rocket

The Notorious Can Incident

So since these can-stickers that pay homage to dedicated work to the game are so heavily criticized based on the fact that it deters game world immersion, I assume that these people love immersion, meaning among other things that they don't have a kill on sight mentality and/or wouldn't prefer to ALT+F4 themselves out of a sticky situation? Who knew.

I'd happily lock this thread and start a poll but it's Rockets thread so probably wouldn't be wise of me to do that :)

There already is a poll, done by another member on here. It wasn't biased because it was on a 3rd party survey site and he asked for everyones opinions on here , 4chan , reddit and other dayz community sites.

I'll post what he said here

http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/19bns5/survey_results_from_the_can_incident/

Edited by NewClearWinter

Literally anyone could do that. I have alot of respect for the Dev Team because it requires alot of work to code things in the game and work through tedious glitches and errors.

But to be a forum mod requires the ability to read and common sense really. They don't have to do anything special. And alot of people would happily take their position in a heartbeat IF they could , but they can't. Don't get me wrong, the moderators on here I still respect as individuals and most of them seem to genuinely care, but their job isn't exactly difficult to the extent where they need their names on every piece of food in the game. We can be thankful for them, but to an extent because really, what other choice do we have but to accept them. Nobody else could do it unless the Forum Admin made them a mod.

You do have a point, but your point doesn't have as big an impact considering we are talking about a rather small change here; It's not like they are getting their own weapons and stuff.

Re: the poll: Yeh, that is a tad hard to read. A link to the original would be fine. I'm not going to go into the finer details of how to glean statistics from a poll but I'm not really sure 800 respondents does represent the playerbase at large.

BTW - I voted to remove them (having never asked for them to be added to start with), just so you know.

Edited by Fraggle

i think it is a disgrace (on dayz community level) that they were removed...from all related threads a vast majority liked the update and the cans...and I dare you to correct me, because i read ALL of them...

The problem was the people over at Reddit, didn't feel the same way.

I still want to club some people!!!!!!! :murder:

You do have a point, but your point doesn't have as big an impact considering we are talking about a rather small change here; It's not like they are getting their own weapons and stuff.

"when it's not as difficult as they make it out to be and others would gladly do what they do if they had the chance."
Edited by Fraggle

A link would have sufficed.

Re: the poll: Yeh, that is a tad hard to read. Al ink to the original would be fine. I'm not going to go into the finer details of how to glean statistics from a poll but I'm not really sure 800 respondents does represent the playerbase at large.

BTW - I voted to remove them (having never asked for them to be added to start with), just so you know.

Fixed it sorry, I just wanted to spare some of you the horrors (/sarcasm) of going to Reddit because I know you hate it so much.

I'm not really sure 800 respondents does represent the playerbase at large.

Playerbase not, but as there were about 800 people online on reddit and forum combined, during the peak of the incident, I think it should at least cover those who were most invested in it. Considering that both sides tried to convince everyone, that they are the majority, but the poll shows, that there is an even distribution of all opinions, over all media, we can at least know for sure, that a lot of us overestimated the popularity of our own opinion a bit.

• Like 2

Fixed it sorry, I just wanted to spare some of you the horrors (/sarcasm) of going to Reddit because I know you hate it so much.

I don't hate Reddit at all, I'm not a fan of the upvote/downvote system if I'm honest because IMO it doesn't lead to open debate as unpopular views dissapear pretty quickly.

Just to clear one last thing up and then I promise to leave the thread: None of the mods here

a ) Asked to be a mod, we we're all approached by admins or devs

b ) Said it was hard

c ) Asked for any recognition, we do it because we support the project and want it to succeed, many of us have since day #1

d ) Asked for the tins to be added to the game, in fact some opposed it.

Much love, I'm off.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 9

I don't hate Reddit at all, I'm not a fan of the upvote/downvote system if I'm honest because IMO it doesn't lead to open debate as unpopular views dissapear pretty quickly.

Just to clear one last thing up and then I promise to leave the thread: None of the mods here

b ) Said it was hard

c ) Asked for any recognition, we do it because we support the project and want it to succeed, many of us have since day #1

Much love, I'm off.

I made a comment a couple of minutes ago addressing that I know the mods didn't ask for recognition but someone deleted it I guess because it's not there now.

I've been playing this game since last summer, have been reading forum topics and staying up to date with the game, and only recently have decided to actually get involved with the forums. This is by far the most silly discussion ever. I know the DayZ crew has been having difficulty contacting the Coke / Pepsi companies, so what's the big deal with them changing stuff around?

