rocket

DayZ Devblog 22nd February 2013

When I first get a chance to play standalone I think I will KOS if the other player has a weapon and there is no way for me to get away unnoticed. I don't KOS now in the mod. But I don't think I will take the chance to die right away in the standalone. I guess the mod has just made it hard for me to trust strangers. I do hope that changes though.

Edited by Althoretjs
  • Like 1

When I first get a chance to play standalone I think I will KOS if the other player has a weapon and there is no way for me to get away unnoticed. I don't KOS now in the mod. But I don't think I will take the chance to die right away in the standalone. I guess the mod has just made it hard for me to trust strangers. I do hope that changes though.

it always depends on the other players.

i was sneaking up behind another survivor several times aiming at his head and said "freeze! dont turn around or i need to kill you" and 90% of them immediately turned around... not my fault if they are stupid^^

I think that if the game is hard enough to survive in (the Mod is too easy to survive) people will not KOS. I doubt players will want to risk losing all of their clothing items for firing a gun off. Since the zombies should now be able to run indoors I can see random people teaming up to hold off a zombie rush instead of killing each other. People only KOS because there reaches a point where there is nothing else interesting to do. If you make the game hard enough people will have to stand together in the Standalone.

• Like 7

I think that if the game is hard enough to survive in (the Mod is too easy to survive) people will not KOS. I doubt players will want to risk losing all of their clothing items for firing a gun off. Since the zombies should now be able to run indoors I can see random people teaming up to hold off a zombie rush instead of killing each other. People only KOS because there reaches a point where there is nothing else interesting to do. If you make the game hard enough people will have to stand together in the Standalone.

Yes, I agree.

Players will not risk to attract an horde of Z's just for firing to another player, cooperation of small player groups will be the winning tactic for short term survival.

The more threatening will be the Z's the more interesting will be the player to player interactions.

• Like 1

Totally agree. If the response to the latest zombie improvements in the mod is anything to go by, there will also be a significant number of people who stop playing DayZ altogether. It seems that many have forgotten how to not shoot other players, and the result will be that they die very quickly to zombies. I doubt they will work out that they are better off if they don't look to solely pvp.

• Like 1

Totally agree. If the response to the latest zombie improvements in the mod is anything to go by, there will also be a significant number of people who stop playing DayZ altogether. It seems that many have forgotten how to not shoot other players, and the result will be that they die very quickly to zombies. I doubt they will work out that they are better off if they don't look to solely pvp.

Spot on. Since my friends and I stopped playing the Mod months ago, we have all been trying to dissect what made the game enjoyable at its peak for us, as well as the reasons why it became stale and we quit playing.

The primary reason behind us losing interest was because of the ease factor once we had figured out basic mechanics.

-Zeds were no longer a threat even when completely unarmed

-Abundance of items were easily accessible. This also contributed to lack of worry for dying. It was easy to "restart/rebuild"

-PVP was the only variable that remained as people were unpredictable

I'm hoping that the SA is as hard in PVE as it literally felt during the first couple of weeks of playing the mod. Increase the PVE level of difficulty and that will have a positive impact on the current "PVP arena" aspect that the mod has.

-Increased zombie AI/pathing

-Decreased resources/ammunition

-New environmental/disease elements

These are all things that I am assuming are going to occur in the SA just from following the Dev among other great enhancements. But it would be nice to have a bit more insight with regards to the "level of difficulty" and how it may or may not change in the SA.

Yea, I would like to see the PVE harder as well. Also, if we lived in a infected world, we wouldn't go around shooting guns like it's all good. I think that if a player shoots a gun in town they run the risk of the infected attacking them (kind of like now) and hoping that the PVE is harder at this point, they will think twice about shooting first and asking questions later.

In shows and movies, people try to avoid stirring up the zombies. In The Walking Dead the zombies move slow as shit, but the people still try to avoid making noise.

Please.

Please.

Please.

Put in zombies that trip and fall on stairs and ladders. They are the undead, they should be stupid. Stairs should all look like M.C.Escher paintings to zombies, and ladders should just be unfathomable to them altogether.

