griffinz

DayZ Standalone Discussion

I was thinking the exact same thing, how do you sell an incomplete game on steam? They're gonna have to be very careful not to promise something that may never happen and make it very clear the initial build is work in progress.

The safeist way is to funnel through Greenlight and go from there. Even then, they would need to explain what the product pays for I.e does paying for Alpha access also pays for full release access.

It's not the case how it's done but a case of will Steam allow it. My guess is no and thus explains the delays.

Valve has been in contact with the developers and love the dayz mod. They know what kind of game it is and they have been working directly with the developers to make the launch as easy as possible. (Paraphrasing from what I read from Dean) So I'm not concerned about Valve and all that cause Valve knows whats up. As for the delay in information, things change in the media world at a moments notice. I work in the music industry and I can understand the need to withhold information when certain things happen, it's not all that big of a deal. It's just the way things are. As for the standalone it looks and sounds amazing!

Personally I'd advise changing the name completely from "DayZ"

I'd sue the crap out of Sergy Titov.

I was thinking the exact same thing, how do you sell an incomplete game on steam? They're gonna have to be very careful not to promise something that may never happen and make it very clear the initial build is work in progress.

don't see a big problem here but the SA should have all basic features implemented...this means the overhauled map including eye candy and stuff, new controls, new inventory, new medic system, new crafting (repair) item system, new loot system, new clothing system, new weather system ? overhauled nights and last but not least overhauled Zombies,...if possible a few new goodies like new weapons , vehicles or items perhaps.....

however in other words ...a fully functioning basic game..updates and new contents would be additions to make the game better and not to complete it...

People need to give Rocket a break. Stop asking him when the game is going to come out. It will come, just give it more time.

• Like 2

I disagree. I'm not sure even Rocket has ever liked the name DayZ, it was never really meant to become this popular. Like it or hate it though the name DayZ is now a brand. A very recognisable one. Companies spend millions trying to get brand recognition and so far DayZ has achieved it without spending a penny on advertising. So far it also has a good reputation in the gaming world and only a shoddy release of the SA could mess that up.

I agree with Dallas though that the term "foundation build" may now have to be ditched. Gamers were already slightly confused about the term as it's not one people are familiar with. WarZ copied the term instantly for their Steam release and now it has become contaminated. There's many threads on Steam now asking WTF foundation build even means and many see it as a term that can be (and has been) for releasing an unfinished game under the guise of a completed and stable product.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 5

This is a story about how Rocket broke my heart:

At first my heart was doing okay... but just okay. Then, Rocket was all like: "hey Tilen guess what? You'll be able to play my super awesome game by the end of this year."

And THEN he was like ...

My heart is broken :( Don't act like nothing's happened Rocket! It's your baby too!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Tilen
  • Like 2

You don't sell an 'incomplete game' on Steam. My understanding is that DayZ 'foundation' is technically going to be a complete, and stable release (as stable as a PC release can be, in reality).

Think of Team Fortress 2 for example. The game we have now is pretty much nothing like the game that I played back in the beta, but the initial release was an extremely enjoyable, and complete game in itself. Then they added tons of new content/maps and expanded on it based on feedback from the community.

I use TF2 as an example, but I haven't played it since they introduced hats, trading and a virtual economy as I didn't like the direction it took.

They could just release the standalone as 'DayZ' and then patch in new content when it is ready and that would be perfect.

As long as the biggest issues with the mod are addressed, it will be all good. By 'biggest issues' I mean, hacking, duping, lack of enterable buildings, and zombies glitching through walls etc.

In time, I'd love to see much greater character customization (something as extensive as APB Reloaded, or Eve Online would be amazing!). I'd also love to see bushcrafting, bases, much more depth to the survival aspect.

What I want DayZ to be (and what I think Rocket wants DayZ to be) is a survival training simulator. Something that teaches the player practical, real world skills and knowledge.

Anyway, sorry for the large post, but those are my thoughts on things. I'm really looking forward to the release of DayZ, and I hope that Rocket understands that what he is making is genuinely worth making, regardless of all the twats he has unwittingly attracted. :)

The term "foundation build" was used by Rocket because alpha or beta don't correctly describe what it is.

With all the added industry interest they have to get the release of SA right, whether or not that means pushing back the targeted release date.

My personal thoughts are that allot of SA was going to be prity much exactly the same as the mod but coded differently to stop hacking with Cherno pluss added in as the Alfa release but I think the dev's have come to the realisation that they need to radically improve the game to make it some what more appealing to the public.

