venthos

DayZ Redux - DayZ purist focused custom DayZ Mod (Formerly DayZ DIAF)

People saying leave it as is are people who didnt experienced anything unfair with the actual system. I would of said the same thing yesterday before it killed me for nothing. Losing all your gear right now when you are playing legit is really frustrating. Even more frustrating than just facing an opponent who ALT F4 in your face. You need to change the mechanic otherwise lot of people will eventually get frustrated with this broken mechanic. Your second idea isn't bad either. Anything that would not insta kill you in a situation where you dont deserve it works for me.

Well, it seems like so far nobody experienced these problems apart from you and your friend. Which makes me think the problem might be at your end, not the mod. Maybe you did something wrong installing the mod, maybe it's conflicting with another mod you have, i don't know. But so far nobody else has complained about this. If there was a problem with the mod then surely you would not be the only one having it. I would leave the system as it is now until there are others experiencing the same issue.

• Like 1

Played my first game tonite...besides there only being about 6 people on, i thought it was great! no lag for me in australia, but got bored shitless running from town to town by myself.

Would it be possible to do what survivedayz is doing and replace the survivor and ghillie skins to standard arma skins? that way, no-one would be a blobby blur...just a suggestion :)

I, too, hope it becomes more popular. Once the server is consistently around 30-35 people at prime time I will open an EU server. That should balance the population out a bit and hopefully it will continue to grow. I'll look into the skin thing.

People saying leave it as is are people who didnt experienced anything unfair with the actual system. I would of said the same thing yesterday before it killed me for nothing. Losing all your gear right now when you are playing legit is really frustrating. Even more frustrating than just facing an opponent who ALT F4 in your face. You need to change the mechanic otherwise lot of people will eventually get frustrated with this broken mechanic. Your second idea isn't bad either. Anything that would not insta kill you in a situation where you dont deserve it works for me.

This goes for everyone, but keep in mind I am reachable via PM and email. I've already restored one guy who was combat log killed despite that he didn't intentionally combat log. I have no problems doing this as long as I feel it's not being abused. The person in question was calm, reasonable, coherent, and had a history of being helpful to the mod (he had communicated two bugs to me which I have since fixed). It didn't seem likely that he would be trying to social engineer his body back when he had helped report bugs.

This isn't a guarantee I'll restore everyone who gets a combat log death, but that's be benefit of a private hive in that I am able to mitigate some problems.

Maybe I'll give the clone method a try next patch, maybe I'll leave things the way they are and continue to listen and see if there's just too many people who get the occasional system lockup/connection burp that results in their death. I really prefer the current mechanic, but as you say it becomes self-defeating if it's going to kill legit survivors anything beyond a rarity -- as no one will want to play the mod.

I like this idea, I like it a bit more than SurviveDayz I think... not entirely sure yet. But I'm still playing in our own community so I'm not sure I want to divide my time just yet...

Anyway, I think the combat log system is a good idea. But the clone solution is way better. Restoring players works well right now, but if you are expecting the mod to grow and population to swell, you will have your hands full of people who want their stuff back. And with all the legit claims there will be a certain amount of blatant lies, for sure. So with a larger population you will have your hands full checking the data and deciding who will be restored and who will not. I'm thinking for your sake here :)

Keeping the in-combat thing but using the clone idea instead is a more rigid solution, it will still kill some players accidentally, but I don't think there will be as many accidents.

As for my suggestion: SKINS! Skins skins skins, variety is the spice of life :) Add every single little skin available in ArmA as wearable clothing, even seek permission from ArmA mos that add clothing to increase the variety even more. Skins and in game recognition of players is what DayZ lacks the most right now, so that's what I'm hoping the most to be added at some point. And if Rocket doesn't then just maybe I have to switch to someone else who can provide what i want... ;)

Great job by the way!

I've already restored one guy who was combat log killed despite that he didn't intentionally combat log. I have no problems doing this as long as I feel it's not being abused.

