rocket

Devblog update: Where is the Standalone?

I'm guessing any legit streams will be a pretty big deal so it'll be easy to find them :) . There won't be any yet though.

Question that needs to be asked, and I'm sure it has before...

What is being done about how zombies spawn? Because as of now, you can use the spawns to see where other players are at... which is silly. I think this is a big issue.

Somewhat less of an issue, and I think this is being handled in 1.7.5, loot takes forever to spawn and doesn't spawn when you just hop out of a vehicle.

• Like 3

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Heli controls potentially being ported in from TOH yet, I thought many would find that controversial because it'll make life much harder in terms of flying. I love the idea though. Thoughts?

Thoughts.... how about "Oh hello ground... we meet again"..... I hated flying on that game, so bloody complicated.

• Like 3

well that would make the game ALOT more awesome... i am not sure if id manage to get full use of these controls, especially whitout a proper tutorial. but it looks alot more cool than complicated, so you got my full support in bringing this idea to the devs if it isnt already.

the moving animations seem to be alot more fluid, and there are alot of useful poses for each situation. i want to see snipers crouching, bandits do blind fire over corners in city combat, survivors climbing over walls...

keeping the fonts small, for not going toomuch off topic and cause fuel for raging discussions: there is one major concern i have: alot of these controls dont seem to work so well in first person. when you got such a huge amount of body control, you really wanna know what you are doing. on one hand, blind fire really is BLIND fire, in first person, on the other hand in real life, you'd at least know in what general direction you are shooting. there is absolutely no feedback in first person what your character does. if they would add such animations, i for my part would prefer third person, but then again exploiting might be the case, so i really hope they could fix third person so that the camera is only movable in directions in which your character could actually see.

as far as TOH controls go, i am more than happy adding the realism and challenge of flying a helicopter.

this makes a group alot more diverse, as there can be different experts for different jobs.

I for my part was the worst helicopter pilot, i always let my friend fly. another friend was a very excellent sniper, and i was the guy who was good at orienting, and i knew the map pretty well and was able to follow the stars, find water sources and such. together we made an excellent team, and everyone fulfilled a very special role, i want this to be even more extended int the SA

Edit: and good luck with these controls on a freakin console... there are not even 10% of buttons on a controller required to play that game...

I completely agree. Giving more moves to the character expands greatly the freedom, sandbox and warfare aspects of the game.

• Like 1

Question that needs to be asked, and I'm sure it has before...

What is being done about how zombies spawn? Because as of now, you can use the spawns to see where other players are at... which is silly. I think this is a big issue.

Somewhat less of an issue, and I think this is being handled in 1.7.5, loot takes forever to spawn and doesn't spawn when you just hop out of a vehicle.

Well, I don't know what I'm doing, but was still able to fix zombies here with a different take on loot here. I'm guessing it's just not a high priority and/or there is only a few of us out there who want these kind of changes.

Edited by joikd

Well, I don't know what I'm doing, but was still able to fix zombies here with a different take on loot here. I'm guessing it's just not a high priority and/or there is only a few of us out there who want these kind of changes.

Well the use of zombies as a player locator seems to be a pretty poor way of complimenting the mod, seems like a pretty blaring issue to me. I think part of it has to do with the peripheral bubbles that I don't think need to be there at all as well as the zombie linger time being too short.

Luckily for the SA they don't have to wrestle with modding the soldier AI. They can rip it out and start again now they have access to the engine.

Had a discussion a little while back on the topic of child zombies:

http://www.reddit.co...zr4bg/children/

Skip to the last four bullet points for some creepy ideas that wouldn't stir up any controversy.

• You see them in the distance. They always flee into the trees as you approach.
  • You get a fleeting glance of them through windows, but you can never find them.
  • You hear their little zed noises in your travels. You never manage to spot where they're coming from.
  • You do get in close proximity to them (indoors for example), but they run too fast to hit. (The game might have to cheat a bit here).

well that really is disturbing, and defenitely a decent way of dealing with it, but it could be annoying after a while, except if it is used as a warning signal for the player.

lets say the child only appears rarely, and when it appears that means that there could spawn more zombies around him and bad things will happen.

imagine how seeing the children is viewed as a bad sign, and people who know you saw them will stay away from you....

while my opinion is defenitely disputable for being very unrealistic and reaching in a meta-ghosly gimmick, it defenitely can be the HORROR hearing child voices, and seeing them on the windows and knowing that shit is going to get real... and not telling your friends about it because they will not want to risk their lives...

abandoning "childrenseers" could become common, and also a way to do something challenging even if you got super gear and vehicles.

i must say that if children are included in any way, they must be freakin scary and dangerous.

noone likes pesky annoying little dwarfs running around, i am sure most people would be more than happy to place a bullet in their head if they behave retardedly.

Edit: and freaking bind the chanche of seeing children to humanity! i think this could be a great way to represent the sanity of a player who killed alot of people... he starts seeing creepy shit, which might have negative consequences for him... like karma... and maby a higher chanche for positive events for good guys...

Edited by Wep0n
  • Like 6

looks amazing, keep up your good work.

everything that bugged me is beiing worked on. and im also happy that the textures got/will get dirtier or more post-apocalyptic

gooby pls, WarZ was never and will never be in any state of development a competition for DayZ

It depends, personally by the end of September, DayZ became basically unplayable for me in the form I wanted to play it, that is not on private servers and with more than 3 ppl. So I say WarZ provided real, if imperfect competition.

