mattlightfoot

DayZ Developer Blog 8th March

I'm not too worried about the SimCity and Diablo III issues for DayZ because those games [correct me if I'm wrong] didn't have an alpha release. Meaning people assumed everything to be polished and trouble-free when they purchased it. Whereas if the servers suck for DayZ in the beginning, I don't think too many people will care, well, the dedicated fans won't. Anyone remember when it used to take 45 min to get in a server for DayZ mod? lol

• Like 3

what many dont understand is video games are a business first . you will be told whatever is needed in order to help make the sales period succesful. its marketing .

Although that goes for most companies, I think BI is somewhat different - not that they don't like money but it doesn't seem to be their priority

-None of their games is for crowds=money, like or hate thing, if they would be about money they would go the CoD way a long time ago

-they made so much $$$ from dayz already that they can afford to delay dayz SA

and than there is this recent commebnt by Rocket on Reddit, doesn't look like "all about the money" to me...

I take the point, but the chances of us getting someone to do this are non-existent. They would need to be local, like at the studio. We've got too many externals as it is and it is soaking up the vast majority of my time trying to keep everyone reviewed and on track who is external.

I'm going to use the video blogs as a chance for me to learn how hard it is to produce video content, so that one day when I grow up and start my own studio - I'll know what I want when I get a video editor to do something. When I was training as an infantry officer, I had a rule that I would never get someone to do something that I wasn't prepared to do myself.

My comment about EA is not that they are bad, but that they are big. I don't want to run a large project at bohemia because it is an another country, speaking another language. I have a hard enough time as it is, it's like cooking in someone elses kitchen. They don't do things how I would do them, because the culture is different. I don't understand things and I would want to do everything my way - not because its better but because that's my culture. I'm bad enough as it is, just ask Matt. If I had to run a 100 person project in a company where I don't speak the language - when I haven't had any time to even stop to do any planning... I think I'd turn up at work one day with a grenade or something rammed in my ass.

I'm sure that if we go out and say "hey, can someone do the devblogs?" someone is going to put their hand up. Actually, I have several friends who could do it - but that adds two or three days to the process. And then the time needs to be taken to brief them on what I want, which I can't necessarily explain very well.

I am also, frankly, tired of dealing with external people. This is not LA. Just ask my agent about this! I think people forget this, a lot. This is the czech republic, full of many talented people - but there is a cultural and a language barrier. The devblogs are not for marketing, the only aims they achieve for us are, in order of priority:

1. For the team to have fun and blow off steam
  2. A sneaky chance for me to show some bugs I want fixed ASAP, and blackmail the team into fixing them by them knowing I will make them public
  3. To show people who we are, that we're not perfect, but that we're having fun
  4. For me to learn a bit about video editing to help me manage content producers when I start my own studio.
  5. To demonstrate the current status of the build.

So yes, I get your point - and I will commit to spending a bit more time and not produce something so low quality next time - as it does appear that some people are quite disapointed by it (and I think they have a point).

But I do think you and me, and the others who have an issue with it - I just don't think we're even on the same planet in terms of what we value. DayZ is just one big experiment to me, I'm experimenting because nobody, and I mean nobody gets carte blanche authority to do whatever they want. I imagine few people in the video game industry have ever received such a loose contract as I have. That's why I went with Bohemia, because not only did they accept me having complete creative control... they encouraged it. The CEO, Marek, encourages me to experiment and make mistakes.

I watched some interviews about Louise CK about his "louie" TV show, and I thought - yeah I get that. I turned down some incredible offers because while the money is good, I wanted complete creative freedom. Absolute. That's what Bohemia gave me, and I'm using that to learn and make mistakes.

I'm not the guy you hire to make a safe project. I'm just not that guy, I never have been. The Air Force knew it, the Army knew it - they used me on projects that needed my mix of good and bad traits. So I'm going to make plenty of mistakes, and yeah, this devblog probably was one of those. But I'm glad I did it, and I've learned some things. It's inspired me to make a better effort with the next one, and it's taught me the difficulties of making content delivery - and I think that will make me a better leader when it comes to making my own studio one day.

It is wishful thinking on my Part, I know, but I honestly believe BI is not all about the money.

• Like 1

It will be released when it's done. It's really as simple as that.

edit : So now, back on topic I guess :)

Anyone thought the green jeans in the video were kind of weird? you don't see that very often... I'd rather see baggy pants, camo stuff, and more sport clothing.

But hey Rocket did mention "hundreds of items", so I can't wait to see more

Edited by Bat

Anyone remember when it used to take 45 min to get in a server for DayZ mod? lol

I remember when it was impossible to get in at all. :) Oh, those enterpunching weekends...

• Like 4

I wonder if the alpha will be released before he goes to Mount Everest.

It'd be nice to know if there's even a remote possibility of that happening-- but I think we can all appreciate him not giving us a release date until the time is right.

He leaves for Everest at the beginning of April and should be back beginning of June. Not sure where you are getting six months from.

I hope he knows what he is doing. The fatality rate would be completely unacceptable for me.

One Death for Every 10 Ascents

An analysis of the 212 deaths that happened during the 86-year period from 1921 to 2006 indicates some interesting facts. Most deaths-192-occurred above Base Camp, where the technical climbing begins. The overall mortality rate was 1.3 percent, with the rate for climbers (mostly non-natives) at 1.6 percent and the rate for Sherpas, natives of the region and usually acclimatized to high elevations, at 1.1 percent. The annual death rate is remarkably unchanged over the history of climbing on Mount Everest. One death occurs for every ten successful ascents--a significant number of climbers who reach the summit die on their descent. Most climbers who die on Everest are generally physically fit and in the prime of their life between the ages of 30 and 50.