If you are willing to do this then this is good news, but how would that work? Will starting a new game conflict the data or you could revert the player using an older backup ?

Edited by FrankMawn

Since no matter what happens to result in a combat log you're leaving a body with gear, I would simply teleport your new spawn to your last suvivor's death coords. If it were in fact an undeserved combat log, chances are your body will still be there and you can just loot everything off of it and get right back to it. It'd be important to contact me before scheduled restart, then, as otherwise I can't tell if someone looted your body. Reimbursing gear that way could foster situations where a guy intentionally combat logs, has his friend grab the stuff/load it in their vehicle, and then he asks for a reset back to his normal gear.

I can see how people could abuse that kind of situation. I guess you will have to judge by yourself whether someone is trying to abuse the system or not. The cool thing about a private hive is that someone who cheats/exploits can quickly be spotted by the community.

Venthos, quick question does the M24 always spawn with ammo or does it randomly spawn without?

Reason I ask is I found a crashed heli just outside the NWAF yesterday and nabbed a M24 but it had no ammo. It could have been raided already but it looked untouched because of the amount of loot around it and no dead Z's any where near it or the airfield

In vanilla DayZ, weapons spawn with 0 to 3 magazines (and it pissed me off whenever a gun spawned with no ammo).

In DayZ DIAF, ALL weapons will spawn with 1 to 3 magazines. So if you find a weapon, it will have always spawned with 1, 2, or 3 mags. If it lacks any mags, someone took'em.

I wouldn't put it past that it was the guy who was posting yesterday about how he was going to probably farm heli crashes for M24 ammo ;)

I plan for next patch to include that randomization for heli crashes so it will no longer be a case of "Server restart?! Everyone run for the crashes!"

If everything goes amazingly well, I may have the patch tonight. But redoing the loot spawn mechanic from the ground up is turning out take more time than I had thought.

In the meantime, how about you guys post your wish list for new vehicle types? Keep in mind that I do not plan on adding any such vehicle that has a mounted weapon. I've got a few in the plans, but interested to see what you guys are hoping for.

Yep was reading back through the posts and seen that, thought I heard a heli last night.

Thanks for the info on ammo, I'm not too bummed found an M24 woohoo plus I hijacked somebody's badly hidden UAZ packed full of goodies so I'm very happy now. Just have to avoid getting shot or robbed now :lol:

Can't wait for the new crashed heli randomization, I'm fucking sick of finding them, crawl all the way over so as not to create a scene to only find there's fuck all there bar some empty tin cans and a bandage, not found a single thing of any worth at one yet. Fuck all you no-life helicopter whores :D

On another note though, I have found a Mk 48 in the barracks though and a ghillie, so watch your ass people, I'm now a bad motherfucker B)

Edited by RedNome
  • Like 1

I suggested it in one of my previous post but what are your thoughts on having a few more spawn points for bikes?

As it stands I make sure that there are always 10 bicycles up on the map when I run the vehicle spawner (currently manually run at my discretion. Will be automated later). How many were you thinking of wanting? Bicycles are one of the vehicles that I have the least problems adding lots of because of how they're purely a 1-man transportation.

I think one of the problems with bicycles is that people use them to get from the coast to the inner parts of cherno and just leave them to rust the second the find a car/truck. The bicycle ends up sitting in some random area for a long time with no rider (because most people that far in have a car/truck already). How about making it so that no individual bicycle is allowed to exist for more than 7 days? After 7 days, it is destroyed and respawned fresh at a random spawn point. Or, if it goes for 24 hours without being touched? I guess I don't know how many people actually want/care about using a bicycle as part of their day-to-day once they've found a car/truck.

How about making it so that no individual bicycle is allowed to exist for more than 7 days? After 7 days, it is destroyed and respawned fresh at a random spawn point. Or, if it goes for 24 hours without being touched? I guess I don't know how many people actually want/care about using a bicycle as part of their day-to-day once they've found a car/truck.

Bicycles are my primary form of transport :D

I play solo and have no need for a car or any motorised vehicle.

