Hero or Bandit?

What type of player are you?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. what type of player are you

• Bandit
    • Hero
    • survivor
    • random zombie...

i have been playing Dayz as a survivor for quite a while. been helping a few people and killing some others. because of that my humanity is at about 2500.

now i realize that i never really cared about the hero/bandit. so i decided i have to choose one. so i want to know the pros and cons of both of them. maybe even a guide of how you play as a hero (bandit is way to obvious for a guide)

Edited by LawsOfFire

To be a hero takes massive dedication, and must have utmost respect for any human life, no matter what the cause.

This is proven difficult, especially when coming across those with high-grade weaponry, which gets your trigger finger itching.

I have heard of players actually just going around Cherno with tons of bloodbags helping those in need, and they tend to be unarmed so they don't get shot for having a gun.

I generally get gunned down when I do medic runs, unarmed or not. Still, it's one of my favorite things to post up in Cherno/Elektro and provide medical services.

• Like 1

so i quess i should drop all my good gear in a tent. go to cherno. fill my backpack with meds. join a high pop server and randomly helping people?

but what do i get out of being a hero?

Edited by LawsOfFire

Hero = Shot a little less, resistant to pistol body shots, faster movement speed, rarer (less people have it) and awesome hero skin.

Bandit = Shot a little more, hated by more players, nearly every body has it.

Go Hero

• Like 2

Hero, at least in Chernarus. In Namalsk, it's a bit more ambiguous. I've healed dozens of people and murdered dozens more, simply because it feels good to be the one shooting for a change.

In Chernarus, I've got some 20,000 humanity and a decent reputation. That doesn't mean I'm harmless though, poke me and I'll poke you three times as hard. I've only ever killed one person in 'cold blood' in Chernarus, and that was sanctioned and ordered by the party of medics I was working with at the time. Guy had it coming.

It takes a ton of dedication to do that though. More times than I can count I've been called to heal someone and find out they're an obvious sniper bandit, only to heal them despite my intense urge to plant a round in their skull. I definitely walk around armed, usually with an Mk48, but most people don't see me before I see them so I get around rather quietly and safely. If I approach someone it's on my own terms, and I've even managed to heal someone who was shooting me in the process, thanks to a timely bout of unconsciousness on his part. I hope he felt stupid, waking up to realise I patched him up after he put several AK rounds into my legs.

Edited by Askar

I would consider myself on the side of survivor/hero. I did the mostly killing thing earlier in my time with DayZ, but it makes the game rather dull to me, so I find trying to come across friendlies and maybe helping them out to be a more rewarding game experience, even if it is the harder one lol

From a bandit's point of view, although the hero skin has better stats, it seems rather pointless in it's benefits. Virtually no serious player uses the weapon caliber which the hero skin blocks, and I'd rather be wearing a ghillie suit than be able to sprint a bit faster. Although the hero skin will save you from friendlies, bandits won't discriminate between a hero skin and a bandit skin.

Edited by Parasprite

To be a hero takes massive dedication, and must have utmost respect for any human life, no matter what the cause.

This is proven difficult, especially when coming across those with high-grade weaponry, which gets your trigger finger itching.

I have heard of players actually just going around Cherno with tons of bloodbags helping those in need, and they tend to be unarmed so they don't get shot for having a gun.

I wouldn't describe it that way. Just be a basic everyday human and play the game realisticlly. If you need "massive dedication", you should see a therapist. Playing games the way you would in real life can be a big immersion boost in some instances.

so i decided to be a hero. so as soon as i come back to a "real" computer. i will drop my FAL in a tent and grab a cheap rifle. then head for Cherno

Also think you gain some movement bonus.

• If you're a bandit you gain 10% movement speed.
  • If you're a hero you gain 15 % movement speed.

That's just what I've heard, dunno if it's true or not.

Also think you gain some movement bonus.

• If you're a bandit you gain 10% movement speed.
  • If you're a hero you gain 15 % movement speed.

That's just what I've heard, dunno if it's true or not.

what i heard is that bandits get -10% speed

and heroes should have a bulletproof west that makes smaller firearms not hurt that much

Edited by LawsOfFire

Hero requires a load of effort, but can assist you in-game to a tolerable degree.

Speed boost, nice skin, respect from players.. I think it's worth giving someone 10 blood bags for these benefits. Whereas being a bandit also has it's benefits, it would take me a lot of kills to get my humanity to 0 from over 11 thousand. Overall I think they're pretty even, but personally I always had a fascination with heroes.

what i heard is that bandits get -10% speed

and heroes should have a bulletproof west that makes smaller firearms not hurt that much

Also just addressing this comment, heroes get a very minor speed boost (less than 5% I'm pretty sure) and bandits get a small speed disadvantage. They are slightly slower than normal survivors, but have increased aim stability.

Edited by Solitude

my quest for being a hero took a interesting turn. i ended up killing a sniper before i could help anyone. so im still at 2500 humanity...

Where is Camo Clothing option? Thats an archtype on its own. All the badassery of the hero/bandit skin with added ambiguity!

almost to a minus quarter millions of humanity.... :D :D :D

i am coming from your tears carebears

do you get more humanity by killing you ;)

I chose survivor because I have a sort of mixed playstyle.

I help people if they're genuinely in need, I kill people if they're a threat or have something I need, and usually just stick to myself and make sure I stay alive.

Heroes all day every day! They're what gives the undermining players the hope they need against survival.

my quest for being a hero turned the exact opposite way. shooting snipers more than i could help meens that i wrapped a towel over my head in shame :( . but i will probably still keep my self as a bandit now.