Edited by ZlobaRUS54

its not about speculation its about money and when you utilize to get the most units sold. you do not miss these periods of sales

easter is a big sales period next isnt till near christmas ! this is why you never see big games released in summer for eg as everyone is breathing fresh air while its nice lolol

but i am not sure if you can apply these "important periods of sales" on the Mincraft-model...it starts with "little" content and is therefore cheaper and then by the time you get better/more content and the game gets more expansive at some point...

and i think this second point in time is more important.

Edited by joe_mcentire

no i got the everest thing wrong absolute bollocks = no

the game has to be out in either alpha public release build for easter or retail during the hot cristmas sales period late november / december.

what many dont understand is video games are a business first . you will be told whatever is needed in order to help make the sales period succesful. its marketing .

no person in this industry has no times cale that is bollocks. every product has a timeline a time of optimum sale. denying this is being idiotic.

rocket is going away as he has said april first or for april first so are they going to not be advised by him or stop production while hes gone?

are they not going to release for april first ? one of the key periods of games sales ! next one is in november and why call of duty always starts in that period.

so the launch is keyed to a key games sales period. the state of the game and time of aluch will be tied.

so if its to be april its a early alpha buiild for public if its november december its probably a retail or whatever higher priced release. will be quite frankly stunned if its not until then as alot of intrest will of been lost if its not until christmas hot period .

infact ill actually challenge rocket is the alpha build for dayz out before april first like i say it is or you waiting till oct 31st onwards during the cristmas hot period?

its one of those two periods. simple as.

I see you completely ignored my post. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Hi I'm back from Muffin land.

When the Mods are testing, It will not be long after before release.

In my humble opinion anyway! Development is going to go on for a while after release as we know, a few issues so long as they are not gamebreakers, should be fine before Rocket goes to that small hill camping male bonding place hes off to (Poor Matt, whats he gonna do?).

One thing I was thinking about today was the batch release of copies released via rockets plan, hows that gonna work? If 800.000 copies get sold on Steam, how can he control batches? Surely there will be a shortage of servers for such numbers (Make no mistake, anyone in the know, know's about a DayZ SA coming soon)

things are gonna get interesting around here.

I think the new ones are fine, they could just do with a little more polish.

I appreciate that Rocket and Matt are super busy and don't have much time for this but I'm sure others would be willing to help out...

I actually like the Rocky and Mattwinkle show. If anything, they should strive to make the next video even more amateurish. Crank that up to 11 for hilarity. Dropping cameras, fire trucks going by in the background, barely audible voices, the works.

• Like 7

I actually like the Rocky and Mattwinkle show. If anything, they should strive to make the next video even more amateurish. Crank that up to 11 for hilarity. Dropping cameras, fire trucks going by in the background, barely audible voices, the works.

Finally, a voice of reason :rolleyes:

I'm quite new to the pc world and I was telling my better half last night that the DayZ thing reminds me of independant music companies, that whole 'fuck the man' thing inspired by punk rock. She was asking me why I'm spending so much time lately in the DayZ universe.

So 'amateurish' doesn't put me off, it's more human, just makes me nostalgic for an age that never existed...

• Like 3

Does anyone know who composed the game over soundtrack for dayz??

• Like 2

but i am not sure if you can apply these "important periods of sales" on the Mincraft-model...it starts with "little" content and is therefore cheaper and then by the time you get better/more content and the game gets more expansive at some point...

and i think this second point in time is more important.

it applies to all games :o

they still launch in those periods of good spending regardless. why do you think it was december before ?

wont say anymore on it as it will be alpha build before april first or not out for 6 months after ocotober -christmas when next big sales period is.

IN a perfect world, the next devblog will be a skillfully edited combination of Rocket filming the inside of a lens-cap and Matt filming the inside of his pocket on his phone.
  • Like 2

it applies to all games :o

they still launch in those periods of good spending regardless. why do you think it was december before ?

wont say anymore on it as it will be alpha build before april first or not out for 6 months after ocotober -christmas when next big sales period is.

Minecraft released public alpha on May 17th, so where's your theory now?

Regardless of "good sales-periods" DayZ has a MASSIVE fanbase, which will pretty much ensure its success (as a product) no matter what.

We'll get it when the boss decides it's ready.

• Like 6

Regardless of "good sales-periods" DayZ has a MASSIVE fanbase, which will pretty much ensure its success (as a product) no matter what.

We'll get it when the boss decides it's ready.

This.

I think pretty much everyone that's planning on buying DayZ would buy it regardless of the month it releases in.

• Like 1

Hello there

Guessing from Rocket's past actions and ways of doing things (bear in mind I've had almost zero interaction with the chap) I would think that standard release times (other than possibly Xmas time) are of little concern. I'm sure he is aware of them but doubt he would rush anything to hit that specific timescale.

Rgds

LoK

Edited by orlok
missing letters

This.

I think pretty much everyone that's planning on buying DayZ would buy it regardless of the month it releases in.

No I'll buy it only during the hot sales month decided by coca cola company and EA. If Dean dares release the SA before november, or after april. or any other non-hot-sales-month, then screw dayz, I'll buy warz.

• Like 5

No I'll buy it only during the hot sales month decided by coca cola company and EA. If Dean dares release the SA before november, or after april. or any other non-hot-sales-month, then screw dayz, I'll buy warz.

I hate to say it, but i got Bat's back here, man... may the beans be with you dawg.

Edited by codestargod

I meant the paid for keys when people purchase. It was ages ago so you can ignore me really but they said something about releasing the keys in batches of *insert number* thousands (?) to stop the servers being raped.

*burps in your face*

You always ruin the moment, this is why we can't have nice things.

• Like 1