rocket

20 words or less: Spawning without a weapon

YES

speaking as a player who started after starter guns were removed, It makes for some great intense moments in the begining. Zombies are way more of a threat at this stage. Punching or something to that effect would be nice however.

I wouldn't be opposed to starting off with a hatchet or machete.

Either that or make more buildings lootable, because it's less realistic to come across a mansion that has 30 windows and all that's stopping you from getting inside is a venetian blind vs. starting off with a garden tool to use for basic self defense.

Edited by Kin0

YES

Because survival is not about charging the danger with weapon, but about thinking and avoiding it.

This adds whole lot new dimensions to the game:

-When you encounter a man with a gun, you rarely go to him and ask things... You friggin run! that should solve the problem with being killed by bandits that people tend to whine about.

-Much more immersion by depending on teamplay (you can ask your friend to bring some weapon to your location)

-More rewarding moment when you find your first weapon.

NO!

OR take the flashlight, bandage an painkillers away too. You HAVE gear or you DONT.

Edited by TheStoryteller01

YES... A melee attack would balance it perfectly though. Doesn't kill players or zeds, just knocks them out after a few hooks.

No

I can't believe you guys even took out the gun in the first place. FOR NEW PLAYERS it is VERY difficult to learn without any weapon.

YES

No starting weapons, pls. Best part of the game. A map would be handy, though.

Spawning without SOME form of weapon is just annoying.

If you can't melee (realism? not quite, so at least start with a melee weapon - preferably changed to be in the pistol slot rather than the rifle slot. Even when you get a weapon you really don't want to use it because you end up summoning everything within a hundred yards in an attempt to get a single zombie off your tail... or you know lose your rifle... Zombies don't leash and can potentially chase you forever, as you spawn with absolutely no means of defense this is a bit of a bad combo (games are supposed to be fun, even hardcore ones.)

(Not asking to spawn with an assault rifle, pistol, grenade launcher, and a tactical nuke, just the basest of means of defending yourself would be nice...)

Sure there are plenty of axes around, but they're more often than not in a building surrounded by zombies. Good luck getting one without getting aggro at least once or twice, because you have no idea if it's even going to be in that building you just spent 15 minutes prone crawling in to in order to avoid getting zombie-rage trained. Or you end up dying of thirst/hunger before you can find one... good times.

Edited by Sinvex

Give new players crow bars, it's not lilely that 3-feet long peices of iron are going to be in short supply

Edited by magrathea

Unrealistic. The only 50 survivors of a zombie apocalypse won't already have weapons? Stupid.

Spawning without a weapon... is fine.

Some times lifes unfair, i like how DayZ is harsh and unforgiving.

all good with that. but give the vest-pouch as first backpack ;)

Currently, there is significant incentive to kill new players, because:

- They could kill you (they are a threat).

- They have stuff you need (they are an opportunity).

If they have no weapon, and only bandages. Then they present:

- A waste of ammo (a risk).

- Revealing your presence (another risk).

- Attracting Zombies (yet another risk).

The only reward would be the satisfaction of killing a player, which represents a small number of players. And such players would shoot regardless, and if they're sniping, your Mak does nothing.

Not at all, I'm simply trying to get some feedback on whether to even bother trying it. It's a very trivial change, code wise, to try this out. I just wanted to see whether it was something the community supports trying.

I'm still dubious as to whether this is workable. It might be far to difficult to actually get your first weapon.

as i've literally started playing DayU 3 days ago, after this change, i have to say getting the first weapon is damn hard- My little story of my first day.

First spawn: Middle of nowhere without anything... aight i just go to a small town and get myself soe fireaxe at least... died before i even found an entryable building.

Second/Third/Fourth/Tenth span was the same.

Eleventh was different... i finally got an Axe... i had to run through 3 small towns for it, and like 50 zombies were following me. died right after i got my axe.

12th: got my axe in Elektro (which now i know was elektro), yet i died to a survivor. i possibly could have survived or at least defend myself with a small pistol... since he only had a Makarov too.

For me it was very discouraging to even bother anymore with the game. since i'm that type of person who never gives up, i continue till i got the hang of it. Now i'm pretty well geard.

