joe_mcentire

Huge Structures in DayZ SA

well...so how huge do you want your treehouses then :huh: ?!

;)

edit:

but tbh i think "just" to climb on a tree would be much!

Well with how Arma 2 engine works is that buildings come in one big package. If they had something like 10 different variants scattered across the map or if you could build your own with crafting it would be very easy to add.

The typical treehouses like you see in backyards, just different variants. Maybe if they added some huge redwood forest there'd be a huge one 500 feet in the air.

I would absolutely kill to see an area like highway and abandoned farm earthquake attacked.

i'm liking the sewer idea, wouldn't impact performance if it was loaded separately eg. fallout 3 sewer system

what can we expect from our existing locations? what are the upgrades you would want to see?

Large sewers and catacombs, underground stuff in general.

Something comparable to the Odessa catacombs and the old London sewers.

- Veeery dark = real use for a flaslight

- Several exits and dead ends

- Easy to get lost without a map (Underground map, extremely rare?)

- Very small amount of very high-value loot

- Enough zeds to make the place a deathtrap for people lacking cautiousness

Something like the catacombs under ST. Michen's cathedral in dublin? maybe something like the paris catacombs?

What about underground military/Government bunkers? Military infected inside, high chance of finding military grade loot, possible?

indeed sewers as a means of travel.. i posted about this idea a few times and like fraggle said it should be easy to get lost in but safer from infected

i agree with the sewer idea, maybe an incredibly large sewer covering the whole island, with tons of dead ends and incredible darkness.

or perhaps a really (and i mean unsettling) scary building including all sorts of stuff like banging noises, faint cries, zombies, and EXTREMO RARE OMG loot

Subway system where train cars can be modified to run on alternative power source.

That would be pretty hard to do. Modifying a subway car can take a lot of work because most subway cars underground are electrically powered by a third rail. So having it run off an alternative source would mean rerouting all the wires to the motors, and finding some generator cable of producing the massive amounts of power used to move a train. Also, the reason most subways are electric is because smoke. If subways were powered by the usual 16 cylinder diesel engine the size of a car then underground subway stations would be un breathable. Which could also pose as another problem in Dayz. Think of you in Dayz modifying a train car and have it running on a busy tunnel, then the engine stalls and you slowly begin to choke on all the smoke.

Although it would be a very interesting idea i think sewers would be better.

also another thing, were are you going to park a train car and expect it not to get stolen?

This is one of the best threads i have seen in a while and a topic I'm pretty passionate about.. I started a similar thread sometime back but it had no where near as much attention payed to it...

I believe one of the best ideas out of all of this that would take the least amount of effort would be a motorway tunnel through a mountain or something.. a single, double lane passage filled with cars dead bodies and many spooky things.. id also love the sewer as most of us would but like I said I dare say the tunnel would be the easiest to implement first with out alot of hassle compared to something like a sewer system or carnival...

• Like 1

This is such a fantastic thread. I find myself reading and agreeing with pretty much every post. All enlightening ideas! I already know one perfect location for a tunnel - on the coastal road near Otmel. All one must do is extend those rocky mountains to encompass the road, pull out the landmass a bit, and voila - a horrifying tunnel full of wrecked and disabled cars, zombies, ect. It might even make for an excellent base for organized players - not to mention sewer access which would make stealthy intrusions very likely and desperate escapes entirely plausible. On top of all that it extends from a road full of wrecked vehicles, car parts, death, and decay. An extremely high risk, but high reward zone that may result in you finding parts to repair a vehicle, but also becomes highly contested territory, which happens to attract zombies for miles, so that they may feed upon the human decay. What a sight that would be.

Edited by SalamanderAnder
  • Like 1

i would really love to see some references, some hints to mysteries: like the mentioned tin can factory or a bean packing factory.

Old bunker facilites with long connected tunnels with hints to the ember room (stated above) maybe.

we have old nazi tunnels (near my home village as well as in the city i live in now) something like these would be absolutely awesome.

Today they have new options for use: (near my village) data protection and backup for companies (http://www.kapsch.net/kbc/solutions/business_protection/itsecurity/eDs)

The others are used as functional rooms 

adwMBdd.jpg?1jN9t5du.jpg?1

Ztdab8I.jpg?1

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 1

in this case.....since I am no fan of the underground base building idea I would like see instead instances being used to extend the existing gameworld by adding them as "dungeons" like tunnel systems, underground facilities, caves amines, sewers etc etc...in fact they could add a complete new map...Chernarus underground....

