rocket

20 words or less: Super-Low Humanity Detection

YES

Great idea. Fits very well into the dayz world. Subtile and effective. Simulates the "gut feeling" very well.

YES.

I like the idea of a heartbeat. Makes it seem as if your character is panicking as he works out the other player's intentions.

But you wouldn't know their intentions until they did something that made that obvious. Being just close enough to someone doesn't tell you ANYTHING about them.

In fact anyone that being in proximity someone means they can read their intentions to are either living in a dreamworld or are very judgmental people. and judgmental people are VERY often wrong.

Keeping in mind that this is a game and not reality. Look at whether or not this is a good game mechanic, not whether or not it makes sense in a real world scenario. In the real world people would be a little more hesitant to shoot you on sight giving you more of a chance to determine what they are planning.

YES!

This is it - to put some FEAR into those who have killed lots of people. They won't see their humanity' date=' so they wonder... (can they tell I'm a killer??!)

[/quote']

Yeah, but if you go out and kill 20 people, you'll know your humanity is low, surely? Lets experiment anyway.

YES

I really miss bandit skinn, my favorite "job" was to hunt bandits, now i can sneak up to them and make sure he is bad and continue my judgment.

No. At least not until basic things like zombie AI and dying when crawling through a doorway is fixed.

Isn't this pretty moot since you'll never directly stare a bandit in the face anyway? Chances are one of you is going to be dead before you hear the heartbeat noise kicking in.

That being said, YES, but only if the range is big enough to matter.

YES

Sometimes you have to compromise ultra-realism for the sake of mechanics; the heartbeat is a metaphor for something seeming 'creepy/unsettling' about the murderer.

YES

But also why not shivers or the player making "unsettled" noises which increase in response to humanity/proximity? Blurring?

YES

Why the hell not? If it sucks, we can get rid of it.

YES

an aditional penalty would be good, maybe a bigger zombie pull radius. they have blood an the clothes. ;)

YES!

But make it so it resets after each life, i play different each time i die, so if your a bandit in one life, your a good person the next, but if you break that and kill, your humanity drops again.

(Mort to read, sorta-related)

The "Greeting" Suggestion could play into this, if your playing with a friend and he has low humanity, you don't want your audio to be spammed with heartbeats while trying to listen for gunshots in the distance. So if you add Greeting to this, you and your friend will be able to look at you and not hear a heartbeat, since your calm and comfortable around that person.

YES

Didn't read the entire thread but I read the first 20 plus pages. Looks like people are in favor. It's new and seems promising. I say do it.

YES

I think it's a good idea but as someone said above' date=' make it reset for each new life.

[/quote']

I think you only retained the bandit skin for ultra low humanity before! This should carry over. If you make a habit of killing people indiscrimnately maybe that should carry a heavier consequence. Let's not call it a penalty. Actions have consequences in real life. Also there are penalties, but these are imposed by laws and other communal constructs. If you steal a drug dealers drugs, you will probably be hunted and shot. Action/reaction. If you kill someone and steal thier beans Action/reaction. Consequence!

Yes!

But, the lower your humanity, the more often you slip into zombie-like behavior; like low-blood causes fainting.

YES

Every time you die, your humanity should be reset to original state.

If Humanity carries over to next life you will only be conditioning the player to continue acting the same. This is what we say with the Bandit skin- I look like a bandit i guess i will act like one since it will be the only way to survive.

NO

Will remove some of the near heart attacks from close up play, will be used for scanning in a way!

NO

Will remove some of the near heart attacks from close up play' date=' will be used for scanning in a way!

[/quote']

I don't think it can be used for scanning since you have to be close to the other player and be looking at each other like you would look at someone in real life.

The tension/ heart attack moments will be trying to determine if the heart beat rhythm or loudness does equal this player being a possible threat/ or can be trusted. It reinforces the heart attack moments with the Heart Beak function.

YES

A subtle way to help people not get shot in an instant but not to over the top that its obvious

YES

This actually makes being a bandit more interesting and adds a level of depth to both sides. Worth a try.

No.

Becoming a bandit isn't always your fault. A heartbeat would become annoying when playing with teammates who are bandits.

How bout a reward for the bandit that wants to be superbad! Ie: survive with very very low humanity and no one offs you...you jump over the hump and become a

physcopath...oddly calm and devoid of emotion.

Killing doesnt make you a bandit, killing innocence does