andrewmont

Night time pointless? Gamma fix.

No gamma restrictions because I need high gamma. How about instead at night time there is a veiw distance. Depending on how dark it is you cannot see a certain amount infront of you without NV.

No gamma restrictions because I need high gamma. How about instead at night time there is a veiw distance. Depending on how dark it is you cannot see a certain amount infront of you without NV.

Devs, listen to this player... they may have just hit the nail on the head.

Right now I feel it is pointless to play at night, especially for me (a brand new player). I only have starter equipment so that means no batteries for my flashlight. I can't see my own hand in front of my face... seriously, I've soluted in 1st person... and see nothing! Its ridiculous. Its NOT realistic either like some players defend it. Think about it, when is the last time you stepped outside at any hour and weren't able to see anything besides the tree outline against the night sky. Never! You (we as humans) can see enough to navigate safely at night. Inside when the lights are all out and its 3 am... that is another story. The only time it should be pitch black is if something is eclipsing the moon. Is this happening every night in DayZ? It plain sucks ... and makes it so most of us only want to play in the daytime... now what fun is that? Seriously, this must be addressed quickly.

Edited by jdu82

It's probably also worth noting that DayZ uses a somewhat nonstandard lighting model that can result in nights being even darker than they all ready are in stock ARMA.

Devs, listen to this player... they may have just hit the nail on the head.

Right now I feel it is pointless to play at night, especially for me (a brand new player). I only have starter equipment so that means no batteries for my flashlight. I can't see my own hand in front of my face... seriously, I've soluted in 1st person... and see nothing! Its ridiculous. Its NOT realistic either like some players defend it. Think about it, when is the last time you stepped outside at any hour and weren't able to see anything besides the tree outline against the night sky. Never! You (we as humans) can see enough to navigate safely at night. Inside when the lights are all out and its 3 am... that is another story. The only time it should be pitch black is if something is eclipsing the moon. Is this happening every night in DayZ? It plain sucks ... and makes it so most of us only want to play in the daytime... now what fun is that? Seriously, this must be addressed quickly.

What part of "absense of ambient light" do you not get? There is nobody living in those deserted towns, there is no cars, no airplanes, no shop signs, NOTHING beside the moon to give ambient light. It can get this dark.

I like the draw distance idea, lower it down to around 10 meters on new moon and higher based on how close to full moon we are, raise it up if the guy has nvgs on or a flashlight. Gamma issue solved.

everybody has to decide for themselves but i don't get why people need to adjust their gamma settings. The solution for the lack of light is in the game: use chemlights. Use road flares. Come nighttime i'm hunting the looot piles for light sources. They are not that hard to find, so there is no need for metagaming by adjusting the screen settings.

by doing this you neglect the need of light in the dark in order to see. Most of us are spoilt by living in well lit cities. But go out there in the woods on a cloudy night... And of course you would see someone else hundreds of meters away, and even more, when they light a flashlight or just matches. Hell, a glimming cigarette can give away your position.

Edit: the flashlights should cause more realistic light effects, though.

Edited by sixfeetgiantbunnyrabbit

I love playing at night cos I have f all finds, so getting into houses without alerting zed sis easier. But I agree it's too dark, I think the moonlight should play a bigger role so it's not so dark but occasionally clouds cover the moon and make it darker etc. a more realistic sky behaviour.

What part of "absense of ambient light" do you not get? There is nobody living in those deserted towns, there is no cars, no airplanes, no shop signs, NOTHING beside the moon to give ambient light. It can get this dark.

I like the draw distance idea, lower it down to around 10 meters on new moon and higher based on how close to full moon we are, raise it up if the guy has nvgs on or a flashlight. Gamma issue solved.

I've lived in the country where there is an absence of light. We had no neighbors for miles. I've been outside when everyone is asleep and all the lights/electricity is (are) out... and the MOON has always been enough to see what was around me. The level of darkness in DayZ is just ridiculous... plain and simple, and fact.

Agreed. Total blackness is not actually realistic. IRL there is always enough light for human night vision to make out surroundings.

• Like 1