mattlightfoot

DayZ Developer Blog 8th March

I get the impression Rocket's a grump and Matt is his customer facing conduit.

They keep Dean in that MC outfit in a lecter-esque holding cell and he churns out bit of scribbled code and ideas on soft paper with crayons for the devs to type in.

This is what they told me on a recent visit.

Do not touch Rocket. Do not approach Rocket. Do not look directly at or try to make eye contact with Rocket. You pass him nothing but soft paper - no pencils or pens. No staples or paperclips in his paper. Use the sliding food carrier, no exceptions. If he attempts to pass you anything, do not accept it. Do you understand me?
  • Like 4

That's exactly what the devblog just explained in detail that they are doing :/ . It had arrows and everything.

I don't know if i missed that but all I heard was 'simpler pathfinding' and 'closer to you'. So I just thought I'd suggest a little more detail, and because I saw in the video that the zed was still ON the path(when it was stuck behind the object and rocket was a good few meters away you can see it followed the arrows where rocket treaded) even on the after section of the video.

I don't know if i missed that but all I heard was 'simpler pathfinding' and 'closer to you'. So I just thought I'd suggest a little more detail, and because I saw in the video that the zed was still ON the path(when it was stuck behind the object and rocket was a good few meters away you can see it followed the arrows where rocket treaded) even on the after section of the video.

Watch it again.

when you work with someone close a lot of the time, you get irritated by the simplest of things, you can hear the cogs turning when hes telling Matt to (in laymans terms) to shut it.

Occupational hazard when you work close. It is like a marriage.

Not impressed, I don't understand the format of it but ok........... just didn't really show anything and everyone was awkward on it.

Please for the love of god, turn off motion blur and post processing, it just makes everything look like crap. ARMA 3 does it too be default and I don't understand why, I'm not liking HDR though, I wish I could turn it off in ARMA 3 because it gives everything this haze to it.

I don't want zombies to move faster or follow you faster either, the problem with them right now is they aren't fun to fight. Like they glitch out all over the place, their animations suck and all the time I go "fuck sake I aggro'd" and I often wonder why. Like the way they spot or hear you seems rather random right now. I'd rather a more gamey system like MGS guards or something, that was it would be predictable. It isn't fun to aggro either, you have to drag them into a building to slow them down otherwise they're impossible to hit. I'd rather Slower zombies but just having more of them and more ways to kill them with fun items like Dead Rising or something.

I just dunno what is taking so long to release it, I feel like the hype is going down and you've missed the window a bit. I'm fine with buying what you have now and getting updates released like how Dayz used to be. If you're up front and honest that people are buying an alpha then there can be no complaints.

If it ends up being released at the end of the year or something, I'll just find it hard to care. I got bored of Dayz like Oct last year and have been waiting ever since. However for some reason waiting turns into bitterness and lots of my friends feel the same where they're bored of waiting and they ain't interested any more. I mean I'm still interested, however if I'm not gonna have any friends playing, I'll find it hard to stick around. Similar thing happened with Planetside 2 where it's like, we're waiting for too long for something to be implemented, my friends quit, so I did because it isn't fun and no one cares enough to go back to it anymore.

So I think the Dayz hype train is only declining and you need to release it sooner rather than later. It's fun to by an alpha game and get updates for it often anyways, that is why I loved Dayz so much back in the day because there was always something new. As soon as there stopped being new stuff, I got bored of it and haven't had any desire to go back to it since.

I don't want the UI to be streamlined either, I love how it takes ages to use it. If it's gonna become quick then suddenly the risk of looting is gone and suddenly the time is taken out too, so there is no risk in switching between items. In real life you don't have everything on a hot bar, you'll have to go through a bag to get stuff...

Really though all I wanted form Dayz SA is a Dayz game I didn't have to go round and install on peoples PCs because they found to to complicated to do so. Then a new map or a Chernarus that was actually fun to play on, you know maybe a big city in the middle so people travel instead of staying in the same locations. Maybe some NPCs and base building that was seamless and not instanced because that would suck. Obviously the zombies fixed or taken out because right now they add nothing to the game, just serve to annoy.

I'm not impressed by the video though, I think it was poorly done, and I dunno you came off like too protective over your own work. Really I'd like to see a more natural video where you're just having a play session....

Just give it that Frankie1080p guy and that 5hizzle twitch TV guy and watch them play on the same server with other people like TB and Yogscast, it would be more fun having a video series like that, where they stumble upon new features instead of having them forced.

THIS

• Like 2

*shrug*

It would be pointless me trying to make the game you want, because I only know the game I want. I'm making that game, based on what you said, I don't think you will enjoy the standalone. There's nothing wrong with that at all. And yes, the video is poorly done and unprofessional. But it was published within hours of capture and didn't hide anything. Objective achieved. I'm happy with that, we enjoy making the videos it turns what is normally a chore into a fun little extra task.

You really cant take mconstuctive critisism can you Rocket?

Come on mate he was giving some solid advice

I still hope they do something about the lighting and color. It is way too dark an blueish ! Some people say it's just because of some clouds or the time, but in every video it looks the same.

Someone posted some screenshots how it should actually look ..

