andrewmont

Night time pointless? Gamma fix.

I think playing at night can be a lot more intense but I don't do it as often as I'd like because you just get people who turn their gamma right up so they can see fine. I know not everyone does this but it makes things like night vision kinda pointless. Do people agree that there should be some sort of gamma limit when playing at night?

• Like 4

Moved to suggestions.

Except you can't see shit with gamma up and it's raining. Also they've already tried to implement a "gamma limit" but it just makes everything looked washed out.

• Like 1

This is extremely simple. If it's impossible to play at night, no one will play.

There are already very few who play at night. The only two are, those with NVG's, and extremely adventurous people who enjoy playing with gamma all up. There also one or two hardcore players who enjoy playing at night without both gamma or NVG, but these are far and few apart - and they usually get offed quickly by the players with NVG's, or by zombies who get omnipotent when they aggro at night.

The only question then is:

Should night play be a sanctuary for those with NVG's? Or should more people get to enjoy playing at night?

Edited by kebman
  • Like 2

I usually run around with a chemlight in my hand and pray i dont get shot :lol:

• Like 1

I find it more immersive sometimes if I don't play without raising my Gamma to sky-high. Though, when you get sniped by bandits with NVGs and Rangefinders, then you eventually want to raise up your Brightness.

Gamma situation defenetly needs fixing ! I figure perhaps they could implement something as to when night time has clicked over (9pm?) a gamma limit kicks in for the duration on night time then is undone once official daytime is upon us..

• Like 1

I almost always play at night... its the best time to scavenge because the zombies aggro is less. And yes I turn up gamma if i don't have NVG. And no I dont see the same without but atleast enough to not bump in to a zombie in front of me.

Gamma looting in cherno in a med pop server with a chance to run into someone is more immersive than sitting in the dark, on a hill, with nvg's. I love looting at night whilst not knowing who is around and is hard to see. It puts me more into the game even with the gamma high and I do see what your saying. Perhaps some sort of way of texturing the ground like when the moon is out may help? When the moon is out in DayZ its fantastic to play. Sums up everything about the game if you play it in a anti hack server. It is fun. If they made every DayZ night like those with moonlit grounds then it might help alot of people with nighttime navigation

Is there a way to stop it? Only if you don't give anyone a gamma option. at least not one you can change at ease. [suggestion] At first start of the game/setup give us one of those boxes with a faint image to adjust gamma to, then the only way to change it would be to go into some file somewhere and restart the game. could people still change it? yes. but it would be more time consuming or people would make preset files and swap them out.

I do play on Night servers a lot and I do turn my gamma and brightness all the way up almost always if I don't have NVGs. I will say some servers its pretty much daytime then others I can only see whats on the horizon. and yes heavy rain with high gamma sucks. Do I feel bad doing it? no not really, cant really play at night without doing it or having NVGs but the only time I've gotten those is coming across a decked out dead guy or in the most recent case, a bunch of hacked in standing dummies with PKMs(??some gun not in dayz) which we left on them. Though, I've been out in the woods at night, not near cities. you can see a bit better than what this game lets us.

I play at night, because the guys cranking up their gamma are playing on daylight servers anyways.

This means daylight servers are full to the brink and therefor prefered by script kiddies.

I can then freely use my flashlights, chemlights and if I feel safe pop some road flares.

I love playing at night, it's a different game and mostly hacker free.

Edited by Dallas
  • Like 1

I play at night sometimes and do not adjust the gamma, nor do I have NV goggles. needless to say it's scary as poop, but that's one of the reasons I love this game - the fear factor. If you have a friend and co-op through a town like Cherno, it can be a big rush. My buddy and I snuck around in there for a few hours just last night, and although we had a few close calls and stirred up the hornets nest of zombies on more than one occasion, good communication saved the day in almost every account. I only had to bandage once at any rate.

It was an absolute BLAST!

