willey.erd@oundleschool.org.uk

DayZ Alpha won't launch until launched !

You dont see the point, because of games like COD the people actually think you could use a riot shield against bullets. Like I said so often now, you gonna be dead in seconds. Riot shields are not made for lethal combat.

People play CoD and think you can actually stay behind a riot shield and survive a bullet. Do that in real life and you are dead in seconds. Riot shield are not for protecting from bullets, they are used in demonstations and police if the weapons are not high powered. And if you actually want a riot shield which is bullet proof against weapons you need a really heavy one. You have to hold it in both arms so you cannot hold it on one hand and on the other a weapon. Unrealistic. And if someone shoots you while you are holding a riot shield you will be knocked back because the force of a bullet is so immens you could even lose the shield from your hand. Like I said in real life you never use freakin riot shields for military operation because you will die if you do so. They are not bulletproof like I said. And even if they were the impact would be to strong to hold the shield.

Even if this is true.. why are you so against the idea? why not think outside the box if you can? DayZ is not 100% PVP, such a shield might be good against... Ummm, i dunno, Off the top of my head... ZOMBIES, perhaps?

If you get shot at...

~Why not stumble?

~Why not have to drop the shield after rapid fire against you?

~Why not have it protect you from 75% of the bullets damage and then have to repair it with certain tools? (Items are like Vehicles now, they have a damage gauge, a riot shield seems fitting for such a feature, don't you think?)

I'd like to modify a riot shield with nails, more scrap metal, all sorts of blades etc.

• Like 1

Well, hopefully we will see it at the the Summer Sale. It'd be a good time to try and hype up and advertise a bit.

- inb4 shut up it will come out when it is ready.

Wayze, if you think it's not bullet-proof then why the hell do you think S.W.A.T carry it around in firefights? To lift weights? Hell no! It's to protect from bullets and shrapnel. And that demonstration video above proved that. Why are you so oblivious? It blocks the bullet, and just because the bullet is going fast, doesn't mean you are going to be flung across the room and like "Holy shit!". It's not a car, it's a bullet the length of your pinky.

• Like 1

Even if this is true.. why are you so against the idea? why not think outside the box if you can? DayZ is not 100% PVP, such a shield might be good against... Ummm, i dunno, Off the top of my head... ZOMBIES, perhaps?

If you get shot at...

~Why not stumble?

~Why not have it protect you from 75% of the bullets damage and then have to repair it with certain tools? (Items are like Vehicles now, they have a damage gauge, a riot shield seems fitting for such a feature, don't you think?)

I'd like to modify a riot shield with nails, more scrap metal, all sorts of blades etc.

They can be used against snipers on a roof, to get closer to them with this shield, cover your friends while moving on the streets.... Make group action like "Get cover" and one man with the shield get all movement control... pretty interesting thing if think about it, but i againts shields :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMjAfop_vEM

Like ... yeah...

If you position it down on the ground and take cover behind it ( what theyre design for you can fire from behind.

You wont have as much ammo and firepower , but in a straight on firefight id beat youre ass pretty bad with that and a 1911 :D

What you dont realise is that this is a video for demostration. There is a reason why police is using them and why the army is not.

1. It does not protect you from any assault rifles or snipers

2. If you were shot the impact is really big

3. if you don't know how to use the shield properly you are screwed (and in DayZ SA the people are no army veterans)

4. It is too heavy to carry around all day

And its not only high tech swat stuff , local police uses them as well as multi purpose tools...

Also as you can see here it has a 1 arm holding handle to it , kind of a smaller version but still what im looking for.

Why I you showing me this? I know there are shield which can protect you agains pistoles or shotguns. But did you see them once in action? If a bullet with 200m/s hits the shield it wont be easy to hold it.

And as 3rd evidence i would like to show you a nice Shield + Gun/RIFLE Combat training video used as police and special forces strategy.

THE MOST i like the part with rifle and shield

It WON'T make you invincible but gives a HUGE advantage over every enemy especially with high amounts of ow cal weapons.

Evidence? This is a commercial video. Have you ever seen any special forces with shields? If they were really bullet proof every counter terrorist operation would have shield protection. Sorry but reality looks different. You seriously want to argue with youtube videos?

And have you ever seen a policeman with a bulletproof riot shield who got shot? You will not be able to stand on you feets. Riotshields are used to prevent the death. They are just a little insurence if you make a mistake you have a chance to survive. It is not like they think "hell yeah this thing is bulletproof so we can go in there", it is more like "ok if something goes wrong the frontman has a better chance to survive and fall back."

