willey.erd@oundleschool.org.uk

DayZ Alpha won't launch until launched !

Well they have already made the decision not to limit the alpha and are going to open it up to everyone instead so obviously they will be expecting a lot more then 50k people and there probably will be issues but that's to be expected.

Edited by SmashT

Well that's why I don't want to promise it will be out on whatever date. If we wake up tomorrow and the build meets our internal milestone requirements, we'll release it. Until such time as we feel it has enough to go out, we won't release it.
Edited by CapricornOne
  • Like 1

That was originally the case. However things have since changed.

I know, and like I said I think it is a huge mistake. In my opinion it's a bit naiv to think he could manage what other expirienced MMO devoloper (arenanet) could not. How will it even run with the servers? Is it like in the mod where everyone has to buy its own?

I know, and like I said I think it is a huge mistake. In my opinion it's a bit naiv to think he could manage what other expirienced MMO devoloper (arenanet) could not. How will it even run with the servers? Is it like in the mod where everyone has to buy its own?

The reality is, that neither you nor I know what will happen. All we can go is trust Dean's judgement and wait it out.

You don't need to be a rocket scientist to know what will happen. First week DayZ SA will be unplayable.

You don't need to be a rocket scientist to know what will happen. First week DayZ SA will be unplayable.

A whole lot of optimism in this one.
  • Like 1

Obviously they will do everything they can to ensure the central server can handle the load but I don't think anyone is expecting there to be no issues with the launch. Rockets been quite open about the fact that there probably will be issues, it's to be expected. Hell, Blizzard can't even manage a smooth launch and they are a huge billion dollar company.

Edited by SmashT
  • Like 3

Obviously they will do everything they can to ensure the central server can handle the load but I don't think anyone is expecting there to be no issues with the launch. Rockets been quite open about the fact that there probably will be issues, it's to be expected. Hell, Blizzard can't even manage a smooth launch and they are a huge billion dollar company.

Yes, but you have to keep in mind that this is no launch, it is just the start of the alpha. And I am pretty sure Blizzard or anyone else this huge hadn't any problems with that, probably because they limited the amount of players.

And like I asked before, is the system with servers the same before? If there are 10-20 servers at the beginning, how will you even manage to get 5000 people on it?

Edited by Wayze

i remember a game named Duke Nukem Forever .. 14 years for a launch .. :D

Edited by Messad
  • Like 1

And like I asked before, is the system with servers the same before? If there are 10-20 servers at the beginning, how will you even manage to get 5000 people on it?

Server files will be available to everyone on release, servers will automatically be automatically approved to connect to the central hive (You won't need to wait/apply for an instance ID and wait for support to whitelist the IP like the mod). They have also made arrangements for surge hosting to bridge the gap between release and people setting their own servers.

Edited by SmashT
  • Like 1

Yes, but you have to keep in mind that this is no launch, it is just the start of the alpha. And I am pretty sure Blizzard or anyone else this huge hadn't any problems with that, probably because they limited the amount of players.

Dear Wayze.

I created account just because of you so you should be proud of that. For you comment "And I am pretty sure Blizzard or anyone else this huge hadn't any problems with that" from which another planet you knew blizzard and others big companny names ? Because in here (Earth) they screwed maerly every pre alpha/ alpha / beta testing. Problem like cannot log in, auto DC after few minutes, server shout down etc. Was on daily bases at least for games where i attended ( Diablo3, World of Warcraft (TBC and up), Marvel Heroes, Guild Wars 2 and more). And regarding your question regarding servers and so on if you are interested and you have read at least some updates regarding server you should knew that it will be different starting with "MMO server" and all itemes related to it.

If i upset you with my comments sorry but this post of yours was a big yoke for me.

i remember a game named Duke Nukem Forever .. 14 years for a launch .. :D

This has taken about 6 months since they decided to actually start from scratch, as opposed to releasing a "mod on steroids" :huh:

Personally, im getting tired of this bs. I understand games take time, i also understand the pressure that goes into these things for company's and people alike, but dont say its coming out in June or in a week. then produce nothing, they always says we need to get alpha out , we need to get alpha out, we need to test the server architecture, we need to get alpha out... they said a week and they said june. It's July and it's been over a week. Key things to matters like these. If you don't know, you don't say.

Dear Wayze.

