Sign in to follow this  
zinny50

Nice guys finish last.

Sometimes I think I'm too trusting and nice to other survivors I meet. I haven't died from a zombie since I first started playing a few weeks back, all my deaths have been player related and most of those player related deaths are because of my trusting nature. I can't even count how many times I've helped someone else out only to take a bullet to the head when I'm not looking.

Today for instance, I was running around the outskirts of Cherno, avoiding a sniper and grabbing as much loot as I can. Anyway, I started exploring an old construction site for something a little better than my double barrelled shotgun when a player passes by me. I could have easily shot him but I told him I was friendly and he did the same. He went into the construction building and I continued what I was doing. "Hey man, you got any food and water my icons are flashing" he said, I of course said yes and offered him some. We met in the middle of a construction building where he had another player standing beside him holding a lee enfield. I asked if he was his friend, and told me that he was and that he was friendly. They asked me to just drop the supplies so I did, I was in the middle of dropping a can of baked beans when a shot is fired. It connected with my head and I fell unconscious confused about what happened. They stood over my body laughing and spewing insults at me. My timer finally ended and I began to regain consciousness only to have a bullet put into my head delivering the final blow.

Stuff like this happens all the time. I've tried just to kill people on sight but I always give in and give them the benefit of the doubt. I just don't enjoy killing people, the only time I'll ever take a shot at someone is if they're a bandit. I'm seriously fucked when they remove the bandit skins, guess I'm going to have to adapt to a new philosophy. Shoot first, as questions later.

Edited by zinny50
  • Like 3

well, for some reason, a lot of children play this game. but fear not. when the real life apocalypse comes, a-holes like that get mauled on like the first day.

• Like 3

Shoot on sight, bro. All new people trust too much, but really, it don't work!

And just so you know, don't even stay down south. Head north immediately!

Well they're not all bad, you may just be a bad judge of character. I was far up north, (relatively) well geared in the middle of nowhere, and a guy snuck up on me while I was pitching a tent. I had way better gear than him and figured he was about to shoot me while my guns were away. Turns out he was a very trustworthy guy and we ended up coop-ing instead. Now on steam friends.

Kill em all, let god sort em out... are wise words. EVERY time i try and be nice it gets me killed. If they arnt in your TS or vent chaneel, they are the enemy.

I used to try and team up with people, but I got killed too many times and now I just fly solo and shoot anything that moves. I guess now Im one of the asshole majority but hey what are you going to do?

Lololol trusting someone else with your video-game "life" is like trusting a crack addict to guard the local police stations crack safe. It's fucking retarded.

Ah we all start that way, You'll start just shooting on site at some point.

been playing since july, haven't killed anyone yet. there are plenty of "shoot on sight" bandits, but there are some decent people. just be cautious. if you spot them first, follow them a bit from a distance and see what they are about. if not, talk to them. you will get killed sometimes this way, but you'll make some great random contacts that the bandits never get to enjoy.

• Like 1

IF YOU WANT TO LIVE COME WITH ME

2zeh0lt.jpg

The only two things you can really trust in DayZ is:

#1 People can't shoot you, when there's solid cover between you.

#2 People can't shoot accurately and run at the same time.

Whenever you meet someone, take cover.

Whenever you talk to someone, do it from behind cover.

Always be ready to run, always be aware of escape routes.

Players who doesn't make great effort to always point their weapon away from at you, are either dangerously negligent, doesn't care much about your safety or are actively conspiring against you. So never apply medical aid to anyone threatening you. Players pointing the muzzle in your face is either a small accident or a tiny change at heart away from pulling the trigger.

Whenever you're talking to another survivor always remember there's a distinct difference between what you want to hear and what you're really hearing. So small talk for a while and pay attention to the answers. If you don't hear 100% friendliness or if you get the feeling of you being rediculed, get in cover, say "good luck" and get away as safely as possible.

Lastly anyone who robs you at gunpoint, expect you trying to revenge it as soon as you can and they will often kill you, after they get tired of toying with you. Instead of waiting to get shot on your knees, as soon as they show hostile intent, just flat out run. Zig-zag and place as many obstacles between you and the shooter. They can't shoot unless they stop running or aim accurately. If you keep moving fast and unpredictable, everytime they try to shoot, you increase the distance and your chances of surviving.

• Like 3

Being friendly to other players and working out if they are friendly is an art in itself.

Ignore all these people who say shoot on sight.

Situations like these are why we send one guy in if we have no choice but the make contact (maybe theres a couple of guys in the hospital and one of our people needs a blood pack badly)

He goes in and makes contact. And as soon as any shots are fired, they all get some nice sniper rounds to the face, never knowing what hit them.