What i'm trying to get to Dear Rocket. the game has a very hard and long learning curve which will discourage a lot of players. for instance my friends. i understand there are hardcore players who worship this gamechange. why not make both sides happy? when you create your Char, give us the option to start wiith or without a handicap (pistol) or stleast an Axe... really, the few survivors in a zombie apocalypse don't even have a stick to defend themselves?

Edited by MostlyPanda

Only presents a challenge to new players. Experienced players have no problem acquiring weapons quickly and relatively safely.

I think it might be better for those new players to start with a pistol and a small note that says, "aim for the head, you don't have much ammo."

YES!

Its the best part! Helps make this game so unique and challenging

Edited by UsuallyFriendly

Yes

It teaches newly spawned players that stealth is more effective than firearms.

No chance of randomly generated starting items?

I mean really. At first people were saying 'How many people just have gun in their home?' To which i answer, a whole lot. Not all, but there is a percentage of the population that DOES own a weapon. In my country, its easier to own a double barreled shotgun for hunting that it is to own a measly handgun. In Spain i have seen .22's being sold without the need for a licence. In the US, well depending on state laws the type of weapon changes but even my father in law had a 9mm and a .22 rifle at home, and hes a Mexican emigrant.

Granted, not everyone would have access to those weapons OR be able to get to them in time, but not everyone would be weaponless.

As previously stated. A piece of 2x4 would be a weapon. Right now posting this from my workplace all i need is to look around and instantly i have a wide variety of possible improvised weapons.

For example:

#1- Looking around the first thing i can think of is a 4 foot aluminum bar that's part of a coat hanger. Easy to get to and easier to remove. Breaks easily but would get some good hits in.

#2- Steel 4 foot rod with a handle on one side and a hook on the other. We use this to pull down the metal grating when we close the store at night. Steel makes it muck more durable, though it is heavier and harder to swing.

Now, i work at a sports and outdoor store. We sell machetes, axes, pocket knifes, etc. I'm not even counting those. I'm just focusing on whats more likely to be available across a wide range of places.

This all just to show that not everyone will escape with exactly the same gear. Starting with randomly generated stuff would add a different experience every time. Your priorities would change depending on what you have. So some start with a revolver? Make them only have 6 rounds. Don't give them extra ammo. Some start with the hatchet. Other start with a few more food supplies so they don't have to rush in search of some right from the start, etc.

• Like 1

I'm got several handguns at home. CHECKMATE, ROCKET!

Inception: 1

Rocket: 0

xD

YES, it places great value in your survival skills andgives you a great sense of achievement once your find a weapon

No chance of randomly generated starting items?

I mean really. At first people were saying 'How many people just have gun in their home?' To which i answer, a whole lot. Not all, but there is a percentage of the population that DOES own a weapon. In my country, its easier to own a double barreled shotgun for hunting that it is to own a measly handgun. In Spain i have seen .22's being sold without the need for a licence. In the US, well depending on state laws the type of weapon changes but even my father in law had a 9mm and a .22 rifle at home, and hes a Mexican emigrant.

Granted, not everyone would have access to those weapons OR be able to get to them in time, but not everyone would be weaponless.

As previously stated. A piece of 2x4 would be a weapon. Right now posting this from my workplace all i need is to look around and instantly i have a wide variety of possible improvised weapons.

For example:

#1- Looking around the first thing i can think of is a 4 foot aluminum bar that's part of a coat hanger. Easy to get to and easier to remove. Breaks easily but would get some good hits in.

#2- Steel 4 foot rod with a handle on one side and a hook on the other. We use this to pull down the metal grating when we close the store at night. Steel makes it muck more durable, though it is heavier and harder to swing.

Now, i work at a sports and outdoor store. We sell machetes, axes, pocket knifes, etc. I'm not even counting those. I'm just focusing on whats more likely to be available across a wide range of places.

This all just to show that not everyone will escape with exactly the same gear. Starting with randomly generated stuff would add a different experience every time. Your priorities would change depending on what you have. So some start with a revolver? Make them only have 6 rounds. Don't give them extra ammo. Some start with the hatchet. Other start with a few more food supplies so they don't have to rush in search of some right from the start, etc.

Do you understand what 20 words or less means?

YES

It's making game more fun.

Also ppl spawning with guns would kill each other in the start zones and it would be a mess :)

No

Or ban !

I hope you're convinced :P,in case you make people spawn without a makarov make spawns a bit random around the map