I just dont want DayZ to get a game with walking tanks, if it is realistic then it is ok for me, but believe if it is realistic nobody would walk around with those things.

If you get shot at...

~Why not stumble?

I am not against the idea, but if its made realistic it will be pretty useless believe me.

So

1. it would be really difficult for the devolopers to even intregrate such a thing

2. the time used to intregrate a useless tool could be spend better somewhere else

Like you said it could be a good meele weapon, but against firearms just useless. I just hope if they put this in it wont be like in COD that you are a freaking walking tank.

Wayze, if you think it's not bullet-proof then why the hell do you think S.W.A.T carry it around in firefights? To lift weights? Hell no! It's to protect from bullets and shrapnel. And that demonstration video above proved that. Why are you so oblivious? It blocks the bullet, and just because the bullet is going fast, doesn't mean you are going to be flung across the room and like "Holy shit!". It's not a car, it's a bullet the length of your pinky.

Read what I wrote. If the shield is bulletproof there are alleast 2 guys. One is holding the shield with both hands the other one is using a weapon and hiding behind the shield. If the frontmen gets shot he will most probably fall down, the 2. guy is without protection or has to hold the first guy. How do you want to implement something like that?

And these shields are not used to not get hit by bullets, they are used to not die by bullets. You cant compare DayZ with the police. DayZ was from the beginning like a military survival scenario, and there are good reasons why they dont use riot shields in military operations.

Edited by Wayze

WarZ was a prime example sloppiness and piss poor execution because it wanted to cash in before DayZ could. The Rust devs are in no rush.

Really? What's wrong with the PS2? If you seriously only judge a game off of it's graphics, then it's not even worth the half a calorie to type anymore trying to defend the game. Play games for fun dammit.

yes, and the gameplay looks pretty dam borked , i saw a guy hitting a frozen zombie in the head for about 30 seconds and nothing happened, its hard to call it an amazing game on the basis on the footage so far.

go to 3:50

Also graphics and animation is 100% relevant in this instance, hence why arma2 worked so well as a basis for dayz, because it made the experience feel realistic as it was a sim. Rust looks choppy, absolutely broken ( at this present time) and generally terrible, taking graphics out of the equations. It doesn't have a redeeming feature to it right now. Right now i would say the look of rust is more akin to the war z than anything, and its even more broken presently.

Actually looking more closely is looks like its based on a less cell shaded version of tf2.

It isnt just about the look its about the way it functions, it does not function like a survival game, it looks like someone has smashed their face against the keyboard and tried to release an alpha.

I dont take games based on an alpha footage, but when some absolute ingrate try's to say games like rust are even in the slightest comparable to dayz, even in its current state, and are taking your attention away from it, its actually laughable.

Edited by triggy89

The reason the Army don't use it is because they have fucking armored vehicles and shit. Machine guns, rocket launchers, Sub-Machine guns, 30 men squads, the hell they need a fucking metal shield? And people aren't like "Oh it's bullet-proof lets just walk in there totally un-protected and shit!". And BESIDES if it were that dangerous the S.W.A.T get called in. The S.W.A.T have hostage situations, firefights, disabling a bomb, and many situations which require safety! So of course, a gigantic fucking shield that blocks bullets, is going to be on the shopping list!

@Wayze : Ive gotta give you credits for not wanting this game to become anything like CoD and i'm the last peron that wants that either , believe me.

But as you said it wont make you walking tank , because it will only stop handgun and shotgun ammo , you will be thrown to the ground if hit by a bigger projectile.

You never are completely covered.

But you still have a partially bullet proof shield in your hands that can save your ass and provide cover.Since military weapons will be RARE and meele and 22. cal weapons will be found very often it would be even better.

I think if implemented properly it will come down to personal likings.

And that to the point that you would be thrown back so easily

He is basically shooting a .45 INTO HIS FUCKING HAND WHILE HOLDING THE SHIELD WITH THE OTHER.

it is EASY to hold , a child could stop a bullet and not fall down with that...

I don't want to stop rifle bullets...

Edited by Feanorfeuergeist

Geeeee ..... people ... it could be not a flockin blockin special unique shield .... why it just can't be a piece of metal in pile of garbage .... they just be there .. wait their epic moment) Help some poor man with diarrhea against evil mind of sniper/camper

Geeeee ..... people ... it could be not a flockin blockin special unique shield .... why it just can't be a piece of metal in pile of garbage .... they just be there .. wait their epic moment) Help some poor man with diarrhea against evil mind of sniper/camper

blowtorch + wrecked car = improvised car door shield

These shields used by the military/police should be kind of hard to get in Chernarus.