20 mins after my first spawn I found a huey at ( it's spawn point ), it only needed the instrument panel repairing and some fuel, but a chopper will get me killed so I just left it.

Last night I killed a guy after he got out of his car. I took his loot, I took the loot that looked intertsting out of the cars boot, and then ..... and then .....

I drove the car to a forest and I lit the fooker up ! destroying it and the remaining loot inside , of which there was spare heli parts too !

I sat down, lit a fire , cooked some raw meat that I stole from the guy I killed and watched that car burn.... im a bad man I know lol

When I go crashed chopper hunting I always take the bicycle. 50kmh on road , 30kmh off road. Does'nt need no petrol. Even had the bicycle 70kmh + downhill and to top it all off its pretty damn silent.

I love my bicycle ^_^

Sounds good. No reason to instantiate an artificial lifespan on them, then.

You would be the perfect persion to ask, though, about how you feel about the fact that bicycles no longer "auto repair" when you get out/in like they did in vanilla DayZ.

I was thinking this might be a good entry point for the Toolbox to be useful again. If you have a toolbox, then you can get up next to it and repair it to full. It just would involve the "repair" animation/delay so you aren't just insta-repairing it by quickly hopping off/on. This would only apply to the Bicycle (and then I'd find other uses for the toolbox as well)

• Like 2

Well, to be honnest I find bikes to be one of the most useful mean of transportation when playing alone. It makes it easy to go stealthy, good offroad speed, easy to hide aaand doesnt required any gaz. The server we used to play on had many different spawn locations for bikes (I dont know the exact number). Mainly in small villages and small random area. It would allow to walk for a long period of time and then randomly find one. The feeling is great. Considering how easy they are to break, and how hard they are to maintain, I dont think it would be a game breaker to maybe double the actual count. 24 hours seems a bit low. It means that if you cant log in for more than one day, you might end up losing your bike. Maybe relocate bikes that havent been touch for a week?

Loving this mod so far, I shat bricks about 10min ago when a helicopter turned up at electro and hovered there for a few minutes I even think the gunner killed someone luckily I think they didn't spot me in the brush and left and soon after i did before they came back. :)

Finally found my first bicycle on this server the other day, it will now be my primary mode of transportation as they are fast, quiet and they have a legit as fuck bell. Only problems with them at this time though is how fragile they are, the toolbox idea looks interesting and I think I saw a few pages back about some one mentioning "bike tires" .

Edited by cruze

You would be the perfect persion to ask, though, about how you feel about the fact that bicycles no longer "auto repair" when you get out/in like they did in vanilla DayZ.

I was thinking this might be a good entry point for the Toolbox to be useful again. If you have a toolbox, then you can get up next to it and repair it to full. It just would involve the "repair" animation/delay so you aren't just insta-repairing it by quickly hopping off/on. This would only apply to the Bicycle (and then I'd find other uses for the toolbox as well)

This sounds like a really good idea. We need more use for the useless toolbox. I know you mentioned that you were considering the need of a toolbox to repair vehicules and stuff, I totally support this idea.

Hey Venthos, I just wanna inform you that tent duping is still possible. PM if you want more info.

Well did some first try's on the server.

Runned all well for me, not that my surviving went any good, killed in Berenzino the the supermarket close to the army tents.

I tryed to use direct chat but nobody reacted, i played the friendly dude, killed some zombies running behind some woman character, she runned into my apartment building and stayed downstairs, though, because i saw she had a bigger gun then me, that if she wanted to kill me she would have done already, so after a couple of minutes it seemed safe outside so i went downstairs, saw her in a room, but i didn't want to kill in my first 20 minutes, so i run outside, well the bitch shot me in the back, i made it to the supermarket and saw her running around and try to flank me. stayed inside and waited her out well she came and she won the m16 vs m1911 battle, fair fight still little lame, letting live all that time when i was taking out the zombies :(

Started again a new character and try my surviving again :) , Lets see tomorrow :)

Wow,this private server stuff could be what we "purists" are looking for.How is the spawn rates in this server? I envision a Dayz experience way different than what Dayz is like.I like to think of it as realistic instead of authentic as Rocket says.Trouble is that realistic would turn many people off.Some ideas for my ultimate Dayz.

