joe_mcentire

Huge Structures in DayZ SA

With the introduction of Utes in the SA - a new offshore island - ppl speculate whether there might be a huge, never seen before structure established.

Which structures do YOU want to see ingame in the long run in the Standalone?
What are your reasons for your suggestions?
Any idea, where to locate them, or does it matter at all?
Which PVE, which PVP possibilities would be emerging?
What kind of loot would be possible and logical? Special Consumables?
Could it bear a thrilling back-story with some shocking secrets and how could it be brought to the gamers?
Do you think of special props to add to more depth?
Do you have specific references?

Keep in mind, what Rocket and his team are looking for (no artificial battle grounds; authenticity; depth; interesting for teams as well as for loner e.g.)!

Please give your suggestions, as for myself I would love to here them!
This site can give you very nice examples and ideas at the same time: http://www.urbanghostsmedia.com/

just some examples: prisons, mental asylums, sawmill/quarry grounds, old POW camps, stadiums, fair grounds, old bean factory, huge distilleries, ammunition factory, crimean sparkling wine production site, charcoal burning, power plants, shipyards/wharfs....

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 4

A large ship, One of the last ships which could not leave due to engine trouble. could be a source for Survivors washing up on shore, forced to leave for lack of supplies. (Idea partially stolen from other people suggestions, don't mind me I'm doing a warzzz)

On the North and West sides of the map in the hills could be a caravan site, where survivors made a last stand. damaged wrecks and best of all a Motorway connecting them, I would (like so many others) like to see a long road with death and mayhem along the road. a place where only the brave would venture, being over looked by hills and ridges where players could look before getting themselves into a world of hurt. Of course Zeds would be wandering all over this area, scavenging on corpses and remains. (And to take the piss a warzzz bridge over a portion of the swamp. Under it the troll's can live)

A swamp type area between Myshkino and Lopatino, there would be great and break up all the nothing that is there. a river feeding the swamp / marsh from Petrovka. It could go round the end of the runway at NWAF and wind down to the marsh / swamp. Fishing posts and hunting booths dotted around the river.

Graveyard, a huge mother graveyard with open graves for the bodies that never got in them, grave stones at most. If you see half finished graves it would add to the story immensely.

Military outposts on the northern and western ridges one every few miles with medical facilities (take away all barracks from airfield) Having been built for control of the infected population they have been overrun and are in ruin.

Hunters sheds in the Black Forest, It could be a hunting ground, with specific species living there, perhaps a few Homes tucked away in the darkness of the woods.

Edited by Michaelvoodoo25
  • Like 19

Probably asking a bit too much here, but i'd like to see a subway system a la Metro 2033. Or at the least more underground structures like sewers and mines

• Like 9

A road tunnel that leads to an area that cannot be accessed by other means, scattered with wrecked cars and trucks.

Hsuehshan-Road-Tunnel-Entrance.jpg

2406667815.jpg

Edited by Bribase
  • Like 10

I'd love to see a rusty off-shore aircraft carrier, only accessable by boat or heli, although the heli can't land on it :) . Arma2 already has the model with some interiors so should be possible.

I'd also love to see a sewer system under the cities, maybe with some secret tunnels leading elsewhere. I'd want these tunnels to be amazingly easy to get lost in so that players would need to make a mao or leave some kind of trail to find their way around.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 14

ok here we go...

An old insane asylum built at the end of the 19th century on Skalista Island :) In the past it was also used as a hospital for wounded soldiers during ww1 and ww2 and as a craddle short after ww2. During the late Stalin aera it probably became part of the "Gulag" system and maybe some really sick stuff happened there...did somebody said experiments ??

I imagine a large complex with a lot of buildings surrounded by an old park flooded with infected inmates and nurses ...

inspired by :

Edited by Private Evans
  • Like 13

I'd want these tunnels to be amazingly easy to get lost in so that players would need to make a mao or leave some kind of trail to find their way around.

Sewer plans could be a rare find

During the late Stalin aera it probably became part of the "Gulag" system and maybe some really sick stuff happened there...did somebody said experiments ??

Maybe their could be subtle hints to be found around this place that give clues as to the outbreak maybe starting there as the result of experiments, sort of in the vain of Unit 731- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit_731

Notes written by captors or whatever you call them, stuff like that

Edited by RobbL

Large sewers and catacombs, underground stuff in general.

Something comparable to the Odessa catacombs and the old London sewers.

- Veeery dark = real use for a flaslight

- Several exits and dead ends

- Easy to get lost without a map (Underground map, extremely rare?)

- Very small amount of very high-value loot

- Enough zeds to make the place a deathtrap for people lacking cautiousness

• Like 5

The latitude and longitude for Utes correspond to a real life island - Snake Island.