Riot shields would be nice, since they're adding a prison/police station.

They can be used by a person normally or welded onto a vehicle for protection. Eg. welding them onto where the tires are so they can't be popped by bullets for at least a little while. Though they wouldn't deflect large rounds, maybe only pistol and shotgun fire.

Now that there are 90% more enterable buildings there will be a huge amount of fights in the buildings OR someone can shoot while covering from windows. I thik that is Awesome because when you enter chero for example you have to watch the windows , buildings are the BEST for snipers an a great cover for unarmed so the pvp is going to change a lot. There will be moments that you are in a building and bandits are around so this is awesome.

• Like 3

When talking about riot shield you shoudnt be mixin police forces and army or Armys special forces...

These are security items, agains light/medium arms, melee attacks etc. They are heavy and bulky(various kinds), just try to think is there real use for these in the army... no, maybe for military police. They are good for short distance travels IE few blocks in the city or inside building for better cover. You would stick these for every soldies and use them as a shield when enemy is bounding them with hell who knows what, special forces are mostly fast in fast out, stealth operations.... camon, use of brains is adviced..

All respect to not wanting it to be a cod but this has nothing to do with it, I bet Wayze has no real experience from army or police what so ever so its easy to throw words around (no offence).

Edited by Zeppa

When talking about riot shield you shoudnt be mixin police forces and army or Armys special forces...

These are security items, agains light/medium arms, melee attacks etc. They are heavy and bulky(various kinds), just try to think is there real use for these in the army... no, maybe for military police. They are good for short distance travels IE few blocks in the city or inside building for better cover. You would stick these for every soldies and use them as a shield when enemy is bounding them with hell who knows what, special forces are mostly fast in fast out, stealth operations.... camon, use of brains is adviced..

All respect to not wanting it to be a cod but this has nothing to do with it, I bet Wayze has no real experience from army or police what so ever so its easy to throw words around (no offence).

You are just repeating exactly what I said. Everything you say is actually contra riot shields. In DayZ you have to travel alot, in DayZ you have to be fast in fast out exactly like special forces. Like you said there are reasons why the army is not using them (same what I said before) and exactly these reasons you will find in DayZ.

And sure it has something to do with getting a CoD. Like I said before (omg I am repeating myself) if the shields are actually implemented realistic that is no problem, but if you can stop AK74 bullets itwould be just stupid. Also the shield should take a whole weapons slot. And you will see if there will be theses shields noone will be using them. Against pistols you better use your own weapon and if you are using a shield agains an assault weapon you are dead anyway. So why even taking the risk to get shot because you have your riotshield equipt?

Edited by Wayze

Because it's badass. (I think I'd call mine the Shield of Badassitude)

Edited by Matman
  • Like 1

Riot shields have nothing to do with COD, relax, you're not in the wrong. It's the other way round, COD implements tools that are used in "real life".. If DayZ uses the same same tools, why should DayZ be related to COD? It's just that we're in a real life scenario and riot shields would be a tool that should not be ignored if you find one (in a police station or scattered amongst Police bodies in cities, towns).

(But COD did it! Fuck COD)

I swear, The hate towards COD from DayZ fans will only drag down the opportunity to create a realistic and enjoyable game.

We're only dragging ourselves down by becoming fan-boys.

He meant that Riot Shields in COD are OP, and just make a huge shield of fucking protection

Riot shields? Really? This is what we've been reduced to? Please SA... Be released already.

(DISCLAIMER - I don't think riot shields should have ever been a thing in video games, and believe that they should not be in DayZ unless absolutely constructed by the player and not looted as pristine)

• Like 1

^ Agreed. Some heavy body armour would at least be a little more practical than a riot shield.

Edited by Ombra

Can we stop talking about riot shields please? It's atleast 3-4 pages only about them. Stahp

• Like 1

Can we stop talking about riot shields please? It's atleast 3-4 pages only about them. Stahp

3970769883_bfaf89ef19.jpg

Edited by Recalibar
  • Like 3

Personally I don't care how useful the items around Chernarus are. I hope that the developers make the decisions based on the probability of finding those items in a post-soviet state. Just let the players find out what is useful and what is not.

• Like 4

...exactly...in this case if they implement a prison we should of course find some gear like riot shields and helmets etc...no further discussion needed :P

...exactly...in this case if they implement a prison we should of course find some gear like riot shields and helmets etc...no further discussion needed :P

Btw there should be bulletproof west!