rocket

Consolidated Weapons/Equipment suggestions

NavyCuda has the right idea, work to make the game somewhat more stressful on the player. It makes people look like idiots when they think that psychological trauma are simple and effect every person in thet same way.

NavyCuda has the right idea, work to make the game somewhat more stressful on the player. It makes people look like idiots when they think that psychological trauma are simple and effect every person in thet same way.

That's where "mighty random" goes on scene.

Or you suggest to leave "humanity" just like the score table?COD kids love it,while everything is free and killing people by dozens is casual as brush your teeth.

I think even if you can "disable" emotions,this can't lasts forever.

DayZ is a hazard world,where you need to care about everything by yourself:food,warm,your physical health and your mind health too.You have to be responsible for all of that,and you got to feel it.Not only you can control your hero,but your avatar should affect you too,as hazard world affects him every time.

Edited by Answord

Read my post one more time because that's exactly what I said.

[...]

I'm talking about this kind of effect, not the emotions. You will have them or not (emotions) but there are things your body does you have no control over. Subtle things that can become impeaching at some point and ask your concentration and management of emotions IRL. The unvolontary reactions (body ones) can be treated with the proper medication and is just an extent of the whole damage model.

[...]

I'm clearly not talking about FarCry3-like stuff.

If trauma/stress affects every person differently then why are all the characters running at the same speed? We should include different bodytypes, with different abilities then, because hey, everyone is different IRL! And IMHO it's not a bad idea to have a different character with its own abilities and failures for each new character.

You guys think stress is purely mental/psychologic/personnal when it's a simple body reaction every character should be subject too. Same for cold and blood loss. You, IRL, do the psychologic/unsettled/trauma part. But you should be able to fix these unvolontary and uncontrolable reactions with the right pills/substance.

Oh and since I mentionned cold, we should include clothes.

On the other hand, remove the HUD and crosshair, or make some elements display only when it's necessary.

Edited by PlasticMonkey
  • Like 1

DayZ is a hazard world,where you need to care about everything by yourself:food,warm,your physical health and your mind health too.You have to be responsible for all of that,and you got to feel it.Not only you can control your hero,but your avatar should affect you too,as hazard world affects him every time.

This is the problem, because anyone taking the time to consider their mental health during the events portrayed in DayZ, probably are not going to survive that long. In an environment like that, where there is no law, where you can be shot at any moments time, eaten by your infected mother, or trip on a rock and break your neck, you are not going to have time to think about your emotional health. Unless you have the absolute willingness to survive, by any means, you will not survive.

In my mind, this whole idea of adding trauma and stress is a poor utilization of resources. The character reacting to physical injury, certainly model that, but any emotional reaction should be the player alone. I cannot word any more strongly my resistance to being told what emotions to feel. Certainly if my character started to shake, have trouble aiming or blurred vision spontaneously my enjoyment level would be seriously reduced. It's bad enough when I make a mistake and end up with broken legs, or low blood and blurred vision.

However, if the Sa-58P makes it into game, or the STG44 or the Elcan SpecterDR, my emotional connection with my character would be increased!

Edited to add:

Or you suggest to leave "humanity" just like the score table?COD kids love it,while everything is free and killing people by dozens is casual as brush your teeth.

I wanted to comment, that you're assuming if this was a real scenario that humans would behave differently. The sad truth is that they won't, and we have thousands of years of written history that proves that point. Even in the "civilized" world we have people who ignore laws completely, so just think what would happen if there was no laws at all.

I too want to believe in the best of man kind, but I cannot ignore reality, there are bad people out there who do horrible evil things.

Edited by NavyCuda

Defibrillator - I know not many people play together but to those who do this would be valuable!

If trauma/stress affects every person differently then why are all the characters running at the same speed? We should include different bodytypes, with different abilities then, because hey, everyone is different IRL! And IMHO it's not a bad idea to have a different character with its own abilities and failures for each new character.

You guys think stress is purely mental/psychologic/personnal when it's a simple body reaction every character should be subject too. Same for cold and blood loss. You, IRL, do the psychologic/unsettled/trauma part. But you should be able to fix these unvolontary and uncontrolable reactions with the right pills/substance.

