mattlightfoot

DayZ Developer Blog 8th March

Not sure if anyone asked this question or pushed hard on the topic but, Will zombies be a real threat in the SA?. I know in the mod its just a pvp survival game really with zombies in the background just being there for the most part. I think zombies should be the biggest threat so your less likely to waste bullets on a fresh spawn and more likely to work together so that it requires a group effort to loot a town.

The only real threat you can really feel in a game like this is the intimidation provided by a human player. AI is not that smart to hunt you down and out smart you the way a human can. Zombies are supposed to be intimidating in a frightening way, that's the whole point of an apocalypse, they provide pressure now as opposed to the main intimidation like the first days of Dayz you played. The reality is that zombies just become an annoyance once you are familiarized with them. Happens in movies, series(TWD) and games. There is nothing you can do about it but make them just impossible, which in turn will make people rage quit and destroy the game.

Rocket, check it out... you can get even with this noob by implementing my idea in my last post.. bet it will piss him off real good. :D

Who you calling a noob, noob?

Edited by infi
  • Like 1

Now there's a bit of eff'ed up logic for you...

Care to explain?

Its very obvious there are several things the dev team feels the need to keep secret. Which is obviously why these video's and devblogs aren't always glitz and glam. No doubt, Concerned for having more of their idea's copied. More importantly The last thing this game needs is to be accused of trying to copy another game, let alone BAD mechanics from those games...

(Edit) The Idea you suggested is still dumb, just in case we strayed from that.

Edited by Charb

...Who you calling a noob, noob?

I was talkin' 'bout Miffy, ya noob.

Edited by codestargod

Care to explain?

Your eff'ed up logic was when you implied that an idea is bad simply because someone who made a bad game, implemented the stated idea aswell. The idea could very well be a very good idea, dressed in bad wolf's clothing.

Edited by codestargod

Your eff'ed up logic was when you implied that an idea is bad simply because someone who made a bad game, implemented the stated idea aswell. The idea could very well be a very good idea, dressed in bad wolf's clothing.

It's a bad idea, and you should feel bad for ever coming up with it.

• Like 1

What makes reddit/forum moderators or even those other testers to be better at testing than youtubers?

Not much really imo, depends on the individual. There is no reason someone who makes good videos wouldn't also be good at submitting thorough, actionable bug reports. I'm sure when there is some actual gameplay implemented they will be invited.

Edited by smasht_AU
  • Like 1

I think the point was that there's no inherent reason a forum moderator or youtuber would be better or worse at testing

(and I'm just making a broad statement, so don't bother getting into your personal beta testing resume)

My point was simply Experience is more valuable than Potential.

Moreso if you need good results reasonably fast.

I'm not a tester by trade, just a logician who understands a bit of how things work IRL.

EDIT:

To be honest, I don't think I'd like to have DayZ as a proper, professional, testing assignment.

Once you've HAD to spend hours a day trying to break specific game-mechanics, you'd spoil the final product for yourself.

Edited by Chabowski

I get plenty of advice, I actively pursue it by reading the forums and on reddit. But the thing about advice, is that it is given for the receive to choose to accept it or not. I was explaining the reasons why I felt that the points he was making didn't really fit at all with the type of game I wanted to make.

Sorry if i came across like a asshat mate lol

I really like the work you have done and quite frankly its a breath of fresh air playing dayz but i do think some things need to be handled differently.

Thanks for the reply though mate

Cheers

:)

I think the point was that there's no inherent reason a forum moderator or youtuber would be better or worse at testing

(and I'm just making a broad statement, so don't bother getting into your personal beta testing resume)

True enough, but to assume a Youtuber would give more interesting content on a dev blog is an assumption as well.