I created account just because of you so you should be proud of that. For you comment "And I am pretty sure Blizzard or anyone else this huge hadn't any problems with that" from which another planet you knew blizzard and others big companny names ? Because in here (Earth) they screwed maerly every pre alpha/ alpha / beta testing. Problem like cannot log in, auto DC after few minutes, server shout down etc. Was on daily bases at least for games where i attended ( Diablo3, World of Warcraft (TBC and up), Marvel Heroes, Guild Wars 2 and more). And regarding your question regarding servers and so on if you are interested and you have read at least some updates regarding server you should knew that it will be different starting with "MMO server" and all itemes related to it.

If i upset you with my comments sorry but this post of yours was a big yoke for me.

Check your Grammar, mate ;)

Personally, im getting tired of this bs. I understand games take time, i also understand the pressure that goes into these things for company's and people alike, but dont say its coming out in June or in a week. then produce nothing, they always says we need to get alpha out , we need to get alpha out, we need to test the server architecture, we need to get alpha out... they said a week and they said june. It's July and it's been over a week. Key things to matters like these. If you don't know, you don't say.

I don't think we need any more posts from people that don't get the diference between earliest and latest possible Date. And really, i check Steam and this Forum every day to, waiting, but i can get the meaning of "Dayz will not arrive until June" and "We have an release week in eye between 2 Weeks to 2 Months from E3".

Edited by max2k

dont say its coming out in June or in a week. then produce nothing

They didn't say either of those things though :/ Maybe if people stopped and actually listened what was actually said instead of only hearing what they want to hear they wouldn't keep getting disappointed when things that wern't said don't happen.

Edited by SmashT
  • Like 5

In all fairness the whole point of an "alpha" is to sort out bugs within the basic foundation. People that buy into it thinking they'll have hours upon hours of fun with it day one are deluded. In reality it'll more than likely be hours upon hours of frustration, whilst communicating respectfully via the forums/bug tracker/etc. In other words - there's no point in bitching if it doesn't play how you want it or how you expect it to be; we'll only get to that point with feedback and patience.

I perfectly understand the implications of an alpha. I was just saying 'hope' because I hope that it will be ready in time. If not I'll deal with it, and still play the game as an alpha and submit bugs.

Edit: Also the way you were using you made me feel a bit like you were personally attacking me not sure if that was the intention or not.

Edited by Rarabka233

Edit: Also the way you were using you made me feel a bit like you were personally attacking me not sure if that was the intention or not.

Sorry mate, didn't mean it like that at all. Just underlining that fact that a lot of people have varying levels of expectations for the release. Most of them will not be met.

• Like 1

Sorry mate, didn't mean it like that at all. Just underlining that fact that a lot of people have varying levels of expectations for the release. Most of them will not be met.

As long as I get a chance to enjoy looking at the improved map I'll be happy, everything else is a bonus. :)

• Like 1

that is exactly what i was trying to say. couldn't have said it any better.

They didn't say either of those things though :/ Maybe if people stopped and actually listened what was actually said instead of only hearing what they want to hear they wouldn't keep getting disappointed when things that wern't said don't happen.

In some people's defense, there's been a couple of articles in the past week or so that strongly hint 'possible' release dates from what was said. Just kind of gets peoples' hopes up, then crushes them like a soda can in a car compressor. The crushed souls then come here to haunt us, only until they can be put to rest by the truth. From there, they spend the rest of their time in entertainment purgatory, until the key is handed to them... The Alpha Key.

I have no idea where I was going with that. But yeah, I kind of blame the Google news article thing.

• Like 2

Dear Wayze.

Maybe, but that was not the point. So even Blizzard is not capable of launching an alpha without problems, and Dean thinks he will just do it like that?

But ok, let's say everything goes well, the biggest problem is still there:

Dean wants to get feedback from the hardcore players, but how should he manage this if the alpha will be played by hundred of thousands, maybe millions?

And why is he doing this, if 50% of the potential buyers will buy the alpha Dean would make much loss (in terms on money).

I just don't understand him...

"Ive developed a game and Ive decided it's day for release will be Thursday, which Thursday of which week, month and year is somethings I'd like to keep private though." --TodaysDevelopersHintingReleaseDates.

You know we wouldn't really have these issues if rocket or anyone else of the core staff actually updated their tumblr page or posted somethings on their twitter.

Look I don't even want to see the alpha in the steam marketplace until I can get a TF2 hat, and a special collector's edition that lets me spawn with a revolver that has it's gunshot sounds replaced with the demoman going "KaBEEEEEEEEEEWM". The revolver itself also has to have its serial number replaced with Gabe Newell's signature.