rocket

20 words or less: Spawning without a weapon

After a bit of time with it, I say spawning without a weapon is for the best. It helps to emphasize that survival is a key part of the game.

When spawning with a gun, a player it more likely to just open fire on any zombie they find. When spawning without a gun, it forces the player to think "Okay, so I might not always have a weapon, gotta learn how to play around that." So a player spawning with a gun (or even a melee weapon) is going to learn bad habits, where the player without a gun is going to learn that he needs to know how to sneak around zombies.

NO

In theory and keeping to the realistic idea it sounds good, in practice it's not. I'm continuously being killed by players with rifles or being chased by them while I run around with the all mighty crowbar.

I tried working with people who trapped me at the top of a tower and butchered me with axes.

Why not introduce a new gun, make a snub nosed pistol, and make it incredibly weak...it's better than nothing.

It doesn't really matter what the carebears think because it's here to stay. If anything they should make guns spawn less.

Interesting comment, carebears are usually someone who want to avoid fights at all costs... Giving someone a weapon means they can involve themselves in a fight, someone without a weapon well... he ain't going to get involved with a fight or at least not intentionally...

So which one is the carebear? Wait, the one without the gun? I don't really know what your point was, unless you were just trying to highlight how retarded your comment was.

I just started playing DayZ yesterday and have played 5 games now I think maybe a bit more and I always spawn with nothing but a flashlight and bandages, so why are you guys talking about if it would be good to spawn without weapons? It seems to me so far this is always the case now anyway??? Confused :s

I just started playing DayZ yesterday and have played 5 games now I think maybe a bit more and I always spawn with nothing but a flashlight and bandages, so why are you guys talking about if it would be good to spawn without weapons? It seems to me so far this is always the case now anyway??? Confused :s

It's a change that was introduced with a recent patch. Survivors used to spawn with a Marakov before.

Learn the game and spawning without a weapon is no problem. You can find a hatchet very very quickly but within the first 15mins you should be able to find a barn and get a shotgun/Enfield/Winchester.

The problem for newbs is that they don't know where anything spawns so they run around the crappy little towns like Kamenka looking for loot piles. The rest of us spawn and head for decent loot spawns since we know what models of building are enter-able and what spawns where.

Also newbs will generally crawl and try and sneak everywhere. Unfortunately in the later builds of DayZ this will get you killed. The best way at the moment is simply sprinting around the map and into buildings. I usually sprint straight into Elektro and into the first Firestation and then across into the church, then into the supermarket, then into the office and finally onto the next firestation. Usually reaps an assault rifle/1911/ALICE. I very rarely get shot by other players when doing this run unless I happen to run headfirst into someone by mistake.

I do think being able to sprint around does make it too easy.

Also my advice is to play on servers with 20-30 people. 50 people servers are usually pure deathmatch. 20-30 is a nice number I think.

Edited by jimmy163
  • Like 1

YES

This has actually changed my mind. People will be way more trusting since every man and his dog won't have a gun, and if someone does they'll be less likely to kill you if you are unarmed (no threat).

Idk maybe you're lucky but everytime I come across some one unarmmed bam shot in the face, Cant say i blame them really you cant trust anyone for shit in this game .

YES

It makes the game more thrilling when you have to go out and risk your life to get a weapon to protect yourself

YES

I'm new, so it's all I've ever known. Has forced me to learn early how zombies work and where things are. I wouldn't say no to an extra bandage or two!

YES

not played prior to being gunless, so i have had to learn how to get a gun fast, learn i have and have enjoyed almost every experience so far.

No

It's not hard to get a weapon within the first 5-10 minutes of spawning. Just keep it as it is.

I am new. I joined shortly after the no weapon at spawn patch. While at first I hated not having a gun cause of how hard it was to find a gun, after about a week or 2 I prefer it this was. I now know where to look for weapons and have even made a few friends by helping out newly spawned characters by giving them 1 of my guns and ammo when I have 1 to spare. So far no one I have helped out has turned around and shot me. Would be nice if there was a way to make it so your first 10 lives you spawned with a makarov and after that you didnt anymore. Just to help out newbies that don't know anything about the game.

Yes, please keep the spawning without a weapon. It makes the early game more dangerous which is important in a game like this. You have to understand there is a very vocal group that will try to get you to mold your game into a clone of so many others that just hold your hand and offer no challenge. The great devs know when to ignore those people and just go with their instinct. The others are solely in it for the money and eventually lose their playerbase.

Learn the game and spawning without a weapon is no problem. You can find a hatchet very very quickly but within the first 15mins you should be able to find a barn and get a shotgun/Enfield/Winchester.

The problem for newbs is that they don't know where anything spawns so they run around the crappy little towns like Kamenka looking for loot piles. The rest of us spawn and head for decent loot spawns since we know what models of building are enter-able and what spawns where.

Also newbs will generally crawl and try and sneak everywhere. Unfortunately in the later builds of DayZ this will get you killed. The best way at the moment is simply sprinting around the map and into buildings. I usually sprint straight into Elektro and into the first Firestation and then across into the church, then into the supermarket, then into the office and finally onto the next firestation. Usually reaps an assault rifle/1911/ALICE. I very rarely get shot by other players when doing this run unless I happen to run headfirst into someone by mistake.

I do think being able to sprint around does make it too easy.

Also my advice is to play on servers with 20-30 people. 50 people servers are usually pure deathmatch. 20-30 is a nice number I think.

The only problem here is that the post is >20 words. Othe rthan that, it is 100% correct.

No

Do this:

Regular Servers- Start with Gun

Veteran Servers- Don't start with Gun

• Like 1

Being a newbie, I don't mind spawing without a weapon. Though, when they are almost impossible to find; it just makes the game a little frustrating when you've been wondering around for hours just to find a wide variety of chem lights and road flares.

On my 5th life, I got a weapon. It was annoying trying to be sneaky so I decided to by risky instead and it worked, Hacked all the zombies to bits with a hatchet and raided a hospital with pistols and supplies. I have to say tho, it's annoying not being able to do anything when experienced player decide to go noob hunting in the south. (first 2 deaths were from players)

At the outset this seemed like a horrible sadistic idea, but now it's alright, makes it more tense and makes getting weapons o so much more sweeter.

YES

A weapon can EASILY be attained given that players know where to look. Even remote farms and villages often have loot untouched by players.

Even as a new player, I had NO complaints what so ever about spawning without a weapon.

Edited by ScramUK

YES

I actually haven't died yet to experience the new system but I've been in enough "no ammo" type situations to know what it will be like.

If this was an earlier version of the game I would have said NO, but with the changes to the Zombies it's perfectly fine. If you get spotted by a Z now at least you have a chance to evade them. In terms of PvP or rather people with guns trolling the beach spawns.

Meh, just GTFO of the beach area when you spawn and evade contact with other survivors until you get a weapon if you can't trust anyone.

1 bandaid and no backpack ...thats it, lets crank the difficulty up a bit more

• Like 1