Sign in to follow this  
tripl_b

anyone else feel like rocket missed the boat with the SA?

I know my interest in DayZ has been waning as we continue to wait for the stand alone. It seems like Rocket is putting in a bunch of stuff people don't necessarily need or want (ex - pooping) instead of just fixing hacking and bugs. As a result people are losing interest. What do you think?

• Like 1

nope, not at all.

Rocket missed the boat? lol, he's building a brand new luxury fucking liner

• Like 39

nope, not at all.

Indeed Edited by Man vs Wild
  • Like 1

The hacking was solved long ago, when they finished up the new engine.

Bugs are continuously being worked on, that's what Alpha/Beta is for.

If you have something against what Rocket is doing with HIS game, feel free to go the USUAL way, and wait for DayZ to be a finished, polished game of its own. Not Alpha, not Beta, but actually something we call a finished game.

Edit; The very notion of us being able to play DayZ as it currently stands is a luxury, a privilege most game developers/publishers didn't even consider a year or two ago.

Edited by Dancing.Russian.Man
  • Like 1

To be honest, I can't believe your losing interest. With the increase of info coming from the dev team, the new ideas being implemented for the SA, and the stress test getting closer, I just keep getting more and more excited for this thing. I might not agree with some of those new ideas, but then we haven't played it so who can really say if it works or not yet.

This isn't cleaning up a Mod. This is making a game out of the idea that was put forth by the mod. It takes times. Better its done right, instead of WarZing it up.

.....s'tsop eseht fo derit gnitteg yllaer mI

Is it wrong that I could read that in a heartbeat?

By the way don't bother investigating that branch over there that looks slightly like a AS50's barrel.

I love this signature.

• Like 1

If the game was a buggy unplayable mess on release more people would lose interest, they only get one shot at putting out the right product and if done correctly I am sure most people will quickly find their interest renewed.

The whole point of the upcoming exercise is to identify and fix the bugs.

The SA has barely been in development 6 months and you expect a fully fledged, bug free game?

Check out {Insert Crappy Day Z Rip Off Here} if you want to see what happens when a game is rushed onto the market.

• Like 5

Don't get me wrong guys, I still really enjoy playing when I do play. But from a business perspective I cant help but think he could've made way more money if he had acted earlier and just fixed the major problems people had with the game and then addressed other stuff. A strike when the iron is hot kinda thing.

No. My interest might have waned a bit since I started playing, and I often take long breaks from DayZ, but I'm still excited for the standalone. Two of my friends who used to be hardcore DayZ players who stopped playing a few months ago, still follow the development of the standalone, and rest assured they will buy the SA on it's release day as well.

People will be throwing money at their computer screens the day the standalone comes out, regardless if they've been keeping up with the mod or not.

I kind of feel where you're coming from. Every day that passes I see more people that I enjoyed playing with just get bored of team deathmatch with slightly bothersome npcs running around. If you don't enjoy being a dick, there's not much to do after you gear up. I'm hoping they are putting things in the SA that actually have a point or a goal other than find shit and try not to lose it.

As rocket has said before ( I think) He want's to make a big difference between the mod and SA for the ground release. (could be wrong)

Don't get me wrong guys, I still really enjoy playing when I do play. But from a business perspective I cant help but think he could've made way more money if he had acted earlier and just fixed the major problems people had with the game and then addressed other stuff. A strike when the iron is hot kinda thing.

That would have been the strategy if Rocket was planning on making a lot of sales quickly but in the long run I think it would have been disasterous. First of all people would be paying money for what is essentially a stripped down version of Arma 2. But much more importantly, all of Rocket's plans for new features, ones that are going to completely change the way the game is played, would be struggling with the drag factor of the game engine's limitations. He has a vision for DayZ, no doubt. Releasing this with the engine as is would mean enormous compromises, ones I'm happy to know that Rocket is unwilling to make.

Building the SA engine from scratch was exactly the right thing to do IMO.

I think it's great that Rocket decided he wanted to offer more than bug fixing and hacking for the standalone.

Because of the completely unorthodox development of DayZ, I think we have been granted unprecedented access, not only to the mod, but also to Rocket's vision, feelings and opinions. I can't remember anyone in the industry being so available and honest, both about the direction, but also about his mistakes. By some very simple mechanics, BI's engine, DayZ has created a new psychological experience in gaming, which have been such a refreshing departure from conventional wisdom by the mainstream, that people were willing to look past ArmA and DayZ's flaws, bugs and rampant hacking.

DayZ has certainly lost it's novelty, my main problem isn't really with DayZ's lack of content, but that no other game out there offer a similar emotional experience. A couple of nights ago I were stalking a few players near the NE airfield at night. I could hardly see and I assume at least some of them had NVGs, I figured I couldn't win a fair fight against them and decided to try to steal their truck. When I had made my decision and getting prepared to run for the truck, my hands were shaking almost uncontrollable from an excess adrenaline. This has never happened to me in any other games, but it happens over and over in DayZ.

Edited by Dallas
  • Like 13

Good post Dallas.

Rocket has set a wicked example of 'how it's done' or to put it another way ' Legit, and no shit'

Thankfully, Rocket is more concerned with making a game he can be proud of than catching proverbial boats.

Besides, if the standalone was just a slightly improved version of the mod, why would anyone who had lost interest in it pay money for it? I know I wouldn't.

From what I read on the updates, the game is going to be much more than loot and shoot. Even laying the groundwork for that takes time. The dev's need to take their time now because every decision they make now will impact the viabiltity of the game for a long time. The game needs more phases than simply survival and pvp. It needs crafting, base building and maybe someway to 'rebuild' the world after the ZA. I am definitely fine with wating as long as it means a more interesting game.

People are still uploading to TouTube, and we have cartoons and even short films based on this mod some guy made for a game released a few years ago. The interest is steady even if it is a bit lower than it was last summer. If Mr. Hall and rhe team build a game that gets good reviews, then the story behind it plus the product will get back the hype and be more profitable than trying to cash in on the early hype. Sure, the quick sales BI could have had before Christmas might not be so quick now, but the sharp cliff won't be there either if the product is not better.

Think of it this way: you can raid the tents for quick loot or occupy the town with a properly planned siege. Both have merits, but one is remembered more than the other.

nope, not at all.

I was going to write a long thought out reply but this guy sums it up.

There is only so much he can do about hacking, and it's already done. As far as bugs go, he can't sort out bugs with the new game until there are large numbers of people playing it. He's doing what he should be doing, experimenting with new ideas, not just fixing little bugs that have no effect on the game. It's in alpha, there's no need to be fixing bugs just yet, he needs to toy with how the game plays to make it better.