Sign in to follow this  
tripl_b

anyone else feel like rocket missed the boat with the SA?

Nope, he is merely thinking ahead of time and ensuring the game will live up to it's potential.

The only thing he missed was just how big of a hit DayZ would become and not going full out from the get go when he announced the SA.

Adding features ALWAYS comes first. Fixing bugs happens next and then the never ending fixing of exploits and hacks.

You don't just spend a month designing a "hack free game". It just doesn't happen by the stroke of a few keys.

If he spends many hours making the game "hacker proof" it will just be a waste of time. All games have cheaters in them, it's just a matter of a few hours for the hack makers to figure out the most suitable back door to use.

There is no way to completely stop hackers aside from banning them on sight actively throughout time. That's what good server admins are for and no amount of anti hack measures coded into the game will replace the last line of defense, the admin and his BAN button.

Nope, he is merely thinking ahead of time and ensuring the game will live up to it's potential.

The only thing he missed was just how big of a hit DayZ would become and not going full out from the get go when he announced the SA.

Adding features ALWAYS comes first. Fixing bugs happens next and then the never ending fixing of exploits and hacks.

You don't just spend a month designing a "hack free game". It just doesn't happen by the stroke of a few keys.

If he spends many hours making the game "hacker proof" it will just be a waste of time. All games have cheaters in them, it's just a matter of a few hours for the hack makers to figure out the most suitable back door to use.

There is no way to completely stop hackers aside from banning them on sight actively throughout time. That's what good server admins are for and no amount of anti hack measures coded into the game will replace the last line of defense, the admin and his BAN button.

I'm out of beans so you get a special muffin from me.

L

• Like 1

The game must have a solid base at the release.

* If you release a "AAA" title with a weak base, it will crumble.

- If you want a example, check out what happened to the mmorpg "Star Wars the Old Republic"

- Rushed for Christmas sales, in the end it failed and a subscription game went "free to play" in less than a year after it was released.

Let rocket finish the game, and please let it have a solid base to start from.

* Games that are not being rushed for this year are.

- DayZ Standalone

- Rome 2 Total War

nothing about it being rushed and you cant compare it to starwars lol

its simple the game couldnt be done in time to a acceptable public release so its being tested and worked on until its at a acceptable level for us all to play . all rest is bs marketing and spin.

basically all games have to be done for a certain date and time and in a good sales period when they can promote it well sell well. you really think rocket hasnt got a ultimate deadline ? you be wrong !

if he is indeed going away arpil 1st it has to be out before then no ifs or buts it has to be.

at end of day forget all love this and that its a business pure and simple. with games if you use common sense workout when its best for a company to make most money and then youll often find the true answers and not the marketing spin.

game will be as said out before april first or it will be dead ! why ? imagine everyone is still a bit stunned it wasnt out for christmas and eagerly awaiting it now imagine up rolls april first and rocket says i been blah blah ablah im off up everest and games not done :lol: people would rage and will rage like it is the end of the world . also the realisation that it wont be done for even longer will set in and peole will think hey wtf ? hes off up everest so what about the game ?

so as you see its simple its out very soon once the testing is done before april the first . if not get ready for the tidal wave of rage to hit here come rockets everest dissapearance :D

Not at all, I feel that impatient people are putting un-needed stress on the developers though. I'd rather a nice looking finished game over a buggy "wait for a patch" game!

Hello there

I wouldn't take the April 1st as set in stone. Anything could happen. It's more than likely we will have something to play with before then, but things do go wrong in the real world.

I'm erring on the side of caution perhaps a little too much, but even if the SA had to go on hold for some reason it would not be the death of the game. Yes, there would be a great wailing and gnashing of teeth but there would still be alot of folk who'd grab it whenever it was released.

As long as the dev's don't do a Duke Nukem, then I'll be happy.

L

• Like 2

tyvm :) (no beans to give)

nothing about it being rushed and you cant compare it to starwars lol

its simple the game couldnt be done in time to a acceptable public release so its being tested and worked on until its at a acceptable level for us all to play . all rest is bs marketing and spin.

basically all games have to be done for a certain date and time and in a good sales period when they can promote it well sell well. you really think rocket hasnt got a ultimate deadline ? you be wrong !

if he is indeed going away arpil 1st it has to be out before then no ifs or buts it has to be.

at end of day forget all love this and that its a business pure and simple. with games if you use common sense workout when its best for a company to make most money and then youll often find the true answers and not the marketing spin.

game will be as said out before april first or it will be dead ! why ? imagine everyone is still a bit stunned it wasnt out for christmas and eagerly awaiting it now imagine up rolls april first and rocket says i been blah blah ablah im off up everest and games not done :lol: people would rage and will rage like it is the end of the world . also the realisation that it wont be done for even longer will set in and peole will think hey wtf ? hes off up everest so what about the game ?

so as you see its simple its out very soon once the testing is done before april the first . if not get ready for the tidal wave of rage to hit here come rockets everest dissapearance :D

The game "FEZ" was highly anticipated during it's initial development but missed it's deadline not once, not twice but three times (and with a lot of false claims and debate inbetween) and it still because a very popular indie title in the end and won several awards and critical acclaim.

