Tatanko

Hunting Reference Guide for 0.57

84c1Mxdh.jpg

(Credit for inspiration and much of the information in this guide goes to everyone in this thread.)

This is a simple, easy-to-follow reference tool for hunting and fishing in 0.57. The basic mechanics have not changed much, so if you're already familiar with how to hunt and fish in DayZ then you're good to go. This guide is not intended to teach you how, as there are plenty of great resources out there for exactly that purpose -- instead, I aim to help you locate and bag some wildlife as fast and easy as possible.

Important changes have been made to the amount of each kind of resource that you obtain from skinning any given animal, and in particular pelt sizes have changed. Many pelts are now much smaller than they used to be, which means it is easier for you to carry them in your inventory until you're able to acquire lime to tan them into leather. Pelts aren't the only thing that's changed, however: many of the larger animals now give you slightly less meat also. Rabbits, chickens, and fish are unaffected by these changes, however.

1AfnNVXh.jpg

The challenge with 0.57 is simply locating an animal in the first place. Trapping can be a very frustrating experience with a high chance of failure, so be warned that you'll need a lot of patience to find success in obtaining rabbits. Everything else that must be sought out ranges from very little difficulty to finding a "needle in a haystack."

Domestic animals are most easily found near towns closer to the coast, with the best example being Msta. In that town, in a fenced-in yard on the western edge of town, you will find chickens, goats, pigs, and sheep with ease -- what combination and number of those animals that you find is pure luck based on the server. If you're simply looking to harvest resources and aren't concerned with the sport of the hunt, then the fields around Berezino are your best bet for finding the common and hearty cow.

Wild animals are where the real difficulty begins. You may stumble upon a chicken at random in the wild of course, but animals like boars, deer, and especially foxes can be a pain to track down. Boars can be found in many of the wide open fields in southern Chernarus, such as the valleys around Kozlovka, Nadezhdino, Mogilevka/Vyshnoye, Staroye, and Msta. Ditto for deer. If you're looking for a fox, you may be relying on luck: they seem to be the most random of all, with no established consensus on where to look for them.

EI3xtlxh.jpg

Below, you'll find a listing of all the resources that can be obtained from each kind of animal in 0.57, along with a handy description of what each resource can be used for in crafting or cooking at the bottom.

Big Game:
1. Boar -- 4 steaks, boar pelt (2x2), animal lard, pile of guts, 5 bones
2. Cow -- 5 steaks, cow pelt (2x3), animal lard, pile of guts, 10 bones
3. Deer -- 4 steaks, deer pelt (2x2), animal lard, pile of guts, 7 bones
4. Goat -- 4 steaks, goat pelt (2x2), animal lard, pile of guts, 4 bones
5. Pig -- 4 steaks, pig pelt (2x2), animal lard, pile of guts, 4 bones
6. Sheep -- 4 steaks, sheep pelt (2x2), animal lard, pile of guts, 5 bones

Small Game:
1. Chicken -- 2 breasts, 20 feathers, (small) pile of guts, 2 bones
2. Fox -- 3 steaks, fox pelt, pile of guts, animal lard, 5 nones
3. Rabbit -- 2 legs, rabbit pelt, (small) pile of guts, 2 bones

Fish:
1. Carp -- 2 fillets, (small) pile of guts
2. Sardines -- not currently able to be prepared (can be eaten whole)

-------------------------------------

How to Use the Resources:
1. Meat (steak, breast, leg, fillet) -- can be cooked a variety of ways and eaten as nourishment.
2. Pelt -- can be tanned into leather using garden lime, then crafted into a variety of leather clothing and other items.
3. Pile of Guts (large) -- used as a substitute for rope.
4. Animal lard -- add this to a cooking pot or frying pan instead of water.
5. Bones -- used in crafting to create a fishing hook or arrowhead.
6. Feathers -- add these to a sharpened stick along with arrowheads to create a bone arrow.

NOTE: Small pile of guts is still not configured for any known use.
  • Like 30

I found a deer right next to vybor base in the mid of a plain yesterday lol. I couldnt shoot cause that would give away my position T_T

Edited by Alexander-Thunder

Thanks, guys! :)

I found a deer right next to vybor base in the mid of a plain yesterday lol. I couldnt shoot cause that would give away my position T_T

Interesting. I hadn't seen much that far north. Apparently I need to spend more time in the danger zone  :lol:

If you enjoyed the reference guide, I would love it if you took two seconds to upvote this ticket on the feedback tracker:

http://feedback.dayzgame.com/view.php?id=25732

Perhaps if we give it some attention, the issue of not being able to craft a leather backpack out of anything except a boar pelt will be fixed :)

Are snares working? Ive only tried it in .57 but i dont see an option for "set up snare" its only an option to inspect or disassmble it.

Are snares working? Ive only tried it in .57 but i dont see an option for "set up snare" its only an option to inspect or disassmble it.

Rabbit snares? Yup. They use a generic animation now too instead of simply spiking them into the ground like before. I have yet to have much success in actually catching anything, though.

Best place to find deer is in the fields between Veresnik and Kabanino. Best place for cattle is in the fields southwest of Berezino, near the car junkyard. Best place for chickens is Msta, that's about as much as I know.

Best place to find deer is in the fields between Veresnik and Kabanino. Best place for cattle is in the fields southwest of Berezino, near the car junkyard. Best place for chickens is Msta, that's about as much as I know.