Use a pistol and then crouch/run.......This should be the normal travel speed and mimics jogging speed in real life of which a survivor would do to get around.This instantly makes me way more immersed into the world and I start noticing the trees/grass/buildings around me and feel connected to the land.When I stand up and run my mindset changes and I start thinking ahead so that I lose that feeling of being in Chenarus.Its something I learned from reading a car racing book yrs back.As speed increases the mind will start to disregard its surroundings and think/look ahead so to speak.By using a pistol(slower than crouch running with a rifle)and crouch running the world also "feels" huge.Suddenly the trip up to NWAF seems daunting instead of the still annoying full speed sprint it is now.Just going to next town is a hike yet its immersive and annoying which seem to compliment each other when I am noticing the land I am in.Try it yourself and see what I mean(if you wanna run just press stand and crouch to go back to jog).Makes finding a bike/vehicle an amazing feeling.LOL Its funny how I loved watching old Sidestrafe Dayz vids on Youtube when he first started.I now realize it was because he was crouch running and that immersed me and his newer videos he sprints around and I quickly lose interest.

Next is spawn rates should be reduced to extreme levels.A few nights ago I respawned in Chenarus at 5pm and headed north (crouch/running of course).This server I entered was very strange and I did not find a weapon for a full 4 hours.I mean nothing to where it was not even empty cans spawning.I got lucky that I found a few cans of food and soda but not much so that I was constantly worried.I lucked out at 2 hours time and I had a hatchet but no knife.I found a knife at same time as the Makarov at 4 hours in.What was strange is that I never have been so immersed into a game in my life.I was near the NWAF and figured there would be weapons there but not one in any of the spawn spots.And then I spot a lone person running out of a barrack.He had a pistol and I thought of my now reduced clip size of 6 bullets and actually hid behind a bush and just let the person disappear into the night(btw its a full moon server and that is great!!) ;)

This got me thinking that maybe all the people that say that reduced spawn servers would just increase murder rates never thought of a realistic spawn server.Where you find a weapon and its like gold and when your ammo runs out your screwed and scavenging for hours.This would change peoples mindset I believe to instead of a PVP server with rapid lifespans to one where people are alive for days struggling along the whole time.

Stuff like matches being two use items but spawn everywhere,maps with high spawn rates at gas stations and super markets,knives being way more common and food/drink way less so you need to rely on the land for food and drink.If you happen upon a can of food or soda though its precious to get you thru hard times.

Just what I think is perfect but most likely its just me....anyone else think this would be good? :)

Allie:

While it may not exactly seem like it to you, those stories are awesome. That's some of the stuff I wanted to generate with these changes. You aren't posting "Well, I tried to gear in cherno/elektro and got sniped." You had actual stories to tell about encounters with other players. You even said "legit gun fight" for one. That's exactly the sense I'm trying to get going here. More "story worthy" encounters that you feel you had a say in vs. click-death. As said before, I don't want snipers gone. I just want them rare enough that people are more tactical with them rather than watching TV with their legs up waiting to click 20 times at the elektro fire station. Sniper rifles are important to the game and are extremely fun. But I think it's worth the tradeoff to get some more "stories" out of DayZ vs. click-deaths.

wolf:

I'm trying to get out the next patch so I don't have time to fully respond to your post yet. But I'm not sure I'd go for full realism. But I am trying to make things "matter" more, universally. Whenever I get this next patch out, two major mechanics to the game should at least have a good basis implemented that I can tweak from there that will make things "matter" a bit more than vanilla DayZ.

i think personally that every vehicle should despawn when there has been no interaction with them for 7 days.

Some questions i have:

Didn't i read in the release notes that ghillie suits only spawn in military areas? I could be wrong though, i played quite a few mods lately and perhaps i'm mixing up release notes. Anyway i found 3 ghillie suits in Electro today. 2 of them right next to each other in the same building. Personally i would rather see them only spawn in military areas and downed heli's.

