DemonGroover

DayZ SA: One Key One Character

Your thoughts on a what if.

What if in DayZ SA you could only have one character (and therefore one name) per copy of the game.

I'm not actually suggesting this, but what do you think would happen if players had to choose a name and stick with it throughout their DayZ existence? So don't make a spelling mistake!

Would players garner a reputation in game over their actions. For example, you see Sniper_Bandit_LOL on the list so you know that he is a terrible shot and couldn't hit a barn door with a Double Barrel shotgun from 5 yards. You see DemonGroover on the list and you Disconnect quickly due to blind panic.

I'm not sure why i am asking this but it would be interesting to see how players would behave if their actions couldn't be hidden by changing names possibly every Respawn.

Perhaps in SA there wont be a way of knowing someone's name anyway, unless they tell you.

Like i say i am not suggesting this at all, just wondering what might happen.

At the very least a Leaderboard would actually mean something!

• Like 9

Sounds like a cool idea, would probably promote people to make more unique names so they don't have 200 Morgan running around and no one knows which one is the great sniper.

It would be trouble for streamers, especially the more popular ones.

• Like 1

If you did that, you would need to make a sort of clan tag system. I do agree with it though. One name per key sounds good to me.

• Like 1

If you did that, you would need to make a sort of clan tag system. I do agree with it though. One name per key sounds good to me.

Yeah i suppose that could be an optional extra you can modify and add to your name.

I would really love this idea, hopefully there wont be so many stupid names, i actually hope they do this ^_^

I actually enjoy swapping names when I please. I hate it when you have to pay to switch your name.

I actually enjoy swapping names when I please. I hate it when you have to pay to switch your name.

What are you hiding from?? ;)

I know what you mean though, i often change my name, and it would be a shame in a way.

Knowing the names on private hives already get effect on me.

Logging in, seeing who is online, effects in how careful i play.

Many people I don´t know or many I played alredy together.

Believe it has a positive affect. At same time I hate to be forced to same name for ever.

Not wanted.

Sounds like a good idea, but there's a game I like to play which I call "John Connor Chasey", where me and a few others change our names to T-888 Terminator and log onto a server which has a player called 'John Connor' (There's usually a few) and proceed to hunt them down shouting "Where's JAHN CAHNNAH" into direct chat whenever we find a survivor. Having only one name would end this shenanigan.

• Like 12

I never change my name, so I wouldn't mind if I was stuck with it. I don't believe it would accomplish much, though. Many people maintain the same name anyway, and most don't develop a reputation.

Sounds like a good idea, but there's a game I like to play which I call "John Connor Chasey", where me and a few others change our names to T-888 Terminator and log onto a server which has a player called 'John Connor' (There's usually a few) and proceed to hunt them down shouting "Where's JAHN CAHNNAH" into direct chat whenever we find a survivor. Having only one name would end this shenanigan.

Well that's the best reason so far not to have it. :lol:

Im all for 1 key 1 char (that sounds like a certain sick vid), as it adds to the realism of the whole thing. Picture this..............Im a bandit and i have 4 characters in dayz SA. I mosey on down to stary sobor and log out. I then repeat this with my other 3 characters. What is the result ???..........WarZ...................sooooo thats what i think on the matter :)

• Like 1

even though you're not suggesting this

i think one key one name should exist.

adds more "your actions matter"

• Like 3

I hope they dont have nameplates in the SA, and has for the player name list for the server, you wouldnt know which survivor was which anyway without them telling you

I can see the point of this idea, but the fact that you are supposed to die in this game and be someone "different" each time you spawn is somthing that irks me because it just does't translate (luckly :) ) because, well this is a game.

Here is my suggestion: What if you choose a surname that is permanently linked to your GUID/cd key. Then you can change your first name name as often as you like! And this would also cosmetically address my issue with re-spawning because it implies a "linage" between lives, rather than a reincarnation.

I know, its kind of symantics, but every little thing counts when it comes to immersion.

Edited by Hoik
  • Like 1

I like the idea, it would be quite a step forward in my opinion. Making you accountable for your actions to a degree.

Then on the other hand following up on what boxy0127 said, it would affect the gameplay of known streamers maybe too much. In general anonymity is a huge drive for the game.

I'm kind of torn between my opinion about it. On one hand the dispensability of your life in this game calls for some form of uniformed profile to be instilled on players. While on the other hand the choice to remain anonymous at your discretion is quite an important aspect of DayZ.

I would actually throw in a wild suggestion in the mix and hopefully get some feedback on it:

-What if other players could tag you if they saw you.

In dayz the avatars we have are extremely generic so telling people apart is virtually impossible, but in reality we have an innate ability to read faces and body language of other people. Very few people behave the same and it's not difficult to tell people apart through that. So what if, when you saw someone, where ever it was, you could add a tag to a player like: "bob_the_drunk" and then when ever you saw that players that tag would show to you.

It would need to be fine tuned to not provide advantage to anyone:

It would need to have a load period, so that you couldn't just scan a treeline and see tags you've placed, but if you follow a person for 5-10 seconds you could "recognize" them and the tag would start to show until a certain amount of time without line of sight would reset the tag lock. The tag would only be visible if you have clear line of sight of the target for a few seconds. Seeing a head peak from behind a fence would not be enough. And it would only show if you're targeting him intensely enough with enough zoom, not from 500m away while looking at normal zoom.

My 2 cents, tell me what you think.

• Like 5

I prefer it as it is now. Player ID tied to the game ID and your player profile can be edited on the go.

• Like 1

I actually really like the idea of one key one name.

sounds like a good idea,but as someone said,could prove problematic for the more popular playes/streamers

I like to have more than one character, I have different playstyles at times, One name will be Major Pain as I will go round being a nuisance, another will be Michaelvoodoo who is such a kind player and medic / driver type of play, both with different levels of humanity.

But for ultra hardcore realism, one character would give you something to play for, lots of different facets all rolled into one.

• Like 1

Sod, the streamers. It just means they'll have to be more careful. Many are profiting from it so let them work a little harder.

I love the idea. Nay, I adore it.

Years ago, playing the beta of Nerocron there were a couple of right buggers who were bandit/griefers and they became very well know and "feared", so, even when you got ganked by them it didn't feel too bad as a "Dick Turpin" type character had waylaid you. It became something of a badge of honour to be slaughtered by them. Like being beaten up by the Krays.

As others have correctly said it adds consequences to your actions.

Dev's please make it so.

Rgds

L

• Like 3

Would really be no different then most games we play today. In starcraft you are limited to one name per Cd key. Diablo 3 you are limited to the name you gave your character, of course the option to play another character with a different name exists. In wow you are stuck with the name you gave your character unless you decide to pay the fee to have it changed. Minecraft only allows you to use the name you registered with. The people who play All of these games are still capable similiar ways of trolling, immature act's or even racial comments/Curse words towards other players and being limited to one character name hasnt detoured it...

But then some games like BAttlefield allow you to change your name once every 24 hrs? Maybe a longer period.

The thing about the internet is people are either forgiving or forgetting.. You may be known as the asshole bandit running over spawns on the shore one day, but the next you could be the MEdic running around giving morphine and blood to people.

So I dont feel being restricted to one name is going to prevent people from being themselves