Thanks for sharing, especially the part about deer. They are proving to be the most difficult to locate in 0.57 (aside from foxes).

Msta is the best place for variety. I was able to get chickens, sheep, goats, and pigs there in the yard I described above. You seem to get a random combination of those four, but chickens and goats are more common. I even saw a flock of three chickens roaming the yard together!

I'm glad you can confirm boars to be still in the game. I've seen all the other animals so far, but I've yet to see a boar in 0.57, which is very sad since my favorite backpack is an improvised leather one...  :(

The hunt is on!!  >:(

I'm glad you can confirm boars to be still in the game. I've seen all the other animals so far, but I've yet to see a boar in 0.57, which is very sad since my favorite backpack is an improvised leather one...  :(

The hunt is on!!  > :(

The boar was a very pleasant surprise. I have only seen the one in the picture above; never had any luck finding another after that. You better believe I crafted that leather backpack! :)

• Like 1

in 0.57 found only

two deer,coordinates  052 /113 and 087 / 095

one wild boar 040 / 089 - It's really a trophy on my favorite backpack  :)

NO FOX yet

this random spawn is great.need some reward like fox tail hang on the hat,boar tusks necklace or deer head put on my head  :D

• Like 3

Great thread. Hopefully it inspires other to utilize more of the lesser known resources in the game!

Great thread. Hopefully it inspires other to utilize more of the lesser known resources in the game!

Thanks! I was hoping my survival guide would help with that too, but after posting that I received a lot of feedback telling me that specific information for individual topics was also something that people wanted. So here we are with the beginning of the more specific guides :)

Tatanko, great job and the only thing the above list is lacking is how much tanned leather is made from each pelt. I know for sure that cows give 3, deer and goats - 2. The rest is up to more research.

Bones - I checked and yes, you can use the bone hook instead of the leather sewing kit for crafting DIY clothes. Best thing, the hook does not wear down, unlike the kit. I need yet to find a barrel and try my hand at dying clothes. Does anyone know where the barrels spawn?

I timed cooking and it appears that one stick burns out per 40 seconds while roasting one fillet takes 1 minute. However, you can prolong the fire in a funny way - simply split the sticks and burn only one at the time. When it burns out, the fire continues for ca 30 seconds. Add another stick within that time and you don't even have to 'blow air'. And it's not like you're super busy when roasting, splitting sticks actually helps to kill time. ;)

I checked the spawning points in Black Forest but no luck with the fox. Perhaps I'll wait with that for 0.58.

Another small fact - bones do not stack, even from the same type of animal, so there is that.

Also, hand drill kit works from other trees now, at least from those smaller evergreens.

Tatanko, I upvoted the backpack issue you mentioned.

Edited by Kirov

Another small tip: when making a campfire, harvest bigger sticks and 'split them into thirds' instead of cutting down bushes which hide your fire. This is why I always carry 2 stone knives, one is only for skinning and is always pristine, the other is for everything else.

Tatanko, great job and the only thing the above list is lacking is how much tanned leather is made from each pelt. I know for sure that cows give 3, deer and goats - 2. The rest is up to more research.

Oh, duh. Somehow I didn't think to include that information. I wouldn't know all the numbers personally, but I could very easily get that information from the game files. I'll have to add that.

Thank you for all the tips!

There is always a chicken around the well at Vyshnoye.  Always.

• Like 1

JVvMrvW.png

Found a Fox a few days ago in that area. Not sure if they always spawn there though.

Keep in mind that they are hard to spot because they are as tall as the grass. I guess I found it because I was near the crash site at Veresnik and was actively scanning my environment.

I don't know if it is a confirmed spawn point for Foxes but I found one there.

Edited by IMT
  • Like 1

@

Tatanko

Nice guide, especially the stats. thanks for that.

But what do the numbers on the map mean? If those are hunting grounds, you missed a few in the south. For example east from Progorodki (chernogorsk). You can find boars and deers there. There is also a deerstand. I am pretty sure the spawn of wild animals is "tied"  to the deerstands. Because I found wildlife always close to deerstands. Though, there are deerstands everywhere on the map. A peek in the missionfile would probably solve that question :P

Is there a reason why you limit yourself to only the southern part of the map? Or is the map work in progress? 

In the north are many good places to find animals as well.

north-west from krasnostav there are boars to be found, and i think deers as well. (Near the deerstand)

Around devils castle you can find deers.and boars. again close to the deer stands.

South-east from novy sobor you can find deers, and probably boars as well. deerstands

I think the north of the map as at least as much locations where you can find animals.

And yes, i have never seen a fox yet eaither.

It would be really awesome if they could control the spawn based on the hour of the day.  More animals at dawn and dusk.

Edited by JackWalsh

But what do the numbers on the map mean? If those are hunting grounds, you missed a few in the south.

The numbers correspond to major areas for hunting in that section of Chernarus. It's been my experience that the best hunting in 0.57 has been in the South, but as others are pointing out there is plenty in the northwest as well. I think it may be time for an updated map :)

Also, to anyone who likes crafting:

The improvised leather backpack will only ever use the boar pelt :( This is according to the ticket I filed on the feedback tracker that a few of you were kind enough to upvote: http://feedback.dayzgame.com/view.php?id=25732#c85969

Good post :-)

Thank you! Hopefully you find it help in your travels.