venthos

DayZ Redux - DayZ purist focused custom DayZ Mod (Formerly DayZ DIAF)

Hmmm DIAF or survival ops?! It's hard to decide. From the changelog here I love it aswell..

So, how do I know my GUID? DO I have to join a server and it'll tell or is there any other way?

Edited by voddler
  • Like 1

Can't wait to try this; I've wanted to get back to the "real" DayZ since I'm tired of these KDR CoD kiddies.

I really love the new revolution in this series of games.

I would NOT send you my GUID... i mean you will get it anyway if you receive me on your server.

I have no problem with you passwording your server, and i have to email communicate with you to get access.

Not that i'm going to go "your" way of dayz yet anyway.

Again i like the video, and i like the concepts and adjustment to the game :)

Keep up the good work, and good luck.

Edited by Allie

Will the removed weapons be replaced by more civilian weapons like the mosin nagant, sks, more shotguns etc etc? I would be fairly logical for more hunting and old military rifles to be roaming around. And it would diversify and make automatic weapons more interesting.

I would NOT send you my GUID... i mean you will get it anyway if you receive me on your server.

I understand the caution in sending a GUID, but it really isn't a secret thing at all. You can literally login to ANY ARMA2 server in game (DayZ or not) and simply type "#beclient players" into the chat prompt.

Every GUID of every player on the server will dump out. Here's my GUID via demonstration. I was not logged in as an admin, before anyone implicates that. Just a normal player. You can't spoof GUIDs. You can't "do" anything with a GUID other than ban or whitelist someone. For instance, the people who get angry at some of my posts can now pre-emptively blacklist me on their servers ;P But that's all they can ever do with my GUID.

In-Game Screenshot:

your_guid_is_not_secret.png

• Like 1

Will the removed weapons be replaced by more civilian weapons like the mosin nagant, sks, more shotguns etc etc? I would be fairly logical for more hunting and old military rifles to be roaming around. And it would diversify and make automatic weapons more interesting.

I wanted to get something out and playable, otherwise I would've never stopped developing... I have tons of things planned I want to do with the mod while trying to get this a "DayZ Purist" mod (not adding crazy things). If anything, I want to keep is as difficult/frustrating if not more so. As of v0.1.1, there's no new guns.

But, yes, I would expect some new weapons along the lines that you're saying. I just need to make this v0.1.1 is workable and that people are interested in it/playing it before I start back in on heavy dev.

I was going 'this is awesome' right up until your changes to guns and everything else below that...then my attitude immediately changed to 'totally not worth it'.

Why? Because your reasoning is well....shit. And your changes do nothing to support your reasons save for -MAYBE- removing the L85 and the .50 cals. And thats a big maybe.

• Like 1

sounds awesome besides I would NEVER give my GUID to someone on the internetz :P

removing dmr, m14 is a "no go" for me

Edited by straw
  • Like 1

Looks good. You should make it so you can loot peoples bodies while they are knocked out, it would avoid killing someone.

• Like 1

I will try it out some time next week if it's not too much hassle to get it going.

Looks good. You should make it so you can loot peoples bodies while they are knocked out, it would avoid killing someone.

You can loot their pack like normal, but I do plan on having the option to "Disarm" their weapons onto the ground (or just have it automatic). The only gear that wouldn't be accessible would be their main inventory

Regarding those upset with gun changes, I fully understand a sizable part of the community will not like the changes and refuse to play this mod on that basis alone. This mod is not aimed at pleasing 100% of the existing DayZ community. It's aimed at "DayZ purists" who are more in it for the spirit of DayZ then being a one man weapons carnival. Still, I wouldn't say any item being removed means it will never be in game. I initially removed ALL snipers before adding the cz550/m24 back in. No change is permanent, and as the community develops (if it develops) then I will make changes based on what types of weapons people are carrying in general and if things are too rare/too easy. But if you want to be running around geared to the teeth within minutes, then this is likely never going to be the mod for you. Sorry.

• Like 6

This is great!