See on pitch black servers without NVG/Rangefinders yeah the game is very difficult but at night, less people = more good loot. Those servers with moonlight are almost like day. The thing is if people are going to turn their gamma up so they can see, they should just play on a daytime server. I'd love to play at night more but like many I won't do it without NVG's or unless its moonlit because I know people'll just turn their gamma up. For all the realism Day Z is trying to implement just seems like night time shouldn't be so easily bypassed.

You guys are forgetting the moon moves on the sky. you get like 2 to 3 hours max of moonlight where gamma can play a role. but if it's cloudy or even raining that is greatly hindered. and when the moon sinks on the horizon it will be pitchblack no matter how hard you try to raise your gamma and brightness.

PLUS! even tho arma 2 has a sort of day-night adaptation, as in if you switch from bright to dark you need a sec to adapt, it's not all the way. for example me (idk about the rest, maybe I'm some freak), I can see p much like it is with gamma on max on a full moon night if in real life there would be similar moon conditions. I consider the gamma option just fine. (yes, I can get a set of NVGs from buddies at any time I want.

there's also the issue of who the fuck would want to play a night server if the gamma is hindered/taken out, since they can switch at any time they want to a day server; because their characters aren't server sided.

sorry OP, no.

Edited by kryvian

The problem I have with Night is that currently it is way too dark. the only time I should absolutely -need- a source of illumination just to be able to see my own hand in front of my face is when there is literally no light whatsoever. The human eye can adjust to very low light conditions, yes we do not see as well, being diurnal predators, but we can still reasonably make out terrain features and movement at night with little to no illumination.

In fact, I've found that playing between 2100-2200 with my gamma around 1.2 and brightness all the way up, is in fact very similar to what the human eye can see on a clear night, with or without moon, or a clouded night with a moon. all the colour is very much washed out of the world, shadows are intense blindspots, but you can pick out sudden movements from a long ways away.

Even with those settings, on a moonlit night on DayZ, after about 2230, I can't play, it is literally so dark that I cannot even see the weapon in my hands, and then it becomes pointless to play. So with that in mind I don't feel the least bit guilty about having my gamma up, I am still at a disadvantage to someone with proper nightvision, as is proper, I can't make out fine details, as is proper, but I'm not so blind I can't even tell I'm standing right next to a building, which is not proper. the only time I've been that blind in real life is when I go spelunking, and there is literally no light for your eyes to adjust to.

• Like 1

Even with those settings, on a moonlit night on DayZ, after about 2230, I can't play, it is literally so dark that I cannot even see the weapon in my hands,

In the moonlight I can see fine at night. I've seen people with their gamma up and it makes you see pretty clearly. I just don't see the point in playing at night with adjusted settings so you can see. It takes away all purpose at night, playing at night though dangerous can be hella fun.

This would be less of a problem if flares weren't such a hazard to use. If people stop instantly hunting down anybody with flares, then night time might be more playable. It still rains way too fucking much, so gamma all the way up at night is impossible because IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING RAINING. It's still too dark at night, we have the ArmA 2 engine to thank for that.

I only started playing night servers once I got NVGs.

Edited by omgwtfbbq

i think only 1 in 3 nights should have full moon.. but yes the game is completley different at night time.. my favorite time is usually as the sun is going down.

But like i suggested above i think making brightness/gamma limits only when night time has been applied in game.

^_^

I play at night often. I use flares, flashlights, chem lights, fires, and headlights and when possible night vision. Do I turn up the gamma? Sometimes but most of the time it doesn't help.

I think more people will play at night when duping gets fixed and NVGs become as rare as they should be.

• Like 1

For as long as NV is ultra-rare and duped there will an unfair night advantage for cheats. Turning up the gamma control levels the playing field a bit and makes night playable for the masses.

I have found in the last week that a change has happened somewhere and gamma no longer works. I simply won't play in pitch black where an NV duper can get an easy kill.

Equally it's near impossible not to constantly aggro zombies during the day so that a no-go either. If gamma is not working for me again soon I'll just move to other games until the standalone comes out.