dulix11

Night time should be toned down

I dont know where this thread should go, but anyways

I think night-time is too difficult or at least needs to be toned down a bit. A flashlight is somewhat useful other than the fact that you can't run with it or your character shakes it around like he has a seizure. Is it really that hard to run and hold a light steady? Night lasts forever and all I can manage to do is sit under a bush and eat baked beans and hope morning comes soon. I have not once lived through a whole night.

Its also too dark I think, its pitch-black. Maybe in the standalone could there be some kind of lighting system? Like when theres a full moon its more of a blue light rather than pitch black.

*Before you all say, 'Hmmm he seems to be complaining about the difficulty and he's crying because he lost all his stuff, we'll sure whatever, I'm not crying because I lost my stuff, I hardly have anything to lose anyway because its always night. I can get through a night with friends helping me out with resources, weapons etc, but this doesn't mean I rely on them. I know the game is meant to be like a survival game, where you have to scavenge and use tactics as if you actually were in a zombie apocalypse, but I have seen nights where I can see clear as day, but apparently on Chernarus the sun completely disappears with no moon light for 9 hours.

So if you have a problem with my statement, please don't assume I am a pussy who can't play the game. I play perfectly fine.

Thanks

• Like 2

"its pitch-black. Maybe in the standalone could there be some kind of lighting system? Like when theres a full moon its more of a blue light rather than pitch black."

i could not agree more

i have lived in places MILES away from any lights and on a clear full mooned night it never really goes beyond twilight

there is already a 30 lunar cycle in the game so they should be able to tie in different lighting to match. but that dose mean that some of the time it would be just as dark as it is now so some nights would be harder than others

this should also mean that zeds can see you better on lighter nights

i disagree that night should be shorter

but the torch should be steadier when you move slower but should stay as is when at full sprint

Edited by King Tubbs
  • Like 1

Night time is awesome and brings me back to the old fashin dayZ times ;3 i like it as it is but stuff could be changed i agree with the flashligh light could be more steady when moving ;)

• Like 3

there are 2 solutions....

turn up your gamma like a pusseh (this is the reason you dont survive the night people can see you in the night)

go on a daytime server find NVGs and go on the night server again

Edited by NeedzBeanz
  • Like 1

Disagree sorry.

I prefer playing at night. I love the intensity of it.

some of the best player encounters/firefights I've had have been at night.

Nothing ramps up the adrenaline rush and anxiety more than moving around at night.

Edited by Guyver1
  • Like 5

has anyone ever wittingly experienced a full moon night. Some of these are straight awesome as you can see objects, animals etc kilometers away. Sometimes the light casts shadows as if it were clear day!

And then imagine this as a winter-night with everything covered in snow.

To be honest i rarely experienced pitch black nights, certainly also because the eyes adapt to light intensity.

• Like 2

has anyone ever wittingly experienced a full moon night. Some of these are straight awesome as you can see objects, animals etc kilometers away. Sometimes the light casts shadows as if it were clear day!

And then imagine this as a winter-night with everything covered in snow.

To be honest i rarely experienced pitch black nights, certainly also because the eyes adapt to light intensity.

I've experienced the full moon, clear night sky nights, they're fantastic!

chemlights and road flares get me through the night when starting a new character! and starting campfires as decoys also helps. if i get sniped in the process then fair enough. night time enables creativity... so get being creative! nvg’s are nice to have but i don’t have a problem lighting up cherno with flares!

Sounds like a very good idea.. No it doesn't, some of us others like night. just because you think it's hard to play during night doesn't mean those who like it should be forced to play your way. If it's always night time on the server you play on, I'd say you are doing it wrong. Find a server that have the perfect time-zone that fits your gamehours.

This is an "issue" that is in the category that can be avoided if you are doing it wrong. Either adapt like everyone else and stop complaining or find a server that fits your hours OR go back to CoD or Battlefield.

anyone mentioned banning "nvg’s" ... i have a couple of characters equipped with them and some without, which enables me to play both night time scenarios as far as light is concerned. it wouldn’t bother me if they were banned and it would put everyone on a level playing field... and maybe toning down the pitch blackness a bit would encourage more populated night servers?

