development video showing that it was fixed. So between that development video and the newer build (E3), something seems to have broken. However, any criticism I have I will keep to a bare minimum until I actually play the game. Jumping zombies also doesn't matter because it can easily be tweaked or removed. I'm really reluctant to talk about content all that much until I actually play the game.

I'll always maintain that people dangle their own carrots in front of their faces because while I've been excited and anxious about the release, I've always got the message that I'm going to have to wait a while. Never have I thought that I will absolutely be playing the game by this or that date, and I base that entirely on what I've read and heard from the development team. The carrot being dangled in front of you is useless if you're not completely desperate to have that carrot. Lower your own expectations and nothing becomes a tease anymore. You'll just see DayZ on steam one day.

TL;DR

Confusion is fine and understandable, but it doesn't mean something like what was said about release dates is debatable.

I think people need to stop demanding that they have information in their desired amount and quality.

Lower your expectations and you won't be teased by the development team in any significant way.

P.S. And I mean no offense in any way to you, Roark. I'm not saying you actually are self-entitled by any means. I'm saying that sort of thing comes off that way and it just happens to rub me the wrong way

• Like 6

My point was that if there's any confusion that it's from misunderstanding, meaning there's no confusion about what he actually meant just about what people thought he meant. I said that because earlier there was a tone suggesting that there were multiple ways of interpreting what Rocket said, and that was wrong. There is true and false for what he said, it's not something that's up for interpretation and analysis.

We've only been waiting for the alpha release of the standalone for 6 months. Is that really that long to wait for a brand new game? I don't feel like it is. I also don't feel like any date has been pushed back ever. He said mid-June they would re-evaluate the situation and they did. At E3 he said no more than two months and probably a lot less. Even with "stumbling over his words" it's quite clear what he means if you watch the millions of videos of him repeating the same thing. By the way, he has never said anything close to "it's ready for release so release should be any time now." That's crazy. They may be making sure it's ready for release, but if it was ready it would be out.

When you talk about development being convoluted that's also quite unfair. What about the development is convoluted? What they tell us? They don't have to tell us anything at all. We're lucky they've kept us in the loop even a little bit! Or are you talking about the literal development of the game? If so then you're going to have to enlighten me on what you know about what goes on with the actual development team. It sounds very self-entitled to sit here and say you deserve to have information in the way you want it (not convoluted) when no one has to give you that information in the first place. They could release a devblog 1 letter at a time every hour of every day if they wanted to. Personally, I think they've given us a huge amount of insight and information. I think the fact that the information is kind of fractured between sources is just a testament to how lucky we are to have it. It shows that they just throw whatever they can out there, whenever they can. Like I've said, if you want clarification on something you find confusing then come here. The only people I've ever given a hard time are people who show up on the forums having emotional fits about what they demand to know or about how disappointed they are with this or that and most of it is based on bad information. Anyone with a question or who is confused by something and asks for clarification is NEVER given a hard time.

I made a post in another thread about the shitty looking zombies where I basically outlined the fact that the pathing seems off despite a previous development video showing that it was fixed. So between that development video and the newer build (E3), something seems to have broken. However, any criticism I have I will keep to a bare minimum until I actually play the game. Jumping zombies also doesn't matter because it can easily be tweaked or removed. I'm really reluctant to talk about content all that much until I actually play the game.

I'll always maintain that people dangle their own carrots in front of their faces because while I've been excited and anxious about the release, I've always got the message that I'm going to have to wait a while. Never have I thought that I will absolutely be playing the game by this or that date, and I base that entirely on what I've read and heard from the development team. The carrot being dangled in front of you is useless if you're not completely desperate to have that carrot. Lower your own expectations and nothing becomes a tease anymore. You'll just see DayZ on steam one day.

TL;DR

Confusion is fine and understandable, but it doesn't mean something like what was said about release dates is debatable.

I think people need to stop demanding that they have information in their desired amount and quality.

Lower your expectations and you won't be teased by the development team in any significant way.

P.S. And I mean no offense in any way to you, Roark. I'm not saying you actually are self-entitled by any means. I'm saying that sort of thing comes off that way and it just happens to rub me the wrong way

Well my point it that Rocket is telling us there is a magical week but he will not tell us which week this is. The problem is this dayz could release every single day. Even tomorrow. Like I said, he could just tell us when we should expect DayZ to not come. If he would tell us "Ok there is no way the Standalone releases ths or next week" I could chill out this and the next week and check the week after if it is there. If he tells me again "Well, in there is no way that the SA will release the next 2 weeks" then I will wait again. But he is like "It could release tomorrow, or maybe mid august". So now I have every day hope that the freaking SA will release tomorrow. What should I do? I cant turn off the hope. It is really frustrating and more dissappointing than having one day and waiting for it.

It is the "Check everyday 5 times if SA is there" which is the real problem here. And this is pissing many people off, because there is no freakin reason why he is not telling us. He does not want to piss us off by not holding a release date? Well, Rocket you are pissing us off by not telling us this release date.

Edited by Wayze

Play the mod, stop letting yourself get hyped up over Standalone, and just forget about it until it gets released.

I've given up on waiting for it, far as I'm concerned it's nothing more that vaporware until I actually have it in my Steam account.

No sense getting hyped up about something that may not be released until next year for all we know.

• Like 1

Play the mod, stop letting yourself get hyped up over Standalone, and just forget about it until it gets released.