About downed heli's, i found 4 of them now on your mod. All of them empty. Well, i supose i have to be lucky that nobody looted them yet. But one of the choppers i found just 15 minutes after a server restart and still it was empty. Is there perhaps a chance that a downed heli will spawn with no loot at all?

Backpacks. I have yet to find a packpack bigger then the patrol pack (8 slots). I have been in Stary 4 times and coamed the NWA 3 times but still no sigar. They seem to be very very rare, or maybee i'm just very unlucky. Don't get me wrong, i'm all up for making looting harder, the bigger bigger the backpack the harder it should be. But i would have thought of finding at least a chezch backpack by now.

I'm with spuddy on the backpacks. I have found a 12 Slotter, but that is the biggest I've found, and I think I was extremely lucky finding it

because all of my buddys have failed to find anything bigger than an 8 slot, and that even took them quite some time to do so.

Also Spuddy, if you ran into a guy above Berenzino earlier today while you were driving a bus, We'll that would be me.

Thank you for not running me down, and giving me some AK mags. If you ever want to trade, or need help PM on here.

Also, on one last note. I'm extremely eager about this next patch. You've made it out that this one is gonna be quite the game changer this time. We'll all the patches have, but this one I believe you've made out to be the biggest yet.

Edited by Remus

i think personally that every vehicle should despawn when there has been no interaction with them for 7 days.

I believe that's the intended behavior even in vanilla DayZ. It will be at least that way for this mod.

Didn't i read in the release notes that ghillie suits only spawn in military areas?

No, they still spawn in residential as well just like Vanilla. But, I agree. They will be gone from Residential soon.

About downed heli's, i found 4 of them now on your mod. All of them empty. Well, i supose i have to be lucky that nobody looted them yet. But one of the choppers i found just 15 minutes after a server restart and still it was empty. Is there perhaps a chance that a downed heli will spawn with no loot at all?

Are you sure? The grass makes loot very hard to see, and loot can spawn literally underneath the helicopter and require you to go prone/wiggle like crazy to even get a chance at looting it. Even when I'm testing on my dev instance I sometimes can't find all the loot piles unless I spend a long time looking. There are 3 to 7 loot piles per heli crash as it stands. Keep in mind "loot pile" can indeed be medical supplies, an ammo box, military supplies, etc. Not always 3-7 guns/tools. The new heli spawn mechanics in the next patch will make heli loot even more precious, but there have and will always be guaranteed spawns at heli crashes.

Backpacks. I have yet to find a packpack bigger then the patrol pack (8 slots).

I've yet to find a backpack myself larger than a Czech. A friend or two has been lucky enough to find an ALICE. But, yes, this is completely intentional. Big bags make a big difference in survival and the ability to carry arms. Notice how much of a wrench it throws into everything without that big pack? Even repairing a vehicle becomes a bitch and a half without a big bag. I LOVE that it's no longer "get your free 20 slot, then whine about the not getting "the best bag" that's only 4 more slots". I hated that about vanilla DayZ. But yes, very intentional . You don't NEED a big bag to survive. But it makes a difference and you'll fight to keep it.

Stats of living survivors:

8 - Coyote (24)

12 - ALICE (20)

8 - Czech (16)

30 - Assault (12)

19 - Patrol (8)

7 - Pouch (6)

Those are great numbers and pretty much what I was looking for. An assault pack is all you really need to have some breathing room. You only really need Czech/ALICE if you're wanting to start storing a second rifle, which is exactly why they're accordingly rare.

EDIT: A tip on the 6, 8, and 12 slot packs, get the basics and head to the lesser frequented supermarkets. Basically, any supermarket other than Elektro/Cherno. For the 16+ slotters, they only come from military grade spawns. Deer stands, army tents, air fields, etc. Make it a habit of running to all the deer stands you can on your way to your next location.

Edited by Venthos