005_C1_zpscfdde992.jpg

003_C_zps43da2e1a.jpg

also the sun glare seems to be way too much, just like in the mod if we look at some old screenshots. Also the change of light / color in the current mod is just ridiculous. If you change your field of view the glare / lightning changes completely .. everything is colorfull if you look to the ground and if you look just a little bit more straight ahead / up it's getting darker. These changes are way too extrem and just unrealistic. especially as they also occur indoors ...

So please Dev-Team, do something about the colors / light / glare .... because in the game you experience these changes in lighting / glare very strongly but in realy life you don't even notice it that much. So it realy is just annoying.

Look how bright the desk and the lamp look / reflect the light:

1_dayz3.jpg

zombie-mmo-games-dayz-standalone-sun-room-screenshot.png

Second this.

THIS

Fuck off mate, you having a laugh?

I don't want the UI to be streamlined either, I love how it takes ages to use it. If it's gonna become quick then suddenly the risk of looting is gone and suddenly the time is taken out too, so there is no risk in switching between items. In real life you don't have everything on a hot bar, you'll have to go through a bag to get stuff.

You agree that it's nice to have a clunky inventory screen when zombies can now run indoors, yet complain that zombies run fast and would rather have slower ones like DR so you can have 'fun' killing them? what a contradicting crock of shit of a post.

Edited by Victus Mortuus

What sucks is that it still looks clunky. I mean A3's engine improved on that. It has a good chance of swaying people of to A3.

I don't think Dayz will survive with just one map. I mean we'll play it for 2-3 months and then just get bored. When that happened in Dayz mod, we just switched to Taviana, Lingor, Namalsk etc. Been playing since May, now I'm just bored.

If they want to do it right, they need to include other maps, like load-ins, or a mission to get to the next map through challenges with varied difficulties. And they need to add in a LOT more content than different colored hoodies and motorcycle helmets. There needs to be a group mechanic implemented and stuff of that sort. The game needs end game beyond just mindless PVP.

You serious

Arma 3s engine is a state at present

There are many better looking games out there that run solid

Arma 3s engine doesnt at the moment.

You serious

Arma 3s engine is a state at present

There are many better looking games out there that run solid

Arma 3s engine doesnt at the moment.

It's actually a REALLY great looking game. Do you smoke crack?

• Like 1

what the hell calm down everyone! can't we just debate and argue instead of f*ck and sh*t?

some feel to criticze and some feel to praise as always as anywhere...

edit: stop getting soo defensive, because some give harmless criticisms!!

Edited by joe_mcentire

"It's done when it's done" is all fine and dandy when you expect a fully finished game, this was expected to be released as an alpha. Unless the done when its done means they dumped the minecraft model/alpha release and are just going for a completed game release. Either way it would be cool of them to man up and throw us an ESTIMATED release date atleast..

The only problem i have with Rocket is that.

The lack of communication will be the downfall of this project

Rocket really needs to listen to this

And it isnt us wanting the game rushed out quicker either rocket, we are trying to help here.

Edited by nicefish

what the hell calm down everyone! can't we just debate and argue instead of f*ck and sh*t?

It was a pretty terrible post..

The only way that hacking issues can even begin to be dealt with, is with a major architectural change. How many times do I have to say this before people realize this? Hacking is very bad in the mod, we're just lucky that private servers have been able to pick up some of the slack. In the early days, it was the wild west out there.

And quite frankly, if I'm going to be expecting people to pay for something then I think they should be getting something new. This the one chance I have where I can do something different, I can steer the direction where I want. So I'm going to use that experiement and try some ideas and concepts that I never would have had the chance to on a more traditional project.

And hopw many times will you have to be told that this is a large scale project/game

Rocket mate you need more people testing this than you currently do for such reasons you just stated.

Releasing as an alpha would be your best option at this point

but I like to f*ck and sh*t

Fuck off mate, you having a laugh?

I don't want the UI to be streamlined either, I love how it takes ages to use it. If it's gonna become quick then suddenly the risk of looting is gone and suddenly the time is taken out too, so there is no risk in switching between items. In real life you don't have everything on a hot bar, you'll have to go through a bag to get stuff.

You agree that it's nice to have a clunky inventory screen when zombies can now run indoors, yet complain that zombies run fast and would rather have slower ones like DR so you can have 'fun' killing them? what a contradicting crock of shit of a post.

That problem has since been fixed

Did you watch the video??

It's actually a REALLY great looking game. Do you smoke crack?

Did i say the game was bad looking?

I said theres BETTER looking games out there that run a hell of a lot better.

Did you read my post I mean...really. Did you read it.

And it isnt us wanting the game rushed out quicker either rocket

you mustn't forget that they have loads of work to do and you just simply underestimate this completely. actually i think they keep very close contact to their community. just go to any other forum of any other game, there you have your comparisons..

Edited by joe_mcentire

but I like to f*ck and sh*t

but not on the keybo...well actually you could...

• Like 1

When you select the item off the hotbar, your character could go through the animation of going through his bag.

Did you read my post I mean...really. Did you read it.

Yes i did read it

You told me to fuck off etc, and put words into my mouth

And it isnt us wanting the game rushed out quicker either rocket

your opinion that not releasing the game when YOU want is supported by MAX MAX 25%. 25% of 1600 k is still considered a win for the Dev team, so why don't you just realize that they don't really care what you are saying.

EDIT

1 600 000-25%

Edited by Mad mega