It's here:

https://maps.google....37&z=14&iwloc=A

Check the wiki page:

http://en.wikipedia....land_(Black_Sea)

I'm not suggesting it has to be the same by any means, but there's some good background, maybe ideas for inspiration etc. (Marine research station maybe)

Interestingly, Wiki mentions there's NO fresh water supply on the island...

snake_island_zps316c2f2c.jpg

That said, I do like the idea of a mental asylum....

Edited by Horde
  • Like 2

Big buildings which has so many doors and rooms etc. that you might get lost there in the building... Like Private Evans posted, that kind of places would be epic and real Zombie stuff, make the game interesting other way than just to kill everyone !!

A big fat prison, which would be a marvellous base for a group of survivors.

Yes, I watched The Walking Dead.

• Like 5

Circus with Z clowns!

Disclaimer: its cliche and foolish but I still like it

will there be balloons ?

I always wanted a metropolitan type survival deals.

Huge buildings, malls, subways, parks, etc...

Imagine surviving the zombie apocalypse in NYC.

• Like 2

One thing I want from the sa is larger cities, because they're all scaled down too much imo. The 'city' of cherno is only the size of a small town

• Like 4

8 million zombies ...no chance to survive....

A palace along these lines, the Catherine and Alexander palaces in Russia. If these were more run down it would make them pretty eery and creepy, much like the interiors in Amnesia;

post-58661-0-93043600-1360184639_thumb.j

post-58661-0-77699600-1360184662_thumb.j

Edited by ComradeClash
  • Like 1

@ CreepySalad & RobbL

well guys...then try to give significant examples! I like a huge city o.O. well yeah me too...but hey try to be creative, this is what i intended to get a thread with many creative ideas. so if one comes up with an awesome theatre, the next a creepy city hall/mansion and so forth.. then you would realize we have a city at our hands!

for example a main "avenue" with bars and brothels on a cobbled street, with huge iron railings which go from bottom to roof, a little backyard with an improvised firing range made of bean cans and empty vodka bottles. Imagine a shop with huge red letters "exclusive: crimea's finest natural sparkling, for the special lady. Now also selling piccolos!" you get my idea..

Edited by joe_mcentire

A motivation for suggesting various buildings/installations here is the player's need for aquiring certain stuff off certain locations on the map (so these items aren't spawning everywhere, like on Namalsk with it's hospital supplies location at the hostpital buildings).

Prison: A location for close quarters combat and a way to aquire: prison clothing, guard clothing, stun guns and monitoring equipment, water.

Medium sized transport ship: A location for close quarters combat and a way to aquire: fuel, binoculars, small boats, water.

Large Hospital (with elevators): A location for close quarters combat and a way to aquire: any medial supplies, monitoring equipmenet, water.

High rise Hotel: A location for close quarters combat and a way to aquire: common clothing, water.

Hotel/holiday resort: A place to find: money, common clothing, water.

Police station: A way to aquire: weapons, stun guns, gas grenades, smoke grenades, police uniforms, radio equipment.

I find the notion of having elevators running in a multi story building particulary fascinating.

Having completely dark basement areas beneath large buildings seem like fun as well, since gamma adjustment won't/ought not help there (potentially unplayable, if one had no light souce at all).

With all the respawning going on as player characters die over and over, how about turning the loss of a character life into something useful, like allowing a player to be captured and placed in some kind of custody, for sake of some other game mechanic. Player characters could be taken capure and locked away in any room with a lock on it.

I think it could be fun, having the option to cut down trees in the forest OR use some kind of area effect that cut down trees, in such a way that entire forests cannot be removed (too expensive, too laborious etc, hard limitation).

I find the notion of large buildings fascinating, as if entering a building would offer a similar alienation as when moving around the map in chernarus, being unable to controle the entire area (all rooms, all floors).

Other items/consumables:

empty storage boxes

ladders

generator w. electrical light sources that are placable

overturned furniture used for blocking a door

consumer grade electrical water boiler in houses (for purifying water)

knives in houses, alcohol to subdue pain from injuries (plausible?)

laser motion detectors (detects a break in the beam revealing anyones presence, visible through use of nvg's and/or smoke?)

lighter and sigarettes (option for "style" AND for making a puff of smoke to reveal laser beam intrusion detectors)

window blind sheets (makes it impossible to look through a window, also prevents light to shine out the window at night)

As for anything to do with story/tention, I think it could be fun if there was a way for implicating player deaths in areas where players have fought eachother or have been devestated by zombies. So that there would be grimy, bloody texture details in such locations, perhaps also being indicative of present dangers (as if zombies were nearby). Blinking room lights?

Edited by Treehugger
  • Like 2

I think it's just a rumor as I couldn't verify it but some people said that they wanted to replace the airport on Utes with a big prison.

It is a great idea indeed as we already have 2 airfields on a 15km x 15km map so that's basically enough I guess :D

Can anyone confirm this?

Probably asking a bit too much here, but i'd like to see a subway system a la Metro 2033. Or at the least more underground structures like sewers and mines

That sounds cool