I've given up on waiting for it, far as I'm concerned it's nothing more that vaporware until I actually have it in my Steam account.

No sense getting hyped up about something that may not be released until next year for all we know.

Dude, you don't choose to get hyped, it just happens. And you also can't just turn off the hype. I got hyped and I am pissed because Dean does not want to tell us which date he has in mind for release. Nothing to add there.

Edited by Wayze

It is the "Check everyday 5 times if SA is there" which is the real problem here.

I agree it is a real problem for some. Those people really need to find something better to do with their time. I haven't seen this much drama since my daughter got her first paycheck and went shoE shopping.

Edited by ShadowJack
  • Like 3

Dude, you don't choose to get hyped, it just happens. And you also can't just turn off the hype. I got hyped and I am pissed because Dean does not want to tell us which date he has in mind for release. Nothing to add there.

He has weighed the options according to what he believes I guess. The anger of players after not being able to follow through on a given release date is greater than the anger of players who aren't given any date.

Even with a good reason for delaying (COMPLETELY CHANGING) the game back in December, he still receives backlash for that. Months from now nobody will be saying "Dean didn't even tell us a date, that was stupid."

Hype is completely controllable. That is nonsense. Hype is often based on unrealistic expectations and perceptions. You just control those things interally. You can be excited without being "hyped" about something.

EDIT: @ShadowJack I lol'd. I guess it's an exciting time in every girl's life...

Edited by AnarchyBrownies

I agree it is a real problem for some. Those people really need to find something better to do with their time. I haven't seen this much drama since my daughter got her first paycheck and went show shopping.

Its like even if you have something better to do you check it anyway. Sitting in the cinema, check your phone if DayZ released. Being in a bus, checking if DayZ Standalone is released. Playing some games, tabbing out and checking if DayZ is released. It is horrible man. ^^

Edited by Wayze
  • Like 2

Its like even if you have something better to do you check it anyway. Sitting in the cinema, check your phone if DayZ released. Being in a bus, checking if DayZ Standalone is released. Playing some games, tabbing out and checking if DayZ is released. It is horrible man. ^^

haha Wayze I'm beginning to think that maybe you actually have a psychological problem when it comes to DayZ! This sounds more like a dependency than excitement!

haha Wayze I'm beginning to think that maybe you actually have a psychological problem when it comes to DayZ! This sounds more like a dependency than excitement!

Could be xD

Could be xD

It will be here soon enough and you will get your fix :). Remember to take breaks though (every 16 hours should do it) and to continue to eat and drink!

It will be here soon enough and you will get your fix :). Remember to take breaks though (every 16 hours should do it) and to continue to eat and drink!

I'll try, but can't promise anything. ^^

I'll try, but can't promise anything. ^^

i have the same problem xD

preloading the forbidden version did it for me^^

now im 5,56 gb faster in downloading dayz when its released xD

im feeling much better now ;)

edit: deltapatching FTW^^

Edited by siew

i have the same problem xD

preloading the forbidden version did it for me^^

now im 5,56 gb faster in downloading dayz when its released xD

im feeling much better now ;)

edit: deltapatching FTW^^

http://youtu.be/JMUotV2WdiU?t=40s

Just that first couple seconds is all I really wanted to post :P

Edited by AnarchyBrownies
  • Like 1

same for me, I go every few hours to be disappointed that there is no update about the standalone, even when I'm out with my friends I ask for their phones to check if the standalone is out yet...

i didnt mean to sound self entitled or bitter or anything (i realize that i did now lol). i just understand why people are so confused by this development team. i personally am not even waiting for standalone. its something to look forward to when it releases but im not holding my breath for it, and neither should anyone else.

however, another good example is how they said weekly devblogs. devblogs come MAYBE once a month and even then they are usually half assed. and i AM counting things like rezzed and interviews and stuff. thats just a good example of saying something they shouldnt have said since they had no intention of doing weekly devblogs. if they said "we might do devblogs occasionally but probably not" then people wont get confused when weekly blogs arent rolling out!

besides, weekly devblogs is quite ambitious! i wouldnt even expect them to do that since its a lot of work!

its common sense really... say what needs to be said and dont speculate on your own intentions...

its a shame that there is bitterness though because i think rocket's (and the team's) heart is in the right place and i wish him the best with the development and release. the expectation comes with the fame i suppose.

• Like 2

Yeah I used to be excited for the games release but the lack of information and broken promises has made me not really care as much. I totally forgot about the standalone until a friend asked me when will it be released a couple of weeks ago.

Yeah guys, but remember something, hes a first time game developer+designer and team leader, for a title that is to be expected to be at least b+ game, to not say AAA, give him a break.

• Like 2

Yeah guys, but remember something, hes a first time game developer+designer and team leader, for a title that is to be expected to be at least b+ game, to not say AAA, give him a break.

I think even I forget this sometimes. It's not like they have this massive massive pool of money to throw at employees and other resources for coming up with a perfect game.

It will be interesting to see how much money this makes and if it translates to a larger team that is capable of a lot more (becoming AAA).

I think even I forget this sometimes. It's not like they have this massive massive pool of money to throw at employees and other resources for coming up with a perfect game.

It will be interesting to see how much money this makes and if it translates to a larger team that is capable of a lot more (becoming AAA).

Yeah, i wanna see the result too, i hope it sells good so rocket can get a larger team, as he only has now a kind of "black ops" team, dont remember where i read that tho