Setting up the pipeline for updates etc.. that was the beginning, but with the whole un named game derbarcle the dev's will be trying to make SA special and fundamentally different as they have promised and debated with the community many interesting features which well only one of which I know is confirmed ( clothing ).

I can only imagin what would happen if the Alfa release come out tomorrow and did not live up to what people expected a compleat nightmare for the dev's.

So yeah I don't mind that they are taking their time with the release as I know they will be covering all bases and making this game something special, hope the dev's all have a great Christmas and I'm sure we will all be greatfull and presently surprised when we receive more information on our much loved and highly anticipated game release.

Edited by zimsabre
  • Like 1

I really don't understand all this drama. I wasn't expecting a complete and done game to be released in December. All I was expecting was a DayZ with bugs and 'missing' features but without the limitations of the Mod. It was supposed to follow the Minecraft Model and release a basic version that doesn't even promise to be completely stable all the time. You'd be supporting the development with your money and for that you get access to the current build.

What was bad about the War Z was not that they 'sold' access to their so called 'alpha' and 'beta' but rather their shady tactics in promising things they could not deliver on, blatantly lying to everyone as well as thier overall bad behavior towards their community.

By keeping silent about things, not posting any news over 'official' channels and keeping the community uninformed I fear Rocket is going down a dark path and instead of distancing himself from The War Z, I feel, he is acutally putting himself in the same boat. What he represented to me was a stand up guy who kept in touch with his community, being open about everything. It seems this is now all over and it looks like the industy has finally spread its corruption onto our 'hero'.

Anyway TL;DR the best way is always to be honest and open about things, hiding and keeping silent leads down a dark path.

My two cents.

Edited by James Ashwood
  • Like 4

Hello there

I agree that there should always be a line of communication open even if it is to say "nothing's progressed" (even though there's usually something to comment on, no matter how trivial).

But, we have to remember the move from a mod to an entirely separate game.

The dev team may be under very tight rules/nda's etc we just don't know.

As was posted earlier DH hasn't been completely silent, but some folk may have missed his post/reddit/tweet etc and misconstrued that as no info coming forth.

Remember that the Mod is now under community dev and there are several .nu servers hosting new builds. So things are moving forwards there.

Now, perhaps DH is damn close to a release, but suppose there's a few issues with the build. Does he say YES! SA for XMAS! and then possibly have to delay again due to an unforseen bug? That would cause merry hell. Especially with the WARZ fiasco.

The Warz thing will have had an impact, maybe large, maybe small but it will have had an impact on the team. Perhaps pausing them to think about "measuring twice and cutting once." to make sure the media don't try to find any similarity of release.

Not the greatest example but you can hopefully see my point.

I've just woken up, so bear with me.

Again, I'm seeing the word "lie" crop up. AFAIK there are no "lies". Perspective is a wonderful thing.

rgds

LoK

• Like 6

so basically shut down a thread already about it to open another which will do exactly as the other did :lol: = genius !

anyway back on topic ... :)

the standalone ,

me myself and i are not really to bothered about when its released !

what i do not like though is devs responses in 99.9 percent of games in or on there forums. its like a politicians answer always . never is there a straight forward answer.

look in rockets last few responses on the topic when asked hes basically gone on about how he has had 20 hrs sleep , high blood pressure and other bla bla . sorry this isn't a soap people want to know about the game sorry this is his job there is stress with any job not just rockets. suck asses will be like yeah hes bla bla leave him alone give him chance .

look , it takes seconds to write a paragraph on here which would calm put people at rest on how /where and when the SA is going when its going alpha. that's thee simple truth. maybe all the business/spin is whats making his blood pressure rise ;) keeping things simple talking straight wouldn't weigh on him.

at end of day rocket isn't the sole person people should put the weight on though he is the "poster boy " for dayz . the business people behind it dictate how its going to start / end .

my guess is steam are like yo we want it for this date and whats the deal bro. steam will play a big part in this games sales.

remember this game is money not love like any other game.

so my prediction is now steam will want this to launch during a big sales period forget what rocket wants steam will say that will be the launch date.

so few months yet. january alot are skint so feb minimum

Edited by dgeesio
  • Like 1

so basically shut down a thread already about it to open another which will do exactly as the other did :lol: = genius !

Closed thread due to size, chum. Only reason.

L

I fear now that DayZ standalone will now have new hurdles and tighter restrictions in place for the steam release.

I don't think there is anything to fear

If they put DayZ SA up for Pre-Order and give us "Alpha or Beta" Access as a reward , you can easily avoid WarZ fiasco and since everyone and their mom knows about DayZ , the only thing that need to be in the description is "The Standalone of one of the most acclaimed mod of 2012 has arrived" , when game goes out of beta they can then list all the features it has..

