mattlightfoot

DayZ Developer Blog 8th March

Your sarcastic post was ninja'd, Fraggy baby.

Remember that...

• Like 2

Lol, that wasn't sarcasm, just fact. Anyhoo, I'm in a shite mood today so I'm off before I upset someone.

• Like 1

can someone post a link to the dayz dev tumblr plz

google.com... dayz tumblr.

Edit- Jesus, by the time I posted this, your question was answered and we were already talking about something else.

Edited by twinturbonet
  • Like 3

As I said it's a tad more than tweaking a map. Anyoo, let's face it none of us really have a clue how long it would take.

I blame Rocket for this by making us wait for the next devblog for too long, we know he's a perfectionist when it comes to the devblogs so I'm sure the next one will be release in 3d.

none of us have real clue im curently testing a map doing what we speak of :lol: . dat hyperbole man its a killer.

its not just a white everything, you have new textures , new sounds to add , is it snowing ? then you got the snow whether features to tweak , oh while you doing that its darker in winter lighting next :lol: see what im saying .

you have to tweak one thing then that means something else needs to be tweaked fixed then that relates to something else. nothing is a quick fix ! 3-6 months minimum.

• Like 2

Lol, that wasn't sarcasm, just fact. Anyhoo, I'm in a shite mood today so I'm off before I upset someone.

Someone needs needs hugzors! B)

• Like 2

Did everyone else notice that the F5 posts are gone? :) Usually they would start from the morning and until the blog is posted :P

• Like 1

So a devblog today? Please? Pretty please? :P Just a small one and I'll be content!

• Like 3

What so you want to just retex the map?

If you want it to look cheap and crap, then by all means.

You still have to build new models for bare trees and snow drifts or you just have a white Chernarus with some autumn trees on there.

As for:

Even if it does has "over a million objects" (which it does NOT, not even nearly...)
I don't know where you get your information but this is from the BI Wiki:

• Chernarus is based on actual real world data
  • Chernarus is 225 km2 in size
  • Almost 100km2 of Chernarus is covered by forest
  • Chernarus has 350 kilometers of roads
  • There are a total of 50 towns and villages across Chernarus
  • Chernarus has three airfields (1 big and 2 small)
  • 1 million 3d objects
  • Hilly rural landscape with rocky coastline
  • Living environment including civilian population and wildlife

Source: http://community.bis.../wiki/Chernarus

If it was that easy, they would have done it already. Stop making out things like this are easy when they are not.

• Like 2

I just can't wait to see more and then finally get my hands on the finished product

I'm just really hope it comes out at the start of a month, since that is when I'm most likely to have any money.

• Like 1

Being a programmer just means you're a programmer, nothing else.

Uhm. Very good.

If that is an attempt to insult me, it's not very successful because I'm not a programmer, although programming is a very basic task that about anyone I know is rather good at.

• Like 1

Cant Wait for a Dev Blog today, It would be a real let down if we had to wait a whole week to get another.

• Like 1

What so you want to just retex the map?

If you want it to look cheap and crap, then by all means.

You still have to build new models for bare trees and snow drifts or you just have a white Chernarus with some autumn trees on there.

As for: I don't know where you get your information but this is from the BI Wiki:

• Chernarus is based on actual real world data
  • Chernarus is 225 km2 in size
  • Almost 100km2 of Chernarus is covered by forest
  • Chernarus has 350 kilometers of roads
  • There are a total of 50 towns and villages across Chernarus
  • Chernarus has three airfields (1 big and 2 small)
  • 1 million 3d objects
  • Hilly rural landscape with rocky coastline
  • Living environment including civilian population and wildlife

Source: http://community.bis.../wiki/Chernarus

If it was that easy, they would have done it already. Stop making out things like this are easy when they are not.

First of all, bare trees are not modeled. They are textured. The tree/bush branches/leaves are 2D textures on simple rectangular planes.

Second - Well, to be honest, I am surprised that it got over 1 million 3D models. BUT, a HUGE chunk out of those 1 million objects are the trees.

In fact, I am pretty sure if you would take out all of the trees, the map would contain less than 100,000 models. It is one single tree that is duplicated like 50,000+ and there are like 10-15 tree models. Mind you - some of them are different in size (scale) but it is still the same model with the same texture. So NO. Should not take more than half a year of work.

Edited by osallivan
  • Like 1

Look, I said 2 years as frankly I really don't know. I'm just pulling that number out of my arse the same as you are with your six months figure.

The fact is; it would be a massive undertaking and I wouldn't like to be the fucker who has to sit down and do all of that work (and then playtest it for bugs etc). BIS have had nearly 4 years to re-tex Chernarus, but they haven't. The most I've seen is a retex for the summer and some satmask images for alternative ground textures. And that's from modders, not BI.

There's posts like yours all over the forums asking for winter Chernarus. Yes it would be excellent, but this is the devblog thread and I don't know why people are clogging it up it with requests for winter retextures.

Can't you post this in suggestions or something?

• Like 1

Look, I said 2 years as frankly I really don't know. I'm just pulling that number out of my arse the same as you are with your six months figure.

The fact is; it would be a massive undertaking and I wouldn't like to be the fucker who has to sit down and do all of that work (and then playtest it for bugs etc). BIS have had nearly 4 years to re-tex Chernarus, but they haven't. The most I've seen is a retex for the summer and some satmask images for alternative ground textures. And that's from modders, not BI.

There's posts like yours all over the forums asking for winter Chernarus. Yes it would be excellent, but this is the devblog thread and I don't know why people are clogging it up it with requests for winter retextures.

Can't you post this in suggestions or something?

Hey wait a minute. I am not asking for anything. It wasn't even me who started that winter thing topic. I am arguing your "fact". Who said it is a fact that it would be a massive undertaking? Also, I am not pulling that out of my aRss. Being a game dev student I have an understanding on how much can be done in 6 months with a professional team of artists and developers. As for the "million objects" - I told you, it surprised me. But when I think of it now, it's just the massive amount of trees which makes this number so large.

Edited by osallivan
  • Like 1

Cant Wait for a Dev Blog today, It would be a real let down if we had to wait a whole week to get another.

Rocket is going to USA next week(tuesday or wednesday) so i think we are going to see devblog today.

Edited by drouz
  • Like 1

Uhm. Very good.

If that is an attempt to insult me, it's not very successful because I'm not a programmer, although programming is a very basic task that about anyone I know is rather good at.

Nope, not aimed at you at all. I was making a point that being a programmer doesn't mean you can make a game (at least a good one) as I said in my post, although I do know some professional programmers that would be offended seeing it described as a basic task.

It's the same reason programmers hire web-designers, they need someone that understands the principles of good design.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 2

Fuck beans.

There's no need to be arguing over whether or not making an existing map into a winter map would be a big job or not.

The simple fact is there are far more important things for the art guys to be working on right now.

New weapon, clothing and item models and textures take priority. Then, of course, there will be zombies and vehicles to deal with.

You also don't seem to be considering the fact that the map is already being reworked, into Chernarus+.

Changing seasons would be cool, but it would make more sense to have that accounted for whenever the time comes for the team to create a NEW map.

EDIT:

That's not an angry post BTW.

Imagine it in my "sit you down and explain" voice. :P

Edited by Chabowski
  • Like 5

Hmmm, usually by this time we have a hint that ones on the way. Hmmmm.

• Like 3