Or you can do what I do and observe from a distance,

The other day I saw two guys get themselves trapped in the apartments in cherno as one had fired a lee enfield (they were noobs)

I moved up to see if I could help them with my DMR (by move up, I mean move about 100m closer from 1000m away)

When a guy with an M4 starts sprinting towards their position, he throws a grenade and mows down the zombies and the people come out after about 5mins (I guess they were talking, he teams up with them and they head off into the woods, so now you know both sides there were friendly)

I tried to catch up and keep these gusy safe, but I lost connection while trailing them through the woods (I had NV goggles, L85 as well as DMR at night, they had nothing :) )

If you see someone under fire who is calling friendly, go help them out, you have to learn the behaviours of people and learn who are bandits and who are just out to survive.

Its easy once you see the habits of people in this game

Always have an escape route, and you are better off finding a friendly group to roll with, that way when you are forced to make contact you pretend you are alone and make them think they have the advantage and if they are trully friendly you will know in minutes, even a simple food swap can raise some hope in humanity.

And if they do shoot you and gloat, the rest of your team can make swift work of them via sniping or any number of other tactics (placing a sactal charge at your feet while pretending to eat is also a good one, make sure your near some loot piles and it blends in, have it ready to blow and if your shot you should have just enough time to let it off)

Edited by Regulator Lone Warrior
  • Like 2

I can't handle shooting on sight, because the one time I killed someone, it profoundly affected me. Never give in to the bitterness generated by Shoot on Sight losers.

One good experience is worth all the bad ones in this game.

Also, it really helps if you enjoy the beginning of the game, running through Cherno, gearing up, etc., since you'll be doing it quite a bit.

All you guys are riddled with severe autisim

How bad can your social skills be if you avoid and shoot other players no matter what, and avoid all contact.

Not just shooting on sight definitely decreases your odds of survival, but you shouldn't just mindlessly kill everyone you see.

Often times you can force someone to be friendly by screaming with a large assault rifle pointed at them, preferably aimed for the head. In this situation, most people reconsider and suddenly feel very outgoing and friendly.

• Like 2

If you can't avoid people, make sure you see them first and they do not see you. All problems solved.

Often times you can force someone to be friendly by screaming with a large assault rifle pointed at them, preferably aimed for the head. In this situation, most people reconsider and suddenly feel very outgoing and friendly.

"Say hello to my little friend" is an appropriate line when you point said gun at their head. It shows you want to facilitate the making of friendships :D

I remember when I started and felt like being friendly is the way to go. I was fucking wrong! Not to say I haven't found a few good friends but it's a 90/10 bad to good ratio out there in terms of random friendly's.

I have let unarmed people run to my hiding place and I tell them 'you can grab the guns but as soon as you grab them you run like hell away from me, don't look for me or I will kill you.' I feel that is the only way to survive because simply being friendly will get me killed.

When I start from fresh and have nothing to lose I make the most friends because I don't care that I die, but as soon as I get a decent weapon I become a bushman. It's a shame :(

Just like in real life, Never let another mans personality change yours. Keep being friendly it WILL pay off, hell maybe you'll run into me one day.

I picked up the good deed routine again.

You cannot trust anyone. But you keep trying.

Instead of passing around bloodbags like a crazed man, I give cows.. medium rare.

Blood transfusion can be tasty.

How bad can your social skills be if you avoid and shoot other players no matter what, and avoid all contact.

Developed social skills = shoot on sight?

• Like 1

Working with voice ingame is a really good way to approach someone without having to get really close.

I suppose the lack of facial expression and social factors it is hard to trust people.

The real person may be faking a friendly gesture, but in the end you get your face owned by a troll.

The best way is to shoot on sight if you want to live. But if you want to make friends, you need to take your chances.

It's the way the mod has evolved... people got paranoid, started shooting other people, then they got paranoid... chain goes on till no one can be trusted...

It's the way the mod has evolved... people got paranoid, started shooting other people, then they got paranoid... chain goes on till no one can be trusted...

I'm to be trusted, whitelisted medics are to be trusted, lots of people are to be trusted. The trick is in order to meet trust, you must take a leap of faith, but nothing breeds trust as well as breaking line of fire.

If two friendlies are seperated by a shelf in the supermarket, it's harder to get killed and easier to exchange a few kind words. If the other player is talkative, showing a minimum of courtesey and you're not carrying mountains of top tier gear to provoke jealousy, you're increasing the chance of an short friendly experince in an unfreidly world. However if you shoot anyone on sight, because you're affriad someone wants to steal your makaroni and starter backpack, maybe you're missing out of an alternative aspect of this mod. Some might even consider this aspect, what made the different, making this mod standout from the already done to death zombie genere.

Edited by Dallas

Just like in real life, Never let another mans personality change yours. Keep being friendly it WILL pay off, hell maybe you'll run into me one day.

Yeah to be honest whenever I see a guy with a gun from afar... whenever I aim at him.. I can't really squeeze the trigger you know? Especially when there's other guys shooting at him. I can only hope when I help him.. it'll pay off.