willey.erd@oundleschool.org.uk

DayZ Alpha won't launch until launched !

There hasnt exactly been a list, but rocket and his team has been giving hints of when it might be out. I would dig up sources but given the fact that Im laying in bed, miles away from any computer, simply on my phone - that wont happen.

Am I upset I have to wait until June? Yes.

Am I upset they are taking more time to fix things before it's alpha release? Hell no!

I was worried that the game would just suddenly appear on Steam at any moment as the only release date info I could find online said either late 2012 or first quarter 2013. And I was kinda afraid to ask about that on this forum as the subject seemed to be taboo.

I'm happy we got this news. AND this is good news! Especially after the War Z fiasco. With zombie popularity rising (heh heh) I could see a game developer rushing a game out and fixing the bugs later (if ever). Mr. Hall has proven to me and to the rest of the gaming world that he actually gives a crap about the game he is putting out, and also the gaming community that follows him.

Lets face it, 99% of game makers are only motivated to make a quick buck. And seeing a developer take their time rather then make a quick buck is rare. Good for you DayZ devs! We who are about to die salute you!

There hasnt exactly been a list, but rocket and his team has been giving hints of when it might be out. I would dig up sources but given the fact that Im laying in bed, miles away from any computer, simply on my phone - that wont happen.

Your sources would be random people guessing and making assumptions and then other people quoting those guesses as facts. 'Tis the lifeblood of forums. There was one release date, December. Communication from the devs over Xmas about missing that date was shite but as explained since the whole project has shifted from a polished mod to a new game.

Now I agree that hearing news like the article in this topic via third-party sources is rubbish. Statements like that should be made first and foremost to the community backing the project, us, ideally on these official forums.

Regarding release dates, the only official news this year is in the devblogs plus a few comments here and on Reddit. None of those said anything about April or anything else, that was people guessing.

• Like 2

wont be released in june worst time in gaming. so ill sit back and laugh for now

why would you release during worst sales period for video games ? you dont.

Because Dean wants to make a good game, not just make money.

• Like 2

People moan and cry and all that stuff, I wonder how many of them have actually been involved in game development of this magnitude, even something as simple as a 2D sidescroll game can take many months to get to point or getting it properly field tested.

It will be out when it is out, just be patient, and if you cannot be, then go, your loss our gain because we do not hear you continuing to whine, there will be thousands of others who will happily take your Alpha key when its released.

To add onto the idea that June is a bad release time I will remind everyone that DayZ mod popularity skyrocketed during the summer months in 2012 by word of mouth. It will be released as an Alpha and will gain steam most likely through merit and a small marketing budget, it is not Call of Battlefield 11 after all. Hopefully Dean is smart enough to know putting a date out into the wind and not meeting it a second time would be bad business though, a small delay is not much but pushing it back to the fourth quarter of 2013 would kill the momentum of the project and leave a bad taste for those supporting the game. Plus it would go against the major releases for that same period, I might not like CoD but I love Battlefield and would hate to split time.

At least now I can stop waiting patiently for the closed test to start and move on to other games for awhile without thinking it will start imminently.

Again, I just want to say, NOWHERE in the article does it say that it's coming out in June... it just won't come out before then. So everyone who says it's coming out in June is wrong and Rocket won't be lying if it comes out later. Just saying...

• Like 4

Again, I just want to say, NOWHERE in the article does it say that it's coming out in June... it just won't come out before then. So everyone who says it's coming out in June is wrong and Rocket won't be lying if it comes out later. Just saying...

It is never lying to push a release date, he just should not even say a month if he is unsure. He has been down this road before and knows first hand it leads to butthurt, so if he is not confident he should just keep saying hopefully this year and leave it at that.