Please don't try to follow anything Rocket was 'trying' to do with his mod for any reason other than you think it belongs in your own. Give credit where credit is due but make this bitch yours man! You have absolutely NO obligation whatever, except to give recognition, to the original source of content. Rocket has gone over to the dark side, where only money matters now. IMO he should have created a great game BEFORE he started going to conferences and rubbing shoulders with the leet game designer crowd. He should have stayed in Prague making do with beer and whores, working hard, but no, he had to travel the world with his friends, collecting groupies and sitting on nonsensical panels talking shit about shit. If anybody is getting that kind of recognition, it should really be the people who created ARMA 2.

I will gladly eat my words if the standalone is as good as the hype they are trying to generate/maintain suggests. I will not be surprised, however, if it flops.

Modders - I salute you. Keep up the awesome work.

One of the big projects I will be working on is pulling loot spawning from the client and moving it to the server. Loot will spawn regardless of player proximity and have a rigid spawning mechanism to try and curb gaming the system. Barring any major snags, I may be able to work it out this coming week if I don't play on the server much.

It's very doable, I just need to prioritize what features/mechanisms I'm going to invest in first. I'd love to get a player base going for some direct input. I'm thinking of making everything unilaterally more rare as well. Like I said, I have big plans for the mod. Most of them involve making things more difficult/fixing bugs/disabling exploits so that people are forced to play in the spirit of DayZ and not try and game the system.

Myself, 3 friends, and 3 others from the forums here have already been cruising around. I'd love to have more people play ;) Install the mod, try and login once (so your GUID hits the logs) and PM me for whitelisting!

• Like 4

Regarding those upset with gun changes, I fully understand a sizable part of the community will not like the changes and refuse to play this mod on that basis alone. This mod is not aimed at pleasing 100% of the existing DayZ community. It's aimed at "DayZ purists" who are more in it for the spirit of DayZ then being a one man weapons carnival. Still, I wouldn't say any item being removed means it will never be in game. I initially removed ALL snipers before adding the cz550/m24 back in. No change is permanent, and as the community develops (if it develops) then I will make changes based on what types of weapons people are carrying in general and if things are too rare/too easy. But if you want to be running around geared to the teeth within minutes, then this is likely never going to be the mod for you. Sorry.

Your reasoning here is once again shit.

I like how the sniper rifles and silenced rifles make you a one man weapons carnival but things like the M249 and the Mk48 don't. Riiiiiiight. You don't like the weapons so you removed them because you've been killed too many times by them.

You can say i'm not a purist and am not in it for the spirit of DayZ till your blue in the face. That doesn't make it true. You made perhapse 4 good choices with that list. Then the rest is you just not liking the weapons than having anything to do with the 'spirit of DayZ'. You're a fraud, and an idiot.

It's a good thing nobody is forcing you to play the mod, then ;) You're welcome to make a mod your way and run things the way you feel is best.

Your assumptions on why I removed the guns are quite wrong, obviously, but I'm going to turn this thread into a debate about why you feel certain guns should be in the mod. This is a thread to communicate the release and changes of my mod. If you hate the mod so much, then just stick to vanilla DayZ and your problems are solved. I'm perplexed why you feel the need to be quite angry in a thread about a custom mod being run on a single DayZ server.

• Like 4

lol @ the removals, at least you decided to do something instead of just whining I guess.

Quite happily testing tyvm. Can I suggest you find a good use for the toolbox (now that it is redundant in your mod), maybe fix a bike without parts? fix a flat tyre on a car? or maintain vehicles (fix the parts before they get red), that kind of thing.

Yeah I just realized that toolboxes are now useless in the mod while I was testing earlier today. I've tossed around the idea of simply requiring one to perform any sort of repair on a vehicle.

Interesting idea though for using it on its own to fix something. I'd be worried about it just being able to give "free" repairs, though. I could see "consuming" the toolbox (under the premise it breaks) for an overall increase in the health of the vehicle. (Like players, vehicles have a damage value of 0 to 1. Consuming a toolbox to reduce the damage rating by 0.25 might work. Tools wouldn't break so readily though in the real world, so it seems like it might be a weird mechanic.

I do quite like the thought of requiring one on hand to fix a vehicle. Combined with a bit more rarity and you'd have to protect your "engineer" (whoever has the toolbox) to make sure you can keep your vehicle purring.

Thanks for the input.

Definitely off to a good start!

I'm liking the list of changes so far including the weapons nerf. Hope I'll be able to test it soon.