• Like 1

I've made that same mistake with Diablo 3 as well. I wanted it released fast and look at what happened.

I learned my lesson. I hope Rocket and his team take as much time as the need to get it just right. Because the disappointment after release, if it's rushed and it sucks, hurts much much more. Because Diablo 3 ruined Diablo universe for me and many others and I fucking hate blizzard for that now. I hope it won't happen here.

Titan Quest: Immortal Throne was an actual improvment on Diablo II; Diablo III was a disaster.

• Like 2

If a player shots a gun in a town, every zombie around 200meters should aggro him, its that simple.

Pistols should aggro every zombie from 100meters (or less, G17 for example should be 80-70m).

Edited by YassirX

Please.

Please.

Please.

Put in zombies that trip and fall on stairs and ladders. They are the undead, they should be stupid. Stairs should all look like M.C.Escher paintings to zombies, and ladders should just be unfathomable to them altogether.

They are not zombies. I believe that rocket has said this that they are infected with a rage virus. I see a lot of people on here with the whole zombie thing but they are not undead, that's why when the player dies they don't turn into a zombie, they just die. It is also why you don't get the virus they have because you are immune to it.

They are not zombies. I believe that rocket has said this that they are infected with a rage virus. I see a lot of people on here with the whole zombie thing but they are not undead, that's why when the player dies they don't turn into a zombie, they just die. It is also why you don't get the virus they have because you are immune to it.

Does it really matter? Zombies, infected, mutations... you know what he means.

Thank you Lore Master.

Edited by twinturbonet

Does it really matter? Zombies, infected, mutations... you know what he means.

Thank you Lore Master.

Actually it does matter, he said stupid undead but they are alive human beings that think and know how to do all the things they used to do such as climbing ladders, open doors, or jump fences etc.. They are just driven to rage by the virus. It has nothing to do with lore that's just a dumb thing to say. O.o have you seen the movie 28days later???

Edited by Althoretjs

Actually it does matter, he said stupid undead but they are alive human beings that think and know how to do all the things they used to do such as climbing ladders, open doors, or jump fences etc.. They are just driven to rage by the virus. It has nothing to do with lore that's just a dumb thing to say. O.o have you seen the movie 28days later???

Very well; they are enranged. Let's strap a rubber band around you balls and see how well you climb ladders. I am terrible at lots of things when I lose my temper.

I think you did not understand 28 days later...yes in this movie they are infected but they also all died of starvation after a few weeks ...not really clever ;) They are not logical thinking human beings anymore ! Look at the soldier in 28 weeek later which tries to reach the kids in the isolation ward He tries to get trough the armoured glas instead of trying to unlock the door...not really clever as well. Last but not least look at the movments the devs mocaped. Do you think our zeds will walk and run this way including all the spasms stuff but use doors, stairs and ladder as usual...I don't thinks so...

Edited by Private Evans

Does anybody know anything about new animals being implemented into the game? Maybe animals that can present some danger to the player beside zombies (will make the boring and totally safe forest runs - unsafe :P). Maybe some wolves, bears? Maybe wild city dogs (you know, like those in Chernobyl). And more farm animals, like horses and pigs around and in the villages (can even be in a form of partially rotten corpses lying around the streets), would definitely add to the abandoned atmosphere... imagine the owls' sounds during the night :P You know, it seems like a great idea. Nature has to be involved too. Maybe even some real swamps that can swallow you if you step too far into them. Or how about rivers? Think of it - a streaming river that you can hear from hundreds of meters away in the taiga! Because see, besides cities, a lot of the gameplay involves running in the nature. Nature needs to be more realistic, more wild. This is what will make the player to be truly scared - he has nowhere to go. He will be trapped in between the wild nature and the urban apocalyptic life. That's what Chernarus needs! :)

AND, topping all that with seasons! Imagine how awesome that would be having the 4 seasons in the game. Green, Orange/Red, Grey/Brown, and White/Blue pallets covering the ground and trees :)

Well, perhaps one day...

Edited by osallivan
  • Like 3

I want DayZ to be more like STALKER in terms of scaryness. That game did a great job creating a genuinly creepy world.