Edited by Private Evans

yes well who remembers that part of the stephen king adaption called the stand(tv series) from 1994 where dude character has to pass through that seedy tunnel full of dead people in cars and he really doesnt want to do it.. I tried to find a link on youtube seems like theres nothing at all on trailers etc

I think the show is pretty puss these days not many of those stephen king movies/shows have stood the test of time and are quite laughable these days but it was the balls back in the day  ^_^

Edited by liquidcactus

yes well who remembers that part of the stephen king adaption called the stand(tv series) from 1994 where dude character has to pass through that seedy tunnel full of dead people in cars and he really doesnt want to do it.. I tried to find a link on youtube seems like theres nothing at all on trailers etc

I think the show is pretty puss these days not many of those stephen king movies/shows have stood the test of time and are quite laughable these days but it was the balls back in the day  ^_^

I was thinking about that part in the Stand where the guy has a broken leg and has to splint it up. It would be interesting if DayZ actually had you fix a broken leg that way. Though I admit, killing yourself, respawning, and returning to the location of your body seems like an obvious workaround for such a gameplay mechanic.

I was thinking about that part in the Stand where the guy has a broken leg and has to splint it up. It would be interesting if DayZ actually had you fix a broken leg that way. Though I admit, killing yourself, respawning, and returning to the location of your body seems like an obvious workaround for such a gameplay mechanic.

Indeed there has been much debate about the splint idea... I don't  see why not they may as well put it in.. even if people are going to try an suicide i still think they should doit. It would be very interesting.. its probably only really worth it if you have a some freinds in game to assist

Edited by liquidcactus

ok the last post bugge the fuck out and my comment is the 2nd one that looks like salamanders comment wow wtf just happend

I saw and liked Aircraft graveyard and Old pool that have almost drained right down.

Great water sources pools :D

Aircraft graveyards could be festering grounds for loose aviation scrap used to help in general aircraft repairs.

If scrap metal could act like a container and you can take better looks at the stuff one your stocked up.

That way you could have things like lead pipes and screws instead of just general use scrap one scrap fits all.

I'm thinking medbag sort of scrap metal.

Scrapbox? Cardboard box commonly found in garages or sheds of tinkerers that yields a first aid kit alike one big item shoved into inventory box of assorted scraps metals.

I always wanted a metropolitan type survival deals.

Huge buildings, malls, subways, parks, etc...

Imagine surviving the zombie apocalypse in NYC.

That'd just be....Absolute shit. 10 or so million crazieZ? feck off, I'll be happy with Ireland

tramway system with cars in cherno including a remise for a more atmospheric experience in cherno

I think a white water area leading to a waterfall with a dam or hydro electric power plant would be cool. You could have better chances to find tools and tool boxes there along with brake rooms with food and drink. It should have little to no windows and be a maze of confined close quarter areas. I tried to do some research for the lighting but couldnt find if hydro dams power themselves so ill leave that there. There should be a road leading up to a guard post with a road leading to a parking area (rare car spawn point) with a walk way leading in. I think this would be a nice addition because of the type of structure it is it would be place in the middle of forest areas giving people more of a reason to go exploring the bast wilderness.

I think a white water area leading to a waterfall with a dam or hydro electric power plant would be cool. You could have better chances to find tools and tool boxes there along with brake rooms with food and drink. It should have little to no windows and be a maze of confined close quarter areas. I tried to do some research for the lighting but couldnt find if hydro dams power themselves so ill leave that there. There should be a road leading up to a guard post with a road leading to a parking area (rare car spawn point) with a walk way leading in. I think this would be a nice addition because of the type of structure it is it would be place in the middle of forest areas giving people more of a reason to go exploring the bast wilderness.

• Like 1

Buildings that are on the verge of collapsing. Cruise ship sinking in the ocean. In sum, locations in dangerous condition.

Survivors who venture these areas would have to be extra observant to their surrounding. Players would stay away from loose brick or parts of a ceiling that has large growing cracks, and have to react fast when a brick fell from the ceiling.

• Like 1

Would be great to deal with wounds this way. Break a leg, splint it until it is healed (the amount of time to heal would have to be unrealistic, like 2 game days or something to heal a broken leg maybe..).. until then you walk / run with a limp. Break an arm, again ya splint it until healed.. meanwhile you cannot hold a weapon the same (more difficult to aim guns, swinging an axe is less accurate etc..). And getting shot should have something also.. no immediate fix via bandage.

About the killing yourself and respawning.. that should be dealt with so it is not an option.

Edit: Again, underground stuffs.. and I for one would be totally happy with that being instanced (but not just for that player.. whoever goes into an instance, should see anyone else who is currently in that instance)

Edited by Cormyr