rocket

20 words or less: Spawning without a weapon

Not sure if this was suggested yet:

Since we cannot assume that everyone has a weapon, it would be possible to hide a pistol in your backpack, gain trust of another player, then pull it out of your pack and shoot them in the back.

YES.

Rocket I have a good idea for bandits...the more people you kill the higher chance of seeing things that aren't there. You can make it client side so no lag on the servers end. Have random zombies spawn behind you that start attacking but cause no damage...your guy will probably freak out and fire a few shots calling in real zombies or alerting people. I imagine in real life if you kept killing people you would start to go alittle crazy.

...that is a terrible idea

BrB killing 50 people and not having nightmares.

In twenty words or less' date=' formatted with YES or NO in caps the line above, say your thoughts on trying this out[/b']

NO.

Remove morphine and painkillers perhaps. Fewer mags. But there needs to be a starting weapon.

Because there's no "add melee weapons" button. I need animations' date=' some configuration. It's not impossible, but its work and particularly animation time. Will be something to look into, but its not a simple addition.

[/quote']

Come on, it's Alpha. :P Just download some free BVH files and drop them in. You have had thousands of people playing with the horrible zombie death and attack animations, who is going to care that the player punches instead of hits with a knife?

Don't worry about all the animation time...just give the player the same melee damage that the zombies have and some canned animations and THEN you can drop the starting pistol and give us a wrench or lead pipe or whatever...

YES

This is the time for experimentation. I don't know if this will be a good idea, or a spectacularly bad one, but now's the time to try bold things.

YES

But only if you implement a weight system so you move faster with less gear

YES

But I think something needs to be done with humanity levels and killing an unarmed player should have a gigantic humanity cost. Also' date=' if possible, maybe make zombies wander a bit more. That way if we spot a potential loot house, we can wait around in the bushes until the nearby zombies are further away.

[/quote']

what is the penilty for having negitive humanity right now? NOTHING. When you have bandits seeing how low they can get thier humanity this would encourage them.

If you are going to do this, you should probably go all the way the first time. As in starting with nothing not even a backpack.

Reasoning would be this would test more gameplay at once and it's also easier on the public to add things back in later than to remove more.

Also: Having no backpack to start with would make Czech Vest Pouches actually useful!

YES

While at it, randomize starting gear and reduce amount of it. Remove backpacks at start. If possible, randomize amount of ammo in magazines found.

Basically, make starting out harder than Robinson´s Requiem.

- Maybe adds some authenticity' date=' who has a handgun at home?

[/quote']

No:

For us Americans, I'd bet over 50%. I personally have enough weapons and ammo at home to supply an entire Day Z squad. And I'm willing to bet money that the majority(50%+) of Day Z players are American.

(Sorry it's more than 20 words, but it's short and concise, and it's only one point I could address in so little words)

Yes

I would also suggest expanding the new player spawn area to cover further inland and starting everyone with a compass. This would curtail some of the bandit spawn killing issues and allow people to point themselves in the direction of a target if they spawn in the woods.

[/quote']

No:

For us Americans, I'd bet over 50%. I personally have enough weapons and ammo at home to supply an entire Day Z squad. And I'm willing to bet money that the majority(50%+) of Day Z players are American.

(Sorry it's more than 20 words, but it's short and concise, and it's only one point I could address in so little words)

Who cares? The game does not take place in America.

YES.

Absolutely think it adds realism, a very devious edge and a certain twisted humour to an already fabulous mod.

[/quote']

No:

34% of Americans personally own a gun. (Source: http://www.gallup.com/poll/150353/self-reported-gun-ownership-highest-1993.aspx )

YES

I don't have a problem with no-gun at start. I've respawned dozens of times, and have never once been killed at the beach (or shortly after the beach). It's very easy to survive without the use of a pistol for the first 30 minutes. I've done it every time.

Is it possible to randomize the gun-at-spawn part? Quick Google search said just under half of American households have a gun. Also, Czech Republic has lenient gun laws: anyone that has a clean history and bill of health over the age of 21 can own a gun, and carry it concealed without a specific reason.

No gun = No fun. This is a game' date=' and games are supposed to be fun.

[/quote']

But, this isn't a game, it's an anti-game. It's not designed to be fun; it's designed to make you suffer.

I simply do not agree with you on that. Yes I agree it's designed to make you suffer, but it is still a game. An anti-game would be the real thing. No one plays DayZ or ANY other game because it IS NOT fun, they play it because it IS fun. And while most of the fun stems from the difficulty, there is a point when the difficulty makes most players not even want to give the game a chance, let alone stick with it any extended period of time.

No gun = No fun. This is a game' date=' and games are supposed to be fun.

[/quote']

But, this isn't a game, it's an anti-game. It's not designed to be fun; it's designed to make you suffer.

I simply do not agree with you on that. Yes I agree it's designed to make you suffer, but it is still a game. An anti-game would be the real thing. No one plays DayZ or ANY other game because it IS NOT fun, they play it because it IS fun. And while most of the fun stems from the difficulty, there is a point when the difficulty makes most players not even want to give the game a chance, let alone stick with it any extended period of time.

There is a difference between fair suffering and unfair suffering. If there is still a logical way and a chance for someone to survive and obtain a gun, it is not unfair, it is difficult.

YES

I wouldn't mind seeing people spawn with close to nothing. Can't kill me for my beans if I have none. Would be even more irritating to die, but much more intense. If I just washed up on the shores, it's not likely I just happen to have a full survival-kit on me.

Randomize startitems. Everything from gun to food. (maybe guarante bandages). Maybe make it possible to spawn stronger than today if you are lucky. (revolver, winchester, crossbow or other fairly common weapons).

I see two good reasons to not do this, people that got guns got free loot. This will make people shoot u even more than before.

And as someone else mentioned, make the player be able to use his fists.

NO

But only if you implement a weight system so you move faster with less gear

Actually, that would be pretty damn cool. It would lead to all kinds of interesting gameplay choices, strategies and tactics.

I see two good reasons to not do this' date=' people that got guns got free loot. This will make people shoot u even more than before.

And as someone else mentioned, make the player be able to use his fists.

NO

[/quote']

Did you miss the part were you only start with a bandage? I wouldn't waste a bullet for a bandage.

for those of you saying no, because it scares off new players, whilst obviously thats not the intention, it also makes it very clear from the get go, that this isnt a regular shooter. and maybe it would help shelve the 'KILL ALL THE PEOPLE' attitude. and make people play a little more like you would a survival game rather then a fps.

I personally see absolutely no harm in trying it. (I would prefer a full db wipe to accompany it, but I know that might be hard to do(and I say that as a CCO/m24 user)) but this is the testing stage. this is why we are here. use us to test the game

we can say yes/no till the cows come home, but until it happens..we will never know, think about the time you accidentally added more zeds! :P you thought.. shit lets try it. and now.. could you imagine going back? some things you just have to TRY.. and I th ink this is one of them.,

I am concerned that you will send too many new-to-the-game people back to the server hell wait line.