Oh and since I mentionned cold, we should include clothes.

On the other hand, remove the HUD and crosshair, or make some elements display only when it's necessary.

It would actually be really cool to actually be different than million other players. I think adding small defining characteristics to each character would greatly add to the gaming experience.

Right, right, you can also determine that with your playing style. Adding things like running speed, endurance, precision (in aiming), technical skills, etc. would be nice. With good planning this system could be used to support more team playing, make banditry easier (considering humanity would effect on gameplay in some way) and/or help lone wolves survive better alone.

This could be implemented with little "extra skills" every character would have from a chosen list. Maybe 2-5 "perks" you can add to you character, but every positive perk gives also a negative perk.

One way could also be to introduce character abilities in spider graph and adding to one skill would make other skill worse. As in this example skills 2 and 6 have been upgraded and at the same time skills 3 and 5 have decreased.

post-67685-0-73436800-1351791626_thumb.j

All those nice models of magazines, wouldn't it be nice to use those, if the ammunition system gets reworked. If we have to locate both boxes of rounds and empty magazines. Nice animations for weapon maintenance and an animation for reloading magazines.

• Like 1

Speaking of magazines, I would want an animation for inspecting the individual clip already loaded into the weapon. I surmise that all real world ammo clips has some way for offering a clue as to how man cartridges are left in the clip..

Speaking of magazines, I would want an animation for inspecting the individual clip already loaded into the weapon. I surmise that all real world ammo clips has some way for offering a clue as to how man cartridges are left in the clip..

There is a difference between magazines and clips! Please use the correct terminology!

A magazine has the follower and follower spring, and contains the ammunition. The magazine can be internal to the firearm, or can be detachable. The magazine holds the ammunition and positions it so that the bolt can remove a fresh cartridge from the magazine and drive it into the camber.

A clip, is just that, a clip of metal that holds ammunition and often times is used to make it easier to insert ammunition into the magazine.

An example: The m14, you insert a detachable magazine into the bottom of the rifle. With the M1 Garand, which is the parent of the M14, you insert an enbloc clip into the magazine from the top when the bolt is locked back. The follower and spring are internally hard mounted in the M1 Garand. With the m14 you can reload the detachable magazines with stripper clips through the top of the receiver if you do not have an optics mount.

EDITED to add:

I wanted to mention that some magazines provide inspection holes or windows to make it possible to see how many rounds you have left. Some of these magazines need to be removed from the firearm to inspect them, others like the PMag with window can be seen without removing. The magazines that do not have inspection windows, would have to be removed and inspected from the top but you still may not get an accurate count. The weight of the magazine, however will give you a pretty good indication of how many rounds you have left.

Edited by NavyCuda

Lots of great ideas and suggestions.

I'd like to start with a wooden paddle, because I think it would be neat when you spawn on the beach to have a beached canoe which was your means of arrival on the island. This ties into an overall suggestion of getting a very small selection/choice of starting gear that you perhaps packed up before you set off on your voyage to a better place... but most supplies were used and/or lost on your way to this place. Also, this way you could also spawn with a friend as you both could have been in the canoe or whatever small craft you want to use. Personal story-wise, this would account for starting on the beach and not being familiar with the geography of the place. But I digress...

So then your starting weapon would be a paddle, then you go a paddlin' your way through the hordes of undead. Maybe the paddle would break after some use, and then it could be considered a wooden stake, which leads me to the thought that it would be cool if the melee sytem characterized different attack types basics on weapons:

- stabbing/piercing weapons like a spike, spear, knife, etc. These would be high damage, slower attack to jab in and then remove. One hit kill with a stab to the brain.

- swinging blunt force weapons, like paddles, baseball bats, wrenches, etc. These would be lower damage, higher attack rate with the swinging. Knockback and/or knockdown.

I do not know how the new UI will look like and feel that the devs should let us in on what they are doing.The reason is that many opinions makes for a superior product.From major things like functionality to less important stuff like the actual look of the UI.