• Like 1

I know the difference. I just don't think it's worth someone actually posting about it since we all know what he means. Let it go man, just let it go. :rolleyes:

I know the difference. I just don't think it's worth someone actually posting about it since we all know what he means. Let it go man, just let it go. :rolleyes:

we should write short and simple sentences only and avoid sarcasm....maybe its just me but I have the feeling an undead army of brainless, simpleminded, humorless casual gamers has just arrived in front of our gates...

• Like 1

Also here are a few other things that I believe would improve the experience:

-Account(user) statistics. Ideally, I would love to know and be able to look back on all the major stats that are able to be tracked. Character lifespan, kills, animal kills, zombie kills, food consumed, ammo, distance traveled, etc. Just whatever is able to be recorded. I know many of these things are already being recorded at a macro level, so bringing all of it down(if its not already) to an account level sounds promising. If nothing else, knowing the period of game time and RL time you have survived on your current character would be great

-I love the idea from the OP regarding enhancements to the wilderness environment. Having some type of threat such as wildlife while being in the woods will greatly increase the immersion and gameplay experience. I think he hit the nail on the head because the majority of most folks' time is spent out in the woods. Dev time spent increasing the wilderness experience would be time well spent IMO.

I want DayZ to be more like STALKER in terms of scaryness. That game did a great job creating a genuinly creepy world.

I totally agree. Sounds, music, weather... I remember standing in one spot because I was too afraid to continue playing the game. Lol.

Edited by twinturbonet

I think he hit the nail on the head because the majority of most folks' time is spent out in the woods. Dev time spent increasing the wilderness experience would be time well spent IMO.

Totally agree!!

Also here are a few other things that I believe would improve the experience:

-Account(user) statistics. Ideally, I would love to know and be able to look back on all the major stats that are able to be tracked. Character lifespan, kills, animal kills, zombie kills, food consumed, ammo, distance traveled, etc. Just whatever is able to be recorded. I know many of these things are already being recorded at a macro level, so bringing all of it down(if its not already) to an account level sounds promising. If nothing else, knowing the period of game time and RL time you have survived on your current character would be great

-I love the idea from the OP regarding enhancements to the wilderness environment. Having some type of threat such as wildlife while being in the woods will greatly increase the immersion and gameplay experience. I think he hit the nail on the head because the majority of most folks' time is spent out in the woods. Dev time spent increasing the wilderness experience would be time well spent IMO.

Exactly, see. This is an obvious thing - to be honest I spent 60% of my time in the forest and around cities. Then when it gets boring, I venture to the towns to have some PVP or to find some cars and generic loot. So hence my suggestion, in order to avoid that "boringness" :). It looks like Rocket and the team are concentrating on making cities look more post apocalyptic (adding gory building interiors and etc.). Maybe I am wrong, and they do redesign the wilderness as well (I am ignoring the new Swamp area because I do not see it as a feature, but just a new location, just like "Novoselky", that new town they added). A feature has to actually present some new gameplay to the player. Either endanger him more, or help him.

Adding more rocks, fallen and broken trees, bear and wolf caves, rivers and creeks, cliffs, dense bushes, and etc. That's what I mean. The wild nature has to be quite rich in those terms. I am not talking about a jungle or something, but you know, if you look at a dangerous forest/taiga - check these out:

http://i1.trekearth....5043/tundra.jpg

(this one below, can be like a hunter's hut of some sort where you could find some food and stay safe)

http://static6.depos...Yukon-taiga.jpg

http://c3e308.medial...-forest-jpg.jpg

That's how I envision it. In a zombie apocalypse, every survivour runs to the wilderness as it is the only relatively safe place.

Wouldn't that be awesome seeing that in DayZ :)

As for the Account/User statistics. I am pretty sure they will add something like that. I've heard about those player diaries from one source...

Edited by osallivan

I thought the 'Z' in DayZ stood for Zombie, not infected or virus... By your logic, it should be called DayI or DayV, then...

Am i totally off here?

I thought of it as Day-Z, like an unknown day. like Day X. :P I guess it can be interpreted in many ways.