The only real threat you can really feel in a game like this is the intimidation provided by a human player. AI is not that smart to hunt you down and out smart you the way a human can. Zombies are supposed to be intimidating in a frightening way, that's the whole point of an apocalypse, they provide pressure now as opposed to the main intimidation like the first days of Dayz you played. The reality is that zombies just become an annoyance once you are familiarized with them. Happens in movies, series(TWD) and games. There is nothing you can do about it but make them just impossible, which in turn will make people rage quit and destroy the game.

qft

Edited by -Leon-

lol the bottom line is a "tester" is a "tester", you don't need a degree to provide input.

Care to explain?

Its very obvious there are several things the dev team feels the need to keep secret. Which is obviously why these video's and devblogs aren't always glitz and glam. No doubt, Concerned for having more of their idea's copied. More importantly The last thing this game needs is to be accused of trying to copy another game, let alone BAD mechanics from those games...

(Edit) The Idea you suggested is still dumb, just in case we strayed from that.

Copied by who? Isnt WarZ a complete and total flop anyway?

From the look of things , I doubt they will get it out by Q1. Most probably I'm going to go with Q2. Fantastic work so far having to build up a new engine and what not. Perhaps once you have done with the internal alpha , maybe you could make a public test release ?

• Like 1

Any possibility for zombies having a chance of breaking their leg when chasing you over time, or a chance of them falling off a ladder while going up/down them?

Here's a thought...

To add to the imbedded cruelty that is life in DayZ, it should be that if a player dies, then he cannot use the same name for a certain number of life cycles after death.

This will force him/her to invent an entirely new character.

Rocket, you can thank me for that brilliant idea in your own time.

As long as we can loot our own dead bodies and place tents full of gear on several servers the name of our char shouldn't be something we have to care about.

Edited by Private Evans

at the very end of the video Rocket says that "they are very excited about what's coming in a... weeks" :rolleyes: hmmm...

From the look of things , I doubt they will get it out by Q1. Most probably I'm going to go with Q2. Fantastic work so far having to build up a new engine and what not. Perhaps once you have done with the internal alpha , maybe you could make a public test release ?

They are, it's releasing in alpha.

Hello!

Just wondering, Rocket, Will we be able to gauge the time the pooped out tin cans have been lying there? Not with an option to check it or anything like that, but only with looking at it.

Say if the paper on the outside is worn, ripped or not there completely! This would be a cool mechanic so you could see which ones "posed a threat" and which have been sitting there for eons.

Cheers :P

Edited by Zarniwoop
  • Like 1

Hello!

Just wondering, Rocket, Will we be able to gauge the time the pooped out tin cans have been lying there? Not with an option to check it or anything like that, but only with looking at it.

Say if the paper on the outside is worn, ripped or not there completely! This would be a cool mechanic so you could see which ones "posed a threat" and which have been sitting there for eons.

Cheers :P

That's a cool idea but what if the can (ripped paper ect) deteriorated before the can was used?

• Like 1

That's a cool idea but what if the can (ripped paper ect) deteriorated before the can was used?

Would add to the tension of the moment :P You got a point though.

PS: please dont kill me that i started something on cans... XD

Edited by Zarniwoop

Would add to the tension of the moment :P You got a point though.

PS: please dont kill me that i started something on cans... XD

Lol I won't. No I get your point though.

Yeah, I don't know about other people. But capturing on fraps halves my framerate. There is a capture card on the machine, just need to figure out how to use it.

I have a laptop and i can make fraps draw only 2-5 fps, i think it has something to do with where your captured files go. If i record in the wrong folder my fps halves to, i'm not sure but i guess you are going to have to test what works best.

As long as we can loot our own dead bodies and place tents full of gear on several servers the name of our char shouldn't be something we have to care about.

Of course. Why couldn't you do this? than is, if you get to your body on time before someone else loots it.

Also, (and this is provided that it is even possible) if you are bitten by a zombie and become infected, then I think it would be cool if you'd lose total control over your character, and could eventually come across it in the future in a zombie state (temporarily). That would be some freaky shit.

Edited by codestargod