mattlightfoot

DayZ at GamesCom

No mod support (expected.. they want to own the full business).

Chernarus map again .. this lead me to think that DayZ will be Arma2 + this mod but in a form of expansion, with Arma2 features stripped out .. so it will have nothing to share with Arma3 (neither its engine). Under a commercial point of view it makes sense: you don't have to develop anything new (the mod is here already), the game can be released pretty fast (Arma2 is here.. Arma3 is not), minimizing developing costs to maximize the profit.

I hope to be wrong and to be corrected by a dev with more (exact?) informations.

Chernarus map again .. this lead me to think that DayZ will be Arma2 + this mod but in a form of expansion, with Arma2 features stripped out .. so it will have nothing to share with Arma3 (neither its engine). Under a commercial point of view it makes sense: you don't have to develop anything new (the mod is here already), the game can be released pretty fast (Arma2 is here.. Arma3 is not), minimizing developing costs to maximize the profit.

I hope to be wrong and to be corrected by a dev with more (exact?) informations.

DayZ Standalone will be running a heavily modified version of the Real Virtuality 4 engine (Made by BIS). Mod support will be limited, at first but plan to open up as develop(as Rocket stated in one of his Reddit AmA's.)

But, keep in mind. This thread solely about DayZ's Attendance of GamesCon and NOT DayZ Development.

Edited by Inu
  • Like 1

The DayZ standalone will utilize Real Virtuality 4 which is what ArmA 3's engine utilizes. My guess is they'll have some early alpha version by late October / November.

I think no mod support is not so smart. You still have to buy the game to be able to play a mod. Mods can heavily inspire the main game. Maybe mod support isn't a priority or goal feature for the release?

Can people PLEASE read the goddamn reddit? Rocket's AMA cleared a whole lot of questions, including the mod support.. He said they will probably allow community-made or custom-made maps in the standalone eventually and maybe in the mod too. Also, the engine for the standalone is a heavily modified version of BIS' latest engine, the one for ArmA3. But as far as I know, they will be tweaking it down to let people with mid-range pc's run it on normal.

I think once standalone is underway he should open source mod development, so more developers can try new ideas (which if successful could then migrate into standalone). Right now there is hardly any new content features being added into the mod because devels are too busy with the standalone already.

Edited by ZlobaRUS54

I think once standalone is underway he should open source mod development, so more developers can try new ideas (which if successful could then migrate into standalone). Right now there is hardly any new content features being added into the mod because devels are too busy with the standalone already.

RPS: So with the standalone eventually taking its own course, what’s the future for the mod?

Hall: I think the mod will just continue. For a very long time. What we’re going to do with the Day Z mod is open it up. People are going to be able to run their own live server, their own private server, they can run a server just for four of them, that sort of thing. And so that will, I think, foster real creativity within the mod, and I think that creativity will feed the standalone game.

• Like 2

Yes, now that we have the off-topic questions answered: Has anyone been in the private business area in Hall 4.1 and check out Bohemia there? I guess most stuff said in there isn't supposed to be open to public but who knows..

Edited by (NGG) Toby

Yes, now that we have the off-topic questions answered: Has anyone been in the private business area in Hall 4.1 and check out Bohemia there? I guess most stuff said in there isn't supposed to be open to public but who knows..

They only had 3x4 pc's lined up, to show Carrier Command(Not sure), ArmA3 and DayZ. No further info whatsoever.

EDIT: You were talking about the business area, never mind then. Rocket has given at least 2 interviews, that's all I know.

Edited by Turr

Lol we were at the booth but we didn't dare to go in. Everything looked so biznez :D But it looked a lot like you could simply play it there with someone answering your questions, so basically the public thing minus the time to wait.

DayZ Standalone will be running a heavily modified version of the Real Virtuality 4 engine (Made by BIS). Mod support will be limited, at first but plan to open up as develop(as Rocket stated in one of his Reddit AmA's.)

But, keep in mind. This thread solely about DayZ's Attendance of GamesCon and NOT DayZ Development.

Not sure where you keep your infos.. but you're wrong. From GamesCon (to remain in topic):

RPS: Is the standalone more Arma 2 or more Arma 3?

Hall: It’s more like Arma 2.5, and there’s a very important reason for that. Arma 2 has reached a certain level of maturity, and that’s important for Day Z. We want to do things like support a simple ragdoll, rather than the complex ragdoll that Arma 3 has, because we’re multiplayer and PvP focused. So yeah it’s more like Arma 2.5, but because we’ve got the guys who created the engine working directly on this game, we could soon see Day Z codebase looking very different. It’s actually based more on the Take On Helicopters architecture than what we’ve done with Arma 3.

I met Matt and Dean at the Wargaming Party at the "Bootshaus", rly nice guys! Was a f**king great party

Hope Matt and Dean had fun on friday morning at the GC ... :P

• Like 1

Can people PLEASE read the goddamn reddit? Rocket's AMA cleared a whole lot of questions, including the mod support.. He said they will probably allow community-made or custom-made maps in the standalone eventually and maybe in the mod too. Also, the engine for the standalone is a heavily modified version of BIS' latest engine, the one for ArmA3. But as far as I know, they will be tweaking it down to let people with mid-range pc's run it on normal.