Thus, your point is VERY moot and there is no deadline what so ever. There's a lot of pressure to get it done quickly but there is no real deadline to speak of.

It's done when it's done and no amount of rushing it or meeting a set deadline is going to help development in any way.

As much as i want the SA TODAY, i don't want it at the expense of the future development of the title. We will get an open Alpha/Beta test when it's ready and we will get a full release when it's ready.

If you wanna cry foul over that then please just go away, you are hurting the development of the title.

In my day games just appeared when they did and we were damn glad to have em. I do despise this "teh dev's LIED to us!!!111!" culture that has sprung up.

It's not like us fans are under contract, nor should the devs feel they are by us.

L

• Like 1

The game "FEZ" was highly anticipated during it's initial development but missed it's deadline not once, not twice but three times (and with a lot of false claims and debate inbetween) and it still because a very popular indie title in the end and won several awards and critical acclaim.

Thus, your point is VERY moot and there is no deadline what so ever. There's a lot of pressure to get it done quickly but there is no real deadline to speak of.

It's done when it's done and no amount of rushing it or meeting a set deadline is going to help development in any way.

As much as i want the SA TODAY, i don't want it at the expense of the future development of the title. We will get an open Alpha/Beta test when it's ready and we will get a full release when it's ready.

If you wanna cry foul over that then please just go away, you are hurting the development of the title.

theres no deadline how do you know ? :rolleyes: sorry but you dont and there is a deadline in every project that is financially backed by a big studio . this game has a deaadline to be in public hands in whatever form. if you dont believe that that is your fault not mine. how am i hurting the development of the game lol i love the game . best game / mod to come onto pc for 5 years in my eyes but i dont fall for the marketing spiel like alot do ;)

the game has to be out before rocket goes away in some form its simple if you dont understand that that is not my fault . if rocket does indeed go away april 1st then it has to be before then.

theres no deadline how do you know ? :rolleyes: sorry but you dont and there is a deadline in every project that is financially backed by a big studio . this game has a deaadline to be in public hands in whatever form. if you dont believe that that is your fault not mine. how am i hurting the development of the game lol i love the game . best game / mod to come onto pc for 5 years in my eyes but i dont fall for the marketing spiel like alot do ;)

the game has to be out before rocket goes away in some form its simple if you dont understand that that is not my fault . if rocket does indeed go away april 1st then it has to be before then.

Marked your flaw in red. DayZ isn't funded like any other development title. The same way FEZ, after the studio that was backing that game backed out, wasn't financially backed for a few years in development.

The same way Minecraft wasn't financially backed apart from it's own income around late ALPHA stage.

You just don't know what you are talking about and you don't know how detrimental your attitude is. I sure hope Dean Hall doesn't read your posts and if he does he should just know that the Development of DayZ SA can and should take however long it takes and that there really isn't a deadline to speak of. Just keep up the great work and let us be a part of the testing, development and bug finding whenever you are ready.

Not really, just look at how many servers are being hosted at the moment. Number seemed stuck at around 5000 for the longest time, now it has broken 6000 for the first time. Sure, not all servers have people on them, but the game is far from dead.

Marked your flaw in red. DayZ isn't funded like any other development title. The same way FEZ, after the studio that was backing that game backed out, wasn't financially backed for a few years in development.

The same way Minecraft wasn't financially backed apart from it's own income around late ALPHA stage.

You just don't know what you are talking about and you don't know how detrimental your attitude is. I sure hope Dean Hall doesn't read your posts and if he does he should just know that the Development of DayZ SA can and should take however long it takes and that there really isn't a deadline to speak of. Just keep up the great work and let us be a part of the testing, development and bug finding whenever you are ready.

whos paying for dayz to be done in standalone? he has a deadline if you cant work it out just forget about it . everytihng that is saleable has a limited shelf life if you cant understand business basics that is your problem. noone is arguing about how greeat the game is it is awesome but it does need and will be out soon. infact bookmark my response and when it is out before april then tell me im wrong ;)

We should all sing that great song.

C'mon now, everybody join in together:

Que sera, sera, whatever will be, will be, the future's not ours to see, que sera, sera.