• Like 1

I don't recall them ever saying it was hard; this is simply another example of people giving them shit when they had literally nothing to do with it.

b ) Said it was hard

As a former admin of a forum, I can only confirm that that's always the case

a) People who volunteer to be mods, very often only fool around, not doing their work. But admins and other mods can see those, who would do it right. Those people usually don't volunteer. they just accept.

B) they never say, but doesn't change the fact that it is hard. Especially during holiday season, when the kids are home all day.

c) yeah.. that's mods...

d) because no one ever asks the mods....

I was actually impressed when I saw the patch-note, that there were some people honoring the mods... in my experience people usually only blame mods for abusing their power... don't know how many hours I spent as an admin defending mods doing their work from stupid accusations.

• Like 1

I don't recall them ever saying it was hard; this is simply another example of people giving them shit when they had literally nothing to do with it.

I never said the the mods were saying it was hard work. I'm saying the people who are defending the mods and the their cans are comparing their work to the Dev Team in terms of difficultly and are speaking for the mods when they say they work hard.

Also, whichever mod deleted my other comment, you had no reason to do that I know of. It wasn't vulgar or offensive. And I'd just like an explanation on why you did that.

Edited by NewClearWinter

I am sorry but this HAD to be done...

There was to much spare time at work today...

O yes this is my first post, i have been playing for a couple mounths and the latest sh*tstorm that has occured in theese forums scares me.. it´s just cans?

I like this one...

I think the fat guy complaining about 3rd person is me. Makes me feel a little bit immortal too.

EDIT: Sorry guys, I was posting from the middle of the thread and didn't know you were having an actual honest debate. You rock.

Maybe Muffingate will be over sooner than I expected.

Edited by Max Planck

I never said the the mods were saying it was hard work. I'm saying the people who are defending the mods and the their cans are comparing their work to the Dev Team in terms of difficultly and are speaking for the mods when they say they work hard.

Understandable.

I haven't tried this update yet. But from what i've read, there's this huge problem people have with brand names of cans... Seriously? It's great the community is involved but it seems it's getting a little bit too involved.

Now the developers had to take the time to remove these cans and make posts on the forums about it. Thanks, you delayed the game even more over can names.

Edited by Varasalvi

Man, the butt hurt on the internet today is incredible. From both sides.

Honestly, I think this whole ordeal was a good thing. It's kind of like the birth cry for the DayZ mod while being under the community development. It's the first growing pain that will shape and build the community to become closer, and stronger (provided we work through this for the benefit of DayZ and not our pride.) < -- EDIT: This was not a jab against the can names. I meant the arguing and back a forth about who's right.

This was bound to happen at some point, and there WILL be things in the future that people will disagree on. I think the main thing we should take away from this is a better sense of how to deal with with these kinds of issues in the future, as both developers and as the fans/players.

EDIT 2: I'd also like to add, that I was killed by a teleporter before I ever even found one of the new foods or drinks. COME ON STANDALONE!

Edited by Beta_Grumm
  • Like 3

I'm pretty sure that this discussion would have not been that intense if the changelog would have been more detailed. The changelog did imply that those are the actual names of the food items, while in fact it was "only" written in the item description. A proper screenshot of the food in game or a better explanation of the implantation maybe could have prevented most trouble.

Edited by YassirX

Re: the poll: Yeh, that is a tad hard to read. A link to the original would be fine. I'm not going to go into the finer details of how to glean statistics from a poll but I'm not really sure 800 respondents does represent the playerbase at large.

Actually, a sample size of ~1000 is considered more than good enough for an accurate survey as long as the survey covers a broad swath of the target community, which in this case it did (reddit, 4chan, dayzmod.com). Most polling you see for high-stakes things like Presidential and Senate races are only using sample sizes of ~1000 even though the results are considered legit for states with tens of millions of people.

/end nerd talk

http://www.sciencebu...ticipants.shtml

Edited by jackelpdw
  • Like 4

Most polling you see for high-stakes things like Presidential and Senate races are only using sample sizes of ~1000 even though the results are considered legit for states with tens of millions of people.

Random question from little kid: "But aren't these significant samples, which proved to be on the spot in the past?"

Hey guys. I took this long way to page 20 to get it.

I don't get it.

You are arguing about what?

Why is this.....what?

Maybe i'm wrong but this is....what?

Honestly, don't get it.

I'm out! Playing DayZ! B)

PS: Dear rocket, where did you get your seals? My dealer is on vacation and mine are all clubbed.

Edited by Cpt.Undead

i never saw the changes and have no idea what this is all about.

but i am up for clubbing a baby seal. i hear those furs are worth a fortune.

i think i undersatand maybe, anyway being an australian its cool seeing brands like heinz in the game.

Edited by DMC14