• Like 1

I'm sure he's trying to avoid pushing it out and having it flop like... Dare I say it? WarZ!!! Let's not complain about the time it's taking to make this game. He wants to give us a solid game and not a broken one so ease off. But haters are going to hate... *ponders if 4chan has room for you guys to troll*

"DayZ alpha keys will go live in batches, possibly 50,000 at a time, and Hall is looking at a possible Kickstarter-inspired distribution model, where players would pay certain amounts to opt into the alpha and snag other goodies, in tiers."

So when it does come out and only up to 50,000 keys are released, will he post it here first on the official forums, so that all of us that follow can get first dibs. Or will it be some random person posting here saying that he just put out on his Facebook and reddit yesterday that the game is out, and all the keys are bought up. :( :( :( It might be that I'm a lazy Internet user but I only check here and the official website for info about DAYz standalone. I think I might join the reddit cult so I can check there too, but that place scares me.

• Like 8

I think BIS (my genius opinion) will want Arma 3 to sell therefore they won't release DayZ standalone so close to the official release of Arma 3..

We must remember that Rocket is still under BIS and he is just doing what he is told so I'm speculating alpha would be playable by... October-ish?

These are just my two cents on the subject. :P

It might be that I'm a lazy Internet user but I only check here and the official website for info about DAYz standalone. I think I might join the reddit cult so I can check there too

Official forums must stand for something, I also hate the other places who seem to take presedence over the Official forums.

there will be some compromise however, not everyone can handle the heat in the Forums. If it is a Kickstarter then the DayZgame.com site will have all that info on anyway, missing us out again as per.

• Like 1

Whoever whines about Dean being unprofessional going to Everest before releasing is a bit selfish imo. Like most of us, you're probably dreaming of playing SA just as Dean dreams of climbing that mountain and you're telling him to shove his so you can live out yours?

And comparing the two, which do you deem more impressive, playing a computer-game or some real life-or-death action?

Plus, his last paragraph from that interview basically summed it up, once the client-server architecture works they'll put out what they have now. It would have been nice if it was posted on the forums here before ending up in an interview but as long as word gets around, I don't really care.

I wish him all the best and hope he comes back in one piece :)

• Like 1

my two cents on the matter, i don't care when its released my problem is the fact that as many people have already said no f***er tells us whats going on we have to hear from reddit, twitter and fucking joystiq. This is the DAYZ official forum why the hell isnt it posted on here,

@rocket be more active on your own forum we are the people that are the true die hard fans of the game we should be the first to hear any information. If there is none then thats fine (again we are not entitled to a dev report) but don't go to other sources its bang out of order. As for Everest go have a good time its a once in a life time opportunity.

• Like 7

rather wait two years, and playing one incredibly game, expect less than playing a game poorly done, worse than the actual mod

observation (I think stant alone will get a bit overshadowed by the graphics in arma 3 except that the trees of Chernarus are the most beautiful ^. ^)

DayZ alpha keys will go live in batches, possibly 50,000 at a time, and Hall is looking at a possible Kickstarter-inspired distribution model, where players would pay certain amounts to opt into the alpha and snag other goodies, in tiers.

Hmm does he mean releasing keys in batches for the open alpha?

Damn, one gotta be fast at the trigger to get a copy then :( You could end up waiting weeks to participate if your really unlucky perhaps.

Im not much for the whole "tier goodies" on kickstarter, they should do it exactly like Arma III in my opinion.

Ohh well, rather this then a "diablo III" look-a-like release -_-

Edited by Byrgesen

Wrong thread.

It's scheduled for 3.30pm which I think is 19.30 GMT

Edited by smasht_AU
  • Like 1

a small piece of me died while reading this news

gonna go eat some beans and regen

You'll regen a lot faster if you eat a bunny.

They're in season too.

• Like 2

Who would have thought, Rockets first target release date is going to be met after all. He only said december, didn't mention what year..

• Like 1

The SA will never be released. It will join the list of those much awaited but never completed projects that litter the battlefield of game development.

LOL, the joke's on us. I sure hope Rocket enjoys his life-changing vacation.