I have seen a lot of weapon suggestions, but I wonder since we are remaking the inventory UI, how about adding in attachments for the weapons. like Optics, barrels, Tripods, Camo, handles, slings, and other useful items. It seems that everyone wants new weapons, and we have a butt load that are in Arma 2 but not in Day Z. If attachments are possible, this would really add a new dynamic to the game, without changing the core of the engine.

Adding sockets to the weapons and using the existing models and textures to fabricate the new models for the attachments would be a easy and very fast transition. The issue would be with the inventory system to allow for interchanging the parts. I have experimented with this a little, but my Modding knowledge of Arma 2 is limited.

After doing a little more research, I have found out Arma 3 will have this implemented on launch. This might be a very good port over for Day Z stand alone.

Edited by ustolemygmrtag

Whoa Rocket I don't envy you. I'd make some suggestions myself but, I don't think anything I got is worth mentioning. Anyway, Thanks for the hard work you guys are doing to get this stuff all sorted out.

Okay I can't resist asking for one thing... please make a true sand box. Add as much as possible for us players to interact with. Remember that not everything needs to be for survival... put in some toys to occupy the easily amused such as myself.

Again Thanks man!

RARES/PERSONALIZING ITEMS:

I think introducing some sort of "rare" items could be good. Nothing that actually has an effect on game balance (no rare super weapons) but small every day things that you are tempted to hold onto if you find. A good example would be the mountain dew, but even beyond that to essentially "trash" or trivial things like say a medallion or a coin etc. They'd have no real value except what players would impart on them. Alternatively for a more practical variant, different skinned weapons (no actual affect on them) with a very low chance to spawn. Things that you would want to hold onto, and if you were killed something to try to retrieve or run into later when you kill some one else, "Hey this fucker had my ring!" kinda deal. Maybe being able to personalize certain items as well, like etching your name/naming your axe or gun or whatever. I think most of us have found a gun we like and try to hold onto it through multiple lives. Naming your axe Zombie Chopper or something then dieing, losing it, and finding it on some poor schmuck a week later would add a bit more life to the game imo.

Oh and more revolvers too!

Edited by Bororm
  • Like 2

Mud maps (editable and mark-able maps). I'd love to be able to mark things I see throughout a map. Player camps, loot that can be of later interest, vehicles, dangerous areas, items you have hid etc. etc. All you would need is a writing utensil and a map to be made editable.

Would be useful to be able to keep track of what you see. Even more useful for the person that may steal the map or take it off your dead body, valuable intel.

Edited by Lights Out
  • Like 1

Mud maps (editable and mark-able maps). I'd love to be able to mark things I see throughout a map. Player camps, loot that can be of later interest, vehicles, dangerous areas, items you have hid etc. etc. All you would need is a writing utensil and a map to be made editable.

Would be useful to be able to keep track of what you see. Even more useful for the person that may steal the map or take it off your dead body, valuable intel.

I like that idea! You can also use that strategically. Kill someone, put your map with a "camp" marked on his body... and wait. Even better with booby traps.

hi dear com !!!

I'm extracting account because I think this proposal is very important and it is right realistically ...

yes, it will all be accessible only houses I find it unrealistic when all doors are open my suggestion would be that you have to break open the doors when you eg new begining just step inside / jostle ect. which of course is very noisy and attracts zombies and later finds a crowbar so it would be quieter and ultimately finds a general key which you can open all silent! So I think the idea is a must and I hope that it is read here and is implemented ... what you think of the idea?

hi dear com !!!

I'm extracting account because I think this proposal is very important and it is right realistically ...

yes, it will all be accessible only houses I find it unrealistic when all doors are open my suggestion would be that you have to break open the doors when you eg new begining just step inside / jostle ect. which of course is very noisy and attracts zombies and later finds a crowbar so it would be quieter and ultimately finds a general key which you can open all silent! So I think the idea is a must and I hope that it is read here and is implemented ... what you think of the idea?

Instead of a general key, how about a lock pick kit? Good idea though.

yes the idea is good I did not know the English word for lock pick kit I have it written in google translate: D

give me bean for my idea please :D

Edited by Karaman