So why start this topic if everyone has to go to fucking reddit to get updates? Why not close the forum in its totality and go to reddit?

• Like 1

As walkerdown also ppinted out, this is just wrong based on Rocket's recent gamescon interviews.

It's Arma 2 with a Chernarus++ map and some ragdolls.

Please sort the HDR!

Otherwise I think I will stick to the mod and wait for the inevitable port to the latest RV engine and the extra £10 cost....

but then I did just state I would have paid £30 for DayZ on the same engine Arma 3 uses, and with the very cheap pricing model I guess I can stretch to both :) I just talked myself back into buying the standaolne (both inevitable releases)

Otherwise I think I will stick to the mod and wait for the inevitable port to the latest RV engine and the extra £10 cost....

* Disclaimer: this is what i would do, i don't mean BIS will follow this route.

I will announce a parallel development (mod + stand alone agone) to not alarm the current users, and to not start to spread negativity (especially negative press, after all the positivity we had the recent weeks/months); as soon the stand-alone version pops out, i start to abandon progressively the mod supporting, basically "gently" forcing the ppl to migrate (to buy) the alpha version of the game, after the majority of the supporter have migrated, it will be clear that the mod has been abandoned but the voices will be few so they would have less power to spread the negativity (forum/press), while on the other side i will have enough paying customer that will be interested to see all the dev-force invested into the game, rather than the mod (since they wouldn't care about the mod anymore at that point).

At the end of the development cycle i will have a similar result that i would had with the mod (plus some minor tweaks) with major advantages: 1) i had many ppl buying A2CO; 2) i acquired the user base for free; 3) i didn't had to spend much into the development (A2/V3 "tweaked" engine); 4) i already have "sure buyers" while i still developing the game (risk free project).

It's a win-win situation. :)

Whee I just have been at Gamescom playing 1.7.3 at the Arma III stand.

It was kinda funny to realize that like 80% of the people who were standing in line wanted to play DayZ only and weren't really interested in Arma 3 and the other game (of which I forgot the name :D).

Also there are still artifacts in 1.7.3 (or whatever version we were able to play; I got a dog as follower!) and the playtime was kinda limited :/

However DayZ is great :]

• Like 1

Well done, DayZ team. The future sounds very bright indeed. The Q&A and Gamescom video were both filled to the brim with your plans. Thank you for being open!

• Like 1

this was the best trade fair experience ever.

mostly due to the bohemia appearence, well i honestly just went there for dayz :P

delivered my original heinz baked beans and they really liked that D:

of course all the kids were raging and laughing about the graphic bugs, but wtf?

i guess bohemia interactive is like the only company in gaming business with the guts

to show an alpha release of their product on a trade fair. maybe they should have

put huge ass red flashing light signs on top of the screens screaming ALPHA

at the players

really was worth the time.

i got to play dayz 1.7.3 pre-release, i got to play arma III and i got to play carrier command,

which is a nice rts game, just haven't got the hang of it. SC2 is my RTS game and will

stick with that, while we at it

I GOT A PICTURE WITH ME AND WHITE-RA AND ALSO AN AUTOGRAM OMGWTF HAPPY TIME

will post pics later, gotta chill and play some sc2 now xD

• Like 3

this was the best trade fair experience ever.

mostly due to the bohemia appearence, well i honestly just went there for dayz :P

delivered my original heinz baked beans and they really liked that D:

of course all the kids were raging and laughing about the graphic bugs, but wtf?

i guess bohemia interactive is like the only company in gaming business with the guts

to show an alpha release of their product on a trade fair. maybe they should have

put huge ass red flashing light signs on top of the screens screaming ALPHA

at the players

really was worth the time.

i got to play dayz 1.7.3 pre-release, i got to play arma III and i got to play carrier command,

which is a nice rts game, just haven't got the hang of it. SC2 is my RTS game and will

stick with that, while we at it

I GOT A PICTURE WITH ME AND WHITE-RA AND ALSO AN AUTOGRAM OMGWTF HAPPY TIME

will post pics later, gotta chill and play some sc2 now xD

lol, the problem is that dayz isn't as much of a "mod" as people come to think. the only thing it added that wasn't present in the original game is beans, coke, and persistent stats tracking. saying that dayz is an alpha is like saying arma 2 is in alpha.

besides this isn't a free game, we all paid $20-$30 to play.

newsflash: the dayz dev. team are all BIS employees and not an independent 3rd party group. we ARE paying for dayz, but they're not delivering

No you dont pay for the Dayz Mod, the Mod is free. You have to pay for the Dayz Standalone Game ;)

I saw some Interviews with Dean Hall on the Gamescom.

1.7.3 will be released after the Gamescom, thats a great news ;)