Input: One of the things that annoys me about dayz is the act of switching from a primary to a melee; thoughts?

I played alot today and the main thing i can say is that the server is running great. I get great frames everywhere, whether in the city or right next to spawning zombies. The loot is spawning in quickly which is great coming from other mods for dayz where you have to wait minutes sometimes. Hopefully soon the player base will start building and we can see a little squad based action. Loving it so far, keep up the good work man.

Looks promising. Would love to see a bigger variety of vehicles and non-lethal helis if possible - flying is the best part.

My only worry about flying is making it trivial to farm all 5 helicopter crashes within 30 minutes of server restart and making it very easy to spot player camps. I want to keep flight a bit rare. I'm thinking 1 big chopper and 2 small choppers would be the limit at any given time. That's already well above the "1 Huey per server" limit of vanilla DayZ.

We'll see... I agree with you that helicopters are a ton of fun, though. A mechanic I'm considering adding is vehicle degradation to make it so no player/squad ever has a vehicle permanently, regardless how good they hide it. When that's added, I could see relaxing vehicles a bit. I haven't decided on the exact mechanic behaviors yet, but it would work by slowly "damaging" the car (the 0.0 to 1.0 damage value) as time goes on, and repairing things would not bring the damage below the slowly creeping value. Eventually, it just wouldn't come back after a certain point during the next server restart.

A new action menu item would be available called "Inspect Vehicle" that would give you a non-specific generalization of its status "It looks like it has some decent life left in it" "It's showing signs of major wear and tear" "It looks like this vehicle may give out any day now". The degradation speed would be long enough to make repairing a vehicle just as worth while (2 weeks? No idea yet), but in its final days you would need to scout for a new vehicle if you wanted to keep one.

I've got a lot of stuff up my sleeve, I just need to get it all coded out. Hopefully the server population starts to grow, as I'd enjoy working on this a lot more if people were enjoying the work being done. ;) So far, a decent start!

• Like 1

It's a good thing nobody is forcing you to play the mod, then ;) You're welcome to make a mod your way and run things the way you feel is best.

I certainly am welcome to do that. But just because I could, and am not, does not make you any less of an idiot.

Your assumptions on why I removed the guns are quite wrong

Possibly. You could believe the things you said as reasoning for why you removed them. If that really is the truth then good lord please tell me what educational system you were apart of so I can make sure any children of mine never are a part of it because god damn they failed at teaching you critical thinking. Making the logical leaps you do...wow...

, obviously, but I'm going to turn this thread into a debate about why you feel certain guns should be in the mod.

It has nothing to do with what guns I feel should or should not be in the mod. Has a lot to do with you posting complete horseshit as a reasoning. Thats the long and short of it. Your stated reasoning -maybe- justifies 4 of those guns. -maybe-. But your lack of being able to defend the position, and your half assed reasons which don't make any sense when you look at them critically for 10 seconds tells me this is going no where good. Hence my decision not to play it for now.

This is a thread to communicate the release and changes of my mod. If you hate the mod so much, then just stick to vanilla DayZ and your problems are solved. I'm perplexed why you feel the need to be quite angry in a thread about a custom mod being run on a single DayZ server.

I do not hate the mod, nor am I angry. I know it may seem that way, but it couldn't be farther from the truth. Once more I liked a lot of your changes. Just about all of them right until you showed me that this mod is less about your stated goals and more about making yourself feel better. Everything I read down to that point I was excited about pretty much. Maybe not the no backpack on spawn thing(i'd get used to it), or the ripe for griefing anti-alt-f4 thing (but hey you're trying to do something about that). So to me it was a potentially great version of DayZ ruined by either outright lies from you regarding why you made the weapons changes, or by really bad logic/lack of logic overall. Because really that tells me I couldn't trust you to make decent decisions, or at least avoid bad ones.

So I do not hate the mod. I'm not angry at it. Am I disappointed? Do I think you're an idiot at best? Both true. You could have had a truelly great thing here...

Wow, how can you call someone an idiot when they are working hard to bring something to people the way they envision it? Just because you don't agree with their way of thinking or their design choices doesn't give you the right to insult someone. I respect the fact that you are entitled to your opinion, and I'm not condemning you for expressing it, but there is no need for insults.