• Like 1

banning "nvg’s" would put everyone on a level playing field

DayZ ISNT a level playing field and its not supposed to it's evil and cruel so giving more players an advantage adds to the idea of the game

Edited by NeedzBeanz
  • Like 2

Night-time is ok... It just need a little bit bigger brightness. In night time you should see where you are going but it would be much more difficult to spot zeds, players than of'course in day. And it shouldn't be editable.. I mean "Day-Only" servers.. Night-time is part of game, part of surivalism. People just have to deal with it

Edited by Ladas325

I love playing at night and I've never had NVG

you can see quite well when the moon is out

chemlights are great for traveling on pitch black nights

and it's easy to scavenge at night since the infected can't see you from 100 meters away as they do during the day

Edited by moriak
  • Like 2

I'd love to see a level playing field for people without NVGs. At the moment exploiting gamma is almost as good as NVGs if there's a little light.

I really like playing at night, because it turns the gameplay up side down. In daylight you've got great distances, but at night, without NVGs, your entire world shrinks down to a few meters, at best as long as you can throw a road flare if you're brave enough. I love navigating at night, moving through a dark forest, knowing that if I continue north, I will eventually reach my next waypoint, which I've decided to be a road and the primary way of detecting the road is the sound of my footsteps hitting the asphalt.

If you know what you're doing you can travel fairly safely with chemlights and road flares, you just have to be ready to drop them and run for your life. If you throw flares in a town, make sure you throw 3-4 flares in different directions and always move outside the circle of light, using the light from the flare more as contrast, rather when being inside lite up for all to see. I also think flashlights work well, the beam kills your peripheral night vision and no one in their right mind would ever run with a flashlight at night anyway. It kind of makes me wish for collision damage at night, if you've ever been stopped by something solid, you'd definitely slow down at night.

My most vivid memory of flashlights used at pitch black nights and running, was in my service time, when we had to go on a night exercise. My teamleader needed to quickly get a spare set of batteries for his flashlight and in his hurry, ran straight into a pyramid of 3 sets of NATO barbwire and got himself entangled. When we was summoned by his screams, we couldn't see jack and we actually got by with the tiny blue lights from two G-shock watches, which just added a hint of contrast in the blackness, while we were trying to thread down the wire.

Luckily he walked away with only a few scratches, clothes and boots cut up badly and with a big scare.

• Like 2

wouldn't it make sense to introduce batteries for gps, nvg, flashlights? as mentioned in these threads:

Flashlight compatibility - Batteries, weapons, and more!

Batteries for equipment...

Batteries. For NVGS, Thermal + NVG optics, Flashlights etc.

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 1

There is a problem where people make things super realistic then others authentic etc etc.Go into a server that has a full moon at night and put gamma all the way up.This is how dark nights should get and thats that.....IMO of course.Out in open your good and can see things well but it gets very dark in wooded areas or indoors etc.This is perfect so you can travel and only need flashlights at certain points.Again adding in authentic and other times using pure realism has no place in regards to playing a game at nighttime.,......at which in realistic terms we would all be sleeping.

Headlamps as an upgrade to your torch have been discussed frequently. Along with the introduction of a battery life mechanic I don't see much need to change what goes on at night beyond limiting the gamma value exploit.

• Like 1

I love playing at night as it is now. Just make flashlights more useable and it's perfect. If you get used to it it is great to play in the safety of the darkness also w/o NVGs.

There is an issue with the engine though, the textures don't reflect light (eg, you are in a room, with flashlight on, but can't see anything which is not in the beam of light) if they could fix that and introduce moon cycle it would be OK

PS: they could also introduce being blinded by a flashlight?

• Like 1

I'd like to point out that at night the sun does completely disappear, hence the darkness. Also, in the countryside it is incredibly dark at night, try going into the countryside at night. In an apocalypse there'd be no street or house lighting so it would be even darker.

• Like 1

PS: they could also introduce being blinded by a flashlight?

God no! I've had enough of that in BF3, don't put that crap in my DayZ too.

• Like 1

I love night personally. I think flashlights should be worked on because they are odd.

As for the darkness, I think it is authentic.

I dont know where this thread should go, but anyways

I think night-time is too difficult or at least needs to be toned down a bit. A flashlight is somewhat useful other than the fact that you can't run with it or your character shakes it around like he has a seizure. Is it really that hard to run and hold a light steady? Night lasts forever and all I can manage to do is sit under a bush and eat baked beans and hope morning comes soon. I have not once lived through a whole night.

Its also too dark I think, its pitch-black. Maybe in the standalone could there be some kind of lighting system? Like when theres a full moon its more of a blue light rather than pitch black.

What tone would you like other than black when it's dark and there are no other light sources? Even NVGs wouldn't work in a lightless environment if they don't have active lighting. The flashlight shaking is a model problem, it might be a bit overtuned but IRL you would also shake a bit especially if you are 24/7 excited like in the DayZ environment...