Now that would be something i could see Steam get behind , the policy allow for refund of pre-ordered games , they don't like it and you are more likely to be forbidden from steam if you force them to go out of their way/policy to offer refunds to the customers. WarZ will most likely never be made available again until it can achieve everything that was advertised (before they edited it ) or hit rock bottom and go F2P

i'm merely making assumptions based on what i've witnessed through the years of using Steam , i could very well be speaking out of my butt as i often do.

1) look in rockets last few responses on the topic when asked hes basically gone on about how he has had 20 hrs sleep , high blood pressure and other bla bla . sorry this isn't a soap people want to know about the game sorry this is his job there is stress with any job not just rockets. suck asses will be like yeah hes bla bla leave him alone give him chance .

2) look , it takes seconds to write a paragraph on here which would calm put people at rest on how /where and when the SA is going when its going alpha. that's thee simple truth. maybe all the business/spin is whats making his blood pressure rise ;) keeping things simple talking straight wouldn't weigh on him.

3) at end of day rocket isn't the sole person people should put the weight on though he is the "poster boy " for dayz . the business people behind it dictate how its going to start / end .

4)my guess is steam are like yo we want it for this date and whats the deal bro. steam will play a big part in this games sales.

5) remember this game is money not love like any other game.

6) so my prediction is now steam will want this to launch during a big sales period forget what rocket wants steam will say that will be the launch date.

1) 1 & a half million of people expecting him to do something , something right at that . clearly he is overreacting and being dramatic .. right

2) yes it does take seconds to write a crappy ramble text on how the guy in charge should do his job , a paragraph would never suffice to put someone like you to rest , you'll want MOAR MOAR MOAR MOAR MOAR because you need MOAR MOAR MOAR always MOAR MOAR MOAR.

3) where did people get that idea ?

4) Steam doesn't speak like a 12yrs old wanna be gangster

5) Are you still talking about DayZ ? In my opinion , you described WarZ

6) Based on that logic , there would have been a big sale event at the release of these top seller games? Call Of Duty Black Ops 2 , Far Cry 3 , Hitman Absolution , Assassin Creed 3 , Dishonored , Skyrim , Batman Arkham

Maybe it's just me, but I don't understand why you wouldn't use your offical forum/website to communicate with your fans/community. Not everyone, including me, uses twitter or reddit so I've missed all those messages from Rocket. I kept checking the Forum for information and there is even that 'News And Recent Press' section on the website but nothing there except the whole debacle over the Hive Server being shut down.

And then I read this article about Rockets statement on the whole The War Z debacle on some game news website while I was keeping me entertained by reviews and news from The War Z. I had a few good laughs until I came upon that article.

I know I have been very quiet lately. So this will be really all I'll say for the moment.

I've been pretty depressed about the whole situation. From a personal standpoint, this whole "saga" of the development made me seriously question if I wanted to be involved in the industry and I gave serious thought to cutting my losses and not being involved in the project.

At my Army Discharge medical this week, they noted I now have high blood pressure. Some things in life just aren't worth worrying about. I've been getting hammered by a massive amount with requests for information about DayZ release, interviews and my reactions to this and stuff and such - but for my own sanity I retreated and have kept to myself. Right now I'm just at home doing bits and pieces on the DayZ development. The rest of the DayZ team is doing the same.

I realize that I went back on my word about releasing an update, but went back into my shell for a bit last week, and I'll come out when the dust is all settled.

When I read that I was like 'WHAT THE HELL DID I JUST READ?!'. So I hadn't heard anything from this guy in a while and then this... talk of quitting? I seriously thought I'd lost it and couldn't believe it. I'm sure it all sounds more serious than it really is, the written word always fails to portrait the whole picture. But I must admit I was pretty shocked.

TL;DR

Don't like the extensive use of Twitter/Reddit over the acutal Website. Just doesn't sit right with me. Why not at least use the 'News And Recent Press' section to let people know there is some movement going on.

• Like 2

In order to avoid the warz scandals that is happening dayz should be released on steam as a preorder with alpha, and beta access included as many others have said. One game I have been playing is doing just that. They are in beta and sales are going as a preorder. Don't Starve. Check it out it's pretty fun. That's the safest way to let people know that what you are getting is not the final product until "officially released" (making it no longer a preorder at a discounted price.

Closed thread due to size, chum. Only reason.

L

yet mods are still posting in it

and this thread got moved to "off topic" for I don't know what reason. kinda reminds me of the shenanigans on the forums of another game with "Z" in the title...