WarZ provided the promise of real competition until they actually tried to release it and live up to those promises, then it all went horribly wrong and it's been stuck in a broken alpha state ever since, even after charging some people $60 for their experience.

Anyway, we have another thread for discussing WarZ :)

• Like 1

Theres a few good mods for Arma (SMK is a good one) that allow climbing over walls and much more dynamic movement in general, I'd like to see something more like that than bunny-hopping. Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vklOq6KFQy4

A little over complicated because it's a mod but you get the idea.

My beans for this ! If this mod or the animations make it to the standalone i will be more than happy, the gameplay will be boosted to its max. And maybe you could unlock the animations with "firefights experience". You cant just wake up and have that advanced military expertise.

Edited by meik0
  • Like 3

Wow, am I late to the party? Well, I'll just have to party harder - wooo!

2m2vrte.gif

Great to hear more development news!

Edited by Hoik
  • Like 2

Looks like good news. Please, take your time developing a masterpiece of a game that it currently is. I'll buy it regardless if I would be in Closed Testing or not ;)

NOOO NOT XBOX =[ it sucks

I assume he meant the next xbox currently unreleased, would be a complete waste otherwise. Adding to his comment;

It's just basic maths really. Anyone in the video game industry would say the same thing, once a game reaches a certain point - the likelihood of some kind of console port becomes quite high. Cross-platform releases are about maximizing sales. I care about zero for consoles, personally. I have an Xbox 360 they gave me with my tv, I played for about a few hours and it just wasn't for me. I used to work at Sidhe interactive and that really reinforced for me I don't like console GAMES nor the DEVELOPMENT of them. But many people do, so I would personally not have anything against a DayZ console port - although I struggle to see how I would personally be involved in such a development. I mean, I really couldn't care if there was a current gen console port. Anyone thinking my comments constitutes news really bemuses me, it's seems very obvious to me: certain number of sales = console port = more sales?

If it was developed concurrently cross platform then yes, it would impact (i.e. Skyrim, XCOM). I would be, ahem, very unhappy with such a thing.

But if independently of PC, it gets released on the Mac, iPhone, casio wristwatch, tibetian-ceremonial-balsa-wood-entertainment-drums ... who really cares? 2012 is the year of the PC game, the console manufactures know it, and they need to deliver for 2013 and beyond. We make the PC standalone development the best it can be... and if that translates well to another platform, cool! it means more players, and ultimately more customers.

DayZ was/is made to be the game that I want to play, not that makes the most money. I don't enjoy console games, I don't like the controller and the lack of options they currently present from a design perspective. There's not really any redeeming features for me, currently, for a console that would make me drop the PC. I've worked in console development before, didn't care much for it.

Edited by smasht_AU
  • Like 2

About the "child models".

It doesnt matter if its cats or dogs... men, women... there is always someone that could pull can of beans in their nose about it.

Which makes me wonder, could there be wild cats/dogs to hunt to eat... something for PETA to start bitching about?

It will never stop, always someone will cry no matter what.

Just call them little men(not midgets) and make them looks like children, so only some male rights organisation could start hyperventilating about it.

So now someone is violating mens rights when they say they are children, when they look like one?

Please for love of god stop this bs, same goes with the recent or non recent shootings they have happened all around the world, not only in US and most likely something will happen again. You cant release shit never if you start thinking and waiting everyones mentality and how its WROOOOOOOOOOOOONG in many ways.. please, devs make it good... dont make its all fluffy and cuddly.

Edited by Zeppa

I assume he meant the next xbox currently unreleased, would be a complete waste otherwise. Adding to his comment;

yess but i dont like xbox, id rather it either stay on pc or go to sony too, because once it hits xbox, it wont go anywhere else but there and steam, mircosoft are dicks like that, just like with skyrim, still no dlc for ps3, sony isn't, like with bf3, ps3 gets the dlc a week before, but noo xbox has to have a whole month

hopefully they rework weapons and combat from the ground up. engagements should be kept under 50m with common place civilian weapons - military rifles should become ultra rare and truly something worth fighting over. ammo should be pretty scarce, too. make players think before taking senseless potshots

hopefully they rework weapons and combat from the ground up. engagements should be kept under 50m with common place civilian weapons

Really?

I think all hunting rifles have much more range than that.

Hello there

Whilst many weapons have a long range, actual combat very often takes place at very short ranges indeed. Often with many shots fired to no avail. On the flip side, once a person is hit (no matter the calibre) the engagement often comes to a swift end with one or both parties breaking off.

Remember these are average people, not combat hardened vets.

rgds

LoK

• Like 1

engagements should be kept under 50m with common place civilian weapons
I've hit rabbits at around 200m, unless your common civilian weapons refer to hand-guns? Because 'Murica

Forget about a console release once DayZ reaches a million sold copies. Go for a Mac release that is compatible for online play with PC players (i.e. Valve and Blizzard games).

Probably less effort and fewer potential migraine crises as well.

Edited by Applejuice

Forget about a console release once DayZ reaches a million sold copies. Go for a Mac release that is compatible for online play with PC players (i.e. Valve and Blizzard games).

Probably less effort and fewer potential migraine crises as well.

Macs target casual audiences. DayZ isnt a casual game. That would be a bad business move.
  • Like 3

I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back home, they're not much bigger than two meters.

L

• Like 6