:lol:

Hello there

Aww you two. Group hug.

IMHO you are both right to a degree.

There will be the usual business "stuff" in place now R is embedded within BiS, but I believe he has far more latitude than almost any other dev in an "established" organisation.

Dayz has helped A2 make quite a few more sales and the SA, if anything is a Brucey Bonus to BiS as they certainly were not expecting anything like it to be part of their product line.

A firm hard deadline? I think not. I do think there are definite targets though.

L

When I was just a little girl I asked my mother what will I be...

Edited by orlok

whos paying for dayz to be done in standalone? he has a deadline if you cant work it out just forget about it . everytihng that is saleable has a limited shelf life if you cant understand business basics that is your problem. noone is arguing about how greeat the game is it is awesome but it does need and will be out soon. infact bookmark my response and when it is out before april then tell me im wrong ;)

BiS are paying for DayZ SA, Dean Hall is still employed by BiS but BiS told him to focus on DayZ SA where he was previously working with ArmA 3.

BiS are the supporters of the project and BiS hasn't put any deadlines on it, BiS are already making quite a big sum of money from the mod through sales of A2CO so they are already getting a return on their investment.

But the pay isn't like most AAA titles, there is no million dollar budget, there is (or at least was) no design plan at the time they decided to invest in Rockets endeavors. And whatever design plan there is, BiS only knows about the plans through what Dean "Rocket" Hall has told them. They are most likely fine with this.

DayZ SA is treated as an indie project with free hands, Dean is getting paid through his already existing salary. All the devs of the SA are either being paid through already existing salaries or they aren't getting paid right now. (voluntaries)

There is no need for me to "work out" a single thing, you need to start reading some more. And while people find it hard to wait for DayZ SA they will still most likely get it when it's out. It's not like they are going to lose interest in the game for all future just because it takes time. If that mentality where to be true then all games that miss their deadlines or are otherwise delayed would flop badly.

For instance, all Battlefield 2 fans DEMANDED a sequel. They got Bad Company... Many HATED Bad Company, rage ensumed. Fingers where pointed. Claims of DICE going down in the shitter where made.

But then when BF3 was released it was a huge success, major sales, great reception.

I can keep giving examples of business related successes for games of all kinds... But you have Google, you can start there and start reading up on the REALITY out there.

And once more, since i seem to have to repeat myself to you because you don't get it, DayZ SA would not benefit from a huge financial success.

Sure it would be nice but as far as development goes, if you start pouring lots of money into the development things will go sideways fast.

That's why WarZ is such a bad game, it wasn't developed with making a good game in mind. It was developed with a deadline and a budget. They had money in mind and the backers expected returns to their investment.

Goals had to be met, fixing bugs wasn't one of those goals.

As such, now everyone knows just how bad WarZ is and will find the wait for DayZ SA to be worth it as it will be released when it's DONE. Not a single second before that.

• Like 1

how you know what figures were discussed ? you dont ! you just read some article and swallwed the figures. googled some article .

dean will have a deadline a budget . like i said all marketing spin you swallowed it down and you hooked. blah blah battlefield no relevance here .

the game will be out before april 1st watch ;)

keep arguing none existant points meanwhile ill just wait for standalone before april 1st

infact rocket will standalone be out before you go away ? answer blah blah marketing spin not sure cause we testing (yes it will cause i been told it has to be by the powers that be )

rocket maybe head of his project but is he the man who says what is what = no .

Edited by dgeesio

how you know what figures were discussed ? you dont ! you just read some article and swallwed the figures. googled some article .

dean will have a deadline a budget . like i said all marketing spin you swallowed it down and you hooked. blah blah battlefield no relevance here .

the game will be out before april 1st watch ;)

keep arguing none existant points meanwhile ill just wait for standalone before april 1st

infact rocket will standalone be out before you go away ? answer blah blah marketing spin not sure cause we testing (yes it will cause i been told it has to be by the powers that be )

rocket maybe head of his project but is he the man who says what is what = no .

Ok, lets see come April 1st if DayZ SA is out or not. If it's crap i will blame you. End discussion.

" a Brucey Bonus" does anyone outside the UK actually know what this is, lol.

I'm trying to make it "cool"

• Like 1

Ok, lets see come April 1st if DayZ SA is out or not. If it's crap i will blame you. End discussion.

haha im too blame if its crap lol. such great faith you have in the devs :lol:

haha im too blame if its crap lol. such great faith you have in the devs :lol:

No, i just have faith in yours and like minded peoples ability to ruin the developers sanity. As Dean Hall has already expressed in regards to the mistakenly implied Christmas "deadline" that was "missed".

I won't tell you again... READ!

Edited by X0TCadde