rocket

20 words or less: Super-Low Humanity Detection

NO

Remember that playing long enough, you will have to defend yourself, and that goes into the humanity aswell.. so i can fend off bandits, and thus be punished?

Imagine Real life: Bandits get some skins//a louder heart ? NO. Keep like now. Keep realism plz !

Maybe

I think there can be better ways, although I can't think of any atm.

NO-ish

"Humanity is no longer a HUD item." In real life if you were a bad person you would KNOW you were. If the HUD item is removed, you wouldn't know, and could get into trouble.

*meets someone with high humanity.*

*I dont know my humanity and expects to be able to befriend him*

*gets killed for an apparently low humanity*

If you know your humanity (which as said before, you do IRL) you will know a few possible outcomes if you run into someone.

YES

Or a similar system that keeps the detection & unknown-to-player aspect

NO

This is not realistic. Better seeing blood on the skin. Less humanity = more blood on the skin. That's realistic, you shot somebody and blood spread on you when you loot the dead body.

Yes.

+It's not the bandit's heartbeat you hear, your intuition makes your own heart race in the presence of psychos.

YES.

I would suggest that the heartbeat is audible only from a closeish distance, 50 meters? That way bandits still have an element of surprise and survivors get a heads up (if they get that close)

NO.

Makes no sense and worryingly shows signs of you going soft.

Also just look at footage of Jeffery Dhrama and other serial killers, most seem chillingly calm even in court.

Simply if someones going to have such extremely low humanity, they ain't going to be to effected by killing.

YES

But have humanity reset each time you die. I got murders for defending myself but I'm otherwise nice - I'd like to be able to start fresh rather than being perpetually ostracized from groups (or KoS) due to being deemed a "bandit".

YES

But have the ability to re-raise humanity/etc. so you arent stuck with it forever.

I know rocket was not explicit, but given the gist of the idea, it is about hearing your OWN heartbeat under specific circumstances, NOT about hearing the bandit's and use it as a location probe.

Bandits in group, shouldn't be a problem, since it should be easy to limit the triggering to a "first encounter" event, avoiding repetition. Though the retriggering itself from time to time could otoh be a good idea too.

Remember, the point is not so much about discouraging the path of being a bandit, which can simply ignore the heartbeat, but to assist _willing_ players to befriend themselves.

Lastly, i could suggest, instead of having the player "look directly at someone closeby", let the heartbeat trigger as soon as that someone enters the peripheral vision instead. The point being, a gut feeling is a "fuzzy" one not something you get by conscious inspection of someone.

YES

But have the ability to re-raise humanity/etc. so you arent stuck with it forever.

Pretty sure you can currently raise humanity by giving transfusions and stuff... The problem is that I play solo 99.9% of the time so I have no way to redeem myself from my "murders" which were earned while defending myself.

YES

Pretty sure you can currently raise humanity by giving transfusions and stuff... The problem is that I play solo 99.9% of the time so I have no way to redeem myself from my "murders" which were earned while defending myself.

Then it should automatically increase over time (e.g., "I killed a lot of people when this started, but I feel bad so I'm living in the woods now and will never do it again" sort of thing).

Then it should automatically increase over time (e.g.' date=' "I killed a lot of people when this started, but I feel bad so I'm living in the woods now and will never do it again" sort of thing).

[/quote']

Agreed. I've heard it does increase slowly as you kill zeds, but it takes something like 100 zombie kills to redeem a single murder. That said I'm not even sure whether this is accurate.

That said - I really don't mind low humanity sticking with your character forever, but it really should reset every time you die.

I mean, in game you are starting a new life with a new character after each death... your last character died. Why does that dead player's good/bad humanity persist through death to a new person?

What if I want to be a bandit in one life but go back to being a good guy the next? With the current system that's damn near impossible to do since no one will trust me due to my low humanity. It is near impossible to go from bandit to "friendly" even if you give up your loot and reset your character.

I know rocket was not explicit' date=' but given the gist of the idea, it is about hearing your OWN heartbeat under specific circumstances, NOT about hearing the bandit's and use it as a location probe.

[/quote']

Lets be fair, ANY encounter with stranger in a zombie apocalypse is going to make your heart race and you muddy your pants. You'd have no idea of their intentions/background until you observed or spoke to them.

This heartbeat bollocks is a daft idea.

Lets be fair' date=' ANY encounter with stranger in a zombie apocalypse is going to make your heart race and you muddy your pants. You'd have no idea of their intentions/background until you observed or spoke to them.

[/quote']

It may not be super realistic but it seems like a pretty good compromise between the "bring bandit skins back" crowd and the "no bandit skins, that's unrealistic, bandits don't dress different" crowd.

YES

But consider !

* groups with low humanity: annoying sound ?

* only very short range --> doesnt help detect them further away in kill range

* "you don't know how others will perceive you." --> good point

Lets be fair' date=' ANY encounter with stranger in a zombie apocalypse is going to make your heart race and you muddy your pants. You'd have no idea of their intentions/background until you observed or spoke to them.

[/quote']

It may not be super realistic but it seems like a pretty good compromise between the "bring bandit skins back" crowd and the "no bandit skins, that's unrealistic, bandits don't dress different" crowd.

Its a non issue. Sorry but there is no need to compromise.

My main problem with this whole mechanic is that why should the player have some magic bad-man detector? This whole thing just seems to suggest that Rockets team are considering giving the players what they want, They shouldn't, players are pricks.

'Oh that guy i've never seen before must be evil because my spidey-heartbeat senses are tingling'

^^THATS how stupid this idea is.

Might as well go the whole hog and give 'friendlies' ice-cream van jingles and a fucking my lil pony that shits rainbows to ride.

My main problem with this whole mechanic is that why should the player have some magic bad-man detector?

It's not magic. rocket provided reference. If someone's about to murder me, it's not magic if I get bad vibes.

(Also, stop using more than 20 words, jackass.)

My main problem with this whole mechanic is that why should the player have some magic bad-man detector?

It's not magic. rocket provided reference. If someone's about to murder me' date=' it's not magic if I get bad vibes.

(Also, stop using more than 20 words, jackass.)

[/quote']

Welcome to the discussion, leave your insults at the door.

you should get those bad vibes from observing their actions.

If this is implemented, you no longer have the suspense of 'is this guy going to shoot me in the back?' because you know he will when he gets the chance, because your baddy-detector went off.

Its flawed.

@Never

you could go kill some survivors, and come back in order to de-stress a bit.

A game is not reality, much less simulation of a fantasy. What is trying to be defined is a enjoyable gameplay, detachment from reality is a given, you can only try and give back what is lost by the recognized limitations of a game through some